Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
0900 Start for the first time in months set off without winter jacket just long sleeved top and lightweight gillet. Anstey to Rothley via Cropston to meeting point .After meeting up with mate it was off through Swithland, left in Swithland and back towards Cropston reservoir and pass the Hallgates entrance of Bradgate park and on pass Swithland woods.on up the slow drag up Joe Moore's lane pass the golf course and on to Beacon crossroads .Left and left again on to Charley rd left through Oaks in Charnwood and on pass Mounts St Bernard's Abbey down the lovely descent of swanymote rd across the A511 and out to Belton .Change of normal route and turned out towards Diseworth .from Diseworth back to Long Wharton and across the A6 and out to Zouch .Turned right into Normanton on Soar .up out of the village up a couple of nasty climbs and on to Stanford on Soar on to Walton on the wolds again couple of nasty climbs on the way out.on to mates house at Sileby via another climb at big lane .Stopped at mates for quick chat removed gillet as the sun was coming out :sun:on towards home via Cossington and Rothley quick stop at Rothley station on the Great central line to watch a steam train leave the station and on to Cropston an home .44 miles done at an average of 12.8 mph .managed the whole ride without using the smallest cog on the triple at the front I must be getting fitter. Lovely ride in improving weather roll on the summer

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
well my 3 ride in seven days ^_^ started off ok but after about 3 miles legs felt like lead :sad: was not enjoying it at all, so decided to head back home ...almost at home meet the same couple I bumped into on fri ride who were trying to do the aycliffe walk route , but had missed a turn and ended up on the cycle path which runs around the town .I explained were they had gone wrong, but I could tell that they were still unsure ..lol so I took them around the whole route, ...after that the old legs did not feel so bad ^_^ so I had a ride to shildon on the new cycle path along side the rail line up through the town dropped down to middridge took a left dead end road but a nice little track takes you back to the cycle path by the rail line and was surprised at the distance 20 miles ^_^:bravo: wtg me :laugh::laugh::laugh: was a really nice ride :okay: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/72612
WP_20150322_002.jpg

an old railway line(great aycliffe walk)
WP_20150322_003.jpg
WP_20150322_004.jpg

the cycle path from aycliffe station to shildon station
WP_20150322_007.jpg

time to refuel ^_^
WP_20150322_008.jpg

a piece of art work at aycliffe station made I belive by local blacksmith from little newsham
WP_20150322_009.jpg
WP_20150322_013.jpg

BigAl68

Über Member
I haven't been on a bike since Tuesday as I have been suffering with a cough/cold/voniting bug.

Went out with a good mate who is a MTB rider and we had a good 60 miles plus ride from Bristol out through Bath and along N24 to Frome and then back again. Just had two pints in the pub and now going to sit in the garden and let my lungs recover.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
0900 Start for the first time in months set off without winter jacket just long sleeved top and lightweight gillet. Anstey to Rothley via Cropston to meeting point .After meeting up with mate it was off through Swithland, left in Swithland and back towards Cropston reservoir and pass the Hallgates entrance of Bradgate park and on pass Swithland woods.on up the slow drag up Joe Moore's lane pass the golf course and on to Beacon crossroads .Left and left again on to Charley rd left through Oaks in Charnwood and on pass Mounts St Bernard's Abbey down the lovely descent of swanymote rd across the A511 and out to Belton .Change of normal route and turned out towards Diseworth .from Diseworth back to Long Wharton and across the A6 and out to Zouch .Turned right into Normanton on Soar .up out of the village up a couple of nasty climbs and on to Stanford on Soar on to Walton on the wolds again couple of nasty climbs on the way out.on to mates house at Sileby via another climb at big lane .Stopped at mates for quick chat removed billet as the sun was coming out :sun:on towards home via Cossington and Rothley quick stop at Rothley station on the Great central line to watch a steam train leave the station and on to Cropston an home .44 miles done at an average of 12.8 mph .managed the whole ride without using the smallest cog on the triple at the front I must be getting fitter. Lovely ride in improving weather roll on the summer
Ridden to Bradgate a few times many years ago along the A50 as it was then, the roads were a bit quieter 20 years ago mind .

13 rider

Guru
Ridden to Bradgate a few times many years ago along the A50 as it was then, the roads were a bit quieter 20 years ago mind .
Would fancy riding the A50 now.plenty of quiet lanes between you and me have you done the cloud trail ? .We passed about a mile away from its end at Breedon on the hill

