Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.relive.cc/view/970873718

I went for a little Jolly up some hills, and into the countryside.

IMG_4259.JPG

The bike with the Tannus tyres

IMG_4262.JPG

Fields.

IMG_4263.JPG

More fields.

IMG_4264.JPG

St Barnabas Church.

IMG_4267.JPG

Fascinating place.

Nice evening for a ride:bicycle::thumbsup:

Rode to the polling station at tea time and cast my votes. :smile: Returning officer admired my bike. :girldance: Then I pedalled off, tourist pace, on my usual 14 mile loop via Way Head, Coveney, Ely and Downham.

First time I've been on the bike since my bout of sinusitis. Felt good to be back out after three weeks of the lurgies. :dance: Loads of conker trees in bloom, bluebells and forget-me-nots are doing fabby in the verges, the oil seed rape blossom smells fantastic and those periwinkles near Isle Vets are still flowering. Loads of pheasants in the fields and almost I flattened a suicidal chicken on a downhill stretch... :blink:

Was beautiful and sunny when I started out, but the further I went the colder, greyer and windier it got. Rode most of the stretch between Coveney and Ely on the drops and in the granny gears. :blush: Was blowing a right hoolie by the time I got home, but made it back just as it started to rain. :rain:

A bit :heat: now, but easily remedied by a judicious dosing of things chocolatey. :hungry:

cubey

Über Member
A quick outing before work and the rush hour traffic, still caught some of it though even at 7.30:angry: Lovely bright and brisk morning, the gales from yesterday have gone.:ohmy:

5th-May.jpg

Had a rest at the top of the Haigh rd climb, a few admirers of the CUbe, me thinks.^_^

IMG-20170505-064121-HDR.jpg
"I cannot believe your running Continentals there..............!"

Pretty much a training ride this morning with the idea of spending different times in different zones
Ths was not made easier by the gusting winds

The route was made up, did a pretty normal ride to Lightwater, this time managing to avoid the main road, back to Chertsey and Looping twice to Thorpe and Virginia Water, and for good measure went to Shepperton and back on the way back

First hour was zone 2 then mixed 2 and 3 with recoveries and some zone 4 then thrown in

Did 46.56 miles @ 16.0 mph, not bad when there was so much wind and serveral recovery periods

Rolling hilly route, 1395 feet climbed.

The last road back was so easy with the wind, if I had been fresher I would have attacked the Strava KOM time,

Strava website playing up a bit, had to manuall upload it

https://www.strava.com/activities/971932644/

Still it was fine throughout and had shorts back on today

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Remember in Mondays ride report that I said I'd got a few days off this week, so was looking to get some time on the bike?
Well today is Friday and I've just been out on my first ride since posting that....:rolleyes: Who'd make plans, eh? :laugh:

A bit time limited, so it was never going to be an epic ride and although the weather looked lovely through the window there was a fair breeze blowing, which was right in my face as I ploughed the familiar furrow up Coal Road. Lots more cars about at 9am during the week too...:whistle:
Anyhow, right onto Skeltons Lane and a bit of respite from the howling wind behind the hedges and making much better progress, until about two thirds of the way along where temporary traffic lights stopped the fun.
Eventually through and left for the descent down Sandhills (Van Zyl Hill) into Thorner, back into the wind. Anyone who knows this hill will know that despite the lumpy road surface, on a normal day you could freewheel down the hill and still be topping 30mph by the bottom. Today I was pedalling and just keeping above 20mph...:surrender:
Through the village with the slight climb onto Main Street, past the church and onto Milner Lane for the climb onto the ridge and back into the wind, mercifully mainly sheltered behind the sturdy hedges on either side of the road.
Carried on to East Rigton, then Rigton Green and up onto Bramham Lane.
You might also remember how I've commented previously about this often deserted lane through the countryside? Well today it was the busiest I've ever seen it. First it was a rambler, then a bloke jogging, then two very cheerful female joggers, then another female runner - pushing a double buggy with little ones in, then a horse rider and finally as I approached Thorner Lane, a pair of dog walkers to complete the set ^_^
Right at the junction and back along to Milner Lane, to retrace my outbound route, but now with the wind at my back which was much more fun.
Stopped about half way along for a drink and a couple of photos:
IMG_20170505_100047103.jpg

IMG_20170505_095445663_BURST000_COVER.jpg

(After taking this photo, I laid the bike down on the grass as it was constantly wobbling and in danger of getting blown over)
IMG_20170505_100033320_HDR.jpg

Refreshed it was back in the saddle and on along the ridge, then down into Thorner and back along Main Street, deciding to bite the bullet and tackle the climb up Sandhills with the wind at my back, which was still an effort but much better than it usually is. :smile:
Negotiated the road works on Skeltons Lane again, then Coal Road and local roads down to home, all with the wind at my back again :hyper:

14.06 miles (22.62km) in a steady 1h 2m at an average of 13.5mph, with a devilish 666ft climbed

Good to get out and quite a few cyclists out despite the time, although the pollen count is playing havoc with my hayfever this year and I'm paying for each ride.

And lastly, a map:
05052017.JPG

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I had great plans of doing one of the HDW routes I missed over the past few weeks, but none seemed to fit with the prevailing strong and gusty wind, so I just followed my nose. Cracking pace for the first 25 miles or so, and it became apparent why when I got back to WGP. Nasty headwind most of the way home. Passed my regular recumbent trike rider at the side of the road just inside the park, was going to ask if he was OK then realised he was sat in the trike reading a book in the sunshine! What a great way to spend a morning. Passing Lyne on the way home spotted a chap walking his bike along so swung road to see if I could help, turns out chain broken and he'd left tools at home. Offered to assist as I carry chain link extractor and spare links etc, but gent was only half a mile from home so was happy to walk.
Nice to get out in shorts and sleeves, and great in the sunshine. 40 miles done, think that's going to be the longest this weekend as apparently I have some work in the garden, another week when I'm off on Sunday, but not going to be going on a Club ride...

Old jon

Guru
A ride of two days, for a change, the 3rd and 4th of May. Someone suggested riding a part of the Way of the Roses. I have never knowingly ridden any of it, because I did not know it was there, a sad lack in my education which I was keen to rectify. So I started here:--

20170503_085002.jpg

So off we went. We did, but my Garmin did not ‘cos I neglected to start it until we had covered a fair stretch of road from Harrogate railway station. Mug! So, a bit of town riding, the Nidderdale Greenway, up past the Gardners and along that road / shared path to Knaresborough. Cross the Nidd, there is a bridge provided, up the hill and I think out along the Boroughbridge road to the left turn for Farnham, where a right turn gives another hill to climb. Continue to Arkendale, and on to Marton,, a stretch of the B 6265 until the left turn for Great Ouseburn. Cross the river on the Aldwark toll bridge, a first crossing in mumbletylotsof years for me. Linton on Ouse next, through Newton on the same river and on to Beningbrough Hall and its Farm Shop and café. Grub and a drink, just after moving off we sighted bluebells. Photographs were taken.
Bluebells:--
20170503_141242.jpg

And the bikes leaning haphazardly . . .

20170503_141430.jpg

Eventually, off we pedalled again, Shipton by Beningbrough being the next village on the way, followed by Overton and a very pleasant traffic free ride past Rawcliffe alongside the river most of the way into York. We had sort of thought to travel a little further on the first day’s ride, but an inspired bit of navigating had us facing the Gillygate pub shortly after the first sight of the old walls, so we took the hint, went in, and arranged a room for the night. Excellent in all respects, they even conspired to let us win fourth place in the pub quiz later in the evening, after we had sampled some of the wares of other beer providers in York . . .

The sun rose. So did we, a little later than that. And off we rode, still heading about east and with no firm destination, just ride the Way of the Roses until we decided not to. The wind was a bit on the strong side of things, and a bit of a headwind into a poor bargain. That is over egging it a bit, there was a breeze, but not one of those where you have to pedal downhill. Mostly.
The morning was a bit like this

Evidence of the breeze, if anyone can see what little hair I have.

IMG-20170505-WA0004.jpg

I have just looked at the map provided by Garmin. Murton, Dunnington and Gate Helmsley, I must have blinked there, ‘cos I cannot remember it. Stamford Bridge, the approach was rather good, it seems to be the old railway line, ending at the Station House, a pub these days. We rode on, still on the paper map Way of the Roses, and the next place of any size was Pocklington. Again, good, easy and quiet riding, there is a bit of unsurfaced track in there, road tyres in anything but dry conditions would be um, interesting. After eating, oh, and drinking, this was when we turned around. No particular reason, and we will finish this some time, hopefully in less windy conditions. It was a much swifter ride back to York, over the same route with one minor detour when we both missed seeing a sign. Sort of incredible, that, just demonstrates that roads are different in opposite directions.

