Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
One you will repeat? Or is that it?
Never say never! As a venue where I could go easily (and relatively safely) and clock up a number of miles in the depths of the night - say between 10pm and 6am - it worked well. During daylight there are infinitely many better options.

A few times this year I've done rides which have included pit-stops at home. I'm extremely well-placed to do that sort of thing, close to the rugby ground in Gloucester, able to escape to open roads in a few minutes. So assembling 100-mile days from multiple rides and fitting them around other commitments is a real possibility. Having the night-time option could be a big help now and then.

D

Deleted member 1258

Hatton Locks the destination 32 miles the journey. A short but significant ride this morning, straight to the cafe, my first ride since my heart attack at the beginning of November. My pace has vanished in the month I've been off the bike, I've now got a top speed of 16-17mph and an average between 12 and 12.5mph. I was a bit nervous to start with but soon settled down and started to enjoy my ride. Its been a a dark dreary day and the lanes are covered in crap, it rained whilst we were in the cafe, but it was great to be out and about on the bike again.

13 rider

Guru
Hatton Locks the destination 32 miles the journey. A short but significant ride this morning, straight to the cafe, my first ride since my heart attack at the beginning of November. My pace has vanished in the month I've been off the bike, I've now got a top speed of 16-17mph and an average between 12 and 12.5mph. I was a bit nervous to start with but soon settled down and started to enjoy my ride. Its been a a dark dreary day and the lanes are covered in crap, it rained whilst we were in the cafe, but it was great to be out and about on the bike again.
Glad your back on the bike take it easy though

Mrs M

Guru
:thanks:
Well done :okay:
Take care xx

kapelmuur

Veteran
A short but significant ride today as during the course of it I passed 5000 miles for the year - this is the actual 5000 mile point.
20161215_104206.jpg
Just to the right of the bike is a chainsaw sculpture of an owl which would have made a more interesting picture, but a BT Openreach van was parked in front of it.
20161215_105613.jpg

A mile later I rewarded myself with coffee and cake at Barnshaw Smithy.

gavgav

Guru
Great news @dave r

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well done, @dave r . That takes some courage. Nice to have you back, but hope you don't overdo it.

galaxy

Veteran
It was a lovely winter's morning as Mrs 26 and I set out for the Suckley Hills. The early mists were lying over the landscape as we rode. On some of the crests we popped out of the thin mists as the sun got to work. We turned for Linley Green and were told that the road may be closed at the old railway bridge. We risked it anyway and whilst the barriers were there the two workmen were very happy for us to pass. Indeed we stopped to chat to one worker who explained what was going on.

Next came Gaines Lane which is a lovely ride. It was even better today as the lane, which had been quite rough, was resurfaced and was a joy to ride. Wonderful. At Whitborne we decided to take to the Tedstone Delamere climb. But again the road was closed. This time the works were at the side of the lane so we easily passed through. The steep section of this climb is quite tough so Mrs 26 engaged her 12" gear (that's a foot folks). Up here it is a lovely spot with views and Ravens and Buzzards calling. Now it wasn't far to the cafe at Edwyn Ralph. It was a first visit to this cafe for us. It's been there for about 3 years but somehow we'd never stopped. Definitely a spot for refreshments in the future.

After the biggest mince pie I have ever eaten had gone we dropped away into Bromyard for the run along the Frome valley. This is quite a roller coaster of ups and downs and with legs tiring Mrs 26 used that gear again on the steepest lump. We turned to climb (with Mrs 26's gear being used again) to Acton Green where we were able to drop down into the Leigh Brook valley. Now it was encouragement time from me to keep Mrs 26 going. Not far now was the truth as we rounded by Newland for the final few miles home.

Now that was a very excellent ride. Lots of climbs with my favourite ride buddy and in some superb quiet countryside. Mrs 26 excelled herself for sure. 45 smiles today. I don't dare tell Mrs 26 how much climbing.:B)
Were moving too Middleton on the Hill, not far Bromyard, if your out that way once were there ypu can always pop in for a cuppa.

Old jon

Guru
That really was a proper ride. Little to do with distance, 26.8 miles, or climbing, 1400 feet, but everything to do with the bike. I put the new wheels on 500 miles ago and did not get the gear indexing set right. So I have been stopping, tweaking, wrong again ad infinitum. Yesterday I put the bike on the stand, indoors and spent a bit of time getting it right, from unclamping the cable onwards. Riding is so much more fun when the bike is right.

The only way to reach the towpath at Office Lock is to ride across Hol Beck. Even in my young days it was culverted, so riding across is not as wet as it sounds. Leave the towpath at Viaduct Road, and start going up. All through Headingley, along towards Lawnswood, turn left for more climbing past the water tower at Cookridge. A short respite before turning left to aim at Otley, around the hilly back of the airport and a big drop down the Chevin.

