Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A glorious autumn day today. I had to take my daughter to Abergavenny for the start of a gold DofE trial run, so I was a bit restricted, but there was still time for a decent ride. Here's the route and profile (anticlockwise):

11578177.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/749670032

Because this was a bit shorter and easier than most rides I've done lately, I found myself putting a bit more into it from early on and at the end my average speed was a mile an hour less slow than usual. It's nice to know I can do this, but I think I'll try to stick to the normal 13 mph.

Ending on 104.77 miles, this is my 265th century, always assuming I can count the first 242 which pre-date my use of Garmin/Strava. They did happen, honest. The significance of 265 is that I'm now just 100 away from 365, which will represent a year's worth, a lifetime target I set myself a very long time ago.

I see evidence from Strava that a lot less cycling goes on at this time of the year than in spring, which is understandable. This season is always a priority for me; I find that some of the sweetest days can be found in September and October, and the autumn colours are brilliant so far this year, .

I copped some abuse from a motorcyclist today, which was especially disappointing as I thought he was pulling up alongside to say something nice. I didn't quite catch it, but I think his message had something to do with a cycle track. The hand gestures I did understand.

Let's forget that. This was a lovely ride.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ouch!

Started off for a 40 miler, got to the big Egham roundabout, hit something in the road,, caused a slight wobble/swerve, straight onto a shiny metal manhole cover, and you guessed, front wheel slid away from under. I hit the deck quite hard on elbow and shoulder. various people assisted me off the road.

Shoulder hurting, long sleeve top the sleeve had ridden up and elbow bleeding

limped back home on foot and gingerly a bit by bike too along towpath

Scrapes to elbow and shoulder and minor elsewhere were given TLC by Mrs S.

Bike not fully checked but I think bar tape and shifter scraped.

My nice Castelli long sleeve has a big hole in the arm. Merino base layer probably ok when washed.
Painful moving left arm now. wll be off the bike for a few days

COuld have been worse

There is a ride waiting to be uploaded but it's only 2.5 miles
:hugs:

Nice Twenty Pence/Histon commute this morning with a bit of a tail wind and generally feeling a bit better so a good 30kmh average at mostly zone 3 so getting back to where I should be.
Roads a bit wet after last nights rain but the Schwalbe S-Ones were sure footed and it's nice to hack straight over the speed bumps in to Cottenham^_^;plenty of time in hand this morning as I was up early for a change so went straight down Histon Road and a pootle through the city.

https://www.strava.com/activities/750262725

Stopped the Garmin at the Four Lamps roundabout and rolled through Trinity St and Kings Parade before making my way to the Espresso Cafe for coffee and toast:cuppa::hungry: and then the usual Mill Rd run to work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/750262700/segments/18385889034

Only downer was the pouch I have on the rucksack to keep my keys and work entry fob in has bobbled the fabric on my new Isadore jersey:sad:;still my own fault and if you want things pristine don't wear them,well that's what I'm telling myself:rolleyes::laugh:.

The jersey was perfect though,really nice fit and cosy enough with one layer underneath;actually got the clothing right today with the 3/4 Howies bibs and those stripy socks as seen previously:becool:.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got up at 5:45 when the alarm went off. No work today ^_^

Really didn't want to go out and cycle in the dark so had a brew and started watching Breakfast on BBC, by 9 o'clock I was crawling up the wall so decided to go out for a short ride.

Set off under cloud but it was surprisingly warm and hardly any wind. After about a mile I remembered I'd saved a 64 mile route on the Satmap so decided to load that and do the route. Couple of miles later I was off track as I just ignored the route :ohmy:

After an hour or so I decided to bike up to Lutterworth, go through to Ashby Parva and then turn around and head back home and back onto the 64 mile route. I figured that this would give me an 100 miler and I'd get home around 4 and still in daylight.

It stayed cloudy all the way to the cafe stop which was on 68 miles. Sat outside the cafe in brilliant sunshine and I got the first slice of the fresh cake.

This is the view outside the cafe:

WP_20161020_13_36_03_Pro.jpg

As I headed out the cafe there was a very large and dark rain cloud looming in front of me, by the time I got to Birstall the roads were ridiculously wet but I'd mnaged to avoid the rain, no mudguards on the Allez so I got pretty wet anyway. It finally rained on me with a couple of miles to go.

