Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
After yesterday's efforts doing an Imperial ton my legs were aching last night with the odd attack of cramp something that I not had happen after a ride before . So this morning despite aching legs I really wanted to get out an spin my legs . Woke later than normal an it's chucking it down :rain:. About 11.00 a bit of a break in the weather and thought this is as good as going to get . So out with the bike planned an hour flat recovery ride . The first 20 mins the legs were complaining but eventually clicked into gear . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington heading for Quorn and the weather holding so start having thoughts of can I get 50 km in . So pushed on Barrow ,Stanford on Soar and into Loughborough . Slow progress through the town with traffic lights and cycle paths which was quite welcome . Onto Quorn ,Woodhouse where it starts to rain but not too bad ,Through Swithland ,Rothley ,Cropston and home 31.6 miles in mainly dry conditions certainly better than expected . Not many riders out today but a few hardy soles . First weekend and rides for two challenges posted . The only problem I now need a recovery ride from the recovery ride :laugh:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today I head butted a pheasant. Not in a bad-ass mean spirited sort of way, you understand. It just sort of chose the exact moment when I was passing by to suddenly launch itself near vertically out of the ditch, clucking like a demented chicken, and took a glancing blow from my face before it made it to the opposite side. Both of us were OK.

Turned up for the club ride this morning to find only one other person there, as the weather had been awful right up until the moment I left the house, with high winds and driving rain. The two of us set off southwards to do the club's scheduled short ride. The 14 mile outward leg was almost entirely into a stiff headwind, and there were white waves on the Severn at Epney. Was quite glad to turn the corner at Cam and have the wind at our shoulders all the way through Frocester and Whitminster to Hardwicke. Duncan had to get back home then, but I needed to add a few more miles. (I'm trying to keep my average ride up above 40 miles for as long as possible this year).

Turned South again, back into the wind, and battled my way along the waterfront at Epney again. Remarkably, up to this point, there hadn't been a drop of rain. That all changed when I neared Saul, and a dirty black monsoon cloud loomed on the horizon. It started to drizzle, and I put the hammer down and sprinted to the cafe at Saul Marina. 20 minutes (and one Americano and a millionaire's shortbread) later, and the rain stopped. I turned for home and made it without another drop of rain. Huge puddles everywhere, but blue skies above. A lovely ride. No sticky moments apart from being blown 6 feet to my right by a side wind when passing a farm gate near Cam and, of course, the afore-mentioned suicidal pheasant. 40.2 miles today.

May you all be as lucky with the weather. Cheers,
Donger.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After our guests went, so did we... on the tandem.
Off to the west was looking ominous, would we cheat the rain? To the north east it looked like this

IMG_2011.JPG

Through Dry Drayton and Oakington with a tail wind, all very pleasant.
We joined the busway and our Dry luck ran out! The rain was wet, and it was cold too!

On entering Cambridge I stupidly followed the city centre cycle signs and got lost through Arbury, the least salubrious of Cambridge areas. Being a lad who grew up in Ellesmere Port in the 70's it all looks quite gentrified!

At De Freville Avenue we phoned friends to see if we could call in for a brew, but they were out. We carried on in to town ant stopped at Benets on Kings Parade for tea. The sausage rolls looked good but not at £4.95!!!

IMG_2012.JPG

Whilst we were in the warm the tandem shared a cigarette with a waitress from another establishment.

Home via my usual commute to find a squeak that's been there for 2 rides. I think (hope) we killed it!

20 windy, chilly miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/888877108

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've only managed commuting this week, and after a 12 hr night on Friday I fancied a longer amble home, so extended the usual 8 mile commute out to 16 miles. Plans to do the same this morning were scuppered as I got battered by gusty winds, and pouring with rain after only 4 miles, so I gave up at 10 miles. Only 1 more commute, then maybe I can get a proper ride in next week..

iandg

Legendary Member
Had to be in the lab by 9am yesterday so grabbed a quick spin before I started work.

