Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok last time i posted on here i managed two rides out on two days in a row. I thought i'd cracked it and that was me back on it again . However work took off at a pace and here i find myself back to square one. This week i've managed to get a couple of small miles rides in and it really does feel like i'm starting from scratch both in fitness and miles . So instead of posting each day of the last week i'll lump them together until i get the mileage up a bit. Monday past saw me tackle a hilly 5 miler which made my knees protest. Wednesday i managed a cheeky 4 miles before stopping for Costa. Saturday did 6 miles before dropping in on my mum and dad . The significant thing about this ride was it was the first run out i have enjoyed despite my sore bits , and i thought the hills were getting easier. Shout out a big SORRY to the gent out walking his dog who i surprised , i must look into getting a bell or air horn fitted.....all this done as always on my trusty mtb. Ride safe boys and girls.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
How on earth can two trips into town to get some essentials (beer, rolls, bacon, pizzas, crisps & bananas) take 35 miles?

The first trip was out along a bridleway that links up to a back road that then joins the road down to Felixstowe Ferry, then I doubled back into the Town centre and then along the main sea front to the viewpoint at Felixstowe Dock for a quick stop and to watch the MSC Maya being worked
Felixstowe Dock.jpg

From there it was back along the seafront with a quick stop at the Sunday market and then home to unload the backpack. A short stop for a cup of coffee, then it was back out in the opposite direction to do a loop up to and round Kirton and Falkenham before heading back into town for the final bits and back home along the scenic route.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This is an account of my ride last Thursday. I delayed posting for reasons I shall explain...

I had time for an afternoon ride, but I needed to be able to return home quickly should I get a particular call (I didn't). Making the best of things, I decided to give myself an impression of Amanda Coker's year in the treadmill. Not as fast, not so many revolutions, just one day. But hillier!

LeadonCircuit.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/680991068

Clockwise around the large circuit, anticlockwise 11½ times around the small circuit (most of which I'd never ridden before) which measured just over 7 miles. I intended to ride gently for about 60 miles, then up the pace a bit and finish strongly. It didn't quite work out that way. Reaching the 7 mile circuit took precisely half an hour, and at a stretch I could manage a lap in just under half an hour (very slow to many here I know). Honour clearly demanded that I should maintain 30 minute laps, and this thinking was soon dominating everything else.

The circuit involved two crossings of the river Leadon, a minor tributary of the Severn, with gentle rises between on each side. At both crossings there are old watermills with the original wheels in situ, apparently largely intact. The route was thoroughly pleasant, but farm traffic was often an irritation. I wonder what they were saying about me...

I tried to imagine a merry band of domestiques, and a backup team supplying cold drinks and cream cakes every lap. I think this would help quite a bit. In the absence of such support I don't think I'll be trying something like this again!

When I finally left the circuit I had intended to return home via the excellent section of road below:

Wainlode.jpg

This must be a well-loved and important route to many cyclists in the area. Unfortunately, on Thursday I found it awash with stones and all but unrideable. Another cyclist arrived just after me, and he did proceed. His Strava activity shows that it took him over 50% longer than usual. He was even slower than I usually am on the 1 in 5 hill, suggesting that he must have walked.

I went back today (by car and on foot) to have a closer look. I think the section is now largely safe to ride, but descending the hill (there is a busy pub at the bottom) remains hazardous. To anyone local I would advise caution for a few weeks at least.

To add insult to injury, at the end of my ride I found that the entire A38 between Tewkesbury and Gloucester has also been covered in stones, so I arrived home feeling pretty knocked about. A century, and mission accomplished. Without a GPS record I'd be finding it hard to believe that any of this actually happened!

Club ride with HDW yesterday - somehow forgot to post this

Supposed destination was Secretts Garden centre at Milford with slightly shorted option to Seale
For some reason some people did not fancy one or the other

Seale has not been so good since a change of management.

One guy wanted to doBadshot Lea instead

So I joined the smaller group of 4 to Badshot Lea

Down via Chobham, Bisley, Mychett, Ash Vale

Badshot Lea is near Farnham

Fortified by breakfast roll, returned via the hilly bit, Wanborough Shackleford Puttenham (crossing Hog's Back a couple of times), then through Bisley again and a different way skirting Chobham and back

60.2 miles at 16.6 mph (Garmin has a habit of making it less)

2300 feet climbed

Good ride- smaller group led bya different guy kept a good pace without making it too hard

And yet there was a mystery - head wind on the way out and yet many sections of the return route had a headwind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/683773511

Couple of rides to report;

Didn't get out Friday or Saturday so chomping at the bit I went for a quick stomp to try out the new wheels and tubs.

40k blast firstly in to the wind to Sutton and then down by the New Bedford river to Earith and the familiar run to Haddenham and then back home via Witchford.

Should have been a tailwind back but it never seems to work that way out here so was more of a backside wind really.

New wheels were good and didn't have any problems with the sidewinds which was good considering the 25mph+ gusts.

https://www.strava.com/activities/683853265

Bike against a wall pic;

IMG_20160821_143840897.jpg

And the FMB Paris-Roubaix tubs;

IMG_20160821_144043144.jpg

This morning was a later start due to a last minute wheel swap due to a failed tubeless repair.