Big grin to match the descent, turn right at the bottom to start regaining all the height. Oh well, pedal away. Once past the Dyneley Arms just about all the uphill is done, the legs were happy about that. The A 660 all the way, Headingley was silly busy, turn right, down to Kirkstall and the towpath removes all that queuing stuff. Ride through one tiny bit of Hunslet and I am pointing at home. Brilliant!

Sorry folks, the map insists . . .

16122016.jpg

A shortie today
My photos, are from previous journies, not taken today

Through Castleford, out along the Barnsdale Road, up 'Mary Pannall hill'
A right turn at the top onto Back Newton Lane, then through the dips, around the back of Ledston Hall
http://www.whelerfoundation.co.uk/the-estates/ledston-hall-and-gardens/
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/523337

A sweeping left hand junction & along Claypit Lane, to Ledsham, to enter the village by the Chequers Inn (once famous for only having a 6 day licence, & being closed on a Sunday)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1594613

Opposite Chequers, it was a sharp turn onto the ascent of New Road, trying not to slither too much on the greasy surface
This is normally a 'big-ring/middle of the block' climb, but not today:blush:

Digressing, Ledsham is a lovely village, with some gorgeous buildings;
- the old school-house
- The Orphanage (3rd pic)
The Church combines very visible, Saxon, Norman, & Victorian stonework

North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. All Saints  Church. 1.JPG North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. All Saints Church. 2.JPG North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. Lady Betty Hastings Orphange.JPG

Once at the top of New Lane, having passed the entrance to the old Hunting Lodge, for Ledston Hall, it was a date with the 'old' A1

Having just passed under it, I punctured, so it was a few minutes getting coated with road-filth, whilst changing it

South-bound on the 'old' A1 ('Great North Road'), Selby Fork was passed
It was quite literally that, at one point' a fork in the road - now the Selby sector is just a service road for the Motel that's there

Into Fairburn, still along the 'GNR', & we enter that village, at the point the 'GNR' became the village street
As seen here, pre dual-carriageway, the 'GNR' ran by the houses http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/20678

A drop down Caudle Hill, past the Lock-up; http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2695319

Back past the RSPB centre, near the junction of Newton Lane, & Back Newton Lane
Then, a trip through Castleford, & home

A short respite before turning left to aim at Otley, around the hilly back of the airport and a big drop down the Chevin.

Big grin to match the descent, turn right at the bottom to start regaining all the height. Oh well, pedal away. Once past the Dyneley Arms just about all the uphill is done, the legs were happy about that. The A 660 all the way, Headingley was silly busy, turn right, down to Kirkstall and the towpath removes all that queuing stuff. Ride through one tiny bit of Hunslet and I am pointing at home. Brilliant!

East Chevin is a hell of a fast descent (& even more of an upwards crawl!!)
It's where I recorded my fastest ever speed, about 20 years ago, on one of the old Avocet computers (so, more accurate than GPS?)
61 'point something' MPH:wacko:
Quite scary really, given the car-parks, & poor road surface

On the subject of Leeds Road, I still love that drag, from the eastern roundabout, up to the top of Old Poole Bank, and the Toll-House
For years, I wondered what when across the road, at that point, as there's what looked like bridge abutments
There was a quarry west of the road

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1137980

Leed. Bramhope. Old Poole Bank. Bridge.jpg

The view is quite glorious, to the north (left) as you ascend it, & quite 'big-ringable'

The only problem, now with Otley, is the demise of 'Dunnies'

Attachments

• North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. Road-Signs.JPG
    North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. Road-Signs.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sara P, Margaret P-R and I rode over the usual route for Longley Green. We took to the Acton Green climb to drop into the Frome valley. The little lanes took us across the Hereford road to get shaken about on a dreadful road surface. Thankfully the Canon Frome turn relieved of that discomfort and the speedy bit of tarmac at Stretton Grandison was a speedy joy. After Yarkhill we aimed at the Marcle Hills. But first my tyre went down. Dratted thorny hedge clippings. Now the climb from Prior's Frome tripped my back into a painful place. The ladies carried on as I struggled and then stopped for some relief. Eventually I crested the climb. The descent to the cafe at Trumpet was a welcome sight.

Sara headed off for home while Margaret and I decided to alter plans to avoid climbing the Malverns. So we took Baregains Lane for Leddington but took a wrong turning which was corrected close to the main Ledbury road. Soon we were on more normal lanes but time was getting on. Now Margaret's tyre went down. Another dratted thorn. Back in the saddle our lights went on as the gloom was not far off. We'd both had enough so took to the mainish road to get it done and finish before dark proper. It had been a lovely ride despite the difficulties. I'm now going to minimise climbs for a short while and ride carefully to allow the back problem to heal. 56 smiles

Last edited:
Top Bottom