Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
32 mile slow ride around and about Great Budworth.
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/route/933902/Ride-Around-Great-Budworth
CHSMF0987_Autumnal_Colours__White_Cottages_at_Great_Budworth_Great_Budworth_Cheshire.jpg

Last edited:
Distinctly chilly start for today's club ride but a very good turnout for both the easy and mod groups.

Got the clothing right today with the Isadore jersey(with baselayer),club gilet and Sportful no rain tights and shoe covers(with my favourite TIC Omloop socks)keeping me cosy; only bits that were cold were my fingers and It seems that the Castelli gloves hit their limit below 3c,so may have to treat myself to some warmer gloves(new Sportfuls are top of the list).

Good ride though and a nice coffee and cake at the River tea Rooms in St Ives;

IMG_20161119_103117605.jpg

View from the bridge by the tea rooms;

IMG_20161119_110652672_HDR.jpg

And the winter Icarus;
IMG_20161119_110832839.jpg

Steady run back via Fenstanton,Swavesey and the busway and then once back at Wilburton and Grunty fen I headed off for an extra loop via Coveney,Pymoor and Little Downham and then Queen Adelaide to make up this months 100km challenge and Strada Fondo.

https://www.strava.com/activities/774356639

Cracking day and ride-out topped off with a recovery ride to drop off a birthday card and some shopping.

https://www.strava.com/activities/779851766

Oh and 11,000kms up for the year.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A later start for us today, it was still bloody cold though. Unlike @Elybazza61 i got my kit wrong, I was missing a base layer from the off, never really warmed up but my hands were good in my trek mates gloves.
Not far out of Hardwick and we'd seen two buzzards sat idly, one on a fence post, one atop a weedy sapling, the buzzard at 45°, like a drunk Christmas fairy.
We turned down toward Knapwell, the oak trees looking like they were covered in cornflake leaves

IMG_1359.JPG

Down the hill we passed cyclist after cyclist coming the other way, not sure if there was something organised going on. At the junction we headed straight on for Connington despite signs saying 'road closed ahead'...
The stoker said that roads are never that closed, little did we know!

Before we got to the village we'd seen some nice Bullfinches and some Gloucester cattle and a big old flock of lapwing in another field. We then entered the village. Past the pub there was a full barrier up and a bored lad sat in a truck parked broadside. The road is no more due to the widening of the A14. Such a pity, the next mile or so is/was quite pretty with small hedged meadows, so rare in Cambs. Even rarer now.

About turn, and I'd never been on this road in this direction, and would you believe it, an uphill slopey section heading into the south west wind. Nice!

So we went via Boxworth and over the A14. We ended up in Swavesey, another place close by that we've never really been to. We pulled in at St Andrews church to take a pic for @PeteXXX and his current photo competition.
Bloody typical, as I was sizing up the pic a car drove up the driveway, it was a race to get the shot. In my haste I didn't get all the front wheel in...
IMG_1361.JPG

A few yards later we were on the busway heading for St Ives, our original destination. A few yards later we had a front puncture, so a quick tube swap was had. A big thank you to the man who stopped to see if we needed help.

Off again on a slightly spongy tyre (the boy is getting me a Lezyne mini track pump for Christmas!) and we got ourselves into St Ives. A big thank you to the nice man in Richardsons cycles for the loan of his track pump.

Unlike Bazza we stopped at Toms cakes, blooming nice it was too, although the only seating left was outside
IMG_1365.JPG

Full of good, wholesome insulation properties!

Back down the busway seeing kestrels, tufted duck, goldeneye, cormorant and mute swan. We saw some traditional short legged Hereford cattle (can you guess I wanted to go into cattle farming as a youth?)

We left the busway at Oakington, lights on front and back. Through Girton, down Storeys Way and through the University West Cambridge site before coming up Madingley Hill and home.

36 chilly, lovely miles!

https://www.strava.com/activities/779965113

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The forecast was'nt great but it was my day off and by midday it was still dry, so I forced myself out. Heading north across the river I pass Cable St Mural in Shadwell.
IMG_20161117_130637_zpszzz0k3k2.jpg

IMG_20161117_130658_zpsl2sfvsu1.jpg

Then up to Abney Park cemetery to witness it being slowly covered in falling leaves
IMG_20161117_135930_zpsn34huknv.jpg

IMG_20161117_141317_zpskjfbbpty.jpg

This marble sleeping lion marks the grave of Frank Bostock, Animal King, famed for his travelling menageries
IMG_20161117_134835_zpsbn420mvo.jpg

In his memoirs he reveals he discovered how big cats were wary of the underside of a chair. I always wondered why lion tamers used a chair, I thought it was just a prop they'd been sat on, but apparently the lion tries to focus on the 4 chair legs at the same time, with its focus divided the lion becomes confused and unsure what to do next, obviously discounting the idea of having the tamer for lunch. Frank is also credited with introducing the boxing kangeroo to the public, and in a 1901 experiment to prove what I'm not sure, sent a 100 year old Egyptian crocodile over Niagra Falls, the croc was fine apparently.

