Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
4 today. Julian H and little me while Margaret M. had invited Phil G. 4 is a super number. The call was Broadway so we took the standard run through the school for Tewkesbury. For variety we looped by Kinsham before rejoining the standard route to Beckford. The A46 was very busy but we got across safely eventually. Dumbleton and Wormington soon were behind us as we settled in the cafe in Broadway.

Jules took off as we headed away from Broadway. Very unusual, especially as there was a brisk breeze hindering. We closed the gap and hid behind him until he sat up. "That's enough of that" he said. We rode steadily up the tricky ramp from Hinton Cross to gain some shelter from Bredon Hill. As usual when the wind is up we had to take it on for the legs to Great Comberton and then again to Strensham. No worries as this zig zag route does provide some respite. Phil headed off home while at Hill Croome we three decided to visit the church. It was locked but it's a lovely spot and a bench allowed us to sit, chat and watch the world go by. Then it was homeward bound in lovely sunshine. Oh - and I did get my legs loosened up after Sunday's mega ride. A lovely social 64 smiles

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Made a long awaited (for me anyway) trip down to the Surrey Hills. Went into Dedworth and through the outskirts of Windsor past the castle and into Old Windsor and across Runnymead and headed for Staines over the bridge and down to Laleham Shepperton and down over the Thames at Walton Bridge which looked cracking in the sunshine. Followed the A244 down to Esher Under the A3 through Oxshott and into the very busy Leatherhead then towards Reigate and passed the Rykas motorcycle cafe which I visited many years ago in my pre cycling life. Then left up The Zig Zag road with a ton of other cyclists.
image_zps7z5ntobc.jpe

I didn't know what to expect having never been up here before i overtook some stragglers on a group ride but stayed back from the main pack as I was waiting for the road to kick up but it didn't it's probably one of the nicest climbs I've ever been up the views are outstanding. Stopped at the top for the obligatory pics..
image_zpsngclxrfu.jpe

image_zpshdp143qf.jpe

Thought about hanging around for a bit but it was heaving with cyclists dog walkers and camper vans. So set off on the way home around the main route I suppose down some nice descents and had thought about going a different way home but couldn't be arsed to keep checking my phone for the route so just stuck to the same way back apart from taking a wrong turn and going up maybe a mile of fast duel carriageway the A243 that was a bit interesting and had some shocking holes in it. However it did bypass going back through Lestherhead so not all bad. Was treated to a filthy head wind for the majority of the return journey and me old legs were feeling it by the time I git back into Dedworth so stopped for some fuel
image_zps2kvodq60.jpe

Then fianally back home for a shower it seemed very hot and muggy today and hard work but with Ditchling Beacon Swains Lane and now Box Hill all done that was the targets I set myself at the start of the year so happy days.
73.3 miles in 4 hours 14 mins with 1716 ft of climbing with an avg speed of 17.3 mph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/695559524/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1472653146

Cheers
Mark.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After I rode home from work I got in the door and asked the boy if he fancied a ride.
Unknown to me, Mrs Dave had told him to take me out for a ride as she was busy in the kitchen.... Get rid of the small child tactic!

As we left home there were 2 horses and riders in the road 100 yds ahead. We held back as a car came by. The driver spoke with the riders. As we went by one said to another' I'm not surprised she couldn't see us with this low sun'

I had been intending to head out to The Gransdens which is to the west, but I decided not to ride into the low sun.

Our through to Haslingfield , then a turn to Harlton. A stiff old headwind and blinding, flickering sun. Until I was 11 I used to suffer fits, and I still hate flickering lights. It's interesting when you're not looking where you're going!

From Kingston we went up to Caldecote, then down to Hardwick at a steady 23/24mph. At the roundabout a car bearing left decided to carry on. I (and Thomas) had enough room. I went, he stayed. Round I went, came back and he was carrying his bike off the road. In his rush to stop he was in the highest gear, so he decided to get out the way to sort his gears. He's always been risk averse, I knew I was in the bad books!

I let him catch up. We had to make a right turn, a car 30 yds off was turning left. I went, Thomas didn't! When he caught me up I got told off for being an idiot (apparently)

Once home he snitched on me to his mother!

https://www.strava.com/activities/695826221

I've been admonished like a small child by my little boy!

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
This ride was on Monday, but this is my first good internet connection (plus which, who would want to spend all their holiday on CycleChat? No, don't answer that one).
We're in the French Alps, south of Lake Geneva. My ride started at the Cirque de Fer à Cheval above the village of Sixt, here
20160828 Sixt Fer à Cheval web (1).jpg

I rode about 17km down the valley to Samoëns, then turned north to the climb to Col de Joux Plane. It climbs around 990m in 12km, fairly steadily at around 8%, with not too many sections above 10%. It was an overcast day which meant I missed some of the fantastic views back to Mont Blanc, but at least it wasn't too hot.
I realised from the road paintings that the Tour passed this way only a month ago
20160829 Col Joux Plane ride (4)C.jpg

It was a bit of a slog up endless hairpins past Alpine chalets and farms then through forest, but never got too steep and before I knew it I was on the final open stretch to the summit.
20160829 (15)C Col Joux Plane ride.jpg

The descent to Morzine was pure joy, but I tackled all the hairpins at less-than-Tour speeds, and I then had an easy ride on main roads in a mainly downhill direction through les Gets and Taninges back to Samoëns, and a surprisingly tough last few km back to the campsite - less surprising really when I realised that I had to climb 200m in 3km on the last stretch. I rode about 74km in all.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a busy couple of weeks, with only a couple of rides under my belt, (and only a few hours sleep last night,) I treated myself to some 'me' time and popped the CX on the car and drove to Rutland Water for a nice little solo pedal around the circular trail there.
It was quieter there than I expected as the local kids had already gone back to school, so I had a reasonably uncrowded ride.