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/886820333/embed/9b3e3bf67dfab4f5d4fdf9a941c53a2c73c9bf0f

Then 'on-call' overnight until 9am so couldn't head too far even tho' I woke early. With only 7 weeks to go to the Dirty User9609 I hit the local gravel on the 'castle grounds' and just did laps for 2 and a bit hours. Tried out a camera pouch attached to the bars with zip-ties - I need to carry a decent camera and get some snaps during the event ;).
All worked well and wicker woman is going to adapt with velcro some time this week :smile:

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/888299836/embed/1d2d91e71f510a9f959948fe0f65b396bc67306d

https://www.relive.cc/view/888299836

17155889_10155075110587486_8924151445943674665_n.jpg

17156142_10155074346927486_972567495786712039_n.jpg

Katherine

Guru
Today was the Polocini Winter Sprinter but there were not many finishers. It was going to be my most challenging ride ever due to the forecast and the big hills at the end of the route.
This was my ride but I've copied ( with permission) the ride report from Robbie, another club member.

"Ride report - Polocini Winter Sprinter or to be better known as Salford CC goes bog snorkelling on the Cheshire lanes.
10 riders arrived all keen and eager at the start at Woodford, reveling in apparently dry conditions after leaving Salford under blue skies. Little did we know what was about to befall the happy band.
Fortified with tea, coffee and porridge as part of the entry fee we set off under gloomy skies with a hint of moisture in the air. Dean Row, to Alderley Edge, then Chorley (the Cheshire one not the norvern one!). Quick stop to put put "waterproof" jackets on for some, then via Lindow End and Mobberly to Knutsford. By this time it was proper wellying it down, almost sleeting than rain but with a tailwind all seemed well. Things did go slightly quiet at the back but overall spirits were still high so on we snorkelled, catching other riders on the way.. Crossing the A556 Chester Road at Tabley gave pause for some choice words about the roadworks and temporary traffic lights, taking an seemingly inordinate time to change.Normally such a chance to rest the legs would be welcomed but not in these conditions!
On through filthy and flooded School and Frog Lanes near Pickmere, then Cann Lane to High Leigh (passing equally sopping wet and somewhat dispondent runners on a local running event). Peacock Lane, Chapel Lane (no real enthusiasm for a quick segment over the new bridge), Cicely Lane (filthy) to Rostherne and the entrance to Tatton Park.
At this point, it was decision time; do we plow on or otherwise? The sight and sound of various shivering bodies and reports of being unable to feel brakes or gears made it; to Tatton Park cafe to try to dry out, get some warmth and made a final decision. Well, given the conditions, the remaining mileage including climbing into potentially colder climes and a cooling headwind meant prudence was the better part of valour, and rightly so. James, AndyW and Rhinanna said enough is enough and arranged onward transport. Seeing these three literally shaking with cold was not a happy sight
1f641.png
:-(
The remaining seven decided to return to Woodford via the reverse route and call it a day. It just wasn't worth the risk.
Into Knutsford we rode, everyone seemed happy enough. And then from behind, the sound that all ride leaders hate; crunch, bang, wallop, albeit followed by "sploosh" and then gales of laughter. WTF!
After pointing out the largest and deepest puddle you would ever expect to see on a road, in Cheshire, Jane decided to take a quick lesson in submarine cycling. Wet?,more like something emerging from the Black Lagoon
1f62e.png
:ohmy: Well at least the gales of laughter told us nothing was broken bodywise, not bike wise as it turned out either. But a small tear in a set of Assos longs caused absolute howls of derision!!
After checking everyone was OK, we pressed on, AndyC and Katherine proving excellent reverse navigators & Julian providing a boost for Emma.
Into the finish we squished, before sitting down in various states of dress and semi-dry clothes, gratefully downing an excellent veggie biryani and hot tea or coffee.
Just to put things into perspective, looking at the pile of non-starter nametags, we reckon only 200 of 300 entries actually started and the actual number who completed the full course was probably in the few tens of riders. Even not long after the start, several riders, clearly identifiable with Polocini tags, were already heading back; although for some the choice of shorts was definitely a mind boggling choice as was the lack of mudguards. Tatton Park cafe well looked after us given that we plus a few other bedraggled Polocinists were the only major custom.
All in all, almost a ride worthy of the epitaph "epic". Given the conditions no-one can be excused of whimping out by any means. We live to fight another day and another day and another ride."

!!!!!

Tin Pot

Guru
Today was the Polocini Winter Sprinter but there were not many finishers. It was going to be my most challenging ride ever due to the forecast and the big hills at the end of the route.
This was my ride but I've copied ( with permission) the ride report from Robbie, another club member.