Then onto Clissold Park and Finsbury Park where my luck with the dry weather ended and I got soaked in a 10 minute cloud burst, the wind has really picked up too resulting in some proper bike wrestling that made me reconsider my decision to be outside. Heading back homewards I passed the impressive cat and train hedge I'm sure I've posted before, but they always makes me smile cycling past them. No chairs needed to get up close to these big cats.
IMG_20161117_151259_zpsz3ptr7du.jpg

IMG_20161117_151346_zpssf4idi0y.jpg

Typically enough as I'm getting towards home the weather has cleared up as the blue skies behind this old clock show
IMG_20161117_153626_zpsggnr2eyv.jpg

..... but there's two cream donuts in my fridge that succeed in luring me home.

2 words- Thank you.

https://www.strava.com/activities/779988719/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1479577957

A freezing start today, I was double gloved and wrapped up like an Eskimo, and I still felt it:cold:.

I rode up to Basinggrad and back.

IMG_3694.JPG

A lovely crisp morning.

IMG_3697.JPG

Refuel stop.

IMG_3701.JPG

A fantastic idea for keeping my bike safe, a cage with a decent padlock on it.

IMG_3703.JPG

The weather started closing in on the way back.

IMG_3705.JPG

Ohh, I say :eek:

IMG_3710.JPG

Winchester looking festive

Then the weather let go spectacularly. The last 10 miles was fun:eek:

90 odd miles done. Not a bad day all in:bicycle::thumbsup:

https://www.relive.cc/view/779988719

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Woke up with the intention of getting out early on the bike, but the radio was reporting lots of icy patches around and I opened the curtains to see a very heavy frost.

Delayed things for a couple of hours and set off about 10:30 instead. There were still icy patches where the sun hadn't got to and so it was a gingerly start through the estate and along the old railway track bed, up the cycle paths to Heathgates and then the old canal path to Uffington.

I was glad to get onto the roads to Upton Magna and then climbed up East Haughmond, with the intention of heading to Somerwood and Rodington. I arrived at a set of traffic lights and the road that I wanted to use was closed :thumbsdown: so I doubled back and took the narrower lane towards Withington. It was lovely sunshine when I set off, but I could see a big shower over towards Church Stretton and hoped I wouldn't get wet.......

After passing back through Upton Magna and being overtaken by a Stan's Cycles group (too closely by one of them :thumbsdown:) it started to pour down at Berwick Wharf. I paused to don my waterproof and it got heavier and turned to icy hail :cold:. Not much fun along Atcham straight with the driving hail, but at least the normal close passes didn't occur for a change on the busy rat run, with all drivers giving me loads of room :thumbsup:

Thankfully the shower passed through and I paused on Atcham Bridge for a chocolate bar, before climbing up to Betton Abbots and then along the A458 and through the estate home.

19.2 miles
Where in Shropshire do you live GavGave, were just buy ing a house on the beetween Ludlow and Leominster.

galaxy

Veteran
After 2 days spent away with work which involved too much food, cake & drink with no exercise, I figured I'd best get out and burn some of it off this morning. Slightly late out due to a frost, but with a couple of hours pass out I was soon on my way. First time this year for the Roubaix longs, and managed to get the clothes right today. Started with a usual route out towards Chobham, and was keen to avoid the A30 as the M3 is closed for 3 days to remove a bridge which used to be on my regular route. Tried some new roads out Lightwater way and got lost, likewise out the other side of Ascot. On the plus side found some really nice roads for future riding. Not often I stop for photos, but this is one that you won't see often, a very empty M25/M3 junction.
View attachment 151699

36.6 miles, the longest I've managed for a couple of weeks.
Everywhere is coming to a standstill with the Motorway closed

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
First time out for the wet bike this Winter. Gave it a quick once over and thought I'd better go for a pedal, so just over 10 miles, initially in rain, but stopped quickly and then just the wind to contend with.
Met Office suggests I'm going to get rained on during the commute tomorrow:rain::rain:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I am sitting here shivering as I write this report, waiting for the booster to kick in enough for me to run a nice hot bath. Only ten people braved the weather this morning for the Kingsway CC ride. (I think @Dark46 must have gone into hibernation since I saw him at the Christmas market in Gloucester docks yesterday!) Three set off in the Fast Group, and (I thought) five of us started the Intermediate ride, which was planned to be quite hilly. At the first left turn, Darren and I discovered that everyone else (including @Frazzle) had gone straight on, opting for the flatter, shorter, Beginners Group ride today! Who can blame them?

