Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Well my ride was yesterday but hayho. The ride was for a change planned by someone. This was by @maltloaf which looked good and with some roads that I had not been on before.

Today's ride was split into two groups and the people that suggested that we should have a split didn't turn up so what are surprise!
Dave was out on his new Ros. We seem to have had alot of new bikes this year.

No @gordyfinbar as he was away on family duties.

Well @Donger was in two minds about the ride not long after giving blood. But the size of him in would have thought a pint would only be a twelfth of him!

The ride started on familiar territory out Naas Lane and up Edge Hill. So it was a case of pick a gear and a pace and stick to it But for a change we turned right at the top of Edge and went towards Randwick (I think) the road was slightly up hill before a long decent ending up in Stroud. I really enjoyed the ride down and got upto 39mph in one part, before having to think about the road surface and where it was going. Not being sure as I've never been along it.

When I got to the bottom there were a few waiting but then it seemed an age for @Donger and a few others were missing. But it turned out that they miss heard the route and came up the hill we were going down next lol.

After the hilly section will had just negotiated this rest of the route was goingvt by flat in comparison. So now itcwasca heading out of Stroud towards Frocester and into the countryside, and finally to a coffee shop for a stop.

For some reason we picked up a local cyclist and while entering King Stanley he said we were going the wrong way? But he didn't know our route lol. So we then went across the bottom of Frocester Hill and headed for Cam station. Normally by Cam station we turn right towards the A38, but most of us turned left and 4 turned right as they had to be back early. As we headed to Dursley we turned right at the first roundabout and headed uphill. Someone shouted "what sort of hill is this " and the reply came in the form of " a uphill one!"
At the top of the hill we turned right towards Stinchcombe and the A38. I didn't realise there was a slight incline then a nice drop back to the A38.

On the A38 we made sure everyone was with us at the Slimbridge roundabout, and it was there that we decided to have coffee at Saul Junction. So it was up through Cambridge passed Hilltop garage then left into Frampton before Saul Junction.

So @Donger and Des and I tried a little pelaton to get up the A38 to hilltop but it didn't work and @Donger I think got slightly left at the rear. But he did explain that his top ring us only a 44, it's no wonder he has problems in some flat sections keeping up with the road bikes.

When we got to Saul Junction the 4 that left us were sipping their coffees and hot chocolates!

Well it was our turn to have our drinks but we didn't have anything to eat this time.

After a little rest and drink it was off to the Longley Loop and back to the estate.
During the ride around the loop @Donger and I had a chance for a quick chat.

All in all for me the ride was just over 40 miles

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Just 38 miles today but what a 38 miles! Lovely day , warm, not hot, perfect!

I was testing my new bike set up, 130mm stem added, saddle up, more stretched out/aero.....I was also nursing a lower back strain from a Gym session the other day, so I took it easy. Had lunch at the top of the climb,
rode halfway down, then decided to go back up again just so I could ride down again ha ha....met three Belgian girls on bikes lost, so showed them the way to thier hotel on thier maps.
The bike felt much faster under me, lighter and more comfortable than before. This is my local loop out here! :bicycle::sun::bicycle::sun::bicycle::sun:

Looking back across the bay of Famagusta

It was him or me!

Halfway up the climb

next stop Turkey

Where I stop & empty my head

My new bikestand

I totally love ridig these mountain roads

Attempted the Ronde van Calderdale Sportive yesterday 7000 odd feet of climbing over 75 miles and 11 cobbled climbssnapped
At this point common sense prevailed and I abandoned and headed for the last climb (Troopers Lane) which I failed at the first corner, a load of very loose gravel meaning that I had no chance of traction at all. I ended up on and off the trike for the rest of the ascent and back to base after that for a well earned pint View attachment 84896

The 'Trooper' got me too, back in May..............
2014. Bluebell Trail. 2.jpg 2014. Bluebell Trail. 3.jpg

Captain Scarlet

Über Member
Well didn't set off until 8.30pm on my second ride out on my new set of rims. Liking them a lot, especially on the uphill sections, feels a lot nicer.

