Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Almost a week since my last ride, my right ankle decided to be boss for a while. Medication, beer, and a walking stick have cured the boss ambitions.

That said, I was still cautious about the ride this morning, after the Holbeck hoopla I chose to ride the towpath as far as Viaduct Road. It provides an easy ride back home, just in case. Anyway, things were doing fine so I continued pedalling, up Cardigan Road to Headingley and from there to the Ring Road at Lawnswood. Across there and that ‘orrible word ‘ cautious ‘, started to niggle me, so at the lights by Church Lane I turned right and then left to pass the church and cross Adel dam on the way to the top of Black Hill Road. And descended to Arthington like this.

I do like the whizzy bits.

Turn left at the A 659 and ride through Pool and still on the valley bottom road, on to Otley. All the green growing gorgeously everywhere you look, that and keeping an eye on the road ( shh! A most unusual tailwind also ) made that stretch of road go very quickly. Unlike the next stretch, the Leeds road out of Otley is uphill most of the way to the Dyneley Arms. That done, and not fancying the detour from Bramhope through Cookridge, I rode the A 660 all the way to Headingly, fair quiet it was for a Bank Holiday Sunday, turned right for the downhill dodgems to Kirkstall and the towpath back to Office Lock. Water Lane is still suffering archeology, so a dive under the railway station and a bit of street riding through Hunslet left me pointing towards home and a smidge over 30 miles for the morning, and a mere 1300 feet of climbing. Good though.

A not so different squiggle

30042017.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After this mornings ride we've been doing housework :sad:
We spend a lot of time cycling and things, so a windy Sunday seemed like a good day for it.
But then I escaped on my mountain bike! Off toward Cambourn, but then taking a byway down a lovely green lane with small undulations to keep it fun. After a minute or so I came across a heap of rubbish tipped by some tossers.
I passed a couple walking a gold and a black Lab and then I went along a section of bridleway that's recently been harrowed. That was a bit sketchy.

I surfaced at the Childerley Estate. There was a small herd of short legged Hereford cattle there (cow geek alert)
IMG_2743.JPG

The mums looking a bit rough, probably not long out of the winter barn.
A few fields on I came across a big flock of Dorper sheep (I think)

IMG_2745.JPG

I came out of the estate and went down to Caldecote before returning home along by Hardwick Wood. Bluebells and wild garlic.
Toward the end of the wood in one of the fields was a herd of Hereford cattle, they must be all the rage in South Cambs at the moment!
IMG_2747.JPG

Just over 12 miles in a robust wind

https://www.strava.com/activities/964655026

Osprey

Guru
Out on the Van Nicholas today which should be my best bike but I prefer my old Croix de Fer. However a backlog of maintenance on it has forced it off the road. Todays quest was to get more hill training in for the Tour of Pembrokeshire sportive in three weeks time so I decided on a compact trio of climbs and do the loop twice. My first climb half a mile from home was the 22% Penuel climb which kind of beat me as my Garmin auto stopped so I thought why not and stopped for a breather half way up. Onward across Welsh moor then through the farm lanes to Llanmadoc for the 17% climb. More narrow country lanes before dropping into Porteynon Bay and the 10% climb back out. Next up is the 10% up and over Cefn Bryn which is the central spine of Gower. A quick banana stop and it was on for the second loop now into the stronger 15mph breeze. Disappointingly after all that it only amounted to 2500ft in 36 miles. Still another point for the half metric century.

upload_2017-4-30_16-39-3.png

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
After this mornings ride we've been doing housework :sad:
We spend a lot of time cycling and things, so a windy Sunday seemed like a good day for it.
But then I escaped on my mountain bike! Off toward Cambourn, but then taking a byway down a lovely green lane with small undulations to keep it fun. After a minute or so I came across a heap of rubbish tipped by some tossers.
I passed a couple walking a gold and a black Lab and then I went along a section of bridleway that's recently been harrowed. That was a bit sketchy.

I surfaced at the Childerley Estate. There was a small herd of short legged Hereford cattle there (cow geek alert)
View attachment 350126
The mums looking a bit rough, probably not long out of the winter barn.
A few fields on I came across a big flock of Dorper sheep (I think)

View attachment 350128

I came out of the estate and went down to Caldecote before returning home along by Hardwick Wood. Bluebells and wild garlic.
Toward the end of the wood in one of the fields was a herd of Hereford cattle, they must be all the rage in South Cambs at the moment!
View attachment 350127

Just over 12 miles in a robust wind

https://www.strava.com/activities/964655026
Fine looking cattle.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays non-ride today was time limited, but enough to get a few miles in.
After an Olympic level of faffing getting ready, including breaking the zip on one of my favourite cycling tops (and before anyone chips in with a comedy comment about zips only being able to take so much lateral strain it's only a 1/4 zip so my generous midriff had nowt to do with it...:laugh: ), I was finally out of the door just after 9am.