"Ride report - Polocini Winter Sprinter or to be better known as Salford CC goes bog snorkelling on the Cheshire lanes.
10 riders arrived all keen and eager at the start at Woodford, reveling in apparently dry conditions after leaving Salford under blue skies. Little did we know what was about to befall the happy band.
Fortified with tea, coffee and porridge as part of the entry fee we set off under gloomy skies with a hint of moisture in the air. Dean Row, to Alderley Edge, then Chorley (the Cheshire one not the norvern one!). Quick stop to put put "waterproof" jackets on for some, then via Lindow End and Mobberly to Knutsford. By this time it was proper wellying it down, almost sleeting than rain but with a tailwind all seemed well. Things did go slightly quiet at the back but overall spirits were still high so on we snorkelled, catching other riders on the way.. Crossing the A556 Chester Road at Tabley gave pause for some choice words about the roadworks and temporary traffic lights, taking an seemingly inordinate time to change.Normally such a chance to rest the legs would be welcomed but not in these conditions!
On through filthy and flooded School and Frog Lanes near Pickmere, then Cann Lane to High Leigh (passing equally sopping wet and somewhat dispondent runners on a local running event). Peacock Lane, Chapel Lane (no real enthusiasm for a quick segment over the new bridge), Cicely Lane (filthy) to Rostherne and the entrance to Tatton Park.
At this point, it was decision time; do we plow on or otherwise? The sight and sound of various shivering bodies and reports of being unable to feel brakes or gears made it; to Tatton Park cafe to try to dry out, get some warmth and made a final decision. Well, given the conditions, the remaining mileage including climbing into potentially colder climes and a cooling headwind meant prudence was the better part of valour, and rightly so. James, AndyW and Rhinanna said enough is enough and arranged onward transport. Seeing these three literally shaking with cold was not a happy sight View attachment 341040 :-(
The remaining seven decided to return to Woodford via the reverse route and call it a day. It just wasn't worth the risk.
Into Knutsford we rode, everyone seemed happy enough. And then from behind, the sound that all ride leaders hate; crunch, bang, wallop, albeit followed by "sploosh" and then gales of laughter. WTF!
After pointing out the largest and deepest puddle you would ever expect to see on a road, in Cheshire, Jane decided to take a quick lesson in submarine cycling. Wet?,more like something emerging from the Black Lagoon View attachment 341041 :ohmy: Well at least the gales of laughter told us nothing was broken bodywise, not bike wise as it turned out either. But a small tear in a set of Assos longs caused absolute howls of derision!!
After checking everyone was OK, we pressed on, AndyC and Katherine proving excellent reverse navigators & Julian providing a boost for Emma.
Into the finish we squished, before sitting down in various states of dress and semi-dry clothes, gratefully downing an excellent veggie biryani and hot tea or coffee.
Just to put things into perspective, looking at the pile of non-starter nametags, we reckon only 200 of 300 entries actually started and the actual number who completed the full course was probably in the few tens of riders. Even not long after the start, several riders, clearly identifiable with Polocini tags, were already heading back; although for some the choice of shorts was definitely a mind boggling choice as was the lack of mudguards. Tatton Park cafe well looked after us given that we plus a few other bedraggled Polocinists were the only major custom.
All in all, almost a ride worthy of the epitaph "epic". Given the conditions no-one can be excused of whimping out by any means. We live to fight another day and another day and another ride."

!!!!!
Sound like you had fun ;)

Tin Pot

Guru
"Daddy, can we go bicycling after lunch?"

"Cycling..."

"I like to say bicycling."

Apropos of nothing my daughter demanded two loops around the block this afternoon, and soon decided a third and then a fourth was required.

"I think I'm getting a six pack, or a two pack at least. Is there such a thing as a one pack?"

Daughters are great.

Also did 30km +583m in the freezing wind and rain (sleet?) that nearly took my eye out, at 7am this morning.