Sky was still light in parts and a beautiful still night, with stars coming out. A very traffic free ride really seeing me head into the city and out the other side and around the city bypass to the west and north of the city. Then back through the city centre. Just happened to see a few nice ladies jogging along

Highlight , apart from a faster pace, was drafting a mercedes E250 who couldn't be bothered to do 25mph through the town lol

Edit....ended up doing 16.9 miles in 54 mins.

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
To Haydock and back along the East Lancs cycle path, via Newton le Willows, Golborne Vale, Culcheth, Glazebury, Astley. It was worth waiting for the mist to clear this morning for a lovely ride in the afternoon sunshine. I wasn't sure how many miles to aim for when I set off and it felt like hard work until I turned round and realised that I'd been riding into a headwind, so much easier on the way home that I added every loop that I could to make a total of 35 miles in 3 hours moving time.

Backshift this week (2 to 10 ) so off i go for a wee ride out this morning before the witching hour,did a 10 mile loop round by the golf course and the top end of town. Very pleasant and really enjoying being back in the saddle again. Plan to do a bit more in the mornings this week but the evil spectre of overtime is beckoning . Will try to get out tomorrow but may be doubtful for Wednesday through Friday .

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My youngest, who's 10 and has been mentioned on here before, didn't make the Saturday am club run with me. After promising to. Now I'm not a bad parent, honest :rolleyes: but he decided on Sunday to skip our shorter planned ride and instead to ride to my parents with me.

No problem. Only, they're just over 50 miles away.

So, on a Bank Holiday Monday we were both up at 5.30am and out for 6 :wacko: . It was :cold: and foggy!

Dewsbury - Batley - Bradford was fine. He struggled from there to Keighley when, after a stop and defrost under McDonald's hand driers he gained a second wind and shifted it much faster most of the way. All fine except for a couple of very close passes on the A65. My wife left at 9.45 am and got to my parents just before us. He made it - and one proud parent.

The ride back was uneventful; straight back the same way, but in almost half the time.

it's a good un, I struggled but just scraped up on the carbon last year, should have known better with the trike..
I don't think many outside of the top 30 (or so) managed to run all the way up

That said;
- I really enjoyed the descent of 'Dark Lane' (part of the Magna Via, that's the medieval hollow-way, off Beacon Hill, towards Norcliffe) http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/841842

- I remember the first time I tried to ride up 'Shibden Wall'... in the rain..... comedy falls were the order of the day

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My youngest, who's 10 and has been mentioned on here before, didn't make the Saturday am club run with me. After promising to. Now I'm not a bad parent, honest :rolleyes: but he decided on Sunday to skip our shorter planned ride and instead to ride to my parents with me.

No problem. Only, they're just over 50 miles away.

So, on a Bank Holiday Monday we were both up at 5.30am and out for 6 :wacko: . It was :cold: and foggy!

Dewsbury - Batley - Bradford was fine. He struggled from there to Keighley when, after a stop and defrost under McDonald's hand driers he gained a second wind and shifted it much faster most of the way. All fine except for a couple of very close passes on the A65. My wife left at 9.45 am and got to my parents just before us. He made it - and one proud parent.

The ride back was uneventful; straight back the same way, but in almost half the time.
Well done, Tim!

I try to avoid roads like the A65 as much as possible. I was coming back from Horton to Bolton Abbey one Sunday evening on the A65/A59 and it started to rain, which led to heavy spray being thrown into the air by vehicles. There was heavy traffic, presumably much of it people returning from a weekend in the Lake District. Having cars towing boats, 4x4s towing horseboxes, motorbikes, coaches, and HGVs thundering past about 2 ft from my right elbow when there was about 20 ft of visibility was one of the scariest things that I have ever experienced on a bike! :eek:

There were 48 serious or fatal accidents on the 42 km stretch of road between 2002 and 2004 ...

Top Bottom