Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
26 miles around Lake Annecy for us.
14079861_10208760747949474_4668411029760055346_n.jpg

Dan's Owd Man

Short test ride today.
Dug my Viscount Aerospace Pro out from under the floor in the bilge.(Live in an old coal barge)
Last time i rode it i was less than happy with the seat so i changed it this morning for one similar to the ones i use on my MTB's.Not period but it does say Viscount on it(not the same as the make of bike).
Went round a small loop around two and a bit villages,after first loop i made adjustments to seat height and fore/aft position.Second loop felt a lot better.
https://www.strava.com/activities/683880480

Picture of bike by an old stone removed from the old toll house at Cavandish Bridge over the Trent.
20160821_153206.jpg
20160806_172917.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Apologies, as I'm a day late (again):

Yesterday me and my mate Tim rode the Wiggle Yorkshire Tour Sportive.
You may have seen the forecast - apocalyptic just about covers what was foretold.
Well, we Yorkshire folk are made of stern stuff, and besides we'd paid a non-refundable entry fee so off we set. Although to be on the safe side, I did take a shower proof jacket. ;)
The sun was out for the entire drive up to the start point at Thirsk Racecourse and it had only just started to cloud over as we started the non-competitive event.
As is usual, we let the racing snakes do their own thing and set our own pace, but we really rattled on for the first 12 miles with the average speed not dropping below 16.5mph. Then we turned back into the wind and started to encounter a few hills. We also encountered the first rain drops of the day, but they came and went as quickly as they'd arrived, so on we rolled through some of the most picturesque countryside the Vale of York has to offer.
Through Leeming Bar and across the level crossing as the steam train sat in the station was quite nice, then over the A1(M) and on to Carthorpe and the first feed station at 27 miles.
Refreshed and on our way, another shower rolled in as we left the village, but again it soon passed and on we rode, wondering how had the forecasters got it so wrong (again). Yes it was breezy, but sheltered by the hedgerows it seemed nothing like the doom and gloom that had been promised, and again the sun came out.
As we headed west we started to encounter more hills, but we kept on at a decent average speed, even catching and passing a few of the racing snakes who'd set out at such a furious pace. The nearer we got to Leyburn the more frequent the hills got, and they were getting steeper too, so the drop into the town was appreciated and by heck it was busy. Right onto Moor Rd and the big hill of the day, Whipperdale Bank. Tim isn't much of a climber, so we had an agreement that if I got ahead on any of the hills that I was to carry on and wait for him at the top. I was waiting quite a while, but he eventually hoved into view but something wasn't right. As he stopped alongside me he advised that his knee felt funny and was giving him some pain, but he'd managed the hill and was keen to push on.
Out onto the moors and then left by the army firing ranges (no tanks out today) and along the lumpy tops, before the big descent down the delightfully named Sissy Bank before looping back towards Leyburn, hitting the next (and last) feed station at 54 miles.
Tim's knee was still there, so after using the facilities and eating some flapjack we pushed on up the sharp climb back into Leyburn, through the market square and then the blooming fantastic descent down to the River Ure and Middleham.
Through there and then the weather really turned and the rain and wind started, making the next 8 miles to Masham a bit of a grind on a surprisingly busy road.
Top marks to the two baseball capped herberts in a Yaris who overtook me on the brow of a hump backed bridge :eek:
Masham was as delightful as ever and I must remember to go back when I can stop for a mooch around, but that climb from the river up past the camp site (enlightened by a grumpy git in a Rover 75 honking his horn at EVERY cyclist he passed) and then up the B6267 was a sneaky swine at this point in the ride.
The descent back down the other side was worth it though.
From there it was back to the rolling countryside and although the wind was really whipping up now we were fortunately sheltered from the worst of it most of the time and the rain had all but stopped, stopping all together as we approached the A1(M) and were cheered on by two lovely Geordie lady marshals.:bravo:
Unfortunately Tim was in quite a bit of pain now so this slowed him down, but we'd started the ride together so we were going to finish it together, even if it meant waiting and backing off the pace a bit.
More gently undulating countryside, even if the final run in was on the A61 and finally, the finish was in sight and we turned back into the racecourse for medals, T-shirts and protein bars all round.:okay:

80.89 miles (130.8 km) in 5hrs 51m at an average of 13.6mph, with a whopping 4,064ft climbed. That's a new furthest distance and a new total ascent record for me and I'm really pleased with that.
As for the weather, well it wasn't pleasant at times,but there was no way it was anywhere near as bad as forecast again and it does make you wonder if forecasting has become a case of simply pushing the worst case scenario every time..? I've certainly been out in worse and I'm sure pretty much everyone who took part has.

