Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daisyj

Über Member
My longest ride so far, 18 miles through Great Elm to Radstock. I struggled with Egford Lane and had to walk part of it. The weather held so it was a dry ride with some lovely views.

IMG_20170501_093438.jpg

IMG_20170501_102614.jpg

IMG_20170501_110401.jpg

Cowslips and in the hedges, lovely! I didn't get a pic of the flowers though as I was struggling up hills and couldn't stop. Foraged some wild garlic, stopped for a flapjack & drink, then headed for home. Aching now but pleased.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was 'up the dale' from my static caravan in north Yorkshire.

Wensleydale is the dale in question, and given the constant ups and downs it's a job for my ebike, currently resident in the caravan.

Within a few hundred yards I'm on a climb which qualifies for a black arrow or two on the Ordnance Survey map.

That done, it's 'undulating' to my target destination of Masham.

As you can see, most people on two wheels around here have much bigger motors than me.

P1000438.JPG

I had my usual delicious bacon and egg roll from the Bordar House cafe, which is just to the left of the pic.

One of the motorcyclists was doing the same, and we had a few words.

He was riding a 1,000cc Honda, not bad for an 83-year-old.

Very well spoken gent who it turned out was a former poultry producer who had retired after flogging a 400 acre farm near Thirsk, no doubt for a vast sum.

That was in 1989, but he was still bitter about the Inland Revenue who he said 'raided' his house looking for Old Master paintings, which they were convinced he was collecting to avoid tax.

A lot of money, or should I say 'brass' in this part of the world.

The Ducati on the right of the pic was a 16-reg and would probably have cost more than £12,000.

Chat completed, I nipped round to the Co-op for a pint of milk before setting off back to the caravan.

Some rain on the return, but at least it was fairly warm.

About 19 miles, and as Magnus Magnusson could have said 'no (close) passes'.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel

Wensleydale is the dale in question, and given the constant ups and downs it's a job for my ebike, currently resident in the caravan.

I'll look out for you when I'm out on the road, @Pale Rider (either on the bike or in my car) ! I was riding in Wensleydale myself this morning and drove along Wensleydale and Swaledale this afternoon before going for a meal in West Witton. Will decide on the toss of a coin whether to do Richmond or Coverdale tomorrow morning (very early). I'll keep a lookout this week for anyone finding it suspiciously easy on the hills.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Within a few hundred yards I'm on a climb which qualifies for a black arrow or two on the Ordnance Survey map.

That done, it's 'undulating' to my target destination of Masham.

As you can see, most people on two wheels around here have much bigger motors than me.

View attachment 350384
I had my usual delicious bacon and egg roll from the Bordar House cafe, which is just to the left of the pic.

One of the motorcyclists was doing the same, and we had a few words.

He was riding a 1,000cc Honda, not bad for an 83-year-old.

Very well spoken gent who it turned out was a former poultry producer who had retired after flogging a 400 acre farm near Thirsk, no doubt for a vast sum.

That was in 1989, but he was still bitter about the Inland Revenue who he said 'raided' his house looking for Old Master paintings, which they were convinced he was collecting to avoid tax.

A lot of money, or should I say 'brass' in this part of the world.

The Ducati on the right of the pic was a 16-reg and would probably have cost more than £12,000.

Chat completed, I nipped round to the Co-op for a pint of milk before setting off back to the caravan.

Some rain on the return, but at least it was fairly warm.

About 19 miles, and as Magnus Magnusson could have said 'no (close) passes'.
We have a caravan in Middleham, a beautiful part of England but cycling is pretty tough with all those hills.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After doing a bit of shopping this morning, then watching the rain clouds scudding across the sky, I decided to take a chance on a few miles this afternoon in my quest to find a new(ish) car.
As I'd fettled the old British Eagle, by changing the tubes & tyres, as the old ones were getting a bit shabby, and some general TLC with GT-85, I thought I'd give it some fresh air.

IMG_1494.JPG

After a mile or so around the town centre, I headed towards Wooton and Hardingstone before pushing into the headwind alongside the Washlands and home.

Missing all the rain, a pleasant, but breezy, 23 miles on the old Eagle, ready for a beer and dinner, with a couple of cars I fancy, spotted..

https://www.strava.com/activities/966188776

:smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'll look out for you when I'm out on the road, @Pale Rider (either on the bike or in my car) ! I was riding in Wensleydale myself this morning and drove along Wensleydale and Swaledale this afternoon before going for a meal in West Witton. Will decide on the toss of a coin whether to do Richmond or Coverdale tomorrow morning (very early). I'll keep a lookout this week for anyone finding it suspiciously easy on the hills.

Did you go to the Heifer in West Witton?

As regards the ride, I'd do Coverdale, properly remote although very up and down, even for around there.

We have a caravan in Middleham, a beautiful part of England but cycling is pretty tough with all those hills.

It is, realistically it's ebike-only territory for me.

I see a handful of club roadies, but hardly any leisure pootlers.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Dales bike centre in Fremington ( just outside Grinton) have a nice cafe if you are passing.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It was the Wensleydale Heifer in West Witton. Expensive but wonderful food. Saw the bike Centre near Grinton today from the car. Couldn't believe that climb over the "Cote de Grinton Moor" was only a Cat 3 in the 2015 TdF. I've ridden 3 climbs in the Alps that have been TdF Cat 1s, and that hill is up there with them for difficulty any day. If I feel better by the end of the week, I may just have a go at it, but I certainly won't be doing it without stopping!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It was the Wensleydale Heifer in West Witton. Expensive but wonderful food. Saw the bike Centre near Grinton today from the car. Couldn't believe that climb over the "Cote de Grinton Moor" was only a Cat 3 in the 2015 TdF. I've ridden 3 climbs in the Alps that have been TdF Cat 1s, and that hill is up there with them for difficulty any day. If I feel better by the end of the week, I may just have a go at it, but I certainly won't be doing it without stopping!

I've been to the Heifer a couple of times.

A real treat, as you say, although I found the food to be very rich so you need to be in full blow out mode to be up for it.

I've thought about a ride to the bike place at Grinton.

It would mean approaching from Leyburn, and clambering over whichever moor it is above Bolton Abbey.

Not something to be undertaken lightly, even on an ebike.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I've been to the Heifer a couple of times.

A real treat, as you say, although I found the food to be very rich so you need to be in full blow out mode to be up for it.

I've thought about a ride to the bike place at Grinton.

It would mean approaching from Leyburn, and clambering over whichever moor it is above Bolton Abbey.

Not something to be undertaken lightly, even on an ebike.
I've ridden Middleham up to Leyburn then onto Grinton Moor past the Army firing ranges (a bit of climbing but not too bad) then down into Grinton, coffee at The Dales Bike centre (Reeth is worth a little look, cafe there too), head back to Grinton and follow the road by the River Swale all the way to Richmond (a bit lumpy but not hilly).

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've ridden Middleham up to Leyburn then onto Grinton Moor past the Army firing ranges (a bit of climbing but not too bad) then down into Grinton, coffee at The Dales Bike centre (Reeth is worth a little look, cafe there too), head back to Grinton and follow the road by the River Swale all the way to Richmond (a bit lumpy but not hilly).

Good point, approaching via the Garrison would be the (relatively) flatter route, although I reckon a bit busier for motor traffic.

The army lost a chopper up there a few years ago.

And I've still never seen a tank, despite all the turning/parking spaces at junctions.

Katherine

Guru
Feeling tired and achey and accomplished. Another century ride today, this time with the club. What a difference riding with a group makes. Bit windy and dark clouds with some spitty rain this morning. Lunch at the Winsford garden centre where I had Staffordshire oat cakes for the first time.. Rather good. Then a lovely sunny afternoon. The ride finished at the pub, where the first half pint of Wainwright's did not touch the sides, so I was bought another pint! 100 miles around Cheshire is certainly not flat but the ups were rewarded with lovely downs. Lovely countryside, pretty villages with lots of new views to appreciate.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Good point, approaching via the Garrison would be the (relatively) flatter route, although I reckon a bit busier for motor traffic.

The army lost a chopper up there a few years ago.

And I've still never seen a tank, despite all the turning/parking spaces at junctions.
I didn't mean approach via Catterick Garrison, I was meaning passing the remote army firing ranges which are on The first part of Grinton moor itself. As you said Catterick Garrison is definitely busier and not as scenic.
I've not seen a tank for many years but they used to be really common place.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I didn't mean approach via Catterick Garrison, I was meaning passing the remote army firing ranges which are on The first part of Grinton moor itself. As you said Catterick Garrison is definitely busier and not as scenic.
I've not seen a tank for many years but they used to be really common place.

I think I grasp it - only one black arrow against on the OS map which isn't so bad.

My new motorcycling friend said he'd been to a cafe earlier at Bellerby, which I may have seen passing in the car.

If I recall, it's in farm buildings and there's also a motorcycle repair business there.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think I grasp it - only one black arrow against on the OS map which isn't so bad.

My new motorcycling friend said he'd been to a cafe earlier at Bellerby, which I may have seen passing in the car.

If I recall, it's in farm buildings and there's also a motorcycle repair business there.
Yes I cycle from Richmond through Bellerby and back to Middleham and I have seen the farm,cafe, repair business but never stopped for a brew.

Top Bottom