Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couple of good rides over the (long) week-end.
Yesterday was a trip down into Suffolk doing some of the bits of next months spring saddle;nice ride considering although I think i did too much in the big gears as I have some knee ache at the moment.Had to use the front wheel from the Icarus as I somehow snapped the valve on the brand new latex tube in the new open pave:rolleyes:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/272412266

Friday was a little ride about to scrub in the new Vittoria open paves mentioned above;have to say they were brilliant on the rough fen roads around here,nice and supple and plenty of cushoning helped probably by some latex tubes.And they roll nicely too:smile:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/271239483

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Couple of good rides over the (long) week-end.
Yesterday was a trip down into Suffolk doing some of the bits of next months spring saddle;nice ride considering although I think i did too much in the big gears as I have some knee ache at the moment.Had to use the front wheel from the Icarus as I somehow snapped the valve on the brand new latex tube in the new open pave:rolleyes:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/272412266

Friday was a little ride about to scrub in the new Vittoria open paves mentioned above;have to say they were brilliant on the rough fen roads around here,nice and supple and plenty of cushoning helped probably by some latex tubes.And they roll nicely too:smile:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/271239483
I use latex tubes on my Cannondale (see a few posts back for a photo of it). I think they do make a subtle but significant improvement to the ride quality of the bike.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It was a lovely day in the Peak District and I'd planned a nice long ride. Got a text on Saturday from the Dad of one of my son's friends asking if I fancy a ride. Mark is about my age, very fit runner but hasn't been on the bike for a few moths. He's got a lad's cycling holiday to Andalucia coming up next month and he needs some miles on the bike in advance. He's never ridden in the Peak District (he he) so I suggested a nice loop. He's one of those guys who likes a challenge, good job.
Glossop - Snake Pass - Edale - Mam Tor - Maynestones Road - Mellor Climb out of New Mills - Glossop. 43 miles with 4300ft of climbing.

Really nice day, sunny, light Westerly. Shorts, short sleeved top with a base layer.

Set off up the Snake. This is about 3 miles of steady 6-8%. I told Mark that I'd ride behind him, he should go at whatever pace he liked. I wouldn't leave him behind. Well, there was no danger of that......blimey, I was just about able to hold his wheel and he actually pulled about 50m away in the last mile or so. *worried face* was this going to be a lesson in riding for me rather than for him?. Rode along nicely together and finally got to Mam Tor. This is a hard climb, much harder than Snake Pass, with a 20% section and plenty of 15%. I was worried after what happened on the Snake......but I needn't have been. Mark conked out on the 20%, had to stop, couldn't restart so I had to do the pro mechanic thing of getting him started with a push.

After that it was Mark suffering on the hills and me happily spinning up. I guess his fitness got him up the Snake quickly but lack of bike fitness (whatever that is) got to him in the end. That and he hadn't eaten properly, he scoffed all my flapjack. He's promised that he'll be back and I suspect he will.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Dragged OH out on a ride, again going south towards the M25. Not so much sun so easier to see the lumps of concrete sticking up rather proud. Met a friendly dog, delighted to meet strangers & hoping for treats, sadly we had none. Riding south you're also going downhill, which is a disadvantage as coming back is uphill!

IMG_1612.JPG

As you approach the M25 the surface has been improved, is flat and quite pleasant. Along this stretch I could hear a bike bell ringing and assumed it was OH warning the people in front. It wasn't, it was someone behind of whom I was totally unaware, so once again, sorry for nearly causing you to have an unscheduled bath. (note to self, look behind when you hear a bell.)