Sadly, there were no pics on the way round, but here's my attempt at an arty shot when I arrived at Thirsk Racecourse
IMG_20160820_071405837_HDR.jpg

I'm also sad to report that yesterday was probably the final sportive outing for the trusty Road Comp as I picked my new bike up this morning...(see my next post)

And here is a map of our grand day out:
20082016.JPG

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Right, after yesterdays marathon effort, it was a much shorter ride today as I picked up my new Boardman Road Pro Carbon.

I was approached by three people in the car park as I was getting ready to ride off who wanted to chat about the bike, what was it, how good it looked and in one case, scarcely believing that Halfords sold such bikes - yes, I really did buy it here :laugh:

Oh my giddy aunt, how much faster than my Road Comp is this beast? And that's with my legs all but empty after yesterdays efforts.
So, sadly todays ride was just a quick shake down and to get the bike up home, but I still managed to completed 8.25 miles (13.27 km), every single one of them with a smile on my face, even if I couldn't do the bike justice today. I think this is going to be fun...;)

IMG_20160821_144417582_HDR.jpg

The Garmin no longer resides at such a jaunty, unaerodynamic and frankly unreadable angle, but it was the only way I could mount it with the reflector still in place.
The reflector is now history and the balance of the universe has been restored.:whistle:

I'm undecided as to leaving the (lovely and plush) black bar tape in place, or replacing it with some in green.

13 rider

Guru
Apologies, as I'm a day late (again):

Yesterday me and my mate Tim rode the Wiggle Yorkshire Tour Sportive.
You may have seen the forecast - apocalyptic just about covers what was foretold.
Well, we Yorkshire folk are made of stern stuff, and besides we'd paid a non-refundable entry fee so off we set. Although to be on the safe side, I did take a shower proof jacket. ;)
The sun was out for the entire drive up to the start point at Thirsk Racecourse and it had only just started to cloud over as we started the non-competitive event.
As is usual, we let the racing snakes do their own thing and set our own pace, but we really rattled on for the first 12 miles with the average speed not dropping below 16.5mph. Then we turned back into the wind and started to encounter a few hills. We also encountered the first rain drops of the day, but they came and went as quickly as they'd arrived, so on we rolled through some of the most picturesque countryside the Vale of York has to offer.
Through Leeming Bar and across the level crossing as the steam train sat in the station was quite nice, then over the A1(M) and on to Carthorpe and the first feed station at 27 miles.
Refreshed and on our way, another shower rolled in as we left the village, but again it soon passed and on we rode, wondering how had the forecasters got it so wrong (again). Yes it was breezy, but sheltered by the hedgerows it seemed nothing like the doom and gloom that had been promised, and again the sun came out.
As we headed west we started to encounter more hills, but we kept on at a decent average speed, even catching and passing a few of the racing snakes who'd set out at such a furious pace. The nearer we got to Leyburn the more frequent the hills got, and they were getting steeper too, so the drop into the town was appreciated and by heck it was busy. Right onto Moor Rd and the big hill of the day, Whipperdale Bank. Tim isn't much of a climber, so we had an agreement that if I got ahead on any of the hills that I was to carry on and wait for him at the top. I was waiting quite a while, but he eventually hoved into view but something wasn't right. As he stopped alongside me he advised that his knee felt funny and was giving him some pain, but he'd managed the hill and was keen to push on.
Out onto the moors and then left by the army firing ranges (no tanks out today) and along the lumpy tops, before the big descent down the delightfully named Sissy Bank before looping back towards Leyburn, hitting the next (and last) feed station at 54 miles.
Tim's knee was still there, so after using the facilities and eating some flapjack we pushed on up the sharp climb back into Leyburn, through the market square and then the blooming fantastic descent down to the River Ure and Middleham.
Through there and then the weather really turned and the rain and wind started, making the next 8 miles to Masham a bit of a grind on a surprisingly busy road.
Top marks to the two baseball capped herberts in a Yaris who overtook me on the brow of a hump backed bridge :eek:
Masham was as delightful as ever and I must remember to go back when I can stop for a mooch around, but that climb from the river up past the camp site (enlightened by a grumpy git in a Rover 75 honking his horn at EVERY cyclist he passed) and then up the B6267 was a sneaky swine at this point in the ride.
The descent back down the other side was worth it though.
From there it was back to the rolling countryside and although the wind was really whipping up now we were fortunately sheltered from the worst of it most of the time and the rain had all but stopped, stopping all together as we approached the A1(M) and were cheered on by two lovely Geordie lady marshals.:bravo:
Unfortunately Tim was in quite a bit of pain now so this slowed him down, but we'd started the ride together so we were going to finish it together, even if it meant waiting and backing off the pace a bit.
More gently undulating countryside, even if the final run in was on the A61 and finally, the finish was in sight and we turned back into the racecourse for medals, T-shirts and protein bars all round.:okay:

80.89 miles (130.8 km) in 5hrs 51m at an average of 13.6mph, with a whopping 4,064ft climbed. That's a new furthest distance and a new total ascent record for me and I'm really pleased with that.
As for the weather, well it wasn't pleasant at times,but there was no way it was anywhere near as bad as forecast again and it does make you wonder if forecasting has become a case of simply pushing the worst case scenario every time..? I've certainly been out in worse and I'm sure pretty much everyone who took part has.

Sadly, there were no pics on the way round, but here's my attempt at an arty shot when I arrived at Thirsk Racecourse
View attachment 140735
I'm also sad to report that yesterday was probably the final sportive outing for the trusty Road Comp as I picked my new bike up this morning...(see my next post)

And here is a map of our grand day out:
View attachment 140740
:notworthy:well done I was out yesterday and did think I glad Im not @NorthernDave doing that sportive . And well done for sticking with your mate ride together finish together :smile:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I had a really nice ride today, with the pleasant surprise of some good company half way through. Initially I headed north out of Hitchin through Baldock, then out into the open Hertfordshire countryside through Ashwell, Guilden Morden and Wrestlingworth. Pretty fast going with the wind at my back, but for some reason it was a little hillier than I expected! The whole point of riding north was to avoid hills... ah well, now I know; There's no avoiding them (although Norfolk might be worth a look!)
I finished the outbound half with the long shallow climb up to Cockayne, then a 180 to head back into Wrestlingworth where I'd seen a little band of cyclists enjoying a pint. I thought it looked a good place to stop and the band of bikers turned out to be a gregarious bunch from Baldock. I was made welcome to join them and so the ride back south, while unpleasantly windy, was actually very good fun on some nice, flowing roads with a couple more hills thrown in. One of the group even treated me to a pint as they stopped in Baldock, and I just had another couple of miles to go to get home.

37 miles at average 14mph.

Route.png

Some dramatic skies around today:
field.jpg

Field 2.jpg

Riding with the group I met, pretty strung out at times in the wind:

Riders.jpg

Thanks for your company today if any of you are reading!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The wind was blowing as we set off from Keyworth. We had taken our road bikes on a trip half way around England and not used them, so Jo and I were on solo bikes, Keith and Joyce on the tandem.
Into the sticks we went, the terrain more hilly than Cambridgeshire.
image.jpeg

There were some lovely swooping and sweeping downhills, every now and then we rolled through a pretty village.
One of the villages we went through was Hoby, here's the church
image.jpeg

On we went to Mountsorrel. There we bumped into Keith's touring buddy, Lionel and a few more of his regular riding mates.
Tea and cake was had, then we made our way back through rolling countryside. There was a nice hill into Burton on the wolds, I waited at the top...
image.jpeg

Towards Keyworth we were straight into a strengthening wind, puts hairs on your chest so it does!
image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/683677628

38 midland miles.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had a ride out with my brother today for the first time in a while. We have a partially hilly ride in Wales coming up in the not too distant future so he needs to do some miles in preparation.

The route today was over Lyth Hill, through Exfords Green, Longden and Plealey then up to Oaks before returning. Going over Lyth Hill, Doug opted for a different way to the one I'd intended, dropping down to the A49 then doubling back to Exfords Green rather than right over the top. Once we'd made the turn we had the wind against us which was quite strong (it's all good training Doug ;)) and with a good climb to work against at one point as well.

On the main climb up to Oaks we were sheltered from the wind but Doug was finding it hard going approaching from this side, which is a steeper lane than the way we usually go, and needed a break about 2/3 of the way up. Once at the top we decided to head back down the alternative way, which was a good fast descent, then I took him back towards Longden and headed straight through the village before heading back towards Lyth Hill making it into a figure of eight route. There was another steep climb over Lyth Hill (to the top this time) before heading back.

