Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Part one of a back to back double today.

77 odd miles up to Salisbury and back via Fordingbridge.

https://www.relive.cc/view/803859031

For the first time in ages, I got a nice clear run on the road to Downton from Alderbury. The road was covered in wet slippery mud, so I only got up to 40mph, before I decided pushing it any more would not have been a terribly bright idea:laugh:. A nice day's ride, and I got my Christmas shopping finished whilst I was at it, and I avoided 'parkageddon', and I didn't have to pay to park anywhere, so that's nice.

Last edited:

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Cracking morning in cotswolds

Attachments

• 20161217_090159.jpg
    20161217_090159.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 67

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another chapter in my attempts to regain some fitness before succumbing to the temptations of Christmas.

Up and out early today, before the sun was up so well wrapped up and fully lit up too. Up onto Coal Road, through the pointless temporary traffic lights and out to Red Hall Lane, before a brief scoot down the A58 to the pub where it was left onto Whin Moor Lane and away from the street lights so I was glad I'd got the decent light on the front. About three-quarters of a mile along there was a "Road Closed" sign and some cones scattered about. There had been no warning of this further up the lane and someone else had clearly moved the cones before I arrived, so I carried on. Eventually popped out into Shadwell village with nothing to say why the cones and sign were out, making me glad I'd pressed on rather than turning back.
Turned right here for the descent through the village all the way to Bay Horse Lane and the short sharp climb up back up to the A58 where a jogger was busy limbering up. A quick hello and I was across Wetherby Rd and onto Carr Lane for the up and down twisty run to Thorner.
About half way along at the high point of the lane I stopped for a photo:
IMG_20161217_075657023_edited.jpg

Down the hill into Thorner, stopping at the junction unnecessarily for a driver who hasn't figured out what indicators are, and then on past the church and onto Milner lane for that sharp climb up onto the ridge line and along all the way to Holme Field Lane and on to Rigton Green, before right and right gain onto Bramham Lane. Not impressed to note that the mud on here is even worse than last week, so full marks to the council for not appearing to take any action when I reported it 7 days ago. In fact the mud on the road was present for the full length of the lane right out to Jewitt Lane and the short climb up onto Thorner Lane. I'll report it again but I guess it's the time of year when I need to consider sticking to the "main" routes rather than these back lanes, even though it shouldn't be necessary - the tyre tracks in it suggest it's predominantly from farm vehicles and they have a responsibility to clear up after themselves.
Onto Thorner Lane and through the dip, powering up the other side and out onto Thorner Road and the quick run down to Bramham, where I turned right down the hill, climbing up the other side and where I stopped for another couple of photos as the sun came up and a quick drink:
IMG_20161217_083225083_edited.jpg

IMG_20161217_083313903_edited.jpg

Back in the saddle it was off down the ill-named Paradise Way all the way to Bramham Crossroads and onto Main Street for the long and mainly downhill run to Aberford.
Got a good lick on down here, but I was acutely aware that for a short distance I was cycling directly into the low sun on a road with a 60mph limit...well there was nothing for it but to get a wriggle on and keep checking behind me.
Down the final hill into the village unscathed and right again onto Cattle Lane for the lumpy ride to Barwick, with the inevitable drag up the hill from Cock Beck through the village and almost all the way to Scholes.
Encountered the only serious numpty driver of the day in the middle of Barwick on the narrow Main Street who was so eager to try and pass me that he tried overtaking when a car was coming the other way which forced him to stop just as he got level with my back wheel. The other driver exchanged a few choice words with him as they both stopped...he eventually passed me a few minutes later, nice and wide this time, but I was shocked to see he was towing a 4-wheel trailer behind his Discovery which was nearly as long again as his 4x4. Thank goodness he'd been forced to stop by the oncoming traffic previously, rather than squeezing past and then cutting in with that behind him!
Anyway, after that it was a steady slog to the top of the hill, then the descent down past the Coronation Tree and then Leeds Road before local roads to home.

21.5 miles (34.6km) in 1hr 38m at an average of 13.1mph and with 1,148ft climbed and a decidedly chilly average temperature of 0.9°C . I'll take that for today, although I really need to step things back up. I've got a few days off over Crimbo so hopefully I'll get a couple of decent rides in if the weather is kind.