Opposite direction,

A gentle couple of days riding, loads and loads of fun, and more to look forward to when we return. A bit short of seventy miles, which was plenty for this pannier novice. The Garmin has little to say about the vertical component of the rides, so I will say nowt at all. Except, how good it all was.
Maps, I almost forgot

03052017 Morning.jpg

03052017 PM.jpg

The afternoon was the same, with a minor detour

04052017 AM.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I managed to bag the early Friday management finish from work, for a rare change, and with glorious sunshine it was time to give my new carbon racer its first proper ride :hyper:. The only downside was a ridiculous strong wind gusting to 35 mph in places :eek:

I set off down to the local maze of roadworks and had a good test of my handling skills on the new bike, with plastic ramps, paths that have channels of sand and gravel in them and a multitude of metal fences to weave through, but all negotiated fine.

Heading through Meole village I had a stupid woman pull out of a road straight in front of me, forcing an emergency stop :cursing:, oh well at least I've practiced a quick reach for the brakes from the drop bars!

I then turned onto the very busy road to Annscroft, but with the wind behind me I cruised along really nicely and started to get usd to the Campagnolo gear set. It quickly became evident that the lightness of the bike easily makes up for the smaller gear range and the hills were far easier than on my Hybrid ^_^.

I turned into the wind to head through Exfords Green and over to dads. It was like someone had put a brick wall in front of me, boy that was a wind for May, both sustained at about 20mph and gusting over 30mph according to the Met Office. However the drop bar position really does makes it easier to push against the wind and I arrived at dads with Strava PB's on all 6 segments so far ^_^

I couldn't find dad anywhere, despite both cars being there, so a quick text message determined he was up the road at a neighbours, having been mowing her lawn for her and so he nipped back to see me and have a chat.

I then set off again over to Ryton and Longnor, with wind at the side of me here and the gaps in the hedges were "interesting" on a lighter bike :eek:

Still, 2 more Strava PB's were set and I then turned back into the wind for the remainder of the ride. First was the section to Frodesley, then the speedy section to Acton Burnell and Pitchford, where I was cruising nicely but the wind was tempering what the new bike will offer me in terms of speed.

On the quickest section I had a bit of a moment when rounding a corner to find an ambulance across the road, with blue's and two's flashing, reversing into the driveway of a house. Quick bit of braking needed. Hope it wasn't too serious for the casualty :sad:

Continued on to Cantlop, Betton and home, having really enjoyed the new ride on the bike.

20.8 miles and with no speedo on this bike I wasn't sure what the average speed would be. It felt quicker than on my hybrid, despite the wind and indeed Strava tells me the average was 13.6mph, easily my quickest ever and now looking forward to a calmer day to open it out a bit more!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well, I suppose it had to happen - sooner or later. And Sod's Law dictates that if it is going to happen, it will happen on a ride like this one. I had driven over to Reeth, planning to ride the length of Arkengarthdale .... over the moors and up to the desolate and windswept Tan Hill Inn and back, pushing off at about 08:30 with very few people about, even in Reeth. Having not seen a single vehicle, and just over half way to Tan Hill I had my first serious mechanical out on the road for a couple of years. Soon after cresting a short "20%" dip near the hamlet of Whaw, I heard that horrible sound of a chain snapping, and I came to a halt with my feet spinning. :banghead:
109.JPG

If anyone can think of a more isolated, remote and inconvenient place to break a chain, I'm all ears. Not a house for miles around and nobody else about. If I couldn't fix it myself at the roadside, I was in for a 7 mile walk. Fortunately, when a clubmate of mine recently had a chain break on him, the realisation that I didn't carry a spare 9 speed link troubled me, and I rushed out and bought a two pack of them. Not one to want to leave anything to chance, I also always carry a heavy tub of tools with me at all times, and this includes a chain splitter and a pair of pliers. I had to dredge up the know-how from somewhere deep in my memory bank and remember/work out how to get the chain back on and replace the broken link. I found myself a patch of grass with no sheep droppings on it, and after half an hour of muttering and oily trial and error it was fixed. Shiny new link now installed. I was really quite pleased with myself.:dance:
110.JPG

Learning point, folks .... Never head off anywhere really remote on your own without making sure you have all the necessary tools with you. I would have been stuffed if I'd not taken chain splitters, pliers and spare links with me. Never saw another soul until two cyclists came by 5 minutes after I finished my repair! I also found it useful to carry a pack of wet wipes with me, as my hands were black and sticky when I had finished.