14.7 miles at 11.1 mph average which I think is quite good for someone out of practise on a quite hilly route.:okay:

DSC0003761.jpg

Suffering a bit on the climb.

DSC0003764.jpg

You get some decent views from up here (nearly at Oaks).

DSC0003766.jpg

Later on at Lyth Hill, Doug looks a lot happier than he did.

DSC0003767.jpg

I don't often get pictured in my own ride reports..... now you know why.:whistle:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
The wind was blowing as we set off from Keyworth. We had taken our road bikes on a trip half way around England and not used them, so Jo and I were on solo bikes, Keith and Joyce on the tandem.
Into the sticks we went, the terrain more hilly than Cambridgeshire.
View attachment 140761

There were some lovely swooping and sweeping downhills, every now and then we rolled through a pretty village.
One of the villages we went through was Hoby, here's the church
View attachment 140762

On we went to Mountsorrel. There we bumped into Keith's touring buddy, Lionel and a few more of his regular riding mates.
Tea and cake was had, then we made our way back through rolling countryside. There was a nice hill into Burton on the wolds, I waited at the top...
View attachment 140763

Towards Keyworth we were straight into a strengthening wind, puts hairs on your chest so it does!
View attachment 140764

https://www.strava.com/activities/683677628

38 midland miles.
Some local roads to me there . My favourite routes is up the Wreake valley Cossington to Saxelby . Nice rolling terrain

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Banjo and Donger's Grand Day Out:
I'd been wanting to do a ride in the Rhondda Valley area of Wales for years, and I mentioned that fact on Cyclechat a while ago. Straight away, up popped @Banjo, who I'd finished an audax with last year, offering his services as a local guide and riding partner. Too good an offer to turn down. And so it was that we met up in a lay-by in Aberdulais, near Neath this morning to set off on a 43 mile circuit taking in two big mountains, the Bwllch and the Rhigos and a stretch of the upper Rhondda near Treorchy. After Neath, the long, steady climb of the Bwllch started in reasonable weather of sunshine and clouds, passing rows of picturesque old miners' cottages:
DSCF4141.JPG

The first drinks break was taken at Blaengwynfi. This is Banjo, sporting his rather fetching "Dragon Ride Wales" jersey (I secretly wanted one, but I'm not worthy, as I've never done that ride):
DSCF4142.JPG

..... and me in my Black Cuillin (beer) jersey ..... I definitely qualify to wear that one, having drunk plenty of the stuff:
DSCF4143.JPG

We stopped for a photo op near the top of the Bwllch (pronounced like you are just seeing your lunch for the second time after your exertions), with such glorious views back down the way we had come:
DSCF4145.JPG

As soon as you get to the very top, you get the most breathtaking view of the road descending into the Rhondda Valley at Treorchy. It was while driving along this road earlier this year with Mrs Donger that I decided I just had to ride it. The descent was every bit as good as it looks:
DSCF4151.JPG

This very friendly sheep turned up wanting a fuss just before we started our descent into Treorchy:
DSCF4155.JPG

In football parlance, this was a "game of two halves". After fine, sometimes sunny weather on the first climb, came the wet part of the ride. After a coffee and bacon butty stop at the Cardiff Arms Park cafe in Treherbert, we set off on the second big climb up the Rhigos (pronounced Rickoss, I am reliably informed). Half way up, it started to rain, and it never actually stopped. In this shot you can see what it is supposed to look like from the top:
DSCF4156.JPG

Then came another great descent. I imagine @Banjo enjoyed it even more than me, as he has disc brakes ... I could be forgiven for thinking I had no brakes at all in the wet conditions. As you can see, it was steep:
DSCF4157.JPG

We commemorated the occasion with this very wet looking selfie:
DSCF4158.JPG

With place names like Glyncorrwg, Ynyswen and Cwmgwrach , it seems they are going through the Great Vowel Shortage of 2016 in these parts. I helped to redress the balance a little with a few "Weeeee!"s and "WooooHoooo!"s on my way down the two descents. Balance is restored.
@Banjo was the perfect guide and host for this ride, and a real gent too. Despite the rain in the second half of the ride, I had the time of my life. This may have been the first whole ride we have done together, but it definitely won't be the last. Thanks Banjo. Actually, it got me wondering why there are not more of these joint rides going on. I'm certainly up for guiding any of you around the very best places in my part of Gloucestershire, and in joining in more "exchange" rides like this. This had to be one of my best rides of the year, and I have two mountains to tick off the list in the "100 greatest climbs" book. A cracking day out.
Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom