Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnneW

Über Member
We were going out for lunch yesterday, and decided to ride there. Seeing the traffic on the A6, it turns out it was a wise move - bumper to bumper from Hazel Grove all the way to Disley. Thankfully we turned off at Windlehurst and headed to our destination at Hawk Green.

For all they were crawling for miles the motorists were polite and moved to make space for us to pass.

A total of 26 miles and a top speed of 28mph - downhill not my pedalling - which was quite exhilarating.

I will get a ride in soon where I can take photos :smile:

Couple of rides again;

Yesterday was an early loop mostly North of the city with the better half;glorious morning and nice quiet roads made for a blissful ride.

Actually got a photo too:ohmy:;taken from Coveney looking over to Ely;

IMG_20160829_085505703_HDR.jpg

Oh and 8,000kms up for the year:smile::bicycle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/692937852

Back to work today and another bright although chilly morning;still relatively quiet on the roads in to that Cambridge and a nice steady ride with the bike loaded up with work clothes in the Alpkit tail pack.

https://www.strava.com/activities/693974887

Old jon

Guru
I'm sure none of us remember the Toll-House at Peckfield Bar, it was probably gone by 1900?

Yup. I ain't quite that old. I do remember a toll bridge at Aldwark, with a tiny wooden shed for the toll taker's shelter. One toll road I recall was Wormald Green way, I think, and I have vague memories of a couple of other toll bridges. I will have to sit in front of a map for a while. It is a number of years since I have been there but the Bar House at Liversedge was a rather impressive building, probably too impressive to survive these days.

Yup. I ain't quite that old. I do remember a toll bridge at Aldwark, with a tiny wooden shed for the toll taker's shelter. One toll road I recall was Wormald Green way, I think, and I have vague memories of a couple of other toll bridges. I will have to sit in front of a map for a while. It is a number of years since I have been there but the Bar House at Liversedge was a rather impressive building, probably too impressive to survive these days.
Liversedge Toll-House is or was still standing about 15 years or so ago, when my brother-in-law was living with a girl in the area

Here it is, if you mean the one on the Leeds-Huddersfield road (A62)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/907333

D

Deleted member 1258

50 mile the Journey The Truckstop at Lilbourne the destination, now called the Eddie Stobart Rugby Truckstop. Over breakfast I was thinking where can I go today and couldn't make my mind up, just before I went out I was catching up on posts on Cycle Chat when someone mentioned the truckstop on the A5 and I thought "I haven't been there for ages" and started working out a route. I went out of Coventry through Wood End, and on through Shilton, Withybrook, Monks Kirby, Pailton and onto Sharwell, through Swinford, past Stanford Hall and through Clay Cotton before turning right through Lilbourne, then a hundred yards of the A5 before turning into the Truckstop. A short sprint up the A5 then left for Clifton Upon Dunsmore , right in the village then left and up onto the A426, the layouts changed now so instead of riding across the A426 its left on one roundabout then right on the next to take me to Newbold On Avon, left after the village down Little Lawford lane then right to pick up the lane by the canal to Brinklow then past Coombe Abby and into Coventry up Clifford Bridge Road. A bit fresh first thing but it developed nicely into a bright warm sunny morning and an enjoyable morning out on my bike.

Tuesday Lilbourne.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Our ride today was I bit of a pootle. After a four mile run into Utrecht for breakfast we returned to the hotel, for a SS&S packed the stuff into the car, left it in the car park and headed out on the bikes to Lage Vuursche which is in a country park area, we had read that it had about four pancake restaurants and three crazy golf courses there.

A ride out to the city again, north to Maarenbroek, where we got a bit confused, but a kindly roady ( a rare sight in Holland) stopped and gave us directions. Headed off toward Maartensdijk, along a very straight cycle path that is a dyke. At Maartensdijk we turned right into a beautiful woodland and arrived Lage Vuursche where sure enough there were three pancake restaurants and three crazy golf courses. Pancakes were consumed and golf was played for research purposes only. We came a more direct route back because we needed to collect the car and head off to the next hotel, but we did ride through some stunning countryside and saw some lovely houses, stopped on the way back at Bilthoven for a drink and a bar of chocolate from ALDI, it was like Choco Leibniz but on steroids! Lovely.

image.jpeg

The ride out of Utrecht.

image.jpeg

Across one of the many canals

image.jpeg

It's all a bit Dutch

image.jpeg

Maartensdijk

image.jpeg

Bacon, Cheese and Pineapple pancake, it was ACE!

image.jpeg

The start of 18 holes of crazy golf. I won.

image.jpeg

Outside ALDI.

image.jpeg

28.5 mile today, lovely weather too

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Very warm evening ride...poxy light failed again..New battery time..the other kept going but dark woods with one light is dodgy..

