Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz71

Über Member
Not my ride today, but my week.I set myself a target of 80 miles at the start of the week(my commute to work and back is only 2.5 miles each way)and i ended up doing just over 100 miles.I am a big lump that rides a hybrid so im quite pleased with myself.Just arranged to meet my mate tomorrow morning to do a 20ish mile ride aswell.Going to target another 100 miles next week.

Just did a short turbo session in the rain

gaz71

Über Member
Ive just got back from a 20 mile ride. riding in windy conditions isnt something i"d usually do but i thought im not going to lose weight and get fitter by sitting indoors.About half way round it chucked it down and i done 10 miles in heavy rain and got the wettest ive ever got.I looked like i"d got out of a river by the time i got home,but i still wouldnt have swapped it for sitting in a car.

Last edited:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Just back from a weeks family holiday in Northern France ( managed to smuggle road bike across on roof bars ;-).

Stayed in a village near to Montriuel.
Got out for 4 rides during the week, some lovely quiet & smooth roads.

Visited the seaside town of Le Touquet on my longest ride - an upmarket place with some fabulous dwellings on the approach roads in.

Another morning I followed the 'La Cartreuse' cycle route - a very nice circular route flat as a pancake except one climb called Cote Remortier 1km long at 7% average !!!

Here's a selection of pics ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

13 rider

Guru
For once the BBC weather app proved correct . Break in the rain between 11 and 1 but getting windier . So out a 11 with a 50 km target .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington up Humble lane climb and at the top I could really feel the wind so a change of plan to hopefully avoid the worst of the wind . Back into Sileby and out to Seagrave and Walton on the Wolds and heading back to Barrow into a headwind.Quorn and turned for home Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Swithland ,Cropston and Home had to ride past home for half a mile before turning back to get the distance in . 32.1 miles in the bag . As I pushed the bike into the shed it starts to rain what good timing . As I was out being battered by the wind my thoughts were with @NorthernDave who's doing a 80 miler sportive today in Yorkshire

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'd planned to do a longer ride today, and last night mapped a 62 mile ride, essentially a few of my usual loops linked together with the odd new bit thrown in. Nice to see the Met Office forecast rain at 8, so I made sure I was out at 7:40 just so I could catch it:laugh: Definitely a bit chilly this morning, so put on my newly arrived arm warmers, which as it turns out, stayed on the whole ride. I managed as far as Weybridge, circa 6 miles, before the first shower. Light enough not to bother with putting a coat on, and by Walton it had passed.
New territory for me up into Esher, passing around the back of Sandown Park racecourse where the next shower arrived, still light enough to continue. Onwards and over the Thames at Hampton Court before a minor diversion off the planned route, heading to Kingston Bridge then round the edge of Bushy Park, entering from the Teddington side. Once I started back towards Lower Sunbury the rain came again, and was soon apparent this was no shower. It absolutely belted down, and combined with the gusty wind made things a bit more challenging:rain::rain:Coat on, and I pushed on into the wind through to Laleham and Staines, where the rain stopped. 31 miles done at this stage, the point at which I normally get back home. Not today, I ate one of my bits of Soreen and continued to Wraysbury, Datchet & Eton, crossing the Thames into Windsor. Next was a horrible slog along Sheet Road, normally OK, but uphill into the wind today I was lucky to manage 10 mph. Mind you, no other cyclist overtook me so we must have all been finding it hard work I guess....
Ascot racecourse was next, then my usual Sunninghill, Windlesham, Lightwater route home.

65.9 miles completed, and my first ever metric century:hyper::hyper: Brings total for this week 209 miles, and allows me a nice rest day tomorrow in my 777 mile target for the month challenge.

Today I discovered a few things. It is possible to ride 100km and walk the dogs afterwards. Any more than the miles I did today, a coffee stop would be welcome.
And my nice Gore Windstopper jacket, whilst windproof, is about as waterproof as a teabag. Recommendations for a lightweight packable jacket welcomed:okay:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
I'd planned to do a longer ride today, and last night mapped a 62 mile ride, essentially a few of my usual loops linked together with the odd new bit thrown in. Nice to see the Met Office forecast rain at 8, so I made sure I was out at 7:40 just so I could catch it:laugh: Definitely a bit chilly this morning, so put on my newly arrived arm warmers, which as it turns out, stayed on the whole ride. I managed as far as Weybridge, circa 6 miles, before the first shower. Light enough not to bother with putting a coat on, and by Walton it had passed.
New territory for me up into Esher, passing around the back of Sandown Park racecourse where the next shower arrived, still light enough to continue. Onwards and over the Thames at Hampton Court before a minor diversion off the planned route, heading to Kingston Bridge then round the edge of Bushy Park, entering from the Teddington side. Once I started back towards Lower Sunbury the rain came again, and was soon apparent this was no shower. It absolutely belted down, and combined with the gusty wind made things a bit more challenging:rain::rain:Coat on, and I pushed on into the wind through to Laleham and Staines, where the rain stopped. 31 miles done at this stage, the point at which I normally get back home. Not today, I ate one of my bits of Soreen and continued to Wraysbury, Datchet & Eton, crossing the Thames into Windsor. Next was a horrible slog along Sheet Road, normally OK, but uphill into the wind today I was lucky to manage 10 mph. Mind you, no other cyclist overtook me so we must have all been finding it hard work I guess....
Ascot racecourse was next, then my usual Sunninghill, Windlesham, Lightwater route home.