Hard work today with a still strong wind,a loaded bike and heavy legs plus the extra drag of the Grifo cross tyres.

Straight run to Waterbeach on the A10 before turning off along the Cam path to Chesterton;saw a group of Cormorants and a Heron close up(it didn't flinch when I went past)plus the usual swans.

https://www.strava.com/activities/684602670

This time a bike against a bench shot;

IMG_20160822_071341104.jpg

Actually found another reason for the sluggishness when I stopped to take that shot,found that the rear disc was dragging as I had obviously not aligned the wheel right in the rush this morning.

And my nice Gore Windstopper jacket, whilst windproof, is about as waterproof as a teabag. Recommendations for a lightweight packable jacket welcomed:okay:

The Endura fs-pro ones are supposed to be very good;not that cheap and race fit so might need to try one.

Race cape

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/En...M4GeHqiSzCsfq0zH2DQ1wRoCWzrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jacket

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/endura-fs260-pro-sl-shell-review.html

http://road.cc/content/review/173685-endura-fs260-pro-adrenaline-race-cape

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Another 7.2 miles yesterday, more cyclists, less grain elevator, a lovely day for a ride. Was able to get the Trek 600 up to 25 on a downhill, and 18 on the flats, at times. In all, a very successful trip, average about 12 mph. May start extending these rides again soon.
75F
Winds WNW 16, G21.
Relative humidity 52%
Barometer 30.04
Partly cloudy

I'd planned to do a longer ride today, and last night mapped a 62 mile ride, essentially a few of my usual loops linked together with the odd new bit thrown in. Nice to see the Met Office forecast rain at 8, so I made sure I was out at 7:40 just so I could catch it:laugh: Definitely a bit chilly this morning, so put on my newly arrived arm warmers, which as it turns out, stayed on the whole ride. I managed as far as Weybridge, circa 6 miles, before the first shower. Light enough not to bother with putting a coat on, and by Walton it had passed.
New territory for me up into Esher, passing around the back of Sandown Park racecourse where the next shower arrived, still light enough to continue. Onwards and over the Thames at Hampton Court before a minor diversion off the planned route, heading to Kingston Bridge then round the edge of Bushy Park, entering from the Teddington side. Once I started back towards Lower Sunbury the rain came again, and was soon apparent this was no shower. It absolutely belted down, and combined with the gusty wind made things a bit more challenging:rain::rain:Coat on, and I pushed on into the wind through to Laleham and Staines, where the rain stopped. 31 miles done at this stage, the point at which I normally get back home. Not today, I ate one of my bits of Soreen and continued to Wraysbury, Datchet & Eton, crossing the Thames into Windsor. Next was a horrible slog along Sheet Road, normally OK, but uphill into the wind today I was lucky to manage 10 mph. Mind you, no other cyclist overtook me so we must have all been finding it hard work I guess....
Ascot racecourse was next, then my usual Sunninghill, Windlesham, Lightwater route home.

65.9 miles completed, and my first ever metric century:hyper::hyper: Brings total for this week 209 miles, and allows me a nice rest day tomorrow in my 777 mile target for the month challenge.

Today I discovered a few things. It is possible to ride 100km and walk the dogs afterwards. Any more than the miles I did today, a coffee stop would be welcome.
And my nice Gore Windstopper jacket, whilst windproof, is about as waterproof as a teabag. Recommendations for a lightweight packable jacket welcomed:okay:
Thanks great read most of your route wa through " money " areas wasn't it. I,ll take the GW jacket of my want list now after reading your comment on it. That will at least stop my wife saying " not another jacket ". Getting a good one is like getting the holy grail isn't it |

Thanks unless I read a convincing alternative view I could be seeking this out when I get the money.
Psst don't tell my wife though.

Alright! Who turned the wind turbines on? Is was damn windy out there today. Not howling gale winds but strong enough to make a nice, simple ride a thorough thigh burning exercise in bike work. A tough old day. At least it didn't rain and the temperatures, even at 6am in the morning were very mild.
I was going to make it a quick 100 miler down to Ashford and back. But instead of the usual there and back route I usually do, I thought I would throw in a few diversions. A case of, OK let's go this way for a change to see where it ends up. No plan or map, just point the bike and follow the front wheel.

The wind wasn't too bad on the way down, but I knew that for the return it was going to be a different matter. And so it proved. I kept the cadence up in lower gears, got my head down, trying not to battle the headwinds. I was losing average speed quite rapidly but I wasn't going to bust a gut, especially as I have a full week's commute coming up.

The normal Ashford and back route is 100 miles on the dot. I was chasing Eddington numbers so decided to add a few miles and to get out of the wind by adding in a couple of hills. Long hill climbs in preference to headwinds... not sure how I worked that one out in my brain.

It didn't take long once I had climbed the North Down's to get back home again. The wind still hindering my progress. I got home with 112 miles on the clock. Only a couple of extra Eddingtons, but Eddington's never the less. Not bad considering the conditions out there.

