Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gordonrgw

Great ride yesterday with the 11 year-old,
Arbroath->Dundee then Dundee Green Circular - partly terribly signposted and awful tracks round Kingsway past Camperdown Park!

This may sound odd, but cannot recommend highly enough the community toilet facilities at Easthaven - beautifully kept, informative and dog-walker friendly too - they supply balls and throwers!

46 miles, only downside was 11-yo's sore shoulders on the return journey..
and there's the bikes against a wall/bench..

:smile:

IMG_20161021_155514870.jpg
IMG_20161021_155505774.jpg
IMG_20161021_155512232.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Out for a much needed morning ride and first thoughts on leaving the house were by gum it's :cold:! Wished I'd put my winter gloves on really.

Headed through the estate and up the cycle paths to Heathgates, then along Whitchurch Rd and through Sundorne to the old canal path. Out onto the road at Uffington, where the sun was starting to break through the mist and fog, which made for a lovely climb up East Haughmond.

Took the fun downhill mile to Somerwood and Rodington Heath, where a group of club riders came out from the Roden turn and I managed to keep up with them for a short while before they pulled away!

Turned along the boneshaker road to Upton Magna, successful negotiating passing 3 horses and riders, and then out to Berwick wharf. Atcham Straight was busy and had 1 very close pass which annoyed me. Crossed Atcham bridge and then climbed up to Betton, before arriving home with 21.4 miles on the clock.

One other milestone today was my 5000th mile since joining Strava in August 2011

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We didn't bother getting out too early today, but when we did I'd made a little mistake (as opposed to the huge mistake that was to be discovered....). I'd put my Altura jacket on instead of my Castelli Gabba and I was a bit chilly!

Out to the top of Bourn and then through Caxton, the Gransdens and Waresley. We stopped at the garden centre. Jo got off the tandem.... 'where's the pannier?' She said. This is the pannier with spare tubes, patches, glue, multi tool, rain capes etc. We rang Thomas who looked in the garage, it was there. Amateur mistake! Now we were relying on luck.

We consoled ourselves with half a sticky bun each
IMG_1174.JPG

We sat in the warm October sun, relaxing for 10 minutes until repetitive, annoying granny was left in charge of her grandson.
IMG_1172.JPG

We went down to Gamlingay, turning at the church to go to Hatley, it was warm, sunny and sheltered
IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

After a Hatley we rolled down the hill, sadly with brakes on as we were turning left for Arrington just after the steep bit. We then cycled through Wimpole park

IMG_1180.JPG

Up Old Wimpole hill, feeling a whole lot better than I did last week! A hop and a skip up the A1198 and turn for Bourn. Jo said she was hungry so we stopped in a gateway so she could pick some blackberries. I took pictures...
IMG_1184.JPG

Home via Toft, just over 30 miles.

Greenfinch, green woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Long Tailed Tit were the highlights.

https://www.strava.com/activities/752283686

bruce1530

Guru
A gentle trip up the coast and back today. Lovely fresh bright morning. Initially wished I had taken the long-fingered gloves, but was fine once I got moving.

A few miles into the trip, I became aware of a group of club riders coming up behind me, going considerably faster than I was. Once they passed, I stepped up a gear, and kept up with them for about half a mile. Then I thought “I’m not really enjoying this, it’s not what I came out for today”, relaxed a bit and watched them disappear into the distance.

North for 15 miles, mainly along the coast road, with one detour inland to make the trip a wee bit less flat and to keep me off a busy section of the A78. Then stop for a coffee. “Double espresso to take away please”.... and it arrives in a proper cup. “sorry - I’ll get you one in a paper cup”. “Don’t worry about it - that one’s fine”. Took a seat on the table outside, and watch the world pass for 10 mins, then head back home.

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

Old jon

Guru
An interesting ride today, for all sorts of reasons. Not much interest in the first three miles, along the towpath to Viaduct Road, but it is a good way to miss all the traffic lights. Then the climb through Headingley to Lawnswood, and the right turn to ride past Adel church. The next left turn, onto Arthington Lane after crossing Adel dam is quite a distance away and then another leg sapping climb to the top of Black Hill Road, and that is the easy side.

A little too much farmyard on the road this morning, or maybe I was not feeling too quick anyway. Turn left at the bottom, riding along through Pool and then the road to Otley and what should have been my boring A 660 return home. Turn right in Headingley, strangely busy today, and along Kirkstall Lane for the drop to Kirkstall lights. Half way down, a loud bang, steering gone a bit yuck and a wobbly stop using the back brake only. A piece of the front wheel rim had fallen off. I was not very happy.