65.9 miles completed, and my first ever metric century:hyper::hyper: Brings total for this week 209 miles, and allows me a nice rest day tomorrow in my 777 mile target for the month challenge.

Today I discovered a few things. It is possible to ride 100km and walk the dogs afterwards. Any more than the miles I did today, a coffee stop would be welcome.
And my nice Gore Windstopper jacket, whilst windproof, is about as waterproof as a teabag. Recommendations for a lightweight packable jacket welcomed:okay:
:bravo:well done on the 100 km and :notworthy: for doing it in today's conditions

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg

Lovely day today, so after yet another call to our energy provider :banghead:went out on the bike to clear my "sair heid"
Not far from home, rattle, clunk and one of my rear bullet lights on the road, retrieved and OK but wee bracket lost.
Never mind, carry on :bicycle:
Close pass by a silly wee lassie in a black car with very distinctive reg :angry:.
Close pass two was on a downhill gravel path, Guy on a mtb flew past me, never spoke, maybe he was showing off :laugh:
Lots of hills today, getting easier:thumbsup: Stopped fora rest near the gun club, sounds busy today.
image.jpeg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A day or so ago now, but I'm usually late posting rides...

With the weather being beautifully warm and sunny,(unlike today!) I set off on the CX for a spin around the west of the town. After using the riverside and canal cycleways, I decided to do a few miles along Banbury Lane. It's not a bad road to ride, with good sight lines for the traffic that uses it. After 10 or so miles on it I thought I'd better turn south then east in the general direction of home.
The villages and hamlets around this undulating route are lovely being, mainly, local stone and quaint.

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0210.JPG

A nice little Green to stop for a 5 minute rest on a quiet lane before heading across the A5 by Towcester Racecourse. The road I wanted to use had closed signs across it but I thought I'd chance is to the first village and see if there was access to push via pavements or a bridleway.

DSC_0215.JPG

Luckily, the road was closed right outside a pub, so I had a swift pint and some crisps before walking the 10 yards of the closure. Once in Blisworth, I decided to use the more shaded canal banks in the general direction of home as the sun was really strong.

DSC_0218.JPG

DSC_0224.JPG

I love this old canal architecture and woodwork.

Banbury Lane.png

Back on 64 hot and sweaty miles and well ready for another pint!

https://www.strava.com/activities/679319902

:smile:

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
To end our week off we've called into stay with my brother and his wife in Keyworth. As the forecast was dire we decided on a walk this morning round Woolaton park, bat mans house and deer. By 1.30 there hadn't been much sign of the rain so we decided on a tandem ride through the sticks
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We went to places such as Kinoulton and Cropwell Bishop, blown by a blustery warm wind.
Into West Bridgford to see my nephew and his lady, tea and cake and then home.

27 blustery miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/682783817

Last edited:

Dan's Owd Man

Hello All from Derbyshire.

This is my first post on this thread but no pictures taken.

I set off NE to Hucknall to pick up some aerosol paint cans that I have had matched to the frame of my N+1 1955 Dawes Debonair (Flamboyant blue).^_^

Strong tail wind out mostly uphill, good avg.speed for me 15.1m.p.h.^_^

Then the return on the same route, mostly downhill horrible head wind, pedaling downhill!!!!:cursing: Avg. speed 12.9.

When I arrived at Long Eaton I did my shopping, so not content with a strong head wind I now added 15Kg of ballast for good measure, the last 4.5miles is flat but bang on into the wind.
Big bonus I mist any rain.
Hope to post more rides with some pictures.

https://www.strava.com/activities/682627887

I couldn't believe how strong the wind was today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/682620514/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1471701773

The weather people said if I stayed away from exposed coasts, I'd be okay.:laugh:

image.jpeg

Okay.

Then they said "stay off of the high exposed ridges and you'll be fine".

image.jpeg

Okay then:laugh:.

I was blasted into the cafe at Stokes Bay, by a 70 mph gust of wind:eek:, so I stopped for a bit.

image.jpeg

Coffee and cake:hungry:

Then I set off to knit a load of social ride routes, into one gigantic cycling jumper.

81 very very windy miles completed.

:bicycle::eek:.

Top Bottom