Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Set the alarm for 7am this morning, with a mind to get out for an hour or two before the rain arrived.
Alarm went off, I rolled over, turned it off and went back to sleep. Well, I did say I'd been feeling tired lately didn't I? :rolleyes:
So by the time I'd dragged myself from the pit it was persistently pouring down.

Anyhow, about lunchtime the rain stopped and the sun came out. Eventually I persuaded myself that I might as well nip out for a local spin as it was a shame to waste the whole day watching catch-up TV.

So out and up Coal Road. It's a wee bit busier mid-afternoon on a Sunday than it is early doors, but everyone was behaving so no problems.
Left onto Red Hall Lane, then right and along the A58 to The Wellington pub where I turned left again onto Whin Moor Lane.
This was definitely busier than I'm used to and I'd like to give a mention to the Range Rover Evoque driver who simply had to get past on one of the narrower bits. :scratch:
Into Shadwell and right, down the hill. The roads were still wet and there were a lot of fallen leaves about, so I didn't set any records down the hill, before the sharp climb back up to the A58, where as soon as there was a gap in the traffic I was across and onto Carr Lane for the lumpy twisty ride into Thorner.
I've mentioned before how picturesque it is along here but I'm usually pushing on so don't stop for any pics. I decided I would stop today, apologies for my rubbish phone camera:
IMG_20161016_150013608_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161016_150021122_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161016_150104640.jpg

Back on and down the hill into Thorner, where it was right along Main Street into an unexpected but noticeable breeze before the inevitable climb up Van Zyl Hill.:sweat:
From there it's Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road, then local roads down to home.

10.6 miles (17.0km) in a steady 41 mins at an average of 14.9 mph, with 465 ft climbed. That'll do me for a day when I nearly didn't go out, especially with that hill out of Thorner to keep me honest. Even better, it put me past 500 miles on the 'new' bike which is a nice little milestone out of the way:okay:

16102016.JPG

Then I washed and lubed the bike, "helped" by the dog who was very interested to see what I was up to... :okay:

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
I’ve been a bit under the weather for the last week - I’m sure it was man-flu :sad: - so a couple of gentle rides this weekend.

Saturday, weather was OK, and I did one of my usual routes but cut short - from the Three Towns, heading up the hill and along the farm road to West Kilbride. Keep following the back roads til I hit the A78 near Hunterston, then turn south and head back home along the A78 - sometimes on the road, sometimes on the adjoining cycle path.

Just 16 miles, and it was slow and tiring. I struggled on the first couple of hills.

Today was breezier, and I did the same route. Felt a lot better, and I felt that I did the initial hills faster. Strava, however, says otherwise.... Must have been the wind. The overall journey was 10 mins faster.

But got stomach cramps just before reaching home!

https://www.relive.cc/view/746713194

Another monster of a ride today.

It's the ride that I reccyd yesterday, with the extra few miles to finish off the ride down in Portsmouth Old town.

IMG_3448.JPG

Like a Summer's day first thing, outside Portsmouth Guildhall.

IMG_3449.JPG

Some storm clouds after the brutal 25 %, route one climb up the front of Portsdown hill.

IMG_3451.JPG

Then one unleashed hell, during the coffee stop ( lovely cake and coffee at Fort Nelson :cuppa:).

IMG_3455.JPG

Then it was back to a summer's day in Portsmouth old town.

IMG_3457.JPG

A friendly pigeon, that wouldn't bugger off.

IMG_3458.JPG

Beer, then home.

Another nice ride, with the Portsmouth Skyriders :thumbsup:. Another metric century to boot, and 68 miles done.

Big Andy

Über Member
Todays ride was the 100km (actually a bit longer) course of the Trent 100 sportive. My first sportive which I very much enjoyed despite the monsoon conditions for most of the ride. The organisation was excellent and the provided food at the stops was excellent. All in all an excellent ride.
We had planned on doing the 100 mile course however my cycling buddy injured his calf playing Badminton on Friday and despite heavy strapping it wouldnt of held up so what with the awful weather we decided to take the shorter course. 20161016_082333.jpg Screenshot_20161016-193600.png

U

User19783

Never mind about the calories,
Your stats are brilliant, 186 Max heart rate, :notworthy:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Ah well, back on the commute this morning. Rather hoping that at the end of the week I'll get a good 'me' ride in. Another cyclist on my route through Staines this morning, at about my pace, so decided to follow along. Now I don't claim to be an angel when cycling, but in amongst the few cars that are around at 0530 in the morning, I like to try and set some form of example. It seems my fellow commuter doesn't, so all red lights were jumped, and roundabouts taken the wrong way which was novel. I think it put him about 30 seconds further in front....
Do wish the weather would make it's mind up. Last week saw 5 degrees and I needed a winter jersey, now we're back to 16 degrees and :sun::sun:

Never mind about the calories,
Your stats are brilliant, 186 Max heart rate, :notworthy:
A year or so back I reached 192, in just making it up a hill.

