Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Attempted the Ronde van Calderdale Sportive yesterday 7000 odd feet of climbing over 75 miles and 11 cobbled climbs, only one on a trike(as is usually the case). Set off from the caravan where we had pitched 10miles away from the start at 7am and rode through one of the organisers passed me on the way through and gave 'encouragement' At the start I learnt a valuable lesson in actually reading the info properly (I could have had another hour in bed) plenty of chat before the off, and away we went. before the climbs proper started many were already on the small ring so I passed them on the way up only to be over taken on the way down the other side no speed in descent on a trike for me) When we reached the first cobbled climb I was caught out in the wrong gear and had to stop to adjust. Towards he top was a tight turn where a lot of bunching occurred and I had to stop causing me to slide backwards and a couple of others to find out why you never follow a trike too closely. the ride over the tops was spectacular but some of the descents were nerve racking. about halfway through A few of us took the wheel of some faster cyclists only to find they weren't on the ride and we ended up 5 mile off course. Once we were back on track and on of all places a piece of smooth road my front wheel snapped a spoke so I had to loosen off both front brakes making the descents more hair-raising. At this point common sense prevailed and I abandoned and headed for the last climb (Troopers Lane) which I failed at the first corner, a load of very loose gravel meaning that I had no chance of traction at all. I ended up on and off the trike for the rest of the ascent and back to base after that for a well earned pint
11129717_1596585390611800_1098006566710017678_o (1).jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
@Supersuperleeds I keep thinking I have done some miles over the bank holiday weekend and then I look at your double century and feel meek. Chapeau

50 odd miles on tow paths isn't to be sniffed at and your photos are way better than mine :okay:

postman

Legendary Member
Ha ha,i am back in one piece.54.80 miles.The idea was Stillingfleet,but both Dave and myself, felt out of sorts.So we decided in the sunshine to go to Knaresborough,have a sarnie and a couple of lattes,then over to Otley.Well as we progressed to Knaresborough,we both felt great,mind you it's as flat as a pancake and only 18 miles.Well rested and watered we set off in the sunshine to Otley.The traffic was now building up.So i kept close to the edge of the tarmac,we were near Pool.Suddenly i came to a stop,how i kept upright i have no idea,i had left the road and the pedal had hit the grass banking.So we continued to Otley,we were both getting slower.Arrived in Otley had a short break,then came home.54.80 miles.Some of it slow but it felt good.

Now something for Vernon.
unnamed (14).jpg

RedRider

Pulling through
A cycle about today. Up through Peckham to the Greenwich Observatory then back again to cross the river at Lambeth Bridge.
IMAG0418_1_1_1.jpg

ThenWest. A list of places passed...
Horseguards Parade, the Mall, Constitution Hill, the road that runs alongside Hyde Park, left at the Albert Gate, down through Chelsea coming out near the Thomas More statue then over the Albert Bridge into Battersea Park.
IMAG0419_1.jpg

Over Battersea Bridge onto Millbank and over Lambeth Bridge to home.

C17rsf

Well this was my 3rd ever ride out and did the same route as my first time out. Had a couple of friends with me today who ride at pro level as they fancied a little ride out. Felt a lot better than my first ride on this route. Here's the strava report.

http://app.strava.com/activities/280152679

One of the lads decided to carry on after and ride home and clocked up 126 miles in just over 7 hours.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A ride of two seasons today here in the flatlands. Set off in cold dull weather and came home in sunshine at long last.

A 20 mile circuit up to a nature reserve called Kingfisher Bridge between Ely and Soham. On the road near Swaffham Prior the first swallow of summer I've seen passed by overhead.

image.jpg

In the distance is Ely Cathedral bathed in sun.

Headed back through Wicken which was busy but no too bad. Just one idiot dog walker who let her dog run off through a scrape, scaring the wildfowl. Honestly. I may have used some bad language towards the half wit.

image.jpg

Stopped for a brew at a quiet spot watching marsh harriers.

image.jpg

Reach Lode looking good in the sunshine.

There are few busy roads on my regular routes but one road, between Swaffham Prior and Upware, that carries a surprising amount of traffic, is currently closed for repairs. It has been shut for weeks and its been bliss. Even fewer motons.

image.jpg

It doesn't stop a few bone headed drivers from trying it, but quite fun laughing at them fail. I hope the road never opens again but then I could say that about most roads.

A barn owl was out early near Swaffham Prior and as I watching it, a car slowed next to me. Bloody hell I thought - here we go - more abuse coming my way. As it turned out the guy had also spotted the owl and just stopped to chat. Perhaps my contempt for drivers is sometimes exaggerated.

A lovely ride with signs of Spring at long last.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Beautiful weather today and the chance to get out for a ride this morning...
I didn't really have a route in mind but wanted to steer clear of Salcey and Pitsford pitstops as they would be heaving on a sunny Bank Holiday so I headed out towards Wollaston and Santa Pod than doubled back a bit to Bozeat (pronounced Bojut ,(with a soft J)) to get myself into Grendon.

DSC_0757.JPG

Obligatory photo at the top of the hill in Wollaston...

There were loads of riders out today, unsurprisingly, on all sorts of bikes and tandems. Some in shorts and short sleeved tops like I was, and others still kitted out for winter! Oh well, it takes all sorts...

DSC_0764.JPG

Eventually, within 5 miles or so of finishing my ride, I called in at Sywell Res café to grab an ice cream. As I had some stuff to do with daughter and granddaughter at about 14:30 ish, I got myself home at about 13:30 so I could wipe the dust of the bike and myself before lunch.

Back home on 32 warm and sunny miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/280219930

:smile:

Freds Dad

Veteran
After helping SWMBO in the garden this morning followed by a spot of lunch with friends at Arighi Bianchi in Macclesfield the sun finally appeared around 2:30. This gave me the opportunity to don my shorts and get out for a ride.

Despite it being a Bank Holiday the lanes were very quiet and that always makes it more pleasurable. Today's ride has given me a total of 106 miles over the last 5 days which I'm extremely pleased with seeing that I only started cycling at the end of August last year.

I think I need some comfier shorts as my current ones tend to chafe after about 20ish miles so any recommendations welcome.

https://www.strava.com/activities/280449675

Top Bottom