Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I will be upping the efforts soon to prepare for the Sportive in June, decided to do an FTP test today.
Did just over 20 minutes before the test, and fairly hard to ensure I was warmed up, then went up and down Thorpe bypass as hard as I could

Result FTP 176W, not much but an improvement over last two months (not surprising since I was coming back after lay off)

Overall 21.73 miles @ 17.8 mph
Not much climbing just motorway bridges

19 mph during the hard effort not bad as one way was into the wind

https://www.strava.com/activities/968850205

Last edited:
@CarlP - great minds etc etc etc. :thumbsup: As soon as I saw that bike I thought of Hopless and Hill Wimp too. And that's before I saw the caption. :laugh:

Need to persuade my parental unit to make me one of those as she's rather into crochet too. :whistle:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A few days off work so decided to get out and get the May imperial century done. Also decided to go tick off some more explorer squares at the same time.

Weather forecast was for it to be cloudy and windy but not particularly cold.

Set off under the cloud and I headed roughly east for the first 25 miles and with a north westerly wind it was pretty easy going, the sun even made an appearance for an hour or so and I thought I was going to have an easy day, but then I turned and for the next 60 miles I was pretty much either going north or east and it was stupidly hard work. By the time I got to the cafe stop I was completely cream crackered.

A 20 minute rest with a cup of tea, can of coke and large slice of cake and I was ready to go. The last 25 miles were very easy as I headed either south or west thought the cloud was getting darker and it looked like it wanted to rain, however I arrived home dry.

. A tad under 112 miles done and 35 more squares ticked off, still on 18x18 square but today's ride was more about expanding one corner of my square for future growth. Eddington number now up to 99 as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/969052021

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I got almost no riding in last week, so I'm trying to ramp up a bit this week - at the moment all miles are good miles. I'm doing some training today and tomorrow at our Horsley training centre, so I got up early enough to ride out from Guildford. This was on my hack ex-mountain bike, slightly souped up with commuting tyres, a rack and a dynohub. About 10 miles
upload_2017-5-3_18-53-2.png

Despite appearances I didn't go on the A3. In fact apart from short stretches at the beginning, middle and end it was entirely off-road. I have previously done this on a Brompton....

I'll see how I feel tomorrow about doing it one or both ways. I'm there again next week, so might do the same again.

Here's the obligatory photo for this time of year of some bluebells.
big.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Traded my Dawes, a good bike, just about an inch or so too small, for a Schwinn Mirada, just about the right size, came with the rack, and a set of shifters that may allow conversion to a drop bar tourer. A good and hearty 12 miles into University to run errands for Mrs.GA and get an ankle brace to assuage a symptom of my present ailment. I also perused chocolates in the CVS before heading home. Cloudy, but no rain, I've been able to ride between the torrents here in the rainy season in the States. I only saw one other cyclist on the trail in town, same older fellow as I usually see, and another fellow on a ten-speed racer nearer home, after the uphill slog. A good, though cool day for a ride, and the Mirada worked out well also.
52F,11C
Winds SE10
Relative humidity 64%
Barometer 30.09 1021.7mb

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yorkshire Dales. Day 4, Ride 3. Recovering nicely from saddle soreness, but my cold is as thick as ever. Never mind. Made the most of the glorious sunshine and took the opportunity to ride around here while I can. Started off heading out Northwestwards from Leyburn up the Moor Road up to Leyburn Moor. In amongst the unusual bird noises, I started to hear a "twang, twang, twang" sound, and pulled over to check I hadn't got a loose spoke. Turns out it was the red flag flapping against a flagpole on the army firing range! Headed on over Grinton Moor, accompanied by bunnies, grouse, plover, curlew and oystercatchers.
92 The Moor Road.JPG

What a wonderfully wild and scenic place it is. As I was nearing the top of the climb, a bus full of squaddies arrived for rifle practice, and someone in a Landrover drove around raising all the red warning flags. A cue for me not to hang around.
94 Grinton Moor.JPG

What a fantastic descent into Grinton. In this picture you can see the village of Reeth (just above Grinton on the North side of Swaledale) and the road climbing up to the desolate valley of Arkengarthdale up towards the remote Tan Hill Inn (of Dick Turpin fame).
96.JPG

A selfie of sorts:
97.JPG

And a forced smile selfie:
98.JPG

Turned right at Grinton and had a pleasant little ride along the South bank of the Swale before turning towards Stainton and past some nice bluebell woods. I was having too much fun to turn back for Leyburn just yet, so I did a by-passing loop out towards Catterick Camp and back via Hauxwell, Finghall and Harmby. Here I encountered one or two solo cyclists and this little group. The area to the SE of Leyburn looked like perfect cycling country to me. Very quiet roads and gently undulating, rather than hilly.
101 Cyclists near Finghall.JPG
Made my way at comfortable tourist pace back into Leyburn via Harmby (using a bit of local knowledge I had picked up the other day, and avoiding a steep little pitch up from Spennithorne). Completed the loop when I arrived back at Moor Road in Leyburn:
103 Leyburn. End of Loop.JPG
.... leaving only one last climb back into the housing estate.
Another brilliant ride today. So glad I didn't sit around feeling sorry for myself. I always reckon you just have to play the cards you have been dealt. Turns out I had an ace up my sleeve today. What great cycling country, and what superb weather. 27.1 miles today.
Can't wait to get back out there. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Ide Hill/Toys Hill