D

Deleted member 1258

Cathorpe the destination, 53 miles the journey, first ride on gears since October, got up this morning to find my mojo awol, made myself go out and found my mojo had taken my legs with it, short ride to the cafe and an early stop, took a more scenic route home and felt better as the ride progressd, it got quite pleasent towards the end, I'm hoping that as the weather gets better so things will pick up.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Logged in at a McDonalds as we are down South. We have just had a 19 1/4 mile ride from Burley, back to Burley via some Forest paths, past the Canadian Memorial, along an Ornamental Drive - which didn't look very ornamental to us. Just a narrow road through the forest. Past lots of ponies (I told my ex husband that New Forest ponies were famous for being the only horses on the planet with a taste for human flesh and he believed me!! Pillock. This one is not so gullible). We had a map and stopped several times to make sure that we were on some sort of route, we didn't go through Brockenhurst but along a cyclepath and bypassed it and then back into Burley and up the hill to where we have found some nice parking.
19.27miles in 1:45:37 and 11.8 moving average and 1100+' of climbing. I thought that the New Forest was flat. It seems it's not as flat as Norfolk. We had a lovely time and stopped at the top of a moor and had a nice lemon and yoghurt bar for lunch each, while watching the ponies on the moor and the roadies bomb by on the road. We had a great time. Back home tomorrow. @StickBouncer is fish sitting for us.

gavgav

Guru
Not a ride, but progress in getting my bike to my new house, I have a constructed shed and have added the extra security needed on the "bolt" front, so just need to pick up my bike later this week and ride it back to my new house and I will be out on a regular basis again :hyper:

Third ride of the year on the tandem. Grey and cool to begin with but brightened up and temp rose as high as 12 degrees, very pleasant :sun:
47 miles, out through Dalmeny and Hopetoun to Blackness, scrambled egg roll and fruit scone in Linlithgow, return via Beecraigs and Almondell CP.
Just caught a bit on Songs of Praise about a bishop doing his shopping on a tandem :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Jeepers! I'm over 700 miles for the year now. How did that happen? :ohmy: Records tumbling all the time. Today's club ride was a relatively long 'un, heading off through Stroud, up Hyde Hill and round in a big loop through the Cotswolds through villages I had never visited by bike before, such as Rodmarton, Tarlton, Sapperton, Coates, Edgeworth and Miserden. Over 46 miles for me today.

That was only my second ever climb of Hyde Hill, which is a bit of a climb - quite long, and with sections of 14%. The first time I struggled, but today it felt quite comfortable. I will think of it as Jekyll Hill from now on. After not really knowing where I was going for most of the ride, we eventually started seeing signs for Birdlip, and heard someone mention Buckholt Woods. At that point I perked up, as that has to be the best bit of cycling to be had anywhere in the Gloucester,/Stroud/Cheltenham area. Lovely long glide down through the woods on smooth tarmac with views through the trees to the Vale of Gloucester below. Lovely.:okay:

Two problems today:
Firstly, one of our number (who has attended most of our pub evenings but none of our rides for the last 7 weeks) started to struggle quite early on. By the time we were at our furthest point from home, he "bonked", (and not in the nice way). Seeing someone so close to collapse is not a nice thing at all, and we took it in turns to stick with him to the end of the ride, offering encouragement and energy gels all the way. It was painfull to watch, but I guess we've all been there ..... I certainly have been. He stuck at it manfully and made it round a long and hilly course (someone reckoned their Strava said we'd done 800 metres of climbing). Chapeau!:bravo:I have now witnessed the amazing restorative powers of jelly beans.

Second problem: Also at the furthest point near Sapperton, another of our number suffered a broken spoke on his rear wheel and had a magnificent mini tantrum, hurling his bike at a gate. A couple of other riders gave him what little help that could be offered, while the rest of us sat on a Cotswold stone wall munching Twiglets in the sun. At that point, @Dark46 got his camera out and did his David Bailey bit ... photos awaited on his post later. The rear wheel was so distorted that he had to remove his rear brake and complete the ride with only a front brake and a wobbling wheel. You had to feel for him. Not wishing to perform a stunt befitting of "Jackass", he opted to avoid descending the Portway (a local hill that resembles the 90 metre ski jump at Garmisch Partenkirchen) and to go down a much less severe hill instead. I accompanied him down Nut Hill to make sure he was OK.

A great route picked out by @gordyfinbar today, and nice to see @Dark46 making good progress on his new carbon bike. What has happened to that little guy we all used to have to keep stopping and waiting for? @maltloaf also had a new bike on show today, and seemed to be enjoying himself too. All in all, a cracking day out.
Cheers. Donger.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
2nd 'proper' ride out for me in the past month, and my plan was a flat route to investigate a footpath into the woods not far from home. When I got there, however, I was in a nice rhythm which I didn't want to break, so ended up going up Prune Hill, through Englefield Green, then a lap of WGP before home. That was enough for me, 12 miles done, tired but looking forward to Wednesday for the next one.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A fifty two mile loop from Selby through Howden, Holme on Spalding Moor, past The Land of Nod (I kid you not), then Melbourne, Elvington and back to Selby. Flatter than a flat thing sort of ride with only 1000ft of ascent. 13mph moving average. A nice day out.

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 17.20.04.png

20150322_115909.jpg

Howden Minster

20150322_124838.jpg

Signpost pointing to The Land of Nod. It's an unremarkable hamlet of four or five houses.

Top Bottom