It was pleasantly warm, although a bit windier than the "breeze" the forecast had foretold. This didn't matter at first as it was largely behind me up the Coal Road, Red Hall Lane and Whin Moor Lane, in fact all the way out to Slaid Hill lights, where I passed a very friendly ride from Valley Striders heading the other way.
Down the hill on Wike Ridge Lane and up the other side and onto Tarn Lane where I did notice the wind. Blimey - this is a bit blowy, I thought.
Steady progress along the tops and then down a nicely sheltered Ling Lane to the A58 and the whizz down the hill to the right turn onto Thorner Lane and the descent down to the beck, passing a couple more Valley Striders fettling at the roadside (all under control), and the punishing (for me :sweat:) climb up Scarcroft Hill to Milner Lane where I paused to pop my lungs back in and take a couple of photos:
IMG_20170430_094217341_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170430_094251327.jpg
IMG_20170430_094445482_HDR.jpg

Doing OK for time, I headed up Milner Lane largely sheltered by the hedges but getting blown about a bit by the cross-wind at every gate and gap. Luckily it's a nice quiet lane most of the time!
Realising that I'd probably not have enough time to do a loop through East Rigton, I turned back at the other Thorner Lane junction and retraced my route back along Milner Lane and then the quick descent and followed by the rise into Thorner, where they were ringing the church bells for me again! :tongue:
Onto Carr Lane for the generally uphill run all the way back to the A58.
Left there and the half mile down to Coal Road, with the climb back up and then down onto local roads heading for home, now straight into the teeth of the maelstrom ;)
Approaching home I realised that I still had enough time to add on a long loop around the block and push the mileage on.

15.27 miles (24.57km) in 1h 6m at an average of 13.8mph with 853ft climbed.
I'll take that given the time available and that pesky head wind, plus I somehow managed to set another 2 PBs on the 'winter' bike.:okay:
Lots of cyclists about too and with just one exception all the drivers were well behaved.

And finally, a map:
30042017.JPG

Last edited:
Up to watch Stage 3 of 'T de Y' today

Out through Stanley, Outwood, Wrenthorpe
Climbing steadily up to Tingley (jct 28/M62), & again uphill to Gildersome (jct 27/M62 - the IKEA junction)
A far better, easier, safer journey than when it used to be a roundabout
Along Drighlington Bypass; getting 'chicked' near the Bradford end, by a 'Drig CC' lady (no shame in it, she was going better than me)
Along Tong Street, onto the Ring-Road, over the M606. & past Richard Dunn Sports Centre

A long, steady drag up through Wibsey (with a call at Co-Op, after I realised I'd left my water bottle on the kitchen table - "D'oh!!")
Come Clayton Heights, the ascent continues up to Queensbury - famous for being the (present) home of Black Dyke Mills Band

Regretted going on the CGR, & not using the (5 - 6 pond lighter) Gran Fondo

A right turn towards Mountain, on the Denholme road, past the Raggalds pub, & the feed-zone

3.3.JPG 3.5.JPG 3.10.JPG
Coming back was worse, as the wind was at 'two oclock' on me, until I left the Ring-Road, then in the face all the way home:evil:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1 miles this day, again on the Dawes, very damp and drizzly, only 2 other cyclists, one on a LeMond, another on a box store Schwinn. All taking advantage of the short break in the solidly rainy weather. Now back to rain again.
54F, 12C
Wind N15
Relative humidity 97%
Barometer 29,72, 1009.3mb
Brisk.

Dan's Owd Man

34 miles on my Fatty today,approx 30 miles off road on Canal Towpath and Bridleways, 2,200' of ups and some realy nice fast but bumpy downs.
From Shardlow to Bretby.
Went through a lovely little deciduous wood just before Sawmills,carpets of native Bluebells every where.

Came across this building between Bretby Hall and Nather Hall
Just a bit of building work going on.

20170430_124544_zpsweu9u9cp.jpg

Just the end wall missing.

Until you look down a bit.

20170430_124551_zpsuwcgbgdm.jpg

Serious stuff.

https://www.strava.com/activities/964548256

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
Decided on a change of scenery today. So got up early and got a train to Buchs in the Kanton of St Gallen. It's a town right on the border of Lichtenstein.

The plan was to follow Cycle Route 9 Stage 9 from Buchs to Ziegelbrücke with the possibility of extending with half of Stage 8 to Rapperswil.