Anyway. The Score on the doors.
Century #24 for the year, # 190 over all
Map and stats
View attachment 140698

Ome Groan?
View attachment 140700

The Hubert Fountain, Victoria Park, Ashford.
View attachment 140701

So, ok, who's great idea was this?
View attachment 140702

Oh well... what goes up..... must come down.... Into one of Kent's finest cycling roads. Knatt's Valley
View attachment 140707

View attachment 140703

..... I would say it was a lovely day for a cycle ride... well it was.. and it wasn't.... good to get out on the bike and put the miles in, and on the other hand, the wind can do one.
Thanks Ian I knew it anyway but looking at those stats your tougher than me

Banjo and Donger's Grand Day Out:
I'd been wanting to do a ride in the Rhondda Valley area of Wales for years, and I mentioned that fact on Cyclechat a while ago. Straight away, up popped @Banjo, who I'd finished an audax with last year, offering his services as a local guide and riding partner. Too good an offer to turn down. And so it was that we met up in a lay-by in Aberdulais, near Neath this morning to set off on a 43 mile circuit taking in two big mountains, the Bwllch and the Rhigos and a stretch of the upper Rhondda near Treorchy. After Neath, the long, steady climb of the Bwllch started in reasonable weather of sunshine and clouds, passing rows of picturesque old miners' cottages:
View attachment 140776
The first drinks break was taken at Blaengwynfi. This is Banjo, sporting his rather fetching "Dragon Ride Wales" jersey (I secretly wanted one, but I'm not worthy, as I've never done that ride):
View attachment 140777
..... and me in my Black Cuillin (beer) jersey ..... I definitely qualify to wear that one, having drunk plenty of the stuff:
View attachment 140778
We stopped for a photo op near the top of the Bwllch (pronounced like you are just seeing your lunch for the second time after your exertions), with such glorious views back down the way we had come:
View attachment 140779
As soon as you get to the very top, you get the most breathtaking view of the road descending into the Rhondda Valley at Treorchy. It was while driving along this road earlier this year with Mrs Donger that I decided I just had to ride it. The descent was every bit as good as it looks:
View attachment 140781
This very friendly sheep turned up wanting a fuss just before we started our descent into Treorchy:
View attachment 140782
In football parlance, this was a "game of two halves". After fine, sometimes sunny weather on the first climb, came the wet part of the ride. After a coffee and bacon butty stop at the Cardiff Arms Park cafe in Treherbert, we set off on the second big climb up the Rhigos (pronounced Rickoss, I am reliably informed). Half way up, it started to rain, and it never actually stopped. In this shot you can see what it is supposed to look like from the top:
View attachment 140783
Then came another great descent. I imagine @Banjo enjoyed it even more than me, as he has disc brakes ... I could be forgiven for thinking I had no brakes at all in the wet conditions. As you can see, it was steep:
View attachment 140784
We commemorated the occasion with this very wet looking selfie:
View attachment 140785
With place names like Glyncorrwg, Ynyswen and Cwmgwrach , it seems they are going through the Great Vowel Shortage of 2016 in these parts. I helped to redress the balance a little with a few "Weeeee!"s and "WooooHoooo!"s on my way down the two descents. Balance is restored.
@Banjo was the perfect guide and host for this ride, and a real gent too. Despite the rain in the second half of the ride, I had the time of my life. This may have been the first whole ride we have done together, but it definitely won't be the last. Thanks Banjo. Actually, it got me wondering why there are not more of these joint rides going on. I'm certainly up for guiding any of you around the very best places in my part of Gloucestershire, and in joining in more "exchange" rides like this. This had to be one of my best rides of the year, and I have two mountains to tick off the list in the "100 greatest climbs" book. A cracking day out.
Cheers, Donger.
Great ride report but even better you,ve made a new best mate. I thought cycling in the Alps was tough !

Thanks unless I read a convincing alternative view I could be seeking this out when I get the money.
Psst don't tell my wife though.

I very nearly bought one in the Giant shop in Cambridge after trying one on,it's very,very light a bit like the Sportful Hot Pack stuff; I'd like a look at the jacket first before making a descision though(will have to see if the local Evans has them);they both don't seem to be discounted that much which might tell you something.

BSRU

A Human Being
Got out for a 100km ride with 1300 metres of going up:sweat:.
Weather was warm but overcast(most of the time) with a fairly stiff breeze, which was very welcome when it was a tailwind(especially up the climbs:okay:).

A lovely ride around the Wiltshire countryside a little spoilt in the last few kilometres by a crappy white van man taking exception to my road position, they wanted to squeeze past me as a car passed in the opposite direction:wacko:.

A view from the top of Alton Barnes climb, near one of the Wiltshire white horses.
C0009(2).png

A babbling brook just outside of Marlborough.
C0012(2).png

Can never remember seeing a Canyon on my travels, looks like a Movistar fan.
C0012(3).png

Started recovery with some sultana and cherry cake, maybe more required:tongue:.

Top Bottom