Katherine

Guru
For the Salford Cycling Club ride from Swinton, I was meant to be offering an alternative longer route back from Quarry Bank Mill, Style, where we went on the A ride yesterday, for those who didn't want to go on the hilly ride up to Blackburn but still wanted a longer ride. But the other leader turned for home after only a few miles, feeling unwell. So at the cafe, I showed the group my new return route without any pressure to go on a longer ride home but everyone was keen to avoid the straight route back. We had left Swinton in the morning in the rain which soon became quite torrential for a while but it had stopped by the time we were going past the airport and we arrived at Quarry Bank under bright blue skies. The return went round Wilmslow, through the airport tunnels and then left through the lanes of Ashley, Rostherne and High Legh, it took a lot longer but was so much prettier and quieter. Then we went over Warbuton Bridge and back along the Cadishead Way, staying on the path for the slower riders, before getting on the Port Salford Greenway to Winton where we split up for home. Unfortuanately one of the riders was on a mountain bike and struggled to keep up from about half way home so we had to take it easy which was fine by me as I had started to feel a it uncomfortable myself, no idea why, and by the time I was nearly home was really suffering with an awful stitch and stomach cramps. My last mile home is all uphill and includes two roundabouts where I have to go all the way round to the last exit. I had to get off and walk with my bike, oh the shame, to cross the road cutting out the second roundabout because I wouldn't have been able to go round it fast enough. 48.8 miles and not up to the extra 1.2 miles for a half century!

Two rides to report,both just commutes.

Took the week-end off cycling wise as was feeling a bit under the weather but back on the commutes yesterday.On the Trek(with new front caliper and rear mini-v's)and loaded with the weeks clothing and food it was a slow painful ride in;no energy so just plodded along,brakes are better though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/747333560

Today on the XLS and a feeling a little better but not a very nice morning with wind and rain;good test though for the Endura adrenaline race cape which passed with flying colours:smile:.

Not much better on the speed side of things but did have some headwind and I seemed to hit every red light this morning,still feeling better so onwards and upwards agin hopefully.

https://www.strava.com/activities/748257990

Attachments

• img_20161006_065931318-jpg.146747.jpg
    img_20161006_065931318-jpg.146747.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 080716-away-shirt.jpg
    080716-away-shirt.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 38
  • img_20161006_065931318-jpg.146747.jpg
    img_20161006_065931318-jpg.146747.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 080716-away-shirt.jpg
    080716-away-shirt.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 45
IMG_4289.JPG
IMG_4282.JPG
IMG_4290.JPG
IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4298.JPG
IMG_4301.JPG
Park up at staveley this morning and set off on the Garburn pass as per Pedalnorths route. It's on their website so I won't regail it here.
It was very wet and after the 10th water splash, me and water were done. A tough route on a hard tail but great fun. I won't be doing it alone again as it's not the best place to have a fall alone. A few pics I took along the way .......13.6 mile, 1800 feet ascent

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Out again, the short ride on Sunday only encouraged my addiction. Mind, I still intended a shorter ride, it just did not turn out that way. Twenty nine miles, starting with the pedal around Holbeck which pointed me nicely towards Crown Point Road, and its bridge over the Aire. Traffic around the soon to be opened John Lewis has become more and more lethargic this last few weeks, patience is the only way to get anywhere.

Once past that, we have Leeds’ very own version of Regent Street. One of the few times I will admit the capital has it better. Along to the end of Roseville Road, and again, London’s version of Bayswater Road really does do it better. Roundhay Road, the Oakwood Clock and Wetherby Road are fine by me, pedalling closer to the Ring Road and out of the city. Over the crest of Boot Hill, turn left at the pub to travel on to Shadwell, left again for Slaid Hill and then right to ride along Wike Ridge.

On to East Keswick, then Collingham and I had already decided to leave the village by climbing Jewitt Lane. Along to East Rigton, turn left for Thorner and Oh Dear! A dreaded deflation. So much for home early. Swapped the tube for a spare and on my way with freezing fingers, which took about three miles to thaw. Out of Thorner, up Sandhills, turn right for Skeltons, followed by Red Hall lanes and the treat of a whizzz down that hill, Oakwood again and through the tail end of town to home. And I beat the weather, plusses all round.

I joined up the dots . . .

18102016.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Day off in lieu today, a bit blowy out there and not too much time so off for a leisurely loop of track and trail riding for the most part, alongside the Nene Valley Railway toward Wansford, over to Castor, Ferry Meadows and home.
Lots of leaves coming off now, but a bright day, a little muddy in places from recent rains, just went where my nose took me.
A few shots from alongside the old railway..
20161018_132118_zpsoeooslyv.jpg

20161018_132516_zps7msefgb5.jpg

20161018_132612_zpsnw137b2u.jpg

20161018_133818_zpsbayy4rrc.jpg

Attachments

• 20161018_132118_zpsoeooslyv.jpg
    20161018_132118_zpsoeooslyv.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20161018_132516_zps7msefgb5.jpg
    20161018_132516_zps7msefgb5.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20161018_132612_zpsnw137b2u.jpg