Started off riding down the banks of the Rhine into a cold headwind wondering what I'd let myself in for! However, after a stop for a packed 'second breakfast' of bacon sandwiches, it started feeling a lot better. It was helped by the fact that the views were fantastic with snow covered mountains wherever I looked. After a few Kilometers the route turns away from the Rhine and into Sargans. Stopped for a coffee to warm myself up and the sun showed up, which was nice. Heading East from Sargans heading to Flums is probably my best bit of cycleroute ever. Long flat, empty and through a valley with lots of mountains on either side and best of all a slight tailwind. Definitely the best part of the day, I didn't want it to stop. From Flums I headed in to Walenstadt, and skirted round the shore of the Lake Walensee. I expected this to be better than it was, it's beautiful, but a long stretch is on a main road. At the end of the Walensee, the path continues through the valley to Ziegelbrücke. I didn't fancy stopping so carried on. The next bit of the ride was more nice open cyclepath all the way to Schmerikon at the end of Lake Zürich. By now I was starting to get a bit tired so didn't enjoy the last bit so much. It turns into gravel paths most of the way to Rapperswil and the route was very busy with walkers and other cyclists. So I was please to finally arrive at Rapperswil.

Parked the bike and rewarded myself with a Mocha Frapuccino. I was quite warm by now and it was much appreciated.

83km's in total which is my longest distance for this year. Very pleased with that. Did think about doing the extra 17km's for the hundred, but in all honesty, by body had had enough. Can't wait to do this one again later in the summer.

Here are a few photos.

Start of the ride at Buchs SG
photo1.jpg
Starting out along the Lichtenstein border riding down the banks of the Rhein
photo2.jpg
My favourite bit of cyclepath from Sargans to Flums
photo3.jpg
And along the banks of the Walensee, very beautiful, but mostly on busy roads.
photo4.jpg
And a map
Map.JPG

Gareth C

Veteran
LES TROIS VALLÉES (2017-IÈME EDITION)
Last year around bluebell time, I did this ride. This year again I had the opportunity to be dropped off at Horsley and make the ride south home via Tynedale, Weardale, Teesdale and finally back to Weardale. Unlike last year, there was a strong easterly cold wind. For the first half of the ride this wasn’t a big problem, as it was a sidewind. However, once in Teesdale (just over half way) this became an energy sapping headwind. However, I resisted the temptation to call for a rescue lift, and made it all the way home. 104 kilometres!

TYNEDALE
fullsizerender-17.jpg

Riding alongside the Tyne
fullsizerender-20.jpg

Crossing the River Tyne
fullsizerender-12.jpg

fullsizerender-18.jpg

Short byway diversion through the bluebell woods
fullsizerender-21.jpg

View north into Northumberland
fullsizerender-19.jpg

Empty roads
fullsizerender-14.jpg

fullsizerender-13.jpg

Just before Blanchland
fullsizerender-4.jpg

fullsizerender-6.jpg

WEARDALE
fullsizerender-10.jpg

fullsizerender-9.jpg

Crossing the River Wear
fullsizerender-111.jpg

The climb up Chapel Fell
fullsizerender-5.jpg

About to start the fast descent into Teesdale
TEESDALE
fullsizerender-7.jpg

On entering Teesdale the route turned east into a strong headwind that was to make the rest of the day a bit of an ordeal…

fullsizerender-11.jpg

View back up Teesdale
BACK TO WEARDALE
fullsizerender-3.jpg

Crossing the Wear for a second time
fullsizerender1.jpg

Not far to go now
screen-shot-2017-04-30-at-21-10-23.png

https://www.relive.cc/view/964951360

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I forgot to add my experience of somewhat odd cycling on my ride on Saturday

I was on the flat section Poynton to Macclesfield. I was taking it pretty easy because I had that "Bleep of Death" climb and a load of other hills to come. Just spinning along. And then I became aware of another cyclist close behind. He must have caught up, latched on for a draft into the headwind but never said a word. Must have been 3 or 4 miles like this

I'd had enough of this so on the next incline I pushed on a bit and left him behind. Eased off a bit later near Macc only for him to pass me. Not a sausage, no hello, no nothing. So I shouted "Hello !!!!" as he passed an he nearly fell off his bike in surprise.

So he was about 10m ahead....and then he started to slow down and freewheel a bit. He'd put an effort in to get past and then was slowing down. I was catching him despite just spinning along. So I felt I should keep a respectable distance behind. But it got ridiculous. So I did what any self respecting cyclist would do...gritted my teeth and put the power down, shot past him (no hello for you sunshine) and never saw him again

Hey all just a wee update on the rides i have crammed in between shifts.... Monday last saw me manage a six miler before work then the 12 hour shifts kicked in . Saturday morning managed to get another 6 mile on the mtb before heading off with family for shopping in Montrose. Sunday and 6 miles completed before a visit to the out laws. Hoping to be on 8 hour shifts next week so ' Operation up the miles ' starts in earnest on Monday morning. Ride safe folks....Mike.

Top Bottom