Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Against my better judgement, I decided to put a beast of a ride in today, for the March Imperial ton ride. I rode up to Parsons Green, from Upham, then back via Winchester. The trip up to London was fantastic. I stopped at the white horse in Parsons Green, for a Pilsner Urquell.
Something was going on down there today, there were lots of people wearing bowler hats, and a huge police presence, I don't know what it was all about:blink:
IMG_3958.JPG

Then I did the return journey, and deliberately routed past Winchester ( without going anywhere near the A30 ). It all went a bit Pete Tong, when my rear light failed at Farnham, leaving me a 40 mile stretch with a bodge job involving a front light on the back, coloured in with a red pen. I had to take it really easy, to try and prevent any more light failures, due to the atrocious road surfaces. I made it back, 152 miles completed, and this month's imperial ton ride done. I've never ridden one of these big rides this early in the year, I remember why now
:eek:.

https://www.relive.cc/view/887819360

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today was yet another ride with no planned route which then became this month's imperial 50. I took the Kona CX out due to the expected state of the roads after the overnight rain, but by the time I got out of the house everywhere had dried up and was fairly clear. Taking the usual back toad through Levingtion & Nacton into Ipswich, I cut across town to Sproughton and from there a circuitous route to Bramford and up to Claydon.

Once there I took advantage of having a rough road capable bike by taking an off road route (restricted byway) shortcut across to Westerfield and Tuddenham, where yet another off road route along a bridleway (uphill, very muddy and plenty of wheel slip despite the tyres) took me eventually to Rushmere and down to Bucklesham where I had to stop to fix my first flat of the year. From there it was up to Martlesham and back down and across to Waldingfield, down to Newbourne, Kirton and home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/887513000/

galaxy

Veteran
18mph wind and rain forecast but that's better than tomorrows 50 mph winds so lets go. A definite ride of two half's today. Wind assisted effortless cycling along the NCN cycle route 4 over the Loughor Estuary through the wetlands and along the coastlines of Llanelli and Burry Port. At the turning point in Pembrey, it was a rapid changing down of gears and a hard grind into the wind. At this point the rain started driving direct into my face. Found it quite exhilarating in a strange way. Got home soaked and frozen but enjoyed the ride anyway. 32 miles in the bag for my March half metric century.

View attachment 340832

View attachment 340833
NCN Route 4 at Burry Port with the Gower Peninsula in the background across the estuary.
Cycled that part of the coast a few times when take the Caravan to Pembrey.

Often I need to ride in a way that means I can abort a ride with little issue, yesterday was one of those days even if I didn't use the option. I enjoy planning prospective routes to take in new roads and towns en route and found one that I'd planned a while back which would work well. I kind of wanted to complete an imperial century yesterday but mentally wasn't necessarily in the right headspace to do so.

Still, I headed out south down to Sileby and Syston (really need that bridge open at Cossington!) mainly to tick some unpassed boxes for my veloviewer explorer. Then headed to Scraptoft and from there north toward South Croxton. It feels that many of the hills going north toward Melton have the steep side first and then a long gradual descent. Given my current lack of confidence descending on anything not straight, this was a benefit! From South Croxton, through Ashby Folville and onto the roads toward Wymondham that @Supersuperleeds, @13 rider and myself had ridden in the opposite direction the previous week. I can safely report, with a tailwind, these are all fantastic roads!

Leaving the lumpier rolling hills behind, I joined the B576 at Saxby until just after Buckminster (site of an old RFC base in 1918!). My route then kicked north west towards Belvoir Castle on some lovely desolate roads. Feeling a little better mentally by this point but having already done 50 miles and knowing the planned cafe stop in Bottesford was another 10miles away, I was starting to feel hungry. The descent into Woolsthorpe by Belvoir is pretty steep which didn't help....got a slow puncture on the descent (possibly by overbreaking/potholes?!). Managed to make this last until Bottesford where I stopped to change the tube. At this point a friend from work passed and stopped for a chat!! As he was a few miles from home, he passed me another spare tube just in case!! Used a new cafe in Bottesford which was pretty good....think I still prefer the farm cafe that way though.