Had an absolutely cracking ride, stayed warm all the way around despite the rain at the end. 106 miles done in total and I took a couple more pics as well:

This years cygnets in Abbey Park now pretty much adults:

WP_20161020_11_55_50_Pro.jpg

and Autumn is definitely on the way as this shared path between the canal and Cossington demonstrates:

WP_20161020_12_24_32_Pro.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/750605430

13 rider

Guru
Got up at 5:45 when the alarm went off. No work today ^_^

Really didn't want to go out and cycle in the dark so had a brew and started watching Breakfast on BBC, by 9 o'clock I was crawling up the wall so decided to go out for a short ride.

Set off under cloud but it was surprisingly warm and hardly any wind. After about a mile I remembered I'd saved a 64 mile route on the Satmap so decided to load that and do the route. Couple of miles later I was off track as I just ignored the route :ohmy:

After an hour or so I decided to bike up to Lutterworth, go through to Ashby Parva and then turn around and head back home and back onto the 64 mile route. I figured that this would give me an 100 miler and I'd get home around 4 and still in daylight.

It stayed cloudy all the way to the cafe stop which was on 68 miles. Sat outside the cafe in brilliant sunshine and I got the first slice of the fresh cake.

This is the view outside the cafe:

View attachment 148532

As I headed out the cafe there was a very large and dark rain cloud looming in front of me, by the time I got to Birstall the roads were ridiculously wet but I'd mnaged to avoid the rain, no mudguards on the Allez so I got pretty wet anyway. It finally rained on me with a couple of miles to go.

Had an absolutely cracking ride, stayed warm all the way around despite the rain at the end. 106 miles done in total and I took a couple more pics as well:

This years cygnets in Abbey Park now pretty much adults:

View attachment 148534

and Autumn is definitely on the way as this shared path between the canal and Cossington demonstrates:

View attachment 148535

https://www.strava.com/activities/750605430
How you got a loyalty card for nice pies :tongue: . I commuted pass your place of work this morning riding from our depot on ravensbridge drive to Quorn

Alex H

Legendary Member
4°C this morning when I got up, so the ride had to wait until after lunch when it was at least 10°C :rolleyes:. Headed South this time through Rochechouart, picking up the Voie Verte des Hauts de Tardoire at Oradour-sur-Vayres. This ex-railway track runs for 13km between Oradour and Chalus and for the first 7km there was not a soul about. Then I caught up with 2 cyclists totally blocking the path ^_^. I patiently waited until they realised I was there and they politely moved over to let me pass. :okay:

PA200024.jpg

Whilst wending my way through central Chalus, I found this.

PA200025.jpg

Apparently it's the Château de Châlus-Maulmont (the Château de Châlus-Chabrol is on the hill in the background) - I never knew there were 2! ^_^

On the way back all was quiet, but approaching Rochechouart a lot of the oncoming traffic was flashing the traffic overtaking me. Usually this means that the Gendarmerie have a speed trap, however, in this case it turned out to be the Fire Brigade. They had coned off the Northbound lane and had two of their vehicles parked with a couple of cars. As I passed, I could see that the problem was an upturned van in the forest - the driver being strapped to a stretcher at the roadside. The sound of sirens in the distance heralded the approach of a SAMU car (normally containing a doctor).

After that bit of excitement it was back to tranquillity whilst I cycled through the backstreets of Rochechouart, trying to avoid the main road - steep hill and too narrow.

The excitement returned however, after I had crossed the Gorre and was slowly making my way up the last hill to home. I could again hear sirens and these were approaching, but I couldn't figure out from where. I could see three cars approaching downhill and the noise appeared to be coming from them. The first was a Jaguar, the second a 4x4 and the third a Nissan Micra. As the Micra passed me, I could swear it was the one making all the noise, which was now very close indeed. Just then, 2 Gendarmes on motorcycles overtook me at some ridiculous speed with lights flashing and the sirens followed them :laugh:

Route

Screenshot from 2016-10-20 17-21-04.png

66km in 3 hours 807m of climb

colly

Re member eR
[QUOTE 4519756, member: 9609"]Through the hills to the coast

ing_2339_zpsdv7xw2w0.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You sure that's a tanker? Looks like an island with a lighthouse to me.:smile:

Attachments

• ing_2339_zpsdv7xw2w0.jpg
    ing_2339_zpsdv7xw2w0.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 55