I'd forgotten how good it is to get out as dawn is breaking, and despite the early hour there were still a fair number of other cyclists out and about.
17122016.JPG

Last edited:
Looks fun! But what an awful road surface. High piont for me was seeing how fast you barrelled over the 'Slow' signs. :whistle:
As stated by me, yes, it is a hell of a fast descent, if you're brave enough!!

Back in the saddle it was off down the ill-named Paradise Way all the way to Bramham Crossroads and onto Main Street for the long and mainly downhill run to Aberford.
Got a good lick on down here, but I was acutely aware that for a short distance I was cycling directly into the low sun on a road with a 60mph limit...well there was nothing for it but to get a wriggle on and keep checking behind me.
Down the final hill into the village unscathed and right again onto Cattle Lane for the lumpy ride to Barwick, with the inevitable drag up the hill from Cock Beck through the village and almost all the way to Scholes.
Bramham itself, pre, & post 'GNR' realignment
Bramham. 1.jpg Bramham. 2.jpg

I take it you know of these old cottages at 'Bramham Crossroads'??
Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. Spen Common Cottages. 2.JPG

And, that the road in front of them, is the old course of the 'GNR'

Not sure of the crossroads pic, I'd reckon pre-WW1?
Bramham. Bramham Crossroads 1. 1912.jpg
The roundabout picture, maybe mid 50's
CrossRoads Farm, was previously The White Hart, & still licenced into the 60's
My old 110 peeks into the 'Hart' picture

Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. 1950.jpg Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. White Hart. 2.JPG

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As stated by, yes, it is a hell of a fast descent, if you're brave enough!!

Bramham itself, pre, & post 'GNR' realignment
View attachment 154549 View attachment 154550

I take it you know of these old cottages at 'Bramham Crossroads'??
View attachment 154545

And, that the road in front of them, is the old course of the 'GNR'

Not sure of the crossroads pic, I'd reckon pre-WW1?
View attachment 154546
The roundabout picture, maybe mid 50's
CrossRoads Farm, was previously The White Hart, & still licenced into the 60's
My old 110 peeks into the 'Hart' picture

View attachment 154547 View attachment 154548

Yes I know those cottages and the old farm house well. The old GNR features a fair bit as I'm often out riding in the area, and we've got family out Ferrybridge way too.

Yes I know those cottages and the old farm house well. The old GNR features a fair bit as I'm often out riding in the area, and we've got family out Ferrybridge way too.

Ahh, the 'GNR', one of my pet interests

These albums should be available, without even being registered, if they are of interest???

100 images; https://www.facebook.com/richard.a....0206985822756312.1073741863.1601508436&type=3
Still in progress; https://www.facebook.com/richard.a....0207043223551296.1073741864.1601508436&type=3

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Despite yesterday's back problems I decide to join Jose B, Sara P, Rich B and Steve E on the social ride. My plan was to take it easy on any hills we may encounter. The back didn't feel too bad but it "was there". Let's see how it goes.

We took to the standard Castlemorton run but deviated by Longdon Marsh for Forthampton. A group joined in and chat was exchanged. Apparently I was known to one rider but I didn't know him. Fame at last!!! Down the Hams took us to the climb over Wickridge Street. Time to put operation "easy back" into motion. I got away with it but 3 got a big lead as I stayed with Rich. They missed a turn but no big deal as they corrected at the next one. As we rolled into the cafe at Staunton a big group of riders were departing. It was the Cheltenham club and they numbered 60!! Hope you've left some cake was the concern.

The ladies in the cafe were worried that we were more than 5. We reassured them before ordering and enjoyed our refreshments soon after. Rich wanted to go by Eldersfield so we headed off for Corse Lawn to turn for the village. Then we joined the run back from Gadfield Elm with my back strategy being a little forgotten when Jose sped off up over the final hills onto the common. I remembered on the second hill and let him go (well I'm sticking to that story).

Nice outing with my pals today. It tops off a fairly active mileage week for me. Now it's the ease down to the Christmas celebrations and far too much to eat. Oh and my back survived. 44 smiles

Diggs

Veteran
Very foggy this morning and it didn't lift. Nice to be part of the LBS social ride as it would have been so easy to head back to bed. I won't say I saw much of the countrysid and it felt a bit heavy going at times but felt good as four of us hammered along to catch the group after a problem with my cleat.
Just over 30 miles and cake back at the shop

tmp_21058-17th fog1226972424.jpg

Top Bottom