Decision was made to head toward Long Bennington and then decide what to do. I knew I didn't fancy a headwind (which had picked up a fair bit by then) so it would either be continue the route to Hykeham or abort to Newark. In both cases, a train ride to home. The trip to Long Bennington was splendidly fast so I pushed on through Hougham and toward Ancaster. Around this time as I was fiddling with something and having a drink, I was joined by a fellow cyclist who was going the same way. It was wonderful to have a chat at 75 miles completed especially as we shared a lot of common ground. Left him at Cranwell when I rode down to the A15 and then back up to the top of the ridge along the aptly named Long Lane. At the top is a tribute sign to RFC Leadenham so I stopped and took a picture. A van was approaching as I took it and the van driver waved which cheered me up! From there, and feeling very tired, I headed north toward Hykeham and the station.

104 miles completed.but I think days like this is why I've not committed to the imperial century a month challenge. If I commit, I'll have to do it and really don't want to force myself on days where I'm not feeling up to it. I may end up doing a ton a month (the year target is 12!) but just don't want the added pressure.

Sorry for this being pretty long, I did enjoy the ride on the whole!!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Up early for a Sunday. The forecast was for rain from 9, and we have visitors from 10 so I decided to skip breakfast and head out for a short one on my mountain bike.
On road I cycled round to Caldecote and picked up the bridleway at the phone box.
The first section was fine, but turning to head north it was just a swamp. In too many places I had to get up the edge of the path and scoot myself as best I could. I hate to say it, but a bit of tarmac wouldn't go amiss!
Anyway, I came to the end of this bit and was rewarded with beautiful skies. It's oft said that East Anglia is boring and flat, and I concur, but sometimes you've just got to look up!
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG
IMG_2002.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG

A mile or so to home, flicking globs of clag as I went. Only 7 miles. Nice though!

https://www.strava.com/activities/888151396

colly

Re member eR
Another early morning ride. Not sure why I go out early, I suppose I get back early and that leaves the rest of the day free.
Anyway I was out for about 5.30 it was dark and chilly. I made my way north up Wellington Hill and on towards Wetherby but at Bardesy I turned off and climbed up Wood Lane and made my way over to Bramham, the dawn just beginning to lighten up the sky.
I turned south to run parallel to the A1M all the way down to Fairburn. Just before Selby Fork the sun was creeping up over the horizon setting Drax power station in splendid relief some 12 miles to the east. As I neared Fairburn the sun had leapt free and was brilliant orange, glowing, galactic space traveller hovering just above the horizon.
Through Fairburn and past the RSPB Fairburn Ings Nature Reserve on through 'The Prestons' into Swillington and round the back of Temple Newsham, Seacroft and down Wellington Hill to home.
I didn't have my phone with me so no pics.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/13251946

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got my Imperial Century for March done yesterday.^_^

Although I want to start varying my routes for these challenge rides I decided to play it safe for this one as the weather hasn't been great all week and I didn't know how much to trust the forecast. The route was roughly the reverse of my January ride which I hoped would work well with the wind direction (southerly), although I'd have a long stint against it later on.

I was on the road just after seven and headed over Lyth Hill to Condover then Acton Burnell. Although I was riding into the wind to start with it wasn't bad and I made reasonable progress on roads that I had practically to myself at this time of the morning.

Going this way round means the big climb of the day up to Folly Bank is at about 13 miles rather than 90. I took this steady though to save the legs for later on.

After Cardington my route swings round to the north so I had the wind behind me and made some swift progress to Cressage where I stopped for a bite to eat. The next section I ride regularly as part of my extended route to work so it was quite a pleasant feeling to be riding past without having to stop there.;)

After passing through Upton Magna I headed to Withington (dropped my phone in a puddle when I stopped to check a text message) and on to Roden, Shawbury and Wem. This was a good stretch being flattish and with the wind behind me 16 or 17 mph was a comfortable cruise for several miles. The climb up Palms Hill felt easy and I enjoyed the 32mph descent the other side.:hyper:

There were more cyclists out this time than I've seen on my recent rides which was good but I couldn't help noticing the ones going the other way seemed to be having to work quite hard. I got my first taste of what was to come at Coptiviney as I turned into the wind briefly on my approach to Ellesmere.

