Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

Had the lurgy since Xmas, it just won't clear, hacking cough, occasional headaches, occasional raised heart rate and weakness so the bike hasn't seen much action sadly. Still unwell but needed to go to the butchers maybe 1.5 miles away...was priming myself to get the car out...no, don't be lazy.
So a meander down on the hybrid and even that 3 miles left me puffing but a small battle was won.

Roll on when this virus clears up.

I woke up on Christmas day with bronchitis and I'm still suffering..... I tried a bit of high cadence today (I only managed to cycle 30km before I got a puncture and ended up getting a cab home) ....

I managed to cycle between 85-95 RPM on some sections, but I'm still coughing and wheezing ....

some of my clients have really bad colds at the moment that also affects the lungs

It will take a few more weeks before I'm fully recovered

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Today was the fortnightly mountain bike meet. About 10 of us bobbing around the local trail. It's on fairly flat ground but with some short steep climbs and a couple of drops. Some ok technical sections through the woods. Very muddy with frozen puddles and frozen tyre ruts which chucked the back wheel around a bit. Out for about 2 hours. A coffee in the cafe, wash the bike down and a change of clothes before heading home.

FB_IMG_1485016039851.jpg

First thing I'll say is this little climb is steeper than it looks. There I am almost there.

FB_IMG_1485016052849.jpg

Uh oh, rear wheel slips.

FB_IMG_1485016062055.jpg

Tiiiimbeeeerrrrr.

FB_IMG_1485016070924.jpg

Well saved son, make out it was an extreme wheelie.:rolleyes:

Mind you I wasn't the only one

FB_IMG_1485016165704.jpg

Jolly good muddy fun.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1485016070924.jpg
    FB_IMG_1485016070924.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
More cold and then the mists rolled in. I met Steve E and Jose B in the Green and Margaret P-R was waiting for us in Upton. A short route was the desire so Pershore got the nod. The standard run out by Strensham, Eckington and the Combertons took us to our refreshments in Pershore.

We took the shorter run back along Rebecca Road for Croome and the Kinnersley Bank climb. Not far now and we were seeing Margaret off for her home. The Brotheridge Green way back lead us to part with Steve at the lane end while Jose and I took the Guarlford run in.

Tough riding in the cold. The sun did come out again but the temps were dropping too as the sun was getting low in the sky. I think we made the most of it though. 40 smiles

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.

Jimidh

Veteran
IMG_6056.JPG
IMG_6062.JPG
IMG_6067.JPG
IMG_6069.JPG
Unfortunately I was working this morning as it was an absolutely stunning day for riding the bike even with the temperatures hovering around zero all day.

However me and my son had a quick 15 mile ride into the Pentland Hills. A beautiful afternoon pity the fog came down quickly on the way back home.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Intended an early start again today, but general idleness meant that I didn't get out until just before 9, with the intention to get a metric half in.
After last weeks abandoned ride due to the cold and ice, I was pleased to see that the frost that had been on the cars, etc when I went to bed last night had gone by this morning, although it was still blinking cold.
Local roads to start, where I had a MGIF nincompoop who overtook me at the top of the hill and then went down the whole hill with a foot on the brake rather than just getting out of the way...
Anyhow, I hadn't quite done a mile when I stopped to adjust my front brakes - a few minutes fettling and I was back on my way with a definite improvement in stopping power.
Up the hill to Scholes, passing a group of cyclists gathered at the Coronation Tree and carried on climbing up the hill, before the gentle descent into Barwick. I was regretting washing the bike after the last ride though as there had clearly been a bit of road grime in just the right place on the front mudguard stopping it rattling...
Right onto Long lane by the New Inn and the mainly downhill to Garforth, then up the A642 to the M1 roundabout and across towards Aberford. Down the hill and under the A1(M), past the wind farm at Hook Moor and Lotherton Hall and then the twisty downhill swoop to the Crooked Billet.
Just past there it's the sharp uphill grind into Saxton and on to Barkston Ash, before the long straight to Church Fenton and the obligatory loop around the airfield via Ryther, Ozendyke and Ulleskelf, where despite doing the best part of 17 mph I was passed like I wasn't moving by a mini peleton of serious looking types. :laugh: They all said hello though. ;)
Completed the loop around the airfield and retraced my outbound route from Church Fenton all the way to Saxton, where I turned up Coldhill Lane, eventually reaching Lindas Bench where I stopped for Haribo and a stretch:
IMG_20170121_104600327_BURST004.jpg
IMG_20170121_104622064_BURST002.jpg

