Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
After 3 weeks off the bike, I managed 11 miles to make it exactly 100 rides in 1016 and to take the milage over 3300. I was pleased that I came back without coughing and sneezing but I was very tired. I have a lot of work to do to get fit enough for group rides.

Happy cycling in 2017 everyone!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I thought those cooling towers had been demolished..
Welcome back :hello:

Ta.

There were six of them, three were blown up about three years ago, and last year they demolished another building after it partially collapsed killing three people. I expect the remaining three will come down in the next year or so.

When I'm on a ride I often photograph the towers so that when they do come down I'll revisit and take pictures in the same location.

Google earth still shows the six towers. The three in my photo are at the top.
IMG_4635.PNG

The building that collapsed is the dark grey one to the right.

13 rider

Guru
Was contemplating a ride is morning and hoping weather forecast was wrong . Unfortunately the forecast was correct was long ride was put off . Had an errand to do so out with the hybrid and quick trip to sisters and back a grand total of 1.1 miles done in the rain .So only 5711.9 miles to go to beat 2016 total

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
With the waterproofs donned, I managed to get out for my traditional New Years Day ride. I'd have been disappointed if I'd been settee bound all day!
Mrs Pete seemed to think I was mad to go out in the pouring rain, but I patiently explained that it would be the best way to clear the muck out of the tread on the Rocket Rons from yesterdays ride. :okay:

IMG_0371.JPG

Not planning to be out for long, I headed over Overstone golf club then to Overtone village via Church Farm and then around Moulton and back home.

IMG_0379.JPG

The junction onto the A43 was a bit flooded, but not too busy.

Back home on 10 very moist miles, but the waterproofs did their job, and the bike was nice and clean and just needed drying and wiping over with a GT-85y cloth..

https://www.strava.com/activities/817678751

Happy New Year folks.

:smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After completing the metric half challenge last year, I've decided to have a go at the metric 100 this year. Good start to my year today, 63.3 miles (101.9km) completed in damp and dreary weather. All clothes covered in mud, in hindsight the wet bike would have been better. Sorry no pics but my phone won't work with my gloves on, and if you've ever tried to get into a wet wetsuit you'll understand why I don't take them off....

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Got up after a terrible nights sleep at the parents. Didn't drink last night so I was expecting to wake up feeling fresh and alert. Unfortunately I felt terrible. Waited a few hours before cycling home. The minute I got on the bike I felt really rough, then it started raining. The journey (which normally takes 15 minutes) took 45 minutes as I had to keep stopping. Total of about 2 miles, covered incredibly slowly.

GOAB

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Got up after a terrible nights sleep at the parents. Didn't drink last night so I was expecting to wake up feeling fresh and alert. Unfortunately I felt terrible. Waited a few hours before cycling home. The minute I got on the bike I felt really rough, then it started raining. The journey (which normally takes 15 minutes) took 45 minutes as I had to keep stopping. Total of about 2 miles, covered incredibly slowly.

GOAB
It goes like that sometimes.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Up and running in the Metric Century a Month Challenge, but got home feeling like a block of ice. It turns out my overshoes and my gloves are not waterproof..... Not a good thing on a day when the BBC (correctly) predicted "heavy rain" all day. Actually it did ease off a bit every now and again, but it was incessant, and even turned to snow momentarily while I was up the Malvern Hills. Prepare for some very wet looking scenes:
(1) The scenery turning Malverny in the rain:
1.JPG

(2) A very wet Upton on Severn (by which time I was regularly wringing the water out of my gloves every 5 minutes):
2 Upton.JPG

(3) A bit of shelter in the park in Great Malvern:
3 Great Malvern.JPG

(4) Sorry this does not convey just how cold and wet I was already feeling at the half way point:
4 Soaking wet.JPG

(5) After climbing up to West Malvern, I'd had ideas of filling my water bottle with Malvern spa water. No such luck .... inside there was a notice about a recent bacteriology test that had been failed, and all water had to be boiled before use. (Stopped for a coffee at British Camp instead):
5 Springwater Well, West Malvern.JPG

(6) Getting back down the Malverns towards Welland was interesting to say the least. Wet rims do not make for good stopping power (or in my case any stopping power whatsoever). When It started to snow I got the hell out of there fast. Changed my route entirely and ditched Ledbury, opting for the flatter and faster route through Upton again and then down the A38 to Tewkesbury:
6 Tewkesbury.JPG

You will notice it was still chucking it down. I was freezing by that point By the time I hit Gloucester I just wanted it all to be over ... but the local police had other ideas and stopped me riding up Kingsholm Road because of the rugby crowds, causing a half mile diversion that I would normally hardly notice, but which felt like the last straw today. Got home just over 6 hours after setting off, frozen like a block of ice and dripping wet. After a long, hot bath and a plate of bangers and mash, I'm now pleased I did it. 63.77 miles done (102.6km), so that's me up and running. When I set off this morning I thought I was being smart, avoiding the onset of winter, but seriously folks .... I don't recommend 100km rides in cold wet weather unless you know you can trust all of your kit. Keep warm, guys.
Cheers (and Happy New Year), Donger.

Top Bottom