Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.relive.cc/view/745329386

A route reccy of my Skyride Social from Portsmouth to Portsdown hill for tomorrow.

It's a lovely little route,I just hope the weather is as good tomorrow as it was today.

View attachment 147932

Lovely autumn scene in the park by the Guildhall in Pompey.

View attachment 147935

A lovely summer's day on Portsdown hill.

View attachment 147937
These guys brought some nice cars to Fareham for the 999 day. The guy in the Sherrifs outfit, was an actual 'Merican state trooper. He had a Camaro SS, in full cruisers outfit, with lowered suspension. He told me he'd never 'lost' a persuit, because he waited for the bad guys to roll their car into the median, then go in and bust them:laugh:.

View attachment 147942

How thoughtful to allow the kids to climb all over the fire engine.

The Camaro is on the left. The Pontiac in the main shot was none too shabby either.:thumbsup:.

View attachment 147944

Nice British stuff as well ( a beautiful Mk2 Jaaaag).

View attachment 147951

And a beautiful old Fire Engine.

Nice ride.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The first genuinely cold ride of the Autumn, at least the first half was.

No plans for Saturday so was able to get a longer ride in. Glossop - Snake Pass - Hathersage - Bakewell - Monyash - Tideswell - New Mills - Glossop

Still just in the shorts but succumbed to a thermal under the cycling shirt. On the top of the Snake it was 6 degrees, misty, windy. Proper chilly. Battled on with the headwind all the way to Bakewell but no stopping for a pudding there (please do not refer to Bakewell Tarts...these are some affectation...it's a pudding that looks nothing like a Bakewell Tart that's the real deal)

The lanes between Bakewell and Monyash are great. No stupid gradients unlike the Dark Peak to the north. And virtually no traffic at all. Still bloomin' chilly and misty though. Got to Monyash and called in at the café. Chip muffin....but with frozen chips. Bit disappointing. Onward and I got chased by a barking sheepdog...I told it to f*** off and it seemed to understand my intent. By now I was heading north and had a bit of a tailwind ...up through Tideswell, Doveholes, Chapel en le Frith, Whaley Bridge. Just before home is the final stinger...Chunal. In itself it isn't too bad (about 1km @ 9%) but at the end of a ride it's a bit of a killer

All in all a good ride out. 103km with 1700m of climbing. Not so much as to completely do me in but enough to encourage me to have an afternoon recovery nap

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The first genuinely cold ride of the Autumn, at least the first half was.

No plans for Saturday so was able to get a longer ride in. Glossop - Snake Pass - Hathersage - Bakewell - Monyash - Tideswell - New Mills - Glossop

Still just in the shorts but succumbed to a thermal under the cycling shirt. On the top of the Snake it was 6 degrees, misty, windy. Proper chilly. Battled on with the headwind all the way to Bakewell but no stopping for a pudding there (please do not refer to Bakewell Tarts...these are some affectation...it's a pudding that looks nothing like a Bakewell Tart that's the real deal)

The lanes between Bakewell and Monyash are great. No stupid gradients unlike the Dark Peak to the north. And virtually no traffic at all. Still bloomin' chilly and misty though. Got to Monyash and called in at the café. Chip muffin....but with frozen chips. Bit disappointing. Onward and I got chased by a barking sheepdog...I told it to f*** off and it seemed to understand my intent. By now I was heading north and had a bit of a tailwind ...up through Tideswell, Doveholes, Chapel en le Frith, Whaley Bridge. Just before home is the final stinger...Chunal. In itself it isn't too bad (about 1km @ 9%) but at the end of a ride it's a bit of a killer

All in all a good ride out. 103km with 1700m of climbing. Not so much as to completely do me in but enough to encourage me to have an afternoon recovery nap
The climb out of Bakewell is a bit of a begger though. I'd have stopped at the 'Bulls Head' in Monyash, one of my favourite pubs ever. :hungry: :cheers::becool:

Dan's Owd Man

Hi All
Not posted on this thread before so here goes.
First 10miles in the morning was into Long Eaton shopping on the Shopping Trolley(Viscount Sport) then back home for some lunch.

Recently finished off a first build of my unknown CX frame and forks. French tubing ,bottom bracket and headset .
Nervex Pro lugs.
I repainted and built it up to test,can't get on with drop bars as i have Arthritis in my left wrist,so i have fitted some straight bars on it they agree with my wrist^_^.

I set out heading sort of South /West ish.into the wind.Castle Donnington,Diseworth,Belton, then up a long drag Swannymote Road to Whitwick :eek:
13rider was the big tree branch hanging across both sides of the road when you went up this morning?
I have driven past Mount St Bernard Monastery many times in the past but never stopped so today was the first.
Dont know if it's just me but it felt really calm and peaceful walking around the grounds.

From there i set off for Ashby De La Zouch ,because i never had my OS map with me i made for the A512, just a tad busy:eek:.
Thingstone,Coleorton,Ashby,Boundary past a strange shaped house with "Toll House" on the front.Then on to Woodville,Midway,Newhall then drop down into Burton on Trent.
Turn right up to Newton Solney ,then onto Repton,Willington and the nice flat ride back to Swarkston,right to Weston on Trent,Aston on Trent then home 56.5 miles all in .

https://www.strava.com/activities/745545927

20161015_143308.jpg
20161015_143321.jpg
20161015_143407.jpg
20161015_153230.jpg
20161015_153242.jpg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Hi All
Not posted on this thread before so here goes.
First 10miles in the morning was into Long Eaton shopping on the Shopping Trolley(Viscount Sport) then back home for some lunch.

Recently finished off a first build of my unknown CX frame and forks. French tubing ,bottom bracket and headset .
Nervex Pro lugs.
I repainted and built it up to test,can't get on with drop bars as i have Arthritis in my left wrist,so i have fitted some straight bars on it they agree with my wrist^_^.

I set out heading sort of South /West ish.into the wind.Castle Donnington,Diseworth,Belton,Whitwick then up a long drag(Swannymote Road).:eek:
13rider was the big tree branch hanging across both sides of the road when you went up this morning?
I have driven past Mount St Bernard Monastery many times in the past but never stopped so today was the first.
Dont know if it's just me but it felt really calm and peaceful walking around the grounds.

From there i set off for Ashby De La Zouch ,because i never had my OS map with me i made for the A512, just a tad busy:eek:.
Thingstone,Coleorton,Ashby,Boundary past a strange shaped house with "Toll House" on the front.Then on to Woodville,Midway,Newhall then drop down into Burton on Trent.
Turn right up to Newton Solney ,then onto Repton,Willington and the nice flat ride back to Swarkston,right to Weston on Trent,Aston on Trent then home 56.5 miles all in .

https://www.strava.com/activities/745545927

View attachment 148013 View attachment 148018 View attachment 148019 View attachment 148022 View attachment 148023
Yes the branch was there I went up it about 1430 . My favorite route is up to the Abbey and down swannymote rd thats good fun

colly

Re member eR
Early mornings seem to be the thing for me just now. No idea why.
I went east and I'm not sure yet but I feel the puncture fairy out that way has it in for me. :sad: Just coming out of Sherburn I was struck. So after bit of faffing about under a street lamp I was on my way again. Only to feel the rear getting soft a mile or so further on.:cursing: So even more faffing about this time in the dark I was off again.
Nice run out but the last 5 miles saw my back aching like a good un.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/11528098

42 miles yesterday to Dundrum and back of which about 30 were very wet. Good thing was my new winter jacket kept my upper body nice and dry.

Old jon

Guru
It has been a while since I pushed a pedal. The sneezes started about three hours after my previous ride finished, the odd painful bit of body happened, my left knee being the latest, and I decided yesterday, with the help of a pint or some, to get out on the bike today. So I did.

Thirteen and a half miles later I feel much better for that. My knee does not quite agree with me, but then I am blaming that joint for shortening the ride. Oh, the ride. The Holbeck shuffle, that is really on autopilot, meander through the wilds of Hunslet, which I have just found has a branch of Screwfix open seven days a week. The climb up to John o’ Gaunts is just as steep as ever for these old legs, and the rain started. So, down the hill to the Oulton roundabout, a right turn towards Rothwell and through to Robin Hood.

Turn right again to head straight back to Leeds, first time I have ridden past the jawbones this year, and then along the old Wakefield road back to Hunslet. Not the most scenic ride, it did start the legs working though.
A rainy ride is an odd shape . . .

16102016.jpg

gavgav

Guru
The overnight rain passed through by 10:30 and so I was able to fit in a short ride before lunch. My original plan was to head North, but there were reports of 3 separate Hay fires at Uffington (someone's been up to no good :thumbsdown:) and police were warning people to stay away from the area due to smoke, so I headed south instead.

Quite mild but breezy as I set out through the estate and out onto the Betton Abbots Rd, with a headwind making it slow going to Berrington and Cound. Just after Cound I almost had a squirrel in my lap, as one jumped off the bank to my left, passing over the front wheel and down onto the road :eek:!! This was the first of 5 squirrels that I saw in the next mile or so, but at least the rest were visible and I could avoid them a bit more easily!

Went through the ford, with no water in it, but then doubled back through another one a bit higher up and there was water in that one, no trouble to get through though and I climbed up to Acton Piggott.

From there I continued to Acton Burnell and then a nice stretch, with the wind behind me, through Pitchford and Cantlop. Once back in Shrewsbury I went up Wenlock Rd, with 2 unnecessary close passes :thumbsdown: and then back through the estate home, having done 16.4 miles.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'm liking the arch @User9609 !

Sunday morning in Cambrigeshire dawned a bit :rain:, so we went and did our chores. Once back I was getting on with making Christmas cards (early eh?) when I realised it was bright sunshine. Off I scampered to get changed!

As the roads were soaking I took the Spa for a rare weekend journey. Out and around to Bourn, then up to Kingston and up and down to the Eversdens.
In and out the other side of Harlton and things were looking good

IMG_1156.JPG

It was a bit blowy from the south, but you can't have it all. Back over the A603 and toward Comberton. A lovely female Sparrowhawk went over my head, gaining height as she went.
In Comberton I went up Green End. The last time here I had my fight with the dragonfly. An honourable draw. No incidents today, but the hawthorn hedge delivered a knockout punch

IMG_1162.JPG

Just around the corner a cherry tree joined in the fun

IMG_1164.JPG

On to Long Road. I stopped at a gate and looked down to Cambridge

IMG_1166.JPG

Then I set off down the dip

IMG_1168.JPG

It was only 17 miles, but miles filled with colour!

https://www.strava.com/activities/746529509

Dark46

Veteran
Well just for a change I over slept this morning for the KCC ride. I let @Frazzle and @Donger know just to put people in the picture.

So @Frazzle rang me later and we arranged to meet at 11:30.

For a change I was ready before he got to my place and I set off to meet him en route.

We headed out to the Elmore loop and I suggested the long way round before we went to the coffee stop. @Frazzle was moaning about how dirty the bike was getting lol. Mind you now home I have to agree with him. The loop is not the best place after some rain in the night.

The wind was a bit rough today and we were hoping for some tail wind on the way back.

We got to the Stables for coffee and a slice of Ginger slice and I got @Frazzle a large Hot Chocolate.

As we left the bridge had swang and hed decided to go down tbe canal path south to the next bridge. Not the best thing on road bikes. Well part way down @Frazzle spotted a gap in the hedge between us and the road and hraded through it. As we hit the road one of the Stroud Velo riders came towards us. As sods law goes when we got to the nexg bridge that had swung too.

We then road through Frampton and on to the A38. On the A38 @Frazzle decided to put his foot down abit and I couldn't keep up.
As we approached Hardwick @Frazzle decided to go for segment , I tried my best and a pb wohoo.

When we got back I was just under 20 miles so I decided to go for a solo loop yo take it over 20 miles.

So not the longest of rides but enjoyable and better than sitting on your ass doing nothing.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Lay in bed listening to it pouring down this morning, right up until an hour before the club ride. Opted for overshoes, long-sleeved base layer and my thickest rain jacket in the circumstances, which meant no stowage room for a camera, Turned out that, unlike last weeks great show of 25 riders, there were only 5 of us today. Of these, only Rich, Ian and I were doing the intermediate ride, and Ian was going to have to do a shortened version as he had a deadline.

Did a great loop of 36.9 miles, out to Stroud, then via Woodchester to Nailsworth, then left to Avening and up past Gatcombe Park to Minchinhampton. It was then that I started to regret not bringing a camera, as we were treated to the surreal sight of a herd of long-horned highland cattle strolling towards the middle of the village, passing between parked cars to munch the verges. That was followed by a terrific ride across Minchinhampton Common and Rodborough Common, with stunning views down to rows of sunlit houses lining the upper reaches of the valley sides below. The light conditions were perfect.

After an exhilarating descent back into Stroud, we started the biggest and toughest climb of the day, up through Ruscombe and Whiteshill to Edge. By this time Ian had cut and run, and it was just Rich and me. Just as we were cresting the steep hill in the middle of the village of Ruscombe, Rich drew my attention to a couple of deer standing a mere 200 yds away on the common just down below us. We watched them, and they watched us for about 30 seconds before we moved on, not wanting to spook them any more than we already had. We carried on up the painfully steep hill through Whiteshill before going our separate ways, both of us overdressed and boiling-in-the-bag.

Dressed for cold and rain, but ended up stewing and wet on the inside but not a drop of rain fell for the whole ride. No camera, so obviously the highland cattle, the deer and the sunlit vistas presented themselves like never before. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes.

Hope you all had decent weather too. Cheers, Donger.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A morning spent going to the dump, then making a large pastry batch followed by baking Orea cupcakes with my daughter and a friend saw most of the day gone. A quick dash out whilst the cupcakes cooled enough to decorate, so 12 miles for me today in the afternoon sun. Fair play to those out in the rain this morning, the group of 4 I spotted on the dump run in torrential rain didn't look to be enjoying themselves too much.

Top Bottom