IMG_1615.JPG

It's quite strange how you miss things whilst going in one direction and are quite taken by something in the other. Just after a bridge we saw this marvellous display of spring blossom. (All photos by OH)

6.8 miles, avg 5.0mph

Last edited:
Today saw the first day of my holiday. An early morning round of golf was followed by a ten mile run out on the mtb. Up and round the Hillwood . Up to West Drums and skirt the edge of Montreath wood Big headwind was zapping my reserves but as i turned to head home the Auldbar road i was hit with a tailwind and made good time on the return along the Burghill and home. Sad sight climbing the Hillwood that all the trees are in the middle of being cut down.the hill looks bare now and a lot of childhood memories came back to me. Riding my red Grifter down some of the trails. Suppose thats the life cycle of the trees. Sad to see none the less.Hope to get out a bit this week and hope the weathers not too unkind and i can get some miles in. Ride safe everone. Mike.

thetribe

Über Member
Busy day at work for me (for a Monday) so when I got in a nice gentle ride in the sunshine was just what I needed, 16.1 miles at 14.7mph up and down the coast. Yet again they were out with their big lenses at the local pond so thought I'd join in with my iPhone (pic at the end). Tried to just go easy the whole ride but found a couple of places where I hit a sweet spot so pushed a little harder, but not too often, today was more about enjoying the sunshine. Until half a mile from home that is when raindrops the size of water balloons were hitting my face and jacket, thankfully got home before it turned into anything too nasty.
OutToSea20150323.jpg
Over the fields and out to Sea!

Horse20150323.jpg
Aliens were trying to abduct this poor horse (I think :wacko:)

Pond20150323.jpg
Dunno what the watchers were looking for but I spotted a Duck!

http://www.strava.com/activities/272934156

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Set off up the Snake. This is about 3 miles of steady 6-8%. I told Mark that I'd ride behind him, he should go at whatever pace he liked. I wouldn't leave him behind. Well, there was no danger of that......blimey, I was just about able to hold his wheel and he actually pulled about 50m away in the last mile or so. *worried face* was this going to be a lesson in riding for me rather than for him?
Ha ha - I got caught out like that by a colleague on a mountain bike ride years ago. It was our first ride together and I made a comment about going at his speed. We were coming to a moderately steep, moderately long dirt road and I expected him to falter after a few hundred yards ... He went up the climb like a rat up a drainpipe, leaving me trailing in his wake! :blush:

He waited for me at the top of the climb and I said that he had clearly done a lot more cycling than I knew about. Yeah, right - he had been cycling since he was a child, track cycling, touring, commuting, cyclocross, mountain biking, road racing, time trials ... :laugh:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Due to our weekend away, Hubster was on evening dialysis from 4pm so I went to meet him. 8.92 miles in 40 minutes dead, according to my GPS. 72m of climbing, back to normal urban riding uppy downyness - or not as the case may be.
1st ride without wearing my nightvision waterproof (I left it in the car) so had my zip-up jersey for the first time in a while. It fits again and I have a bit more room in it than I had before so very happy about that.

I had a lovely ride, mostly cycle paths, scalped a couple of ninja cyclists who tried their darnedest to keep up, I could hear one of them behind me having an asthma attack by the sounds of it. I looked behind and said 'see ya', changed gear and buggered off up the hill and there was nothing that he could do about it :laugh: Little victories are very sweet after 50, I have discovered. I had also forgotten what fun night riding is. I had a blast. I thought that I might be a bit stiff after a 4 mile dog walk today and the near 20 mile ride yesterday but I felt really fresh.

@StickBouncer's bike is here, I'll ride it down to him tomorrow, if it doesn't rain. It'll be nice to ride the Defy again. Hubster wants to ride tomorrow so we'll go for a ride first. Really feeling the benefits of keeping riding over the winter this year. I have not been riding the mileages of a lot on here but I've done 260+ miles this year, which is pretty much unheard of for previous years. I blame Eric, the CX bike.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I remember the old clickers, I haven't seen one for ages.

Me neither. I used to have one on a bike when I was a lad. I remember that I kept looking down at it when it got to 199.9 or whatever to watch it roll over to 200.0

I was trying to tell my son the pleasure you used to have in a car when it got to , say, 49,999 and then rolled over to 50,000 miles but he looked at me like I was talking gibberish

Top Bottom