13 rider

Guru
Day off work so after taking my mum food shopping oh the joy I deserve a ride . Out with the bike no plan just try and get 50 km in . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Quorn and decide to go up Beacon hill . Slow steady climb up the beacon and the legs feel good so decide to turn ride into a hilly one .Quick descent and left at the crossroads and then right on to priory lane up the first bit quick descent then up the second climb then down Pollybotts lane which is fun then turned up Sharpley hill . The back route to Woodhouse then through the village up church hill and down to Swithland triangle left onto the climb out past Swithland woods down to the crossroads and over onto Warren hill a climb I don't really like . Nice quick drop back down Sharpley hill into Newtown Linford then swung up Markfield Lane to Markfield and out to Botcheston and a nice steady descent back to Ratby .Coming out of Ratby approaching a pinch point a lorry decides to go for the overtake I realise early he's not going to make it so brake and sure enough he's pulls in thankfully Id braked I dread to think what would have happened if I had not braked it was still to close for comfort ( email sent to company) this really put a downer on the ride . Back home via Groby and Newtown Linford . 34.6 miles in the bag at 15.7 mph with 2344ft of climbing was a lovely ride spoilt by an idiot driver

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A nice day weather wise to end the commuting week.

This morning it was cool and slighly misty out giving the countryside a nice look. I took a longer way in to avoid riding directly into the sun on the main road and got a great view from Lyth Hill as my reward for the climb.

We are well into the hedge cutting season now but to my surprise the roads where cutting was going on yesterday have been swept afterwards.^_^ I changed my route slightly when I could see that the hedges down one lane were being cut then had to shade my eyes from someone driving with his main beam on.

Nearing work I encountered a white van driver who was lost and trying to get to Upton Magna via the bridleway I use. I gave him what I thought were good directions only to see him turn the wrong way when he got to the end of the lane. Oh well.:blush:

For the trip home this evening I was tempted by the quick route home but was then put off by the traffic and after a little bit of indecision settled on a longer route which uses a lot of cycle path so is a bit more relaxed. Not much to report here apart from overtaking a teenager on a mountain bike who took it as a challenge and came flying past a few moments later only to run out of steam on the deceptive gradient. He was trailing quite a way behind when I last looked back.:whistle:

23.7 miles for the day at 13.3 average.

DSC0004036.jpg

DSC0004037.jpg

A couple of views from Lyth Hill on the way to work.

DSC0004038.jpg

I had time in hand so took a detour through Attingham Park which looked great with the low lying mist.....

DSC0004039.jpg

....while the hall itself was right on the edge of a fog bank.

DSC0004041.jpg

On the way home; the trees have taken their time this year but are now showing some autumn colours.

tyred

Legendary Member
I went vintage this evening for the first time in ages. I saw an abandoned Humber on my travels at the weekend and it had occurred to me I hadn't ridden my 1938 Humber "light" roadster since last August I retrieved it from under a pile of junk at the back of the shed, added some oil and went out in search of autumn colours.
DSCF3797 (Copy).JPG
DSCF3804 (Copy).JPG

Drumboe Castle (or what's left of it). Major military base until 1946, the army themselves completely destroyed it when it was decommissioned :sad:
DSCF3770 (Copy).JPG

DSCF3789 (Copy).JPG
DSCF3766 (Copy).JPG
DSCF3808 (Copy).JPG

About 35 leisurely miles I think, enjoyed it despite being over-geared for some of the terrain and some rain and being very overcast at time and called at Lidl for some shopping and was out longer than expected so had to call the prehistoric Miller lighting system into action for the last half hour or so. It's actually a pretty decent headlamp. This bike is lovely to ride but could use some gears in my normal terrain. Memo to self - replace disintegrating front brake blocks and de-grease rim before I crash into something.
DSCF3740 (Copy).JPG
DSCF3745 (Copy).JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
First proper ride on the Planet X pro Carbon i got from @Roadrider48 earlier in the week after doing a couple of commutes to work and a ride across to see my parents on it i thought i would give it some fresh air today , so swapped saddles over strapped on some lights etc etc .

Up and out by 5.20 am this morning across country to Thorpe Malsor and then along to Loddington , Lamport ,Scaldwell ,Holcot ,Moulton ,Overstome,Sywell , Mears Ashby and home .A total of 33 miles of which 25 were done under the cover of darkness so hard to relax and let the bike go but it rode well and certainly flies along just need to sort an irritating noise out which is strange as not always there and not convinced where its coming from .

A bit misty in places and too dark for many pictures but took a few , i think the horse approved of my new steed .

WP_20161022_002.jpg

WP_20161022_004.jpg

WP_20161022_005.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom