Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Days-off last week were Thursday 17th/Friday 18th
Short ride on Thursday, only a couple of hours, nothing really worthy of note
Friday, saw me taken shopping by SWMBO, to White Rose (Leeds)
I think that was because, I had suggested Meadowhell (Sheffield), so I could drop her off, & nip to the other side of the M1, & go to Planet X (not been to that branch yet, usually go to Worsborough)
Failing that, we'd call there after shopping

Worked Saturday/Sunday, so no ride then
ParkRun (Temple Newsam - East Leeds), then home, & to work for 11:15

Sunday, ran XC to work (head-torch, through woods/along river bank @ 06:30), & home same way @ 16:00

Got the coming weekend off, but it might be a 'dad - daughter' trip to Haworth?

Buck

Guru
Well I've failed miserably in getting out on the bike recently - busy work, busy home life and less favourable weather have been my excuses.

I had a days holiday today and I was determined to get on the bike. The weather was definitely not one for going out in so I hooked up the turbo trainer and managed 50km on Zwift. Yes, it felt hard work but I was glad to have turned the pedals again. For fun I went on the Z wheeler trike.

I selected the mountain course for a bit more of a challenge and said hello to the mountain goat!

IMG_3422.JPG

Then gave it some beans on the downhill !

IMG_3423.JPG

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.40.36.png

50.4K/31.3m and 632m/2,000ft of climbing

Attachments

• IMG_3421.JPG
    IMG_3421.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 56

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today proves you are always only a split second away from a calamity on a bicycle.

Plan was an early start to complete a Sunderland - Newcastle - South Shields - Sunderland loop before the forecast rain.

I made it out by about 7.30am, and the first pic is supposed to show construction work on Sunderland's new bridge.

Mmm, might have been a bit dark for the camera, but the bridge is the bluish blob under the crane.

Bridge 1.JPG

My next bridge is over the A19 and is the site of the calamity.

Black ice on the way down had me off in a second.

At least I flopped over fairly straight, so took the impact evenly.

Getting up was a problem - no traction - so I crawled to the side to reach the handrail.

Just after I'd restored perpendicularity, another cyclist fell at the same place.

As he said, you don't expect black ice in wet conditions, although there's nothing under the carriageway at that point so perhaps I should have known better.

Bridge .2.JPG

No harm done by the fall, although it rather took the impetus off the ride.

I trundled on gingerly towards Gateshead, steering clear of any paths I might have used.

More bridges in the next pic, including the Blinking Eye which I crossed.

The large silver building is the Sage concert hall, not that I've ever been in.

Bridge .3.JPG

The wall next to the bike was still icy which caused me some concern because my route along the north of the Tyne towards North Shields would ordinarily be along cycle paths.

I decided to stop for a few minutes at the Bike Hub at Ouseburn to have a think.

Handy place for a comfort break, too, although in general I get the impression it hasn't quite taken off as hoped.

Hub .1.JPG

The route decision was an easy one - stay on the roads.

Not much lost, the post-industrial landscape of Wallsend and Walker beside the Tyne has some interest, but there's lots of social deprivation.

The general area is dog rough and looks it.

Not much greenery on the ride, but the landscaping near Royal Quays is quite attractive.

The paths look OK by this time.

Quays .1.JPG

A short run down to the Shields Ferry, and a short wait for the boat to come in.

Ferry .1.JPG

Tyne crossed, it's now about nine miles home.

The wind has got up, but at least it's a side/tail one.

And still strong enough to blow the bike over when I stopped at Marsden for this pic.

Not doing too well, am I?

Fell over.JPG

No more pics - too risky - and there's now a few spots of rain so it's head down for home.

About 35 miles, no harm done to bike or rider by the falls, and a useful reminder to watch out for the conditions at this time of year.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider, is that footbridge the one near the aircraft museum? That wasn't too nice in summer due to people when I popped over it.

Yes, that's the one.

It's handy to cut across to Follingsby Lane which is the approved route to Gateshead/Newcastle.

A bit off the beaten track so there can be some skulduggery along there, although I've not had any bother apart from having to dodge old sofas, burnt out wheelie bins and the like.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The Met Office continued to correct their forecast, and at 0530hrs there was a very fine drizzle, not enough for the wet weather gear. 1 mile from the Airport it started raining proper so I go t a bit damp. Fortunately we have a decent drying room, so should have dry stuff for the way home, which is forecast to be very wet.
Oh, and I lost my banana somewhere on the way. I may pass it on the return journey, though doubt it will be much use now. Suprisingly I really quite missed my banana with my morning coffee...:sad:

Yes, that's the one.

It's handy to cut across to Follingsby Lane which is the approved route to Gateshead/Newcastle.

A bit off the beaten track so there can be some skulduggery along there, although I've not had any bother apart from having to dodge old sofas, burnt out wheelie bins and the like.

Cool, thanks. It looked familiar from the one time I popped across it earlier this year to take a picture of the Vulcan there on my tour!

Is your SWMBO as subtle as mine in saying " do you fancy going into town today , a drive visit friends etc etc " which actually means we are doing any of those things today, Love her to bits but boy does she affect how often I get out on my bike.

bruce1530

Guru
Hurricane Angus was battering the southern parts of the UK, whereas here in west/central Scotland, we were officially having No Weather. Looking at the BBC forecast yesterday, there were absolutely no weather symbols over my part of the world. More detailed inspection said that it would be cold, dry, cold, calm and cold.

So I booked a day off work and set myself up for one of those challenges I’ve been meaning to do all year, but never quite got round to - Arran.

The ferry terminal is about 3 miles from my house - I left just after 9, plenty of time to get a ticket and catch the 9.45 sailing.

IMG_2011.JPG

Usually in the summer, there’s a whole peloton of cyclists getting on and off the ferry - sometimes maybe 50?. There’s even a separate “marshalling yard" for bikes, and lots of signs saying that at busy times, the number of cycles may be restricted.

Today, the ferry was busy with cars, and lorries, but I was the only bike.

Calm crossing.

IMG_2013.JPG

That’s where I’m going

IMG_2015.JPG

And that’s where I’ve come from. Cold, calm and misty morning - the mist was almost like steam rising from the sea.

The crossing takes about an hour, and as we approached Arran, the views were quite spectacular.

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

The road round Arran is about 55 miles long. The ferry port is at Brodick, about half way along the east coast of the island. The road to the south is lumpy, with 3 or 4 climbs of around 400 feet. Once you get round to the west coast of the island, the road hugs the coast, and is pretty flat for around 20 miles, before you hit the final hill - the 650ft climb up out of Lochranza through Glen Sannox, across the top of the island, then downhill to the coast and a 10 mile flat run back to the ferry.

Conventional wisdom is that the trip is normally easier clockwise - the prevailing wind tends to be from the south or west, so that means you have a tailwind on the more exposed west coast.

So I came off the boat, out of the harbour and turned left. Checked my watch - it was 11.00. I had to be back here at 4.30 if I was to catch the 4.45 ferry home. Five and a half hours should be plenty....

Immediately, I hit the first climb - 400 feet over a couple of miles, and I was struggling. My thighs were screaming - was this trip a daft idea? It was very cold, and I guess I just hadn’t warmed up properly. Was having all sorts of thoughts - I’ll push on to the next village, stop there, and decide what to do.

And then suddenly I was over the top, freewheeling down to Lamlash at 30mph.

Through Lamlash, and up the next hill, just as steep, on the road to Whiting Bay. Felt good. Easily passed a couple of other cyclists who were spinning up the hill, and couldn’t believe I was doing 18mph on the flatter uphill section at the top. Something’s not right, or maybe it’s just the Arran magic...

On through Whiting Bay, another couple of climbs up to about 500ft and along the south coast.

I’m now in unfamiliar territory. I think of myself as a regular visitor to the island, but usually on foot, and don’t stray more than a few miles from the ferry terminal. The last time I was on the south coast was when I was camping as a teenager, well over 30 years ago.

IMG_2020.JPG

The lighthouse at Pladda.

By this time, it was well after 12, and I was starting to get hungry. Let’s find a cafe for some soup, a coffee, maybe some cake....
Unfortunately, it’s winter, and the south of Arran appears to be shut! Every village I came to seemed to have a cafe, hotel, pub or tearoom - that was closed!

By the time I descended down to Blackwaterfoot, on the west coast about 25 miles into the ride, I was quite cold and hungry. The hotel was open, so I had some soup, bread and a coffee. Very nice, but tourist prices!

Back on the road, and heading north along the west coast. Some really spectacular views here across the Kilbrannan sound to Kintyre, but my hopes for the tailwind were of course overly optimistic - the wind wasn’t strong, but was from the north - in my face, and bitterly cold.

As I approached the northwest corner of the island, I wanted to have another stop, to get a warm drink and a “comfort break” in preparation for the last big climb - but just like the south, everywhere appeared to be closed.

Past Lochranza, and started the climb up Glen Sannox.
IMG_2022.JPG

That was the steepest climb of the day - 600ft over maybe a couple of miles.

IMG_2023.JPG

Looking back down.

At that point, I heard an ominous noise from my pocket - the phone battery was flat, so the Strava tracking stopped, and no more photos. So I have no evidence of the speed I got to coming down the other side of that hill. But it’s the fastest I’ve ever done on a bike,

By this time, it’s starting to get dark, and the sunset was incredible - bright pink and orange - but no camera to record it. A ten mile cruise along the coast road back to Brodick, with just enough time for a quick beer before getting on the ferry at 4.30.

A great day, 62 miles in total, my longest trip so far!
But next time, I’ll probably choose a warmer day.

Attachments

• IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 58

Mrs M

Guru
Hurricane Angus was battering the southern parts of the UK, whereas here in west/central Scotland, we were officially having No Weather. Looking at the BBC forecast yesterday, there were absolutely no weather symbols over my part of the world. More detailed inspection said that it would be cold, dry, cold, calm and cold.

So I booked a day off work and set myself up for one of those challenges I’ve been meaning to do all year, but never quite got round to - Arran.

The ferry terminal is about 3 miles from my house - I left just after 9, plenty of time to get a ticket and catch the 9.45 sailing.

View attachment 152045

Usually in the summer, there’s a whole peloton of cyclists getting on and off the ferry - sometimes maybe 50?. There’s even a separate “marshalling yard" for bikes, and lots of signs saying that at busy times, the number of cycles may be restricted.

Calm crossing.

View attachment 152046

That’s where I’m going

View attachment 152047

And that’s where I’ve come from. Cold, calm and misty morning - the mist was almost like steam rising from the sea.

The crossing takes about an hour, and as we approached Arran, the views were quite spectacular.

View attachment 152049

View attachment 152048

The road round Arran is about 55 miles long. The ferry port is at Brodick, about half way along the east coast of the island. The road to the south is lumpy, with 3 or 4 climbs of around 400 feet. Once you get round to the west coast of the island, the road hugs the coast, and is pretty flat for around 20 miles, before you hit the final hill - the 650ft climb up out of Lochranza through Glen Sannox, across the top of the island, then downhill to the coast and a 10 mile flat run back to the ferry.

Conventional wisdom is that the trip is normally easier clockwise - the prevailing wind tends to be from the south or west, so that means you have a tailwind on the more exposed west coast.

So I came off the boat, out of the harbour and turned left. Checked my watch - it was 11.00. I had to be back here at 4.30 if I was to catch the 4.45 ferry home. Five and a half hours should be plenty....

Immediately, I hit the first climb - 400 feet over a couple of miles, and I was struggling. My thighs were screaming - was this trip a daft idea? It was very cold, and I guess I just hadn’t warmed up properly. Was having all sorts of thoughts - I’ll push on to the next village, stop there, and decide what to do.

Through Lamlash, and up the next hill, just as steep, on the road to Whiting Bay. Felt good. Easily passed a couple of other cyclists who were spinning up the hill, and couldn’t believe I was doing 18mph on the flatter uphill section at the top. Something’s not right, or maybe it’s just the Arran magic...

On through Whiting Bay, another couple of climbs up to about 500ft and along the south coast.

I’m now in unfamiliar territory. I think of myself as a regular visitor to the island, but usually on foot, and don’t stray more than a few miles from the ferry terminal. The last time I was on the south coast was when I was camping as a teenager, well over 30 years ago.

View attachment 152054

By this time, it was well after 12, and I was starting to get hungry. Let’s find a cafe for some soup, a coffee, maybe some cake....
Unfortunately, it’s winter, and the south of Arran appears to be shut! Every village I came to seemed to have a cafe, hotel, pub or tearoom - that was closed!

By the time I descended down to Blackwaterfoot, on the west coast about 25 miles into the ride, I was quite cold and hungry. The hotel was open, so I had some soup, bread and a coffee. Very nice, but tourist prices!

Back on the road, and heading north along the west coast. Some really spectacular views here across the Kilbrannan sound to Kintyre, but my hopes for the tailwind were of course overly optimistic - the wind wasn’t strong, but was from the north - in my face, and bitterly cold.

As I approached the northwest corner of the island, I wanted to have another stop, to get a warm drink and a “comfort break” in preparation for the last big climb - but just like the south, everywhere appeared to be closed.

View attachment 152057

View attachment 152059

Looking back down.

At that point, I heard an ominous noise from my pocket - the phone battery was flat, so the Strava tracking stopped, and no more photos. So I have no evidence of the speed I got to coming down the other side of that hill. But it’s the fastest I’ve ever done on a bike,

By this time, it’s starting to get dark, and the sunset was incredible - bright pink and orange - but no camera to record it. A ten mile cruise along the coast road back to Brodick, with just enough time for a quick beer before getting on the ferry at 4.30.

Well done :bicycle:
Looks a magic day out.
Mr M has fond memories of his trips to Arran when he was a boy :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

View attachment 152045

Calm crossing.

View attachment 152046

That’s where I’m going

View attachment 152047

View attachment 152049

View attachment 152048

View attachment 152054

View attachment 152057

View attachment 152059

Looking back down.

Great ride report. :okay:

I've only visited Arran once, 30 years ago and your report reminded me how much I enjoyed it.
Even with my legendary hatred of boats and all things nautical, I really must get back up there and taking the bike this time.

PS - I'm not Mr M! ;)

GGJ

Veteran
Arran's a great day out for a cycle, first time I did it was also a November day, but with the sea blowing across the road as I went through Kilmoy, the sleet, hailstones, rain and occasional sunshine it was tough going. Last time I ventured over was a summers day and I did a figure eight crossing the String Road twice, a total of 77 miles and almost 6000 feet of elevation

gavgav

Guru

View attachment 152045

Calm crossing.

View attachment 152046

That’s where I’m going

View attachment 152047

View attachment 152049

View attachment 152048

View attachment 152054

View attachment 152057

View attachment 152059

Looking back down.

Stunning!!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The Arran report reminded me of one of my most satisfying rides ever, over 20 years ago now. This sort of thing happens quite frequently, and I'd like to talk about it, but I never feel it's right to pollute this wonderful thread with stuff that is very much not about today.

Does anyone like the idea of a similar "Your ride yesterday...." thread?

Top Bottom