Another cyclist stopped, told me of the Halfords just past the lights at the bottom of the hill, which I did not know about. I was thinking it’s a long way to Woodrups, and my wallet was screaming. So, Halfords it was and amazed I was. The lad behind the counter was helpful in the extreme, told me to bring the bike in and said he had never seen a rim do that. Sold me a wheel for £30. Thirty measley pounds! Most of my working life I drove a lathe for a living, things moved on massively but even with state of the art machinery, just making the hub for thirty quid would be an achievement. Anyway, full marks to Halfords, swapped tyre, spare tube fitted and on my way I went. Twenty nine point seven miles today, and the Mavic Open Pro rim had done just over 9800 miles. I will be looking for a pair of wheels very soon indeed.

The red mark on the map is, oddly, where the rim went bang and amongst other things, I turned the Garmin off. Outside Halfords I turned it back on again. Better RTFM for the Garmin, so it can keep the two bits of ride together.

22102016.jpg

postman

Legendary Member
15 miles on the turbo.I have had three spells of cold since i nipped over to Halifax for this turbo.What with visiting Edinburgh and Lancashire,i just can't get out.Even if i felt like it.I loved it this morning,just me and The Beatles-The Long and Winding Road.Best cycle bit i have bought in years.It's all set up in the conservatory,all i have to do is hop on.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another battle to drag myself out on the bike this morning.
Eventually out just before half eight, adding arm warmers to the long sleeved compression top, short-sleeved cycling jersey, long sleeved Altura winter jersey, neck buff, helmet liner and winter bib tights that have become necessary over the last couple of weeks. Need to sort some warmer socks out for next time too - and find the merino baselayers.
Has it got colder sooner this year, or have I just got soft over the summer? :cold:

Anyhow, a largely familiar route, but at least if I nod off the bike will know where to go...

Scholes then Barwick and down Long Lane to Garforth. Pause for a drink, then on to Aberford, up the hill to Lotherton Gates and then to Saxton, where I was passed by a friendly peleton of 10-12 riders all pushing on, so I let them get on with it.
From Saxton to Barkston Ash then Church Fenton, then the back lane to Ryther.
Left at the T-junction through Ozendyke and then Ulleskelf, before the long drag along Raw Lane back out to the A162.
Right towards Tadcaster, getting passed by a solo Wetherby Rat just before the hill, turning off at the bottom into Stutton.
Through there and the climb up Moor Lane to Garnett Lane where there was quite a bit of farm mud on the road and the back wheel lost grip a couple of times up the hill, which was "interesting".:headshake:(reported via fixmystreet)
Over the A64 bridge and across the A659, passing a couple on horseback before taking a left onto Toulston Lane for the run to Bramham.
Right at the top of the village to tackle the Windmill (max speed 41.4mph :hyper: ) and on to Clifford, then the climb up Main Street and the descent back into Bramham, before the climb back up towards the A1(M) bridge, stopping just before it for a drink, a stretch, an energy bar and a couple of pics:

IMG_20161022_104558467.jpg
IMG_20161022_104608116_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161022_104851630.jpg

While I was stopped I was passed by a less cheery peleton, not one of whom said hello :eek: and then just as I was getting back in the saddle by a family group - mum, dad and lad on a tandem with a ride along attached and daughter on her own road bike.
Over the A1(M) bridge and the climb up to fork onto Thorner Lane, through the dip and the leg sapping slight but persistent climb almost all the way to Milner Lane and the scenic run along the ridge, before the descent and climb into Thorner village (and past more horses!).
Through the village and the inevitable climb up Van Zyl Hill, where despite it being bloody hard work I managed to set a 2nd PB, which I was quite pleased with at this stage in the ride! :okay:
Along Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road, before local roads down to home.

38.15 miles (61.39 km) in 2h 32m at an average of 15.0mph, with a respectable 1,621 ft climbed - and a chilly average temperature of just 6.6°C :cold:

Another entry in the half century challenge completed!
To be fair, as usual I enjoyed the ride when I got out there and apart from a brief unforecasted shower near the start of the ride it was pretty good cycling weather - grey skies early on but with the sun making an appearance eventually and only a light breeze to contend with. I just need to sort my legs out! :rolleyes:
Lots of cyclists of all shapes and sizes on all sorts of bikes out today too, which is always a good thing.

