Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having plans for this afternoon I took the chance to get out for a shortish ride this morning - into Shrewsbury and through The Quarry then Uffington, Upton Magna, Atcham, Berrington, Boreton, Condover and over Lyth Hill.

It was frosty first thing and there were also patches of mist and fog about so generally feeling pretty chilly so I wrapped up warm and as a precaution swapped wheels for the set with Marathon Winters on.

Reaching The Quarry there was low lying mist around which gave a nice atmospheric look all along the riverside section of the ride. The path to Uffington was clean as all the mud was frozen and the lane to Upton Magna was quiet (I passed one car).

These are roads I use a lot for commuting so at Atcham I varied the route home by taking the road to Cross Houses then the lane to Boreton which I haven't ridden for quite a while. The spiked tyres earned their keep along this section which had a few patches of ice on it.

Lyth Hill was hidden in fog as I approached it yet the top of the climb was clear. I wondered if I'd climb above the fog layer but sadly it was only a clear patch so no views to be seen.

21.2 miles for this trip at 12 mph average which brings my total for the year so far to exactly 6000 miles.:hyper: All being well I plan to get out another couple of times before the year end.

Sitting here writing this the fog has rolled in again. Glad I was back before that.

DSC0004179.jpg

The River Severn and The Quarry from Porthill Bridge.

DSC0004181.jpg

Looking across The Quarry to St. Chad's

DSC0004186.jpg

Kingsland Bridge in the mist.

DSC0004188.jpg

A bit further along the river now with the railway station bridge in the background and the new development on the old Gay Meadow to the right.

DSC0004190.jpg

Out into the frosty countryside and looking at Cronkhill House near Atcham.

dim

1st ride since the 24th .... rode 100km on the 24th, and woke up on Christmas morning with Bronchitis .... still coughing and wheezing with a snot nose but had to go to work today (short ride... 10km)

I was really looking forward to trying to complete the Rapha 500 challenge, but I will have to try again next year .... I'm also still 142km short of getting the December distance challenge badge on Strava .... I'm not sure if I will get that either :sad:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got up to a very frosty morning, but I needed to get some more miles on the board for this damn Rapha 500 so out with the ice bike. The plan was to do 50 miles but as always I do a bit more, 66 miles in total and now only another 83 to finish the challenge.

Saw a few people out on road bikes, bloody nutters, the main roads were okay but any side roads were not and some of the country lanes I went down would not have been rideable without the spikes. Glorious sunshine all the way around and hardly any wind, the forecast said it wouldn't get above three degrees but I was warm all the way around the ride. Even stopped in Watermead Park for a drink and a bit of food.

Very short ride planned early tomorrow morning as I've got family coming down and then back to work on Friday, which fingers crossed the commuting will see me very close to the finish line for the Rapha 500.

https://www.strava.com/activities/813740639

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A rare group ride with my Dad's mob of retired age+ 'West Thames Wheelers 2'. 7 of us today, and since I'd done 6 miles to warm up before the meeting place, I led the way out of Staines, then towpath to Runneymede before heading up Egham Hill before angling off and into the Bishopsgate entrance to Windsor Great Park. The park looked fab in the mist, and I led the group on a slightly different route round to the Post Office for coffee. On arrival it was found shut, so off back to Savill Gardens which was very busy, but the café was quiet enough. After warming up it was back via Englefield Green and home. 20.5 miles, very enjoyable with a great group of people.
A quick pedal up the high street after lunch for new trainers, the traffic was terrible, huge queues to the carparks, people I passed in the line were still waiting after I'd done my shopping and was on the way home..
Might get one more ride in before the New Year

Okay. more of a commute, than a ride out

But.... tonights ride home from work @ 22:30, was a bit interesting, with the extremely patchy fog
As I exited the building, it was maybe 20 yards visibility on the Ambulance apron, but by the top of the grounds, up to about 70 yards

On the way along Ferry Lane, by the river (Calder) & the canal (Aire & Calder Navigation), it was again back to about 10yards, & the moisture was freezing on my beard!

DRM

Guru
Agggh no I don't think I could take two more rounds of it, hopefully this current cold snap will go some way to killing off these viruses.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Rode the Boxing Day 10m TT organised by Severn Road Club.

A nice bright morning & fairly light winds meant good conditions for this annual friendly event which runs from Iron Acton to Cromhall & back.

IMG_2621.JPG

It was my first TT for over a year & crikey was I struggling with lack of practise & over indulgence on the previous day.

The undulating UC102 course is always a challenge I rode it in 28:57 finishing 15th out of 23.

The winners time was 24:53 !

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'd had a piece of paper sat in my wallet for over a week, a cyclescheme voucher! First port of call today was to Grafham Water to go and spend my voucher. I bought a Scott hardtail MTB.

