Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My third FNRttC.

The fragrant MrsP drove me to Chiswick, and from there I cycled the 10 miles or so to Potters Field via Sloane Street, Victoria Station, where I bought a pasty, then by Horse Guards to Parliament Square and along the south bank to potters field, getting a bit confused along the way in places cos I don't know London very well. It's a bit of a challenge cycling around London at 10pm in the dark.

I was the first to arrive at PF but very soon after folks turned up, preparations were made and we set off through the urban sprawl of South East London and North West Kent. About 45 of us red lights ablaze, some new to the ride but mostly old hands.

It was a cool bright night with nearly a full moon and a bit of a breeze that seemed to me pushing us along mostly, I did a bit of way marking from time to time, racing on shed once the tail end Charlie's gave us the all clear. At Strood we all had a break with great rolls and cakes and nice hot tea and good company. Then onwards through the Medway towns, suburbs and villages and after a couple of puncture stops eventually to a bright sunny Water Front Cafe stop by the sea, where I had some fun with my new besties Matthew, VR , Kim and Matilda whilst eating our fry ups.

People started to make tracks for home, I cycled another 5/6 miles or so along the Crab & Winkle way to Blean to my dads house for a shower and waited for the Fragrant MrsP to collect me in the car. After lunch the drive home, I slept all the way.

A brilliant night out with a thoroughly decent, charming and entertaining bunch of lads and lasses.

Thanks to all those who make this social ride work.

image.jpeg

Big Ben
image.jpeg

The Shard by London Bridge Station
image.jpeg

The Group outside the pub at Potters Field
image.jpeg

Off we go.
image.jpeg

Waiting, theta quite a bit of waiting.

image.jpeg

Faversham

image.jpeg

About 80 miles for me, not sure I kept forgetting to turn on the Garmin

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I found a thing today that's as rare as rocking horse poop. You guessed it- a tailwind. All day as well. Headed to my parents house near Wells in north Norfolk.

First off, through Wicken Fen then on to Ely along the riverside path.

image.jpeg

There is a cathedral there somewhere. Despite the dark skies, I somehow dodged all the showers. Riding the B road from Ely to Littleport next to the river, on my heavily loaded hybrid was great fun. The tailwind meant I could effortlessly cruise along at 20-25 mph. Supersonic for me. Reached the Norfolk border in less than 1.5 hours.

image.jpeg

Back in the Fair County, at Denver Sluice. The little lane from Littleport to Denver is a cyclist's dream, quiet, flat and today blessed with a tailwind.

image.jpeg

An attractive looking church At Wereham. Out of the Fens here and into the gently rolling Norfolk countryside then on past Barton Bendish, Marham and Narborough.

image.jpeg

Narford Hall. That would do me. Onwards through West Acre, up the steep hill (well, 300 foot!) to Great Massingham.

image.jpeg

The road leading to Houghton Hall. Not a streetlight in sight- my kind of place.

Flew along the final 8 miles from there- 67 miles in total, in a tad over 4 hours moving time. It's a trip I've made many times, but this was by far the quickest. I've just got to stay here now until the wind drops!

Last edited:
U

User19783

Well what a day, sun rain and wind,

Couldn't wait to get out on the bike, but my OH only gave me a two window,

So I think I made the best of it,
Screenshot_20160820-185043.png
Only 27 miles, but what fun,
I did a out and back ride,
The out leg took me an 65 minutes, with headwinds, I turnaround, now the wind behind me, and I was flying, only took 36 minutes to get home,
Got home to a surprise OH.

Do you remember @runner
I brought a giant defy from him couple of years ago, not used it much,
But I really enjoyed today, so it's still a keeper.:okay:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.2 miles today, usual timed lap, this time with a bit of wind added, between rain showers that have been going on today, along with the cooler weather(yay)
Crops look farmtastic, and the traffic was light. Only four other cyclists out there. Local utility construction is getting clods of dirt on the road, soon to be joined with the clods of dirt from the harvest. Just something to look out for.
78F, 26C
Winds W17,G23
Relative humidity 69%
Barometer 29.71
Mostly cloudy, rain in vicinity

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No pictures I'm afraid but I went out early this morning and did 50 hilly miles, encountering some foul weather along the way, just for the sake of it. Well, not quite just for the sake of it, I wanted to pitch my new bike against some geography and the elements and have to admit that it all worked out rather well. Even on the last, soggy climb of the ride I still felt quite fresh even though I hadn't stopped for longer than it takes to send a text and have a quick swig from my bottle.

