Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My turn to ask you a question...
What's a magnifier in the context of reading maps and the trip computer whilst cycling?
I can see the trip computer, but if I needed to stop to read my map I'd need my reading glasses. I was quoted £327 for bifocal cycling goggles, so I got a credit card sized plastic magnifying glass for £1.95 instead.
259-jpg.145715.jpg

Works perfectly for the odd occasion where you need to check that you're on the right road, and stows easily in my back pocket. By also getting a new basic 5 function computer for £5, I reckon I've also saved at least £150 by resisting the call of the Garmin, so in the last couple of weeks I've saved the best part of £500 which will one day go towards either a new bike or a cycling trip abroad.

Attachments

• 259-jpg.145715.jpg
    259-jpg.145715.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 259-jpg.145715.jpg
    259-jpg.145715.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 52

gavgav

Guru
It certainly is-I used to work for the SYHA in Melrose and loved the riding in the area, both on and off road. I saw one of my best ever sunsets riding along a back road near Duns in 2007!
Anyway today I rode from Grasmere to Ambleside to drop my bike off at Biketreks for a service....just a little detour via Red Bank, Chapel Stile, the ODG, Blea Tarn, Little Langdale, Colwith, Chesters by the River for a quick Espresso and piece of carrot cake, another wicked little climb to get to the lane that pops you out opposite the Brathay Trust, then into Ambleside via the Under Loughrigg Lane. Quite a pleasant autumn day with a bit of drizzle, the odd positive siting of blue sky, mist and low cloud swirling around the fells and mellow autumn colours. Also some, er, interesting driving on the Blea Tarn road-some numpty was trying to take a coach along it (not a full size one, but definitely not the best idea anyway) and met a Chelsea tractor coming the other way....lots of crunching and splintering sounds which didn't sound good. They eventually managed to get past each other...I wonder how the coach driver managed on those lovely hairpin bends?...:wacko:
A coach up there!! Having ridden it, and having a PCV licence, I know which I'd prefer and it's not the bus!

postman

Legendary Member
img_20161006_065931318-jpg.146747.jpg
Are they the Accrington Stanley away socks.
080716-away-shirt.jpg

Attachments

• img_20161006_065931318-jpg.146747.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 080716-away-shirt.jpg
    080716-away-shirt.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 52
  • img_20161006_065931318-jpg.146747.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 080716-away-shirt.jpg
    080716-away-shirt.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 48

colly

Re member eR
Early ride out which started OK with just a little drizzle and damp roads and not too cold. It stayed that way until out of Leeds and approaching the turn for Eccup Reservoir It started raining, in fact the heavens opened and in the space of maybe 100m I was soaked through to the skin, shoes were full and even my crotch was waterlogged.
So I pressed on, I mean how much worse can it get ? Not much but somehow it did. The temperature dropped or rather my temperature dropped. Being as wet as I was the faster I went down hill the colder I got. I passed a couple turns where I could have bailed but carried on. By the time I got to Harewood House even my eyeballs felt cold, and my armpits. I thought about the intended route and said to myself :
‘’Huh! I’m tough, I can do this no problem’’ ''Bugger this I’m off home !’’

So I turned for Collingham, which if it wasn’t exactly heading home, it was at least cutting down the miles. A fast-ish run down into Collingham saw me getting colder and colder what with the wind chill and so on. I knew I would need to warm up so I decided a climb up Jewitt Lane out of Collingham would do the trick. It worked.
By the time I got to the top I must have been steaming like a carthorse on a frosty day.

Thence into Thorner and back home.
My Garmin thingy must have leaked because it has some odd readings which don't tally. It's got Jewitt Lane as being down hill in the direction I was travelling. Down hill that way it most certainly isn't.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/11498294

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Ride home was the last of a cold and, in the later part, rather windy weeks worth of commuting. It's now proper dark on the way to work in the mornings, and on the way home too. Night shifts are a little better, but won't be long before it's dark all the time.
Hoping to squeeze a decent 'non-commute' ride in over the weekend before groundhog day starts all over again..

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
BBC weather forecast had been saying all week that today was going to be milder than recent days so midweek I plotted a route to get the imperial century for October done. The plan was to set off at 06:30 meaning I would get to the cafe stop between 10:30 and 11:00. Anyway I decided to get up an hour earlier which meant arrival time would be an hour earlier, cafe doesn't open until 10!

I left the house just after 05:30, pitch black, fairly warm and no wind, for an October ride the weather was pretty much perfect. As I knew I didn't want to hang around waiting for the cafe to open I took the first half of the ride nice and steady, roads were wet after the forecast early hours rain and when the sun came up it was a bit foggy but nothing to really reduce visibility. I was expecting to have the roads to myself first thing but there seemed to be a fair few cars about.

Saw no cyclists until I got to Cossington when I came up behind a group who I quickly went by. In Sileby I came across the Syston Syclers (their spelling not mine) had a chat with them as we rode out of Sileby then I decided I could press on. Got to the cafe at about 10 past 10, so timed it pretty much perfectly.

Straight after the cafe stop I went through Old Dalby and hit a right bar steward of a hill, really struggled up it, weather wise it was still foggy and then it started to rain. It didn't ran for long maybe a few minutes but enough to get me wet. Anyway I soon dried out and sods law last few miles the sun came out.

111 miles done in total, two months to go on the imperial challenge.

For a change most of the cyclists I saw were heading in the same direction as me, considering we are in October I was surprised how many I saw.

Anyway time to drink loads of tea and follow this afternoons footy action

https://www.strava.com/activities/745244441

https://www.relive.cc/view/745329386

A route reccy of my Skyride Social from Portsmouth to Portsdown hill for tomorrow.

It's a lovely little route,I just hope the weather is as good tomorrow as it was today.

IMG_3417.JPG

Lovely autumn scene in the park by the Guildhall in Pompey.

IMG_3422.JPG

A lovely summer's day on Portsdown hill.

IMG_3429.JPG

These guys brought some nice cars to Fareham for the 999 day. The guy in the Sherrifs outfit, was an actual 'Merican state trooper. He had a Camaro SS, in full cruisers outfit, with lowered suspension. He told me he'd never 'lost' a persuit, because he waited for the bad guys to roll their car into the median, then go in and bust them:laugh:.

IMG_3425.JPG

The Camaro is on the left. The Pontiac in the main shot was none too shabby either.:thumbsup:.

IMG_3437.JPG

Nice British stuff as well ( a beautiful Mk2 Jaaaag).

IMG_3440.JPG

And a beautiful old Fire Engine.

Nice ride.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
BBC weather forecast had been saying all week that today was going to be milder than recent days so midweek I plotted a route to get the imperial century for October done. The plan was to set off at 06:30 meaning I would get to the cafe stop between 10:30 and 11:00. Anyway I decided to get up an hour earlier which meant arrival time would be an hour earlier, cafe doesn't open until 10!

I left the house just after 05:30, pitch black, fairly warm and no wind, for an October ride the weather was pretty much perfect. As I knew I didn't want to hang around waiting for the cafe to open I took the first half of the ride nice and steady, roads were wet after the forecast early hours rain and when the sun came up it was a bit foggy but nothing to really reduce visibility. I was expecting to have the roads to myself first thing but there seemed to be a fair few cars about.

Saw no cyclists until I got to Cossington when I came up behind a group who I quickly went by. In Sileby I came across the Syston Syclers (their spelling not mine) had a chat with them as we rode out of Sileby then I decided I could press on. Got to the cafe at about 10 past 10, so timed it pretty much perfectly.

Straight after the cafe stop I went through Old Dalby and hit a right bar steward of a hill, really struggled up it, weather wise it was still foggy and then it started to rain. It didn't ran for long maybe a few minutes but enough to get me wet. Anyway I soon dried out and sods law last few miles the sun came out.

For a change most of the cyclists I saw were heading in the same direction as me, considering we are in October I was surprised how many I saw.

Your becoming a cafe regular . It made me smile when I looked on strava and seen you climbed out of old Dalby :ohmy: My test ride on my roadie was from old Dalby up that hill as I made I decided the bike would be ok

13 rider

Guru
Late start today waiting for mate Andy who went to a funeral yesterday and was a bit worse for wear .Out the door just as the suns coming out at 11.30 to meeting point in Cossington .Decided to blast this bit as I knew the ride with Andy will be a steady pace . Covered the 6.6miles to Cossington at an average of 20.6 mph (strava didn't pause and registered 18.5) .Andy soon arrived on his nice shiny new bike (cannondale synapse Alu) very nice so after checking out the bike it was off up Humble lane and up the Wreake valley Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington,Hoby and turned into Ragdale drop into the village and a climb out off it went down Berrycott lane ( which is the correct way not up it @Supersuperleeds ) to Seagrave and back to Andy's house to drop him off .Now the suns out and near perfect conditions so an extended the route home . Cut though Sileby avoiding the temp traffic lights and back to Cossington .Along the old A6 to Quorn and turned to Woodhouse and set about the Beacon . Dragged myself to the top then took my loop out to St Bernards Abbey but did the Shepshed loop the opposite way round which meant going up swannymote rd along drag I only ever done once before . As I left Shepshed I stop for a quick break check my phone and realised strava was still on pause from Cossington :cursing: reset strava and turned on to Swannymote rd had 2 riders well in front but moving slower than me so chased them down caught just as we got to the junction . They were an couple on matching newish boardmans. Chatted for a while and they had not been riding for long so I congratulated them on making it up the hill .Parted company as I settled into my pace down through Oaks in Charnwood which made a nice change as normally I go up it back to Beacon crossroads and back round Bradgate park to Cropston and Home managed 51.6 miles in total in glorious conditions loads of riders out today

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another Saturday ride with Friday night circuits and yoga in my legs, so I was in no rush. It was dull, (the weather) so dull that I didn't take a single picture.

Down to Toft and out to Comberton and I'd seen a couple of kestrels already.
From Harlton I went to Haslingfield then up Chapel Hill and on to Barrington. There were a couple of very young kids out riding ponies with their dad.
I carried on to Shepreth and over the A10 to Fowlmere, a hint of sunshine. I took the sign to Newton, now wind assisted. I ended up in Thriplow, then went through Newton, an old Humber estate car with a wedding ribbon on it came the other way.
From Newton it was down to Harston and a well timed traffic free blast for a short stretch of the A10. Coming into Haslingfield I decided on another ascent of Chapel Hill. Over the other side and my stomach was hit by a thunderbolt. I used to get this quite often, but I've been lucky in the last few years.
I turned for Orwell. I had to ease right off. Would I make it to Wimpole...? I had no lock... hmmmm. What to do?
I was racking my brain thinking if there was a public loo in Orwell, and then it became apparent that it was now or never! Don't you just love a sycamore tree? It's a non natural, introduced species, but it does have fulsome leaves!
The worst thing about it all is that I had bibs on, so stripping off had me feeling really cold. I wouldn't warm up until I got in the shower.
So I got on my bike again. My options were the A603 back to Comberton, fast and horrible or Old Wimpole Hill and the A1198. Old Wimpole it was. I didn't push too hard up the hill....
The A1198 was fairly quiet. At Longstowe I turned for home, my original idea had me going to Gamlingay but there was no chance.
I plodded back, just trying not to rush, keep it steady. Just past Bourn golf club my legs went. There was no gas in the tank and my stomach was still doing somersaults. Oh dear. 5 miles of cajoling my little brain into thinking it was all ok!
Eventually I got home, head starting to spin a bit.
Just over 35 miles. I'd planned 50 today. Never mind!

https://www.strava.com/activities/745237144

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Weather forecast predicted showers, but it's been dry all day. The sun even came out for a bit too! :okay:

After last weeks disappointing Pork Pie from Otley, i decided to head east today. There would be no porcine comestibles, but there would be a lot less lumpiness in the scenery too.

Local roads before the climb up to Scholes, then on to Barwick and down Long Lane to Garforth, then the climb back up to the M1 bridge and on to Aberford, where I might have very briefly activated a certain sign...:whistle:
Right and up the hill to Lotherton Gates, then a quick left right wriggle and the lovely smooth recently resurfaced road out to the Saxton turning and that sharp little sod of a hill, before a misty meander through the rolling fields on the approach to the village, where I stopped for a quick photo and a few stretches:
IMG_20161015_091221997_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161015_091247861_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and through the village, and on to Barkston Ash and the long straight mile to Church Fenton. Over the railway bridge and through the village, taking the right for the back road round the airfield and on to Ryther. Right and on past Mrs B's Kitchen where I resisted the temptation to stop for a bacon butty (so there was pork available after all!) and ploughed on to Cawood and over the bridge.
Along the long straight, passing a lad on a hand bike heading the opposite way, accompanied by a cheery female companion on a road bike.
Right again and on through Kelfield to Riccall and onto NCN R65, the Solar Cycle.
I know I moan about the ridged surface in several places along here, but it remains preferable to slogging up the busy A19, even if it was covered in fallen leaves, twigs and other bits of tree today. It was a bit quieter today and everyone (cyclists, joggers and dog walkers) was playing the game so it was a pleasant enough ride.
Eventually popped up at the P&R at Askham Bar (see what i did there?:laugh:) where a quick stop was in order along with a slightly out of date energy bar (how can anything with that much sugar in possibly go off?) and another pic:
IMG_20161015_103848848.jpg

Now might be a good time to point out that I took the advice from @vickster and ensured that I had matching water bottles today after my previous telling off...;)
Hopefully the colour co-ordinated mini D-lock will earn me a brownie point too :whistle:

As you can see, the sun was out by now and although it certainly wasn't warm it made for a pleasant ride down to Askham Richard and out into the countryside as I started the homeward leg of the ride.
From there it's all country lanes through Healaugh and Wighill, eventually passing through Walton and Thorp Arch before plunging down to the bridge over the river, where I stopped for the final photo of the day:
IMG_20161015_114432931.jpg

Up the hill into Boston Spa and then familiar ground to Clifford, down the hill to Bramham and the inevitable climb back out to the A1(M) bridge which continues over the other side and then the long way round to Thorner via Milner Lane. Through the village and the climb up Van Zyl Hill (Sandhills), before the only truly bad pass of the day from an old lass in a Honda on Skeltons Lane, the Coal Road and the welcome downhill run to home on local roads.

53.36 miles (85.87km) in 3h 32m at an average of 15.1mph, with 1,722ft climbed.
So that's the imperial half in for this month keeping that run going, but it was hard work, especially for the first and last ten miles.
Not sure what's going on at the moment, but I'm really struggling to get going and almost have to force myself to stick at it until everything clicks. Really enjoyed the middle bit though and reckon I got the clothing about right for the conditions too - first outing in a long time for the bib tights and full gloves.
The funny thing is that the times / average speeds are still around what I'd be doing, it just feels like hard work, so goodness knows whats going on.:tired:

Oh, and despite it being dry the bike is now filthy from road muck, etc so a thorough clean is needed.:headshake:

15102016.JPG

Last edited:

When you get out that early it makes it even better knowing that most people are still asleep. I think its called feeling smug.

Top Bottom