Screenshot_2016-08-30-21-15-16.png

Nice morning again although a bit chillier than yesterday.

Single speed day and what was supposed to be a steady one ended up being a mini 'bash it' with a 32kph average:ohmy::bicycle:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/695210304

No hassles at all today and also got to try out the flouro Planet X 365 3/4 bibs;pretty good really,a bit loose around the calfs but otherwise ok and the pad seems good as well.Might get another pair although the price has crept up a couple of quid;

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXP3BK/planet-x-pro-line-365x-3-4-length-bib-knickers

Old jon

Guru
Not quite so bright this morning and a bit of breeze for a change. Not much change in the route I intended to ride, similar roads in a slightly different order.

Traipse through Holbeck and over Crown Point Bridge and take advantage of a fresh tailwind all the way to the Oakwood Clock. The breeze also helped up Wetherby Road and across the Ring Road, then things levelled off a bit. Turn left for Shadwell and left again for Slaid Hill, then turn right for the mostly downhill whizz along Wike Ridge. Exhilarating riding then is paid for, the ride through East Keswick was quite a grind this morning. The good old A 659 gets everywhere on my rides, here it is again to take me to Collingham, where I took the A 58 to the Wetherby Roundabout, intending to take Boston Old Road from there to Boston Spa.

Memory let me down, or too many passing years, I could not find a way through. I will confess to not trying very hard, once the tarmac vanishes so does my interest. So, almost back to the roundabout and take the road all the way along to Wattle Syke roundabout, then West Woods Road to nearly Bramham, turn right for Thorner and marvel at the amount of mud on the road. Then I realised, all the vehicles I had seen leaving Bramham Park last Monday were liberally splattered with the stuff. An added bit of interest, on the descent of Church Hill, was the slick of oil or petrol along the road. I did not test how slippery it might have been . . .

Three lanes from the opposite direction to the ride on Monday took me back to the A 58 which was clear today, then home via Roundhay’s back gates, the clock at Oakwood and across the Aire again at Crown Point Bridge. Thirty four point three miles for the morning, legs feeling it a bit, grin still in place.

And, of course, a map with the detour

31082016.jpg

I'm off to work tomorrow, so there'll be no riding for me until the 16th (apart from the gym at the hotel !)

So I made the most of it and went out for a ride today, cracking weather, although it felt like I was riding into a headwind for whole way round !! ?? !!

Even so, I still managed to knock nearly 3 minutes off the previous time I did this 'loop', so I'm pleased.

https://www.strava.com/activities/695324076

klQcdM5qbjXeuQ8Ouo4bzHSzVLzOT-jvItuYW11WAWA-2048x1152.jpg

Our ride today was I bit of a pootle. After a four mile run into Utrecht for breakfast we returned to the hotel, for a SS&S packed the stuff into the car, left it in the car park and headed out on the bikes to Lage Vuursche which is in a country park area, we had read that it had about four pancake restaurants and three crazy golf courses there.

A ride out to the city again, north to Maarenbroek, where we got a bit confused, but a kindly roady ( a rare sight in Holland) stopped and gave us directions. Headed off toward Maartensdijk, along a very straight cycle path that is a dyke. At Maartensdijk we turned right into a beautiful woodland and arrived Lage Vuursche where sure enough there were three pancake restaurants and three crazy golf courses. Pancakes were consumed and golf was played for research purposes only. We came a more direct route back because we needed to collect the car and head off to the next hotel, but we did ride through some stunning countryside and saw some lovely houses, stopped on the way back at Bilthoven for a drink and a bar of chocolate from ALDI, it was like Choco Leibniz but on steroids! Lovely.

View attachment 141949

The ride out of Utrecht.

View attachment 141950

Across one of the many canals

View attachment 141951

It's all a bit Dutch

View attachment 141952

Maartensdijk

View attachment 141953

Bacon, Cheese and Pineapple pancake, it was ACE!

View attachment 141954

The start of 18 holes of crazy golf. I won.

View attachment 141955

Outside ALDI.

View attachment 141957

28.5 mile today, lovely weather too
Thanks for posting. I have not seen bikes parked up like that for many, many years so it takes me back to those days.

Top Bottom