Starting from home I climbed over Mottram Cutting, then The Snake Pass, through Hope and Castleton before an ascent of Winnats Pass (quick text/drink stop at the top) then Peep-o-Day and Chunal back to Glossop before returning over Col du Mottram. It was a real feast of fun for someone that likes climbing as much as me and the total ride time of 3hrs 15min works out at 15.2mph which I think is probably pretty good considering the weather and amount of climbing (4550ft).
My new GT Grade performed well and I am almost happy with the set-up now, just a few small niggles to sort before I can class it as perfect :okay:

Old jon

Guru
This morning, I thought about which bit of the ride to video before I had even thought about which bits of road to pedal. The workman’s entrance gates at Roundhay Park were the first candidates, thinking on from there made me think to ride one of my usual routes but clockwise instead of anti clockwise.

Thirty one point nine miles later, I can happily say it was a good idea. Just as I was leaving home, the rain started, and it was blowing a bit, but by the time I reached Jack Lane the rain had stopped. Escape from Holbeck along Great Wilson Street and take a left turn to cross the river on Crown Point Bridge. Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road lead to the clock at Oakwood, and once through the lights there I turned the camera on, to turn it off again at the bottom of Boot Hill. Nobody would want a video of my slow struggle up that bit. At the top of the hill, turn right onto Red Hall Lane, straight on at Skelton’s Lane but for a change, turn right when Thorner Lane is reached. This leads to the A 64, left turn quickly followed by a right turn to go to Scholes. Camera turned on again, and I am sure a fox crossed the road, left to right, in front of me before I reached the bridge, but I cannot see it on the video. Oh well.

Scholes is an easier ride in this direction, then it’s a bit uphill to the top of Barwick and seemingly downhill all the way to Aberford except that grunt and groan of a rise after the bridge over Cock Beck. A zig and a zag, under the A 1M to Lotherton Gates and turn right to go under that trunk road again . . .

Turn left to ride through Micklefield and along to the A 63 with the descent of Garforth Cliff to look forward to. Through the town, first exit from the roundabout and up the steep bit to Swillington, travel straight through, cross the river and canal in Woodlesford, and today stop for a sandwich break on the first available seat on the towpath. Back to the road, up the hill past the station all the way to the A 639 and turn right for home. Tired was I, but good tired.

Maps were never my favourite things at school, but that was a very long time ago.

21082016.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I just haven't managed to find my mojo this year. Every ride seems to be the first ride in ages. So it was today, the first in weeks.

With my usual route probably not possible thanks to the V Festival, I headed out on the Bridgnorth road. I don't do this route much anymore thanks to the traffic. Sure enough two very close passes from a BMW and a taxi, (who would have thought it?)

It is only fair that I mention the textbook passes from the two Range Rovers, they must be cyclists too. I wasn't sure if I was struggling due to awful levels of fitness or because of the very strong wind that seems to have followed us back from holiday across the Irish Sea.

It must have been the wind as the second have of my 25 miles seemed a lot quicker allowing me beat the smug git on the Garmin.

D

Deleted member 1258

62 miles Norton, The Heart Of The Shires shopping village the destination. My first visit since 2011. A better day the last couple but still largely grey and windy with the odd light shower around, since I've got back the suns come out. A longer lumpier route than usual, I turned onto the A45 at Willoughby then turned off and up through Braunston then onto Welton and stayed on that road to Norton then across to The Shires. On the way back I rode through Welton and on to Barby, then across to Dunchurch, I used Cawston Lane to ride across to the road that comes out on the A45 by the bridge, I rode past the bridge to turn right into Lawford heath Lane, then picked up Coalpit Lane to take me into Wolston and on into Coventry and home.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/10632075

Norton Sunday Ride.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs M

Guru
Hello All from Derbyshire.

This is my first post on this thread but no pictures taken.

I set off NE to Hucknall to pick up some aerosol paint cans that I have had matched to the frame of my N+1 1955 Dawes Debonair (Flamboyant blue).^_^

Strong tail wind out mostly uphill, good avg.speed for me 15.1m.p.h.^_^

Then the return on the same route, mostly downhill horrible head wind, pedaling downhill!!!!:cursing: Avg. speed 12.9.

When I arrived at Long Eaton I did my shopping, so not content with a strong head wind I now added 15Kg of ballast for good measure, the last 4.5miles is flat but bang on into the wind.
Big bonus I mist any rain.
Hope to post more rides with some pictures.

https://www.strava.com/activities/682627887
:welcome:
I used to live in Long Eaton, until I was 3 :whistle:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a short 8 miler here today in north Norfolk after watching the 'Old Farm' derby.
Sunny and warm and a lot less windy here than yesterday.

image.jpeg

Beacon Hill above Burnham Market. There's a windmill there somewhere.

image.jpeg

North Creake nestled in the river Burn valley. Managed to hit 34mph in a 30 zone on the way down. I'm such a rebel.