Yesterday, I decided that I needed to do some more miles, up some more hills.

https://www.relive.cc/view/888874958

This was a ride designed to test the levels of the guys and gals signed up to the Saints Foundation challenge ride, from Stoke city's football ground, to St. Mary's football ground, in Southampton, in May. It was 75 odd miles long, and included an absolute sod of a hill ( Dean hill near Salisbury). We split into a 'social' group, and a 'serious' group. I was asked to lead the 'serious' group. Although we had a couple of lads who had to walk up the steep bit of Dean hill, it mostly went okay. The 'social' group had a more 'interesting' time of it, with the majority of their riders walking up Dean hill (including 2 of their leaders:laugh:), and a lot of mechanical problems to sort out. All in all a good ride though:bicycle::thumbsup:

Old jon

Guru
After the poor performance yesterday, and the generally low mileage all year, this morning’s bright start was easy to ride out in. Take the Quella out again, it is lower in the miles count, and have a ride around the route I intended yesterday.

Thinking of other things, I was in the habitual depths of Holbeck before I remembered Water Lane was closed. Ah well, Dark Arches it is. It is slightly odd, riding that way, a long bridge to cross the river ( the Aire, which is still high ) and a main line railway station thirty feet above your head. Scurry on out, quick!

Just because you have to, cross the river again at what is now Victoria Bridge, and again at Crown Point, and wriggle around the edges of central Leeds to the bottom of Roundhay Road and the first bit of rising road also, up to the Clock at Oakwood. Along to Boot Hill, no real rest for the legs on a fixed, and start that one. About threequarters of the way up I stopped. Lungs and legs protesting a lot, but all fine after a couple of minutes. Across the Ring Road and on to Red Hall Lane, the right turn for Thorner. The descent of Sandhills was interesting, it is amazing how fast those pedals fly around. Of course, the climb out of the village towards Bramham slows the rotation quite a lot but after that the road is great until Dead Badger Hill.

Which I only pedalled half way up, and walked the rest. Ah well. On to Bramham, West Woods Road in the Wetherby direction and turn left onto the A 58 at the Wetherby roundabout. There are still hills, and the legs were tiring. The really good bit was the last rise to Bardsey where the road bends away rightwards. Past some new, traffic light controlled road works halfway up the hill. And the lights were red. Black lacquered hill start time, it was not a pleasant sight and it felt a lot worse. The joys of cycling. Only one drag left, the climb through Scarcroft which went rather easily. A couple of minor rises and that favourite descent of mine before wending my way home skirting Leeds centre again. Just thirty and a quarter miles, or for the converted 48.6 kilometres. A shower at Collingham, otherwise dry and slightly warmer than expected all the way round. A good one.

Usually a map here, so there we go

06032017.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

A bit of an adventure for me today. Last year 13rider of this parish led a forum ride that stopped at a small cafe in Twycross, I found it on the map, worked out a route and filed it away for a later ride. This morning I decided to do that ride. My route out took me out through Keresley and up Breach Oak lane, on through Astley and Ansley and on down Purley Chase, a descent good for a fast spinning 30mph on the fixed, trouble this morning was that the road was greasy under the tree's and at times the bike was moving round underneath me, not what I wanted at that speed. Round the big island on the A5 then left and into Witherley, left and right in the village and onto Sheepy Magna, right in the village and onto the cafe, which was closed. Right out of the cafe then left on the painted roundabout then right towards Bilstone and Congerstone, then on to the Bosworth Water Park where the Cafe was also closed, they were serving hot drinks in the shop but I decided not do. By this time I was back on familiar lanes so I worked my way through Far Cotton, past Shenton, where we were in the car yesterday, past the Bosworth Battlefield and onto Sutton Cheney where I turned for Sutton Wharf and a coffee stop. I followed a regular route back through Shenton, Upton, across the A444 through Atterton, Witherley and across the A5 and up Purley Chase, I followed my usual route back through Ansley and Astley then when I got to my right turn for Keresley I carried straight on into the outskirts of Bedworth then turned for Keresley and home. 52 miles covered, a lot of that on unfamiliar lanes, on a lovely bright and breezy morning

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/13272294

Monday Sutton cheney.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
The weather, you ask? Sunshine, three lots of rain showers (two heavy) and two hail showers (both heavy). I have forgotten how hail can sting the face! Still, I have started the week with a better strategy to keep my motivation high for writing and thought I deserved a ride. So, I went out to do another 50km.
Did I mention the hail?
Here are a couple Reward For Riding pics:

1.JPG

And one of some clouds - maybe one with rain and the other with hail?

2.JPG

And I include one from yesterday's ride - a little research trip out to Bealings Hall for some background to a possible novel. The faded white structure is a stone pyramid covered with Hindu symbols erected in the mid 19th century.

1.JPG

Top Bottom