Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I am contemplating attempting 100 centuries (in miles) next year. .... There is a stretch of dual carriageway (part of the A40) a couple of miles from my house, about 1.6 miles in length with roundabouts at each end. These are at Over and Highnam, very familiar I'm sure to anyone local, and neither has any pesky traffic lights to get in the way. The stretch is well lit for its full length, as is my route to and from the eastern end. There are usable cycle tracks on both sides, although I didn't use the southern one today.

Sounds like a monumental challenge, and fair play to you for even considering it. I wish you well. Definitely not my idea of safe though, particularly not during times of heavy traffic. The raised cycle path on the South side is OK, but getting back out onto the road near the Highnam roundabout can be tricky, with very few drops in the kerb and lots of traffic turning left. The roundabout itself is often approached at great speed by traffic in the fast lane heading straight on for Ross and probably not expecting to encounter cyclists on the other side of it. The shared cycle/bus lane on the North side is OK, though the traffic lights after Over Farm, when they catch you, seem timed to prevent you from sprinting across into the right lane for the Over roundabout. Our club rides often pass via Over roundabout, and it is the place I most dread, having witnessed some appalling driving there. Only recently some muppet in a BMW sped past me on my left while I had my arm out clearly indicating that I was about to pull over to the left myself. I would say the A38 South of Quedgeley and down to the Whitminster roundabout would be safer ... though obviously meaning a few repeats of Whitminster Hill.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was a bit grey as I set off but the rain had stopped. I made my way through by Madresfield to cross the busy A449 aiming for Bransford Bridge. Across the Teme I found that the lane to Broadheath was well and truly barriered off. Why can't these small road works leave space for pedestrians to pass? So I was forced onto the busy A44 where a collision with a car would be much more serious than a slight trip getting around the road works. Does Health and Safety work I wonder? Anyway with the addition of 3 miles due to the diversion I did make it back into the lanes and was soon drawing up at The Mayfly where the meet was arranged. My extra 3 miles meant I was just in time if not slightly late. Everyone was still there so no worries.

Bill D lead us back towards Tinkers Cross where we turned for The Admiral Rodney and a bit of a pull into the low cloud to top out on Ankerdine Hill. Now a swoosh down took us to The Teme where a chap asked us about a cycle route he was going to attempt. It looked a lovely route on his phone but I think he may find the navigation challenging as he clearly was asking about signage. There is no signage of the type we wanted. We left him to it to climb over the lump to Suckley for Longley Green and up and over by Alfrick Pound to The Fox and Hounds at Lulsley. Here others had and were arriving (including Mrs 26) for our Christmas Festivities. There was lots of chat with old faces and new during our meal. Lovely turkey and all the necessaries went down very nicely thank you.

Time was getting on as folks began to depart. I joined Ralph R and June P for the ride back. It was good to chat with these two as I hadn't had a chance earlier. Darkness was descending as was some light rain. "Get you home lights" went on as we parted in Leigh Sinton. Just a few more miles in the gloom for me before putting the kettle on to toast a lovely social day out. It's not always about the bike! 41 smiles on this one and probably more calories consumed than left on the road. Well it is Christmas (nearly).

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sounds like a monumental challenge, and fair play to you for even considering it. I wish you well. Definitely not my idea of safe though, particularly not during times of heavy traffic. The raised cycle path on the South side is OK, but getting back out onto the road near the Highnam roundabout can be tricky, with very few drops in the kerb and lots of traffic turning left. The roundabout itself is often approached at great speed by traffic in the fast lane heading straight on for Ross and probably not expecting to encounter cyclists on the other side of it. The shared cycle/bus lane on the North side is OK, though the traffic lights after Over Farm, when they catch you, seem timed to prevent you from sprinting across into the right lane for the Over roundabout. Our club rides often pass via Over roundabout, and it is the place I most dread, having witnessed some appalling driving there. Only recently some muppet in a BMW sped past me on my left while I had my arm out clearly indicating that I was about to pull over to the left myself. I would say the A38 South of Quedgeley and down to the Whitminster roundabout would be safer ... though obviously meaning a few repeats of Whitminster Hill.

Yep - I know that bit of road and I wouldn't go near it. Occasionally I use the Over roundabout if I'm heading for the lanes east of the Severn. It is a dread place for sure.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today's ride today!
After finishing w*rk at a reasonable 01:00 ish, I had the alarm set from 07:30 to get ready for a ride with several mates this morning ( I could have had another hur in bed but the plan changed slightly and I'd fettled the Full Sus to perfection but got a text yesterday evening saying that it was going to be a CX kind of day.. Oh well, so it goes.

On the way to our meeting point, The Windhover, I saw that the local farm shop had sticks of sprouts for sale.
Not a problem, thought I! I can strap them under the elastic cord on my backpack.

Anyway, we met as planned, but with one small addition. One chap brought his firstborn child in a trailer as he'd been booked for babysitting this morning. We started heading towards Pitsford Res for a coffee just as it started piddling down.

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

Up the hill into Brixworth.. Dev, still in the lead..

We'd seen the forecast though and were all waterproofed and sealskinzed, with the trailer zipped tight up as well.

Dev headed home from here as little'un was needing lunch and sorting out. The rest of us did a circuit and then aimed of the Moulton village where we went our separate ways.

IMG_0245.JPG

But not before I'd checked the sprouts were still secured properly :laugh:

Back home on 30 miles. Some of them in drizzle, some in heavier rain, some just muddy, but all of them great fun!

https://www.strava.com/activities/801263042

:smile:

Old jon

Guru
Well, the sun was shining, the bird bath was not frozen. Had to go out. Roads still a bit damp here and there, but thirty one point six miles later the bike was pretty clean by my ( admittedly low ) standards. Better start from the top.

Find my way around the Holbeck Triangle, and out through Hunslet and Stourton for the climb to John o’ Gaunts. That proved the lungs still worked. Whizz through Woodlesford, the bike was going well, and across the waterways for the ups and downs through Swillington. Almost inevitably, Garforth and its cliff, still quite a climb, and along the A 63 through Peckfield Bar to the Micklefield turnoff. The early ( as in before the exertion started ) intention had been to ride through Sherburn, but time was marching faster than I was riding. A familiar ride all the way then. Micklefield, Lotherton Gates and Aberford, bumps and lumps and along to Barwick.

Scholes, a bit of A 64, Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes, the joyous, cor this is quick of Boot Hill, oh, one car bound curmudgeon informing me I should wear a helmet, Oakwood Clock, through Roundhay and home. Great start to the day.
The map. Have to use the amazing toy.

14122016.jpg

And, my Garmin thing is a day slow. Wonder why?

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Fancied a longer ride on Sunday. Forecast was cool, overcast and a bit windy (haha...more of that wind later)

Plan was 100km and for a distance like that I always worry a bit about going too fast early on and really paying towards the end. So it's a matter of knocking back the effort. Trouble is I'm out of the front door and....bang...straight into a big climb, down the other side....then a big climb, down the other side....then a big climb. Out via Chunal, Chapel en le Frith, Buxton, Longnor, Hulme End, back to Longnor via a different road, Buxton, Whaley Bridge, Glossop

Very few cyclists out despite it being a Sunday. I think most with any sense leave the Peaks behind and tootle around Cheshire in the winter. Got back to Longnor and popped into a café. Upgraded my hot chocolate to "luxury" and a whopping slice of ginger cake

View attachment 154115

Back outside and went to the church to look at the display on a Longnor resident who was a Telemark war hero...this was @Tail End Charlie recommendation. The church was shut unfortunately

Then the purgatory started. I'd already done about 60 very hilly km and the wind was picking up. The next 20 km to Whaley Bridge were into a blasting headwind. I don't mind hills. In fact I enjoy the sense of satisfaction in beating them. But headwinds? No, hate them. They make me want to get off the bike and throw it in the ditch. Plus spending ages hunched over the handlebars was making my back ache

Mercifully the wind eased and the run back to Glossop was just an issue of mounting fatigue. Made it home, 1,950m of climbing. My Garmin measures in miles so when I converted....it was 99.2km. But by then I was so knackered I couldn't get off the sofa, let alone do another 800m

I used to live in Hartington ....I know how tough the relentless up and down can be! Peak Epic long route awaits next year (before that there's the small matter of the Fred Whitton). Went the distance now I'm not gonna stop!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
One of the things to do this year was Newlands Corner. A couple of months back I managed to ride down it, so today I planned a route that would take me up it. Started a bit overcast and chilly, but by the time I got to Ripley it was sunny, so off with the winter gloves, on with the mitts. Cracking day for it. Got up Newlands okay, not going to set any records mind. Rather than knock my pipe out I opted for the @Donger approach of picking a nice cog (the lowest one) and just grinding my way up. Also went down the other side, meaning I had to come back up again! Slower decent down Newlands this time, topped out at 27mph as the roads were rather damp.
Home on just over 38 miles, so a few Eddingtons for the future.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Sadly not much of tgis is actually to do with a bike ride but...
Lieu day off today so just got to drop my wife off at work, pop into mums make sure she's ok, go shopping then bike ride, case out my hopefully 12 or 13 mile commute to work next year.
Fat chance :whistle:
Got to mums, she's quite poorly and a bit upset (she's 86). Spent some time to make sure she was OK, got a list of bits for her as well. Set off into town....gridlock. Detoured about 4 miles to take another main road in...gridlocked. Gave in and went home, washed the car and walked the dog. Went shopping...it was a bit mental. Pop back into mums, spend a bit more time with her, then home and put the shopping away.
Hmmmm...got dinner to prepare but only now got 2 hours and a bit before picking my wife up...Sod it, quick bike ride but got to make do with only half of my intended distance, so 15 miles total alongside the A1M on the old A1.
4 red kite , a few green woodpecker and various other birdlife.
Home made Chinese curry and rice for tea. :thumbsup:
Bike was filthy as well :thumbsdown:

Never happened as it was intended today but mums chirped up now :smile:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yep - I know that bit of road and I wouldn't go near it. Occasionally I use the Over roundabout if I'm heading for the lanes east of the Severn. It is a dread place for sure.
I was never going to be able to do a write up last night! This really is me, so evidently I lived.