Back home tomorrow after an all too brief stay in Norfolk.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Alright! Who turned the wind turbines on? Is was damn windy out there today. Not howling gale winds but strong enough to make a nice, simple ride a thorough thigh burning exercise in bike work. A tough old day. At least it didn't rain and the temperatures, even at 6am in the morning were very mild.
I was going to make it a quick 100 miler down to Ashford and back. But instead of the usual there and back route I usually do, I thought I would throw in a few diversions. A case of, OK let's go this way for a change to see where it ends up. No plan or map, just point the bike and follow the front wheel.

The wind wasn't too bad on the way down, but I knew that for the return it was going to be a different matter. And so it proved. I kept the cadence up in lower gears, got my head down, trying not to battle the headwinds. I was losing average speed quite rapidly but I wasn't going to bust a gut, especially as I have a full week's commute coming up.

The normal Ashford and back route is 100 miles on the dot. I was chasing Eddington numbers so decided to add a few miles and to get out of the wind by adding in a couple of hills. Long hill climbs in preference to headwinds... not sure how I worked that one out in my brain.

It didn't take long once I had climbed the North Down's to get back home again. The wind still hindering my progress. I got home with 112 miles on the clock. Only a couple of extra Eddingtons, but Eddington's never the less. Not bad considering the conditions out there.

Anyway. The Score on the doors.
Century #24 for the year, # 190 over all
Map and stats
210816.jpg

Ome Groan?
OmeGroan.jpg

The Hubert Fountain, Victoria Park, Ashford.
Hubert.jpg

So, ok, who's great idea was this?
Cottmans.jpg

Oh well... what goes up..... must come down.... Into one of Kent's finest cycling roads. Knatt's Valley
Knatts 1.jpg

Knatts 2.jpg

..... I would say it was a lovely day for a cycle ride... well it was.. and it wasn't.... good to get out on the bike and put the miles in, and on the other hand, the wind can do one.

Last edited:
I was main ride leader on a Skyride Local in Pompey today. For reasons that are a bit lost on me, the trackers had a fit and its in pieces.

https://www.strava.com/activities/683925937/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1471793368

That's a close approximation, just think doubled, plus a bit and you're there:rolleyes:.

I got an unexpected surprise, when a reporter from the Portsmouth News turned up, and gave me an interview, and took some pictures and such forth:becool:.

Not a long one, or a fast one, but everybody on my list turned up (23) and about 5 added on spec.

It's just a pity that the weather people don't seem to know there arse from their elbows, and "it's going to be much calmer out there today" actually translates as "hold on to your hats, it's going to be even windier out there today":eek:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Alright! Who turned the wind turbines on? Is was damn windy out there today. Not howling gale winds but strong enough to make a nice, simple ride a thorough thigh burning exercise in bike work. A tough old day. At least it didn't rain and the temperatures, even at 6am in the morning were very mild.
I was going to make it a quick 100 miler down to Ashford and back. But instead of the usual there and back route I usually do, I thought I would throw in a few diversions. A case of, OK let's go this way for a change to see where it ends up. No plan or map, just point the bike and follow the front wheel.

The wind wasn't too bad on the way down, but I knew that for the return it was going to be a different matter. And so it proved. I kept the cadence up in lower gears, got my head down, trying not to battle the headwinds. I was losing average speed quite rapidly but I wasn't going to bust a gut, especially as I have a full week's commute coming up.

The normal Ashford and back route is 100 miles on the dot. I was chasing Eddington numbers so decided to add a few miles and to get out of the wind by adding in a couple of hills. Long hill climbs in preference to headwinds... not sure how I worked that one out in my brain.

It didn't take long once I had climbed the North Down's to get back home again. The wind still hindering my progress. I got home with 112 miles on the clock. Only a couple of extra Eddingtons, but Eddington's never the less. Not bad considering the conditions out there.

Anyway. The Score on the doors.
Century #24 for the year, # 180 over all
Map and stats
View attachment 140698

Ome Groan?
View attachment 140700

The Hubert Fountain, Victoria Park, Ashford.
View attachment 140701

So, ok, who's great idea was this?
View attachment 140702

Oh well... what goes up..... must come down.... Into one of Kent's finest cycling roads. Knatt's Valley
View attachment 140707

View attachment 140703

..... I would say it was a lovely day for a cycle ride... well it was.. and it wasn't.... good to get out on the bike and put the miles in, and on the other hand, the wind can do one.
Fair play for the distance in todays wind, I only managed 3 miles to the high street and back (it is my rest day though..).

Out of interest, which saddle is that you have fitted? Looks like an SMP?

Top Bottom