Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sleepy in a bit today so only had time for a 5 miler out round the Stannochy and back into town . Stopped at a favourite bench to take in some water and ended up getting a lecture on the workings or rather the failings of a Council road sweepers truck which had broken down beside me. Very eh ....interesting. Cycling...it's not the mileage you do it's the characters you meet.:okay:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just 11 miles this morning. Pretty high intensity though and 680 feet of elevation.
Twas hard work, but ultimately enjoyable. Averaged 15 mph and set several PBs along the way.

I was only 3 seconds slower than Alex Dowsett on the Heanton descent and I'm old enough to be his grandad! How good is that?!
:wahhey::wahhey::wahhey::wahhey::wahhey:

If I had realised what his time was before I set out, I'd have had 'im!:laugh:

StickBouncer

Regular
Spent a great morning out cycling with Saluki on a mini tour (27.something miles) of the Norfolk broadsWeather was very kind hardly any wind and niether too hot nor too cold. We met at Halfords on Barn Road and made our way round the inner link road to GurneyRoad for a bit of a climb then cut along Britania Road to Plumstead road then out into the countryside. I had one clipless momment when I unclipped my left foot and leant the bike to the right. Sure someone will post a picture of me in a heap on the floor. Very kind car driver stopped to make sure everything was okay. We stopped at The Malteese in Ranworth for a cuppa and to make a fuss of some of the many dogs that were there.by the time we were about 20 miles into the route my knees decided they had had enough so we had a brief stop in the shade then onward. The last mile of so were a bit harder than they should have been but all in all a great ride. Must get some more hill climbing in before Norwich 50. Thanks Saluki for a good ride. Oh I did take my camera and took 3 pictures or so. same time next week?!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I went here:
S.%20Walsham%20ride.jpg

I rode the 2.5 miles down the Marriott's to Halfords to meet @StickBouncer and he bike sat, while I popped in for a new innertube as I couldn't find a spare and didn't want to tempt fate. I had patches, tyre levers, little air canisters and squirter thingy but thought that a new tube was required too. I couldn't find my wee saddlebag this morning so I had everything in my pockets.
I had to laugh at SB as when he bought the Defy from me he was all "oooh this is so lovely and light" but after he wheeled my PX Pro Carbon along he was all "oooh this is so lovely and light" :laugh: That said, if I was getting in bother on a fast downhill and there were a couple of tight bends that I hadn't accounted for, I'd much rather be on the Defy that the PX as I know that the Defy would get me round. The PX probably would but I've not got in bother on a fast downhill with tight bends while riding it.

We rode out of Norwich and up Gurney Road, which is a bit of a challenge. Just as far up as Britannia Road, past the prison and then along to Plumstead Road, which Turns into Plumstead Road East and then back into Plumstead Road again after Thorpe End. We rode out to the Brickilns Pub then hooked a left to Salhouse, Woodbastwick and then came off route to Cockshoot Broad, because it's pretty and we were not in a hurry. We waved at the pub across the water (Hickling Ferry) and then retraced our wheel tracks and headed off to Ranworth where we sat, outside the pub, in the sun with a nice cuppa apiece. From there we rode to South Walsham and then back home via Plumstead. That was a revelation too as there is a long, tarmacked cyclepath cum foot path cum bridle way. Impressive indeed. We had a 5 min sit on the verge at Plumstead and a munch of a protein bar (SB had jelly animals). Then headed back via Thorpe End and then cut through the Hartsease Estate as it's downhill to pick up the cyclepath back home again.

I left SB at his place and headed the 3 miles or so back home again.
32.7 at an average of 11.9mph, which was just lovely for a nice morning/lunchtime out and about.

Poor SB ran out of beans at the Hartsease but has his recent fitness has been all walking, he did bloody well. He'll want a hot bath I should think.
One bit of hilarity. We took a bit of a wrong turn and then SB had a clipless moment and landed on the verge. He was down there so long, a couple in a car came along to ask if he was OK. We didn't like to tell them that he was only down there so long because I couldn't get my camera phone to work so he had to stay down there :laugh::laugh: I'm a horrible riding buddy really.

I am hoping that SB will be along later to post the ride pics as it was such a lovely day.
Same time next week then SB??

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
OH suggested a ride today after the aborted attempt yesterday due to a flat.

Once again, southbound, towards the M25. Not too many people about, but one couple did seem to object to us, with him deliberately obstructing OH & forcing her to stop.

A glorious day for a ride, plenty of sun with a pleasant breeze. We managed to pass the M25 and stopped at the next lock. Looking back you can see the M25 from left to right with the railway line on the RHS. A pleasant spot but noisy!

one.JPG

The lock keepers cottage is very pretty & well maintained, I'm not sure if it is lived in but there are signs requestion cyclists to ride slowly past it. Didn't really apply to us, we always ride slowly

two.JPG

It always amazes me how the ride back always feels different, well in this direction it is uphill, the GPS seems to suggest a drop of ~100ft. But on this occasion it seemed a lot bumpier. I managed to obstruct people coming the other way whilst admiring a full sus bike but at least I didn't push anyone in the canal today. Rather than hang my etrex 20 around my neck I used the handlebar clip which was very successful, even over fairly rough ground.