DSC_0289.jpg

IMG_20160831_180251.jpg

The old church, saved when they flooded the valley to create the reservoir.

There are no major challenges there, apart from finding the cycle/shared user trail in a few places, but I just waited for a minute or so until someone went past and followed them.
It's been a few years since I did this ride, but still recognised some of the parts. At least it wasn't as windy as the first time there! That was horrendous...:eek:

Still, with only a bit of wind blowing across the water, it wasn't any problem. The yachts were making the most of it though!

I was soon back to the the cafe, by the bike shop, for a coffee and a big slice of fruit cake before riding back to the car, parked in the village a short distance from the reservoir.

Rutland.png

A very pleasant 24 miles in excellent weather just like Goldilocks porage.. Not too hot, not too cold, Just right, in fact.

https://www.strava.com/activities/695541137

:smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Still no interesting rides, BUT, I went on an 8 mile ride this morning which meant I hit the 1250km ina month target:hyper::hyper::hyper:

That is all

i hate hills

Its my day to be brilliant
Bit windy up here today . However an unexpected mother in law visit saw me don the cycle togs and head off out into it. A 7 miler with a stop at my bench to have a drink and watch the world go by, before heading off back home to get ready to go to work. I had my bench all to myself today with no drunks coming out the pub to engage me in conversation. Very pleasant. Even ran the gauntlet of High school pupils out doing PE ...well walking with PE teacher at the back. They all moved over for me and no cheeky comments from them.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
12 miles this day, fine weather and a bit of cloud from time to time, as summers' heat abates. Saw a few cyclists, but the grain elevator so often a part of the view of the ride sadly is no more. Construction crews are adding a new water main to the side of the trail. Hornet free trail today. Roads are being scraped near the golf course for repairs.
79F
26 C
Winds N14
Relative humidity 72%
Barometer 30.05
Cloudy

Out yesterday.

First outing for a couple of new goodies
New Helmet - Got a Mavic Aksium Elite (I know it sounds like a wheel!)
New Garmin - Got 820 replaces old 500
THe latter, explains a few stops to fiddle with it.

Went down route to Ripley, then bo the places were mostly familiar but not the route through Send Mayford and to Fox Corner where I turned more northwards
In that area the signs are all to Guildford, Pribright Aldershot etc, so sometimes I end up at Woking, which I try to avoid/
Managed to weave through the roads to Knaphill, and successfully found the road to Chobham and home

A bit windy. I had thought to do some intervals, but a heaviness in the legs from the efforts on Sunday meant I left them out

35.2 miles @ 16.4 mph , 636 feet climbed
https://www.strava.com/activities/695475856

Made a long awaited (for me anyway) trip down to the Surrey Hills. Went into Dedworth and through the outskirts of Windsor past the castle and into Old Windsor and across Runnymead and headed for Staines over the bridge and down to Laleham Shepperton and down over the Thames at Walton Bridge which looked cracking in the sunshine. Followed the A244 down to Esher Under the A3 through Oxshott and into the very busy Leatherhead then towards Reigate and passed the Rykas motorcycle cafe which I visited many years ago in my pre cycling life. Then left up The Zig Zag road with a ton of other cyclists.

I didn't know what to expect having never been up here before i overtook some stragglers on a group ride but stayed back from the main pack as I was waiting for the road to kick up but it didn't it's probably one of the nicest climbs I've ever been up the views are outstanding.

Mark.

Thought the same when I went up it on that Ride Lahnden/Surrey thing,very nice with the closed roads too cutting apexes on the hairpins:smile:.

Todays ride in was a bit lethargic and no zig zag hills.

Did the 20p/Histon run in and kept it steady and mostly zone 2 on the HRM;nice morning again with the sun rising as I went along.

Good test of the new Briko glasses and they seem to work well,didn't notice them darkening until I was going in to the sun and thought "I'm not being dazzled";took them off and saw they had gone a soft tint from clear:becool:so a good buy from Planet X:thumbsup:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/696429746

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Just back. I went down a totally new road for me. Mr WD wanted to go into mach, so I decided to put my bike in the car and while he was doing whatever, i decided to take a look round mach. I took the road to llyn llewedog this morning. It's a rather narrow road that starts off just past mach, and the golf course. Sheep often graze all along the road and its not unusual to find sheep wandering from one side of the road to the other. Then through the village of forge and on towards the dam. Thank god the kids are all back at school on Monday. If it was July, these roads would be heaving with cars as there are a lot of bed and breakfast places along this road. A short ride of 9 miles today, as it was more of a saddle fettlifng ride than anything else. There was quite a headwind on the way back to Mach .
20160901_130105.jpg

20160901_132613.jpg

20160901_130814.jpg

20160901_133308.jpg

Top Bottom