I got home, had some food, put some pedals on it, got changed and went out like a shot. In hindsight some chamois cream may have been good too, but never mind! Haste is great.

Out of the village, past the pub and on to the bridleway. Within seconds my nice, shiny bike was sh1t high, some bits of the track still frozen, some squidgy. There were some interesting slidey, sideways moments in the deeper mud and some craziness in deep, frozen ruts. Out the other side and I took a pic of the bike next to a phone box for the photo comp.

Down into Caldecote, along the road to Bourn and then hopping off to take the track to the Red House. More crunchy fun. I saw some pheasants and Bullfinches down here. Before crossing the A1198 I took a pic of my new toy

IMG_1655.JPG

Over the road, breaking thick ice in deep (deeper than I thought) puddles.
Along the back of Hayley Wood, before losing the signs for the bridleway. I ended up going through the maggot farm again... oops!

I went round the back of Longstowe then up through Bourn village, taking the turn at The Drift for more slippery fun back to Caldecote.

IMG_1659.JPG

I then took the bridleway back to Hardwick, this time being chased by a little white rat dog. It gave up in the end.

Back home, just over 20 miles. Hose out, bike washed, screwdriver found to remove those orange things from the wheels. A good ride!

https://www.strava.com/activities/814743805

13 rider

Guru
Was planning a ride this morning but got up to a white over proper frost so plans delayed . Generally Pottered about but mojo was waining finally forced myself after lunch .Decided to be out for an hour . Just stuck to mainly commuting route out to stay on the busy roads . Out to Quorn and headed home via Woodhouse and onto the quieter lanes which were approached with care as some of the road was still in the shade and still frosty. Through Swithland round the back of Bradgate took a look at Warren hill and thought nah another day so straight on to the crossroads and left and then right at Old John and down into Newtown Linford the park was crazy busy so cars parked everywhere . Home with 19.7 miles in the bag a chilly ride in glorious winter sun :sun:loads of riders out today

Gareth C

Veteran
Having the festive season fully booked as holiday, and a fat bike to ride, I figured it was time for one more trip this year to High Cup Nick - just a there-and-back given the short days.

dscf1980.jpg

The cold snap, and a brisk cold westerly conspired to make it a little more challenging. The peat bogs were frozen-over (good), but the paths were also liberally coated with large ice patches (less good). All the way out I was battling the wind.

dscf1985.jpg

Once at High Cup, the wind was so cold there was just time for a photo, a small cake from the rucksack, and then time to head back to the car (this time wind-assisted).

I had passed earlier, and then met for a chat on the way back, a group of three guys hiking out to High Cup. They were full of expectation, having seen the walk on a Julia Bradbury programme a week ago. My first visit here was in 1987, and it is still spectacular. I hope they enjoyed it too!

Attachments

• dscf1980.jpg
    dscf1980.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 43
  • dscf1985.jpg
    dscf1985.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 47

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another little trip out this afternoon. Following thick, freezing fog overnight that cleared in the early hours, everywhere had a liberal covering of hoar frost this morning. Despite waiting 'til after lunch to see if it would clear there was still plenty where the sun hadn't got to it and the thermometer by the back door was still hovering around zero but I went for it regardless.

The route today was over Lyth Hill, then Condover, Ryton, Longnor and up a lane I haven't been on for ages round the back of The Lawley to Chatwall then following the ridge past Broome to Church Preen, descending to Kenley and Acton Burnell before heading home through Pitchford, Condover and back over Lyth Hill.

The ice tyres were still on from yesterday and although the roads were mostly clear gave some nice reassurance on the white bits. After Condover I caught and overtook another rider on a road bike. He was headed to Church Stretton and back but clearly taking it easy because of the frosty conditions.

After Longnor it was onto the lesser travelled lanes. I'd intended to ride this way with Doug back in the summer but that didn't work out which was a pity. The lane round the back of The Lawley and through the hamlet of the same name has a couple of surprisingly challenging climbs and your reward is getting to see two small hidden valleys.

The third climb finishes at Chatwall Hall where I turned left and enjoyed the view and a nice descent. Being higher up there was more frost along these lanes as they undulate their way to Church Preen.

Not much to report for the rest of the trip home other than I enjoyed the ride, particlarly as I wasn't pressing on to get anywhere for a set time like many of my rides seem to be lately.

25.6 miles at a leisurely 11.4 mph average (it was a bit hilly).

DSC0004193.jpg

Blackhurst Farm in the shadow of The Lawley.

DSC0004194.jpg

The only car I saw on this section came past while I was trying to wind my way up the steepest climb.:rolleyes: Thought I might as well grab a photo as I was stopped anyway.

DSC0004197.jpg

Looking down the second of the two valleys from Chatwall.

DSC0004198.jpg

The view from the ridge near Broome.

DSC0004200.jpg

There was still quite a bit of frost about in places.

Last edited:
Top Bottom