$_1.JPG

(Not an etrex 20 but the same clip) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-Garmi...884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a348d1224

Finished off with a homemade steamed pudding & lashings of gravy followed by cake.

7.3 miles, avg 5.6mph

BrynCP

Über Member
Four days in a row now and almost 150 miles. 43 miles today, out on a relatively new route of mine.

Couldn't have done much further, it's amazing how much this "cold" is still affecting my endurance.

First day of the year I took my jacket off, although perhaps looked a bit silly with my big padded gloves and a lightweight jersey! Also applied sunscreen, felt like it was a bit early but the Met Office said UV 3 and I burn easy so decided for the best - just the SPF50 stuff makes me look like a ghost! It was Good Friday last year I first got burned.

So having nearly recovered (still need a good meal and a sleep) from today's ride, I thought it about time I wrote it up.
The last 2 mornings I have cycled, it has been dense fog and full waterproofs have been needed to keep me warm and this morning was no different. There was one minor difference today though: it was my first foray onto the roads alone on the recumbent trike.

IMG_2584.JPG
The flag has had a slight upgrade since yesterday's ride. :blush: @Scoosh and others may think it a little excessive, it could be, but it worked. I don't like the flag that came with the trike because it is really only visible from the side and I would really like it to be visible from in front and more importantly, behind. It is now... :laugh: I can trim the tails if needed, but that orange stands out so much better than the hi-viz yellow does. Today, I could here vehicles slowing down well in advance of me and then creeping closer and closer... That's that one sorted then! They can see me! :laugh:

IMG_2587.JPG
Today's spot the car competition! Again there is one, honest...

I had a different route form yesterday, after comments along the lines of rush hour, school run and you've picked the rat runs were made, so it would around the lanes a touch and managed to find all of the climbs around here... In fact I had accidentally picked all of the roads that I used to use for my climbing runs... :wacko:

But on one of them, I just had to stop. I looked right at the wrong moment for every non-photographer and right for every photographer...

IMG_2591b.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG
And I watched, it was burning off in front of me. This was not on. Previously the fog had not burnt off until well after mid-day and today it was considering it around 9am! I had only limited space to carry my clothing and it was already in use!

IMG_2602.JPG
No visits needed for that road name. Offal Pit Lane. I can avoid that one!

By now it was getting warm. I have no idea how warm, but it was a problem. I also knew I was due to drop back into the Weaverham Valley which is well known around here for being in fog when the rest of the place isn't, so it was a strip off under layers and store them, keeping wind and hi-viz available. I had a route which picked most of the minor single track roads around here, and one that had the potential to be a problem. It was marked as a dead-end, I knew it up until the turn off, but today I decided I would risk it. It looked like it was probably an option, there was a bridlepath marked for the 300m or so that wasn't a road on an OS map and there was a chance that if there was a nasty gate or barrier I wouldn't be able to make a loop. As it was, the road goes all the way through, it is just a private road like the one I live on and has speed bumps (ouch!) and a really nasty climb with an awful gradient under a railway bridge. Strava only has it as a 10% gradient, well 10% is more than enough for me right now, trust me. You will be glad to know I didn't get out and walk - it would not have been easier. The bike is neither light, nor easy to push, sorry the trike.... I did make it up without stopping, but it was a serious bottom gear job for me. For those who want to work it out, Rohloff hub first gear, running on a 30 tooth front ring and a 19 tooth rear sprocket. I have no idea how many gear inches that is, but it is low.

IMG_2615.JPG
After that came a signpost I liked. Oh the days of when people thought it was possible to walk 8.5 miles!
Time to loose a few more layers.

Later on the change decided to come off the front derailleur - no idea what happened, but it jammed really well and took me several minutes to unjam it, with the aid of a certain amount of kicking! (Sorry)

IMG_2616.JPG
Getting hotter. Now I have started to get innovative. The waterproof trousers, essential to keep my legs warm early on now went into the seat pocket. And my coat, well my coat I was out of room and out of ideas until one suddenly hit me. I'll lye it on the seat and tie it to it. It shouldn't go anywhere with me learning on it and if the arms stay tied, they won't get into the rear wheel....

IMG_2620.JPG
See, it got really sunny!

IMG_2623.JPG
My waterproof top solution! Home and knackered. 15.9 miles, slightly longer than yesterday, slightly faster than yesterday and much more climbing.
https://www.strava.com/activities/280838938

Sandra6

Veteran
Mr6 and I took the folders for their first proper ride.
Drove to the coast at allonby and had a blast down the cycle path to maryport. Not far, but with the headwind it was a good half hours exercise. Was much more fun coming back, and then there was ice cream!

13 rider

Guru
To Haydock and back along the East Lancs cycle path, via Newton le Willows, Golborne Vale, Culcheth, Glazebury, Astley. It was worth waiting for the mist to clear this morning for a lovely ride in the afternoon sunshine. I wasn't sure how many miles to aim for when I set off and it felt like hard work until I turned round and realised that I'd been riding into a headwind, so much easier on the way home that I added every loop that I could to make a total of 35 miles in 3 hours moving time.
Katherine don't forget to post your half century ride in the challenge :thumbsup:

Top Bottom