Back in the saddle and on to Copley Lane and towards Lotherton Hall, before turning off for Aberford down the hill and back under the A1(M).
Through the village and then it's the ups and downs of Cattle Lane, crossing Cock Beck and the long uphill drag into and through Barwick and nearly all the way to Scholes, before the descent on Leeds Road and local roads to home.
33.55 miles (53.99km :rolleyes:) in 2h 22m at an average of 14.2mph with 1,374ft climbed and a chilly average temperature of 1.1°C :cold:

The bike should be able to do this route on it's own, but I'm still struggling for fitness so I'm happy just to get another qualifying ride in for Half Century challenge.

21012017.JPG

So I almost did it, 19.75 miles which is the longest ride I have ever done. 6 miles in I had a puncture and could not get the tyre back on, luckily my lovely Mr S came and helped me. At 12 miles I stopped at Mum and dads for a very welcome cup of tea. I am now safely at home waiting for my bum and thighs to warm up. I still can't quite believe I have cycled this far!

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/839494298/embed/3f1cf53d4d055f55ea6685b1c4771d1f55297b4f
Don't worry you'll be doing 100 miles in no time

iandg

Legendary Member
75.6km - My longest ride since September 2015 and my first 'Westside Loop' since June 2015.

On the road at 7.30am, crossed Barvas Moor wind assisted and in the dark. Started to get light at around 25-30km and turned into a cold 20+mph southerly (with 30+mph gusts) after Shawbost. Cross wind from Callanish over the Acha Mor climb (saw 3 Buzzards between Callanish and Leurbost), and a tailwind from Leurbost for the last 12km.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/838958454/embed/9a3c621625370e7a0d09596fb64f9dba29785709

16142545_10154943832292486_172861937374293246_n.jpg

Looking east - south east from Acha Mor

So I almost did it, 19.75 miles which is the longest ride I have ever done. 6 miles in I had a puncture and could not get the tyre back on, luckily my lovely Mr S came and helped me. At 12 miles I stopped at Mum and dads for a very welcome cup of tea. I am now safely at home waiting for my bum and thighs to warm up. I still can't quite believe I have cycled this far!

Well done you! :dance:

17 is as far as I've gone, so you're way ahead of me there. :notworthy: Hope you thaw out soon, feeling :cold: isn't much fun...

colly

Re member eR

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
An extended commute home this morning, a bit chilly at -3 degrees but no ice so plodded an 11 miles to keep on target. A minor moment of excitement on the ride in tonight, obviously forgot to zip up my pannier and work ID, cards, front door key etc clattered out on a 50mph bit of dual carriageway. :okay: to the foreign trucker who stopped to let me pull over an collect the bits. Phone missing but turns out I'd left it at home...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today was another 50 miler in a fairly compact area, mostly sticking to the back roads and on my Whyte Sussex due to the state of the roads. Bright & cold with a bit of an easterly wind and the temperatures dropping quickly as the sun went down towards the end of the ride. Following a suggestion from @Jon George I took a back lane around Rushmere that I'd never used before (Lamberts Lane) - it turned out to end in a really good bridleway of over a mile in length that came out at the top of Tuddenham Hill and was rather interesting given the soft conditions and the 28mm slick Gatorskins at 90psi on the bike!

https://www.strava.com/activities/839591198

Triple3

[QUOTE 4645366, member: 9609"]50 mile on perfectly dry roads, first time I have been out on completely dry roads since maybe early November. So how wonderful not to have to go and spend the best part of an hour cleaning salty road gunge off the bike this evening, just a few drops of oil on the chain and she's ready to roll the morrow ^_^ Springs just round the corner.[/QUOTE]

A hose down, spray with muc off, clean & rinse after both rides this week. Not giving that salt lark a chance

Top Bottom