We cut out a couple of the hills, but still did a decent thirtyish mile clockwise loop out of Gloucester, climbing Nut Hill out of Upton St Leonards, followed by another gentle climb through Buckholt Woods and a long sweeping descent down the Slad Valley. It was only 0.5 degrees at the top, with almost freezing fog. The descent was a little precarious, with thick swathes of wet, rotting leaves all over the roads. Once we got to Slad we opted to cut out a couple of small hilly loops and head straight for the big climbs up through Ruscombe and Whiteshill to Edge. Once we got back to Kingsway, I took the long way home, via the Pilot Inn at the canal bridge, and a short stretch of the riverbank by Severn Farm. Bumped into @gordyfinbar just past the Pilot. I think both of us were well on the way to coming down with frostbite or trenchfoot at the time, so we didn't stop for long.

34 miles for me today, leaving me just 7.8 miles short of my biggest ever year's total mileage, and well within reach of my first ever 3,000 mile year. I always find December the toughest month. In January and February it is at least as cold, (if not colder), but I always have a target in mind and don't want to slip behind schedule, so I am motivated. By December I always feel I'm on the finishing straight, and it is difficult to keep my motivation going and to avoid coasting. I will do 3,000 miles this year ... I will.
Cheers, Donger.

13 rider

Guru
Forecast for today was dreadful so had not planned a ride. Got up to dreary overcast conditions but not the heavy rain . So pottered about till 11.00 looking out to see if it's going to clear weather app said rain till 1400 . I decided to take the chance . No plan but though I stay close to home so I could bail if it turned nasty . Through Newtown Linford ulverscoft lane and up Pollybotts lane continued the climbing up Whitcroft lane and up to Copt Oak and turned for Whitwick and the climbed again up to St Bernards Abbey at this point the rain jacket came out my pocket as to began to rain a bit heavier probably could have managed without the jacket but why risk it .On to Belton down the descent of swanimote road around the back of Shepshed and onto Charley Rd .back to Beacon crossroads stopped to remove the rain jacket as it began to clear and it's a bit sweaty checked the milage and realised a metric half century on . So down the Beacon wheeeeee into Quorn then picked up my commuting route home ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston ,Anstey . 33.5 miles in the bag slightly damp feet as I didn't bother with overshoes mistake . Warmed up with a bowl of soup and mug of coffee . Just need to clean the bike it's a bit dirty !! . Still plenty of riders out so I not the only madman

Last edited:
https://www.strava.com/activities/780809292/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1479650988

Just a short one this morning, to shake the legs out after yesterday's efforts.

I had the smug face on as I passed a ( minor in size major in result ) pile up, in the city centre, which was causing traffic Armageddon, and I got the bike all locked up, without having to do battle with the car park lottery. That made braving the weather worthwhile alone.

IMG_3712.JPG

This is a Brewdog special called "black Oktober" it's lovely, and a mere 9% abv.:blink:

https://www.relive.cc/view/780809292

@13 rider, always liked that Swanimote Road drop. It's a nice climb in the other direction too!

My ride yesterday was unremarkable in many ways as I struggled for energy, warmth and motivation. To that end, I was disappointed afterwards to find I'd not noticed @13 rider near his house!! Still, I took in a clockwise loop from Loughborough, through Anstey and to Market Bosworth. I always find it interesting doing roads from the other direction and realise this often means unplanned shallow uphill ramps!

From Market Bosworth (with a little chain trouble!), I headed north to Heather and along a lovely road (I imagine at least if there was no headwind!) to Ashby. From there, a nice climb and drop to Ticknall and back onto the commute route through Melbourne and Breedon to Beth's Kitchen. Decent sandwich and a lovely bit of carrot cake whilst a friend rang me about the boring first half in the footy.

Following cake, I froze for about 5 miles and pootled home to register my 100km ride for the month. All in all a nice ride but one that reminds me of the need to mend my torn winter tights!!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Second ride on the new to me Genesis cdf second time in the rain and wind !!

Started of unsure how far and long i was going to be out for due to the weather but pressed on and after about 5 miles i started to get the leaking over trouser feeling :sad: .

Carried on heading cross country towards Old and decided to head homewards via the second quickest route rather than going the longer route it was hard going across the promenade at Pitsford with the wind blowing straight across almost pushing me across the road .Thankfully turning right at Holcot lost the wind and next up was Moulton followed by Overstone ,Sywell ,Mears Ashby ,wilby and home .

Dark and damp when i left at 6.15 lighter and damp when i got home 90 mins later a nice ride either way shame about the leakage , bike rode well and continues to impress me a lot . Its sure footedness was a bonus today with slippery strewn leaves and big puddles a plenty .

Hopefully the next ride it will be dry so i can really enjoy the cdf

Top Bottom