Ellesmere to Gobowen is as undulating as ever so I wasn't very quick on this bit. Lunch was eaten beside the hill fort at Oswestry before tacking the long bit into the wind. I managed to knock one of my rear lights when getting on the bike and the lens fell off with a clatter after about 100 yards.:rolleyes:

Although I was going against the wind the gradient was in my favour on the way out of Oswestry so I wasn't too slow. I had my only close pass of the trip on the way to Maesbury which was very annoying, but it did stop me thinking about the headwind for a while.:laugh:

I was slow but steady to Melverley, very slow on the climb at Prince's Oak, but perked up a bit after Westbury where turned east and onto the last leg of the trip.

I added a couple of extra miles at the end by heading through Condover a second time and had the wind behind me again for the home stretch. I had a courteous overtake from a car with P plates on, then got waved past them again at the A49 junction as the driver was having difficulty doing the hill start away from the line.

102.7 miles for the day at 13.4 mph moving average which I'm really quite pleased with. The total time including stops came to 8 hours and 50 minutes.

The bike needs a really good clean now.

DSC0004344.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start. As you see the roads are a wee bit damp.

DSC0004345.jpg

Caer Caradoc has its head in the clouds this morning.

DSC0004349.jpg

About 16 miles further on and we have lovely blue sky at Wroxeter.

DSC0004352.jpg

Withington

DSC0004353.jpg

Moreton Corbet Castle

DSC0004355.jpg

The church tower at Wem.

DSC0004359.jpg

Ellesmere

DSC0004363.jpg

Some signs of Spring at Crickett

DSC0004369.jpg

Crossing the Severn at Melverley.

DSC0004372.jpg

A few showers have bubbled up which I'm now racing for the last few miles to home.

Old jon

Guru
The rain’s revenge happened this morning. A bright, even sunny, start to the day had turned grey and chilly before I turned a wheel, but the clouds were high ( ish ) so off I went on the Quella. By the time I had reached the end of Roseville Road the clouds had lowered and started leaking and any thoughts of riding were being washed away. Cold and wet together, no thanks, about turn. Back across the river, lots of blue sky, oh OK lets ride out Rothwell way, it all counts. Stourton reached as the rain started again. Another retreat, I have had enough. Motivation strangely absent this morning but never mind, it will return and the next ride will be longer than today’s 9.9 miles, hopefully warmer and then the rain will not matter. Roll on!

Odd map, has horns maybe

05032017.jpg

bruce1530

Guru
Woke up quite early this morning - torrential rain. Back to bed :-)

By about 9, it had stopped. Really dark clouds to the north, brighter south - but the wind was gentle, and coming from south-ish. Decided to head out, and turned south.

Quite mild weather - glad I was wearing one less layer than my usual winter gear. Still had the big gloves on.

It stayed dry, although there was a lot of surface water. Headed along the NCN73 route to Kilwinning, then through Irvine and along the coast to Troon. After about an hour the roads had started to dry up, and eventually the sun came out.

Along the prom at Troon. My regular coffee-stop was closed, so kept going. Headed inland for a few miles, stopped at a garden centre for a coffee and “comfort break”. As I arrived, a runner also arrived - quite a big guy, had obviously been working quite hard. He ordered the biggest fried breakfast I have ever seen. Must admit, it looked great!

Back home via pretty much the same route - by this time it was a beautiful morning - the view across to Arran was spectacular.

54km, and pretty much dead flat all the way. Garmin says a total climb of about 250m, which I think is over-estimating.

Last edited:
U

User19783

After a week of working nights, I was not sure if I could managed to find my mojo, but yesterday, I was up after only an hour sleep, ready for our local park run, went well but it was my worst time ever, understandable.

So this morning was planned for a bike ride, I bought a bike of @biggs682 earlier in the week and couldn't wait to get out, and what a ride.
Really pleased with the purchase, but I was disappointed with the Dura ace group set, I could feel no difference to all my other group sets.
But the bike felt brilliant, comfortable,fast and light.
Thanks again Martin

26 miles on my usual loop:okay: and the usual photo of the River Thames down by Bablock Hythe.
IMG_20170305_120132.jpg

U

User19783

@User19783 sorry to hear about your disappointment with the shifters , glad to hear you enjoyed it otherwise .

i used the Ribble on Sat and the Dolan this morning neither were as nice to ride as the Principia :angry:

So what do you fancy next ?????

No issue really, there work ok, but I guess, I was expecting more, being top of the range,
but the bike was is really good, it feels fast before you turn the pedals.

Top Bottom