I find that road absolutely fine as a route to and from the lands beyond. It was lovely until about 4am when things started to come to life; until then there had been more police cars than anything else - clearly they didn't think I looked suspicious. It was terrifying at 9pm and gradually improved from 10 onwards. I used the southern track in the evening, hopping back onto the road at the farm entrance on the last bend and "sprinting" for the roundabout.

Yesterday afternoon every particle of common sense was telling me not to do the evening leg. So out I went. Some sort of obsessive perfectionism driving me to complete something of no importance whatsoever. On the ride I was firmly convinced I'd completely lost it and was promising to take a total break from all things cycling until the end of the year. I even thought about finishing on 99 miles to teach myself a lesson.

Today I got a nice message from the Strava Yearly Century Challenge Adminsitrator (I think it was intended to be nice anyway) and everything seems a lot saner. Amazingly, it now feels as though it was great fun.

One curiousity - because Over roundabout is on an island, sitting between the twin channels of the tidal river Severn, it could be argued that yesterday's ride included 62 island hops.

All finished off with a large hot toddy - nowadays very much the post-ride drink of choice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/801755283

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I was never going to be able to do a write up last night! This really is me, so evidently I lived.

I find that road absolutely fine as a route to and from the lands beyond. It was lovely until about 4am when things started to come to life; until then there had been more police cars than anything else - clearly they didn't think I looked suspicious. It was terrifying at 9pm and gradually improved from 10 onwards. I used the southern track in the evening, hopping back onto the road at the farm entrance on the last bend and "sprinting" for the roundabout.

Yesterday afternoon every particle of common sense was telling me not to do the evening leg. So out I went. Some sort of obsessive perfectionism driving me to complete something of no importance whatsoever. On the ride I was firmly convinced I'd completely lost it and was promising to take a total break from all things cycling until the end of the year. I even thought about finishing on 99 miles to teach myself a lesson.

Today I got a nice message from the Strava Yearly Century Challenge Adminsitrator (I think it was intended to be nice anyway) and everything seems a lot saner. Amazingly, it now feels as though it was great fun.

One curiousity - because Over roundabout is on an island, sitting between the twin channels of the tidal river Severn, it could be argued that yesterday's ride included 62 island hops.

All finished off with a large hot toddy - nowadays very much the post-ride drink of choice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/801755283
Well done for sure. Hadn't realised you were doing that through the night. Quiet indeed. Most of my dealings with that bit of road are in daylight/"sociable hours". How did you deal with the repetitive nature of the route? :unsure:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was a lovely winter's morning as Mrs 26 and I set out for the Suckley Hills. The early mists were lying over the landscape as we rode. On some of the crests we popped out of the thin mists as the sun got to work. We turned for Linley Green and were told that the road may be closed at the old railway bridge. We risked it anyway and whilst the barriers were there the two workmen were very happy for us to pass. Indeed we stopped to chat to one worker who explained what was going on.

Next came Gaines Lane which is a lovely ride. It was even better today as the lane, which had been quite rough, was resurfaced and was a joy to ride. Wonderful. At Whitborne we decided to take to the Tedstone Delamere climb. But again the road was closed. This time the works were at the side of the lane so we easily passed through. The steep section of this climb is quite tough so Mrs 26 engaged her 12" gear (that's a foot folks). Up here it is a lovely spot with views and Ravens and Buzzards calling. Now it wasn't far to the cafe at Edwyn Ralph. It was a first visit to this cafe for us. It's been there for about 3 years but somehow we'd never stopped. Definitely a spot for refreshments in the future.

After the biggest mince pie I have ever eaten had gone we dropped away into Bromyard for the run along the Frome valley. This is quite a roller coaster of ups and downs and with legs tiring Mrs 26 used that gear again on the steepest lump. We turned to climb (with Mrs 26's gear being used again) to Acton Green where we were able to drop down into the Leigh Brook valley. Now it was encouragement time from me to keep Mrs 26 going. Not far now was the truth as we rounded by Newland for the final few miles home.

Now that was a very excellent ride. Lots of climbs with my favourite ride buddy and in some superb quiet countryside. Mrs 26 excelled herself for sure. 45 smiles today. I don't dare tell Mrs 26 how much climbing.:B)

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done for sure. Hadn't realised you were doing that through the night. Quiet indeed. Most of my dealings with that bit of road are in daylight/"sociable hours". How did you deal with the repetitive nature of the route? :unsure:
At 3.2 miles I found the circuit was short enough that the next +1 moment never seemed far away. That helped a lot. Also, once I'd passed the Newent junction on the eastbound side I knew I'd have the bus lane completely to myself for the next mile. There I could relax completely, even in the evening session, so I always had that bit to look forward to. I was always careful not to trigger the bus lane traffic light - no wish to enrage anyone on a deserted road at 3am.

On the minus side, at the end of the morning session of 21 laps, the remaining 8 didn't seem a big deal. They looked much more of an obstacle when I started again, and it seemed an awfully long time before the scales tipped back in my favour.

Most of my rides are normal! This was very much an experiment.

Top Bottom