48.75km +800m

2hrs36,IF 0.77 (A bit higher than I was targeting)

IMG_8240.JPG
IMG_8242.JPG

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Another ride for me today! That's 3 this week already! Only just under 10 miles but I managed to get right into the moors....the perks of living on the edge of town :smile:
I'd strapped the new 38c Voyager Hypers on this morning and planned a route that took in a lane I'd never before used and an trail up the side of Winter Hill that I hadn't used in a good 12 or so years and was last ridden on a mountain bike....today would be interesting.
Leaving the house and making my way to the main road was lightning fast (OK 20mph :tongue: ) thanks to a nice tail wind.
Boot Lane was a pleasant surprise as while it is literally 0.7 of a mile from home, it felt like I was right in the countryside. There's even a farm next to it.
Turning right off that it was uphill for a while, across the main road and onto another country lane-ish type of road where I faced a little more climbing and a not-too-strong headwind. After a short downhill I turned left onto Edge Lane and some serious (to me) climbing.
Before I'd reached the first bend my MP3 play list had finished and I couldn't be ar**ed finding another one so the earphones were packed away and I enjoyed the piece and quiet that is "middle of nowhere" silence. Wind and a couple squawking crows...that's about it.
Bend after bend after climb after climb followed (I friggin hate climbing!) but the views were becoming more and more spectacular. One of the joys of being high up.

20170504_112624.jpg
20170504_112656.jpg Still more climbing to come. Grrr.

3.5miles into my outing and I was about to enter off roading country. Woohoo! I'd brought the wrong bike! Whoa! But god I was loving it. The bike was bouncing all over the place. The tyres slipping and sliding everywhere. The wind trying to pick me up and take me away. WTF??? Where did that wind come from? All of a sudden I was very much aware that the breeze formerly pushing me along was now a fricken hurricane and at one point while I was trying to take that all so important pic, I was standing with my feet apart struggling to stay upright. I had to lay the bike on the ground as it literally wouldn't stay upright on its stand.
20170504_113731.jpg
20170504_114029.jpg
As I rode further the trail got bumpier and soon I was navigating my way around fist sized rocks. Nothing to your average fat tyred rig but bloody rough to a touring bike. One couple who were walking their dog moved to the side for me and as I passed, I thanked them and said "Shoulda bought a mountain bike!" I'm sure I heard them laugh. :smile:
Eventually I reached the transmitter tower service road and started the long slow slog up to the Manx Air disaster memorial. Once there, I sat down and stuffed my face with a Kelloggs Strawberry Nutrigrain bar and a Mars bar. Good honest down to earth health food. As I munched away, I pondered how I was to make my way back down the road. The wind was really strong up here and whilst it was a tail wind of sorts, the road was bendy. The wind would inevitably hit me from the side at some point. I wondered how the emergency services would find my mangled body in the long moorland grass. Maybe my recently polished stem would reflect the sunlight? Unless the bike was mangled too. Jeez what a thought!
I set off and within a few pedal strokes was freewheeling along at 20 odd mph. 25 came. 30 came. 32.5 came. I chickened out as the bike was all over the place and I slammed the brakes on. 15mph was sane.
I reached the bottom and got back onto the main road home. Via a detour along Boot Lane :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The ankle is still swollen and technicolour too but with exercise I've got much of the movement back. So time to test it on the bike. I loosened the cleat tension on the pedal and opened up the laces on my shoe so my oversize foot would fit and headed out. The plan was to do a shortish one but brain nav crashed. By the time it rebooted I was on the Ashleworth run. What the heck - I just kept going anyway.

The wind helped on the way south but hindered heading north. Sunshine made it all worthwhile. The ankle seemed to behave quite well but unclipping was a bit tricky. I decided to stop for a rest at Forthampton and couldn't unclip. I kept rolling on until I got my foot unclipped. That ankle rotation is uncomfortable when attempting to put some force into it. The headwind was severe from Longdon to Tunnel Hill. I was glad to get back into the shelter of the lanes. A bit more headwind awaited my final few miles but I was pleased with the ankle test. It looks like it has held up fine. 43 smiles (more than I'd planned!)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
upload_2017-5-4_19-59-48.png

Out to Horsley again.

And back again via the polling station...
upload_2017-5-4_20-0-50.png

The ride back to Guildford is downhill just about all the way, but the buggers have put the polling station three-quarters of the way up a steep hill, on a one-way street. I regained just about all the height I'd lost, and ended up walking down the hill.

Top Bottom