22102016.JPG

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Another lazy ride this afternoon with the road bike still off the road.
Just ten miles pootling around the verges of town on the hybrid, down to Willian village and back, through Purwell Meadow... cycling in the Dutch style I think you might call it. Low miles, but maximum enjoyment of the environment by avoiding main roads.
20161022_153414.jpg
Into Hitchin on the cobbles feeling like a leisurely classics rider, and on to the Half Moon pub where a mini beer festival was in full swing.
20161022_160440.jpg

So with the Trek shackled to a firkin I had a pint. Or two.
20161022_160432.jpg

Sometimes it's not all about the mileage, it's about the fun.

20161022_172310.jpg

20161022_172510.jpg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Decided to head north west today an area I don't ride very often . Out after lunch Newtown Linford up Markfield Lane out to Thornton reservoir ,Bagworth ,Nailstone , Odstone through Newton Burgoland and out to Snarestone headed back to Twycross turned through Bilstone ,Congerstone ,Carlton and round the back of Market Bosworth headed back out to Cadeby and Kirby Mallory ,Peckleton ,Desford ,Kirby Muxloe ,Ratby ,Groby and Anstey checked the milage 41 done so decided to get the half century in so out to Thurcaston ,Rothley ,Swithland ,Cropston and Anstey Just before the climb before home got passed by 2 rides decided to try and hang on up the hill they soon dropped me :surrender: they flew up the hill .Back home 51.7 miles in the bag at 17 mph according to bike computer strava has me at 16.2 and the tide taking 10 mins more not sure my auto pause is working . Lovely ride in nice conditions if a tad windy in places

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I cycled back to north Norfok on Thursday night for a few days. It was pretty wet so although I normally love my night rides, that one was quite tough.

Another washout yesterday but today some sun and a ride to Wells and back for provisions.

image.jpeg

The 'Triumphal Arch' at Holkham.

image.jpeg

Holkham Hall. As trips to the shops go, this isn't a bad one!

Although this is also a cycle route, there did seem to be a lot of quite aggressive peds about today. I'm always incredibly careful / polite / slow on shared paths but there were a couple of folks giving me the beady eye presumably just for riding a bike. One bloke even stepped out in front of me! Odd. I just ignore them and get on with it.

As I cycled past the enormous car park, I saw it was rammed with Audis, Beamers and Volvos and then it twigged- these are the folks who are normally trying to kill us!

image.jpeg

Luckily the peds only tend to waddle about no more than 50 yards or so from their cages, so it's always pretty easy to get away from it all and find some peace. Wells was lovely as always. A cracking 16 miler in total here today.

Back home tomorrow via Kings Lynn station then train to Ely and ride back via Wicken. I'm looking forward to it already.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Birkin Fisheries plus the BBM chain gang: https://www.strava.com/activities/752227451

A bit of speed on this one, which with a duff hip isn't always sensible. However, decent pace riding out with a good ride back and no issues. We had about 20 riders out for this group ride (one of 4 different rides / paces today).

Some of the riders with my best side closest to the camera:

14700929_10210898222668477_7267226379727631685_o.jpg

Diggs

Veteran
Sorry folk been neglecting this thread for a while. Didn't want to be too repetitive and totally forgot the glorious MTB ride in the week as I got back a bit late...
Anyway today was a ride of two halves but a glorious hurrah for (possibly?) the last run out for the summer bike.
tmp_30015-back of the resi-159254457.jpg

Back of the reservoir

tmp_30015-into the sun group1432540202.jpg

Head towards the light!

tmp_30015-stowmaries-1836694102.jpg

Sun finally breaks through!!

Great ride yesterday with the 11 year-old,
Arbroath->Dundee then Dundee Green Circular - partly terribly signposted and awful tracks round Kingsway past Camperdown Park!

This may sound odd, but cannot recommend highly enough the community toilet facilities at Easthaven - beautifully kept, informative and dog-walker friendly too - they supply balls and throwers!

46 miles, only downside was 11-yo's sore shoulders on the return journey..
and there's the bikes against a wall/bench..

:smile:

View attachment 148729 View attachment 148730 View attachment 148731
46 miles with your 11 year old wow ! Well done to them. Paraphrasing Lilly Allan I would like to award them on behalf of all of us on CC a cyber world Gold Medal

Top Bottom