Some of you may know the Tan Hill Inn as the hideout where they finally caught the highwayman Dick Turpin .... others may know it for a certain TV ad for Everest Double Glazing back in the 1960's featuring Ted Moult and a feather. Either way, I'm glad I saw it the other day, because I didn't get within 3 miles of the place this time. Once I'd done the repair, I resisted the urge to chicken out and head back towards civilisation, and carried on up for another mile or so until time dictated that I called a halt to it, and I found a recognisable point on the map to turn back (an old stone bridge just before a steep climb shown on the map I had studied back at the holiday house). I turned around, preparing to slog my way back over the undulating road into a stiff wind. Must admit, it was quite a shock just how stiff the wind was. It was giving me a right buffeting and making my jersey and my helmet straps flutter loudly. That was quite a slog. :sweat: Anyway, made it back to Reeth and shot through, past the Dales Bike Centre and Cafe, across the Swale and on to Grinton. That joined up the dots on the map with my other rides, so I turned back and slogged my way back up the hill to Reeth, where I had parked my car by the village green. Only 17.7 miles for me today in my fourth Yorkshire Dales ride, but absolutely loved the scenery .... and, in a strange way, the adventure too. Enough talk . Now some pictures:
(1) Reeth village green (payment for parking by way of an honesty box):
104 Reeth.JPG

(2) Last bit of civilisation for a while. The beautiful Arkengarthdale valley, most northerly of the Yorkshire Dales:
106.JPG

(3) The scene of my mechanical .... complete with audience of sheep.
111.JPG

(4) My turning point, about 8 miles up the valley, and about 3 miles short of the Tan Hill Inn, (probably visible from just over the next brow):
112.JPG

(5) Gratuitous selfie, feeling chuffed after fixing the bike:
113.JPG

(6) The bridge over the Swale, Grinton:
116 Bridge over the Swale, Grinton.JPG
Let's hope the chain holds out tomorrow. can do without any repeats. Last ride in the Dales for me in the morning, and I just can't decide whether to repeat something I loved first time out or to try somewhere new. Decisions, decisions. By 'eck it's grand round these parts.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Well, I suppose it had to happen - sooner or later. And Sod's Law dictates that if it is going to happen, it will happen on a ride like this one. I had driven over to Reeth, planning to ride the length of Arkengarthdale .... over the moors and up to the desolate and windswept Tan Hill Inn and back, pushing off at about 08:30 with very few people about, even in Reeth. Having not seen a single vehicle, and just over half way to Tan Hill I had my first serious mechanical out on the road for a couple of years. Soon after cresting a short "20%" dip near the hamlet of Whaw, I heard that horrible sound of a chain snapping, and I came to a halt with my feet spinning. :banghead:
View attachment 350940
If anyone can think of a more isolated, remote and inconvenient place to break a chain, I'm all ears. Not a house for miles around and nobody else about. If I couldn't fix it myself at the roadside, I was in for a 7 mile walk. Fortunately, when a clubmate of mine recently had a chain break on him, the realisation that I didn't carry a spare 9 speed link troubled me, and I rushed out and bought a two pack of them. Not one to want to leave anything to chance, I also always carry a heavy tub of tools with me at all times, and this includes a chain splitter and a pair of pliers. I had to dredge up the know-how from somewhere deep in my memory bank and remember/work out how to get the chain back on and replace the broken link. I found myself a patch of grass with no sheep droppings on it, and after half an hour of muttering and oily trial and error it was fixed. Shiny new link now installed. I was really quite pleased with myself.:dance:
View attachment 350941
Learning point, folks .... Never head off anywhere really remote on your own without making sure you have all the necessary tools with you. I would have been stuffed if I'd not taken chain splitters, pliers and spare links with me. Never saw another soul until two cyclists came by 5 minutes after I finished my repair! I also found it useful to carry a pack of wet wipes with me, as my hands were black and sticky when I had finished.

Some of you may know the Tan Hill Inn as the hideout where they finally caught the highwayman Dick Turpin .... others may know it for a certain TV ad for Everest Double Glazing back in the 1960's featuring Ted Moult and a feather. Either way, I'm glad I saw it the other day, because I didn't get within 3 miles of the place this time. Once I'd done the repair, I resisted the urge to chicken out and head back towards civilisation, and carried on up for another mile or so until time dictated that I called a halt to it, and I found a recognisable point on the map to turn back (an old stone bridge just before a steep climb shown on the map I had studied back at the holiday house). I turned around, preparing to slog my way back over the undulating road into a stiff wind. Must admit, it was quite a shock just how stiff the wind was. It was giving me a right buffeting and making my jersey and my helmet straps flutter loudly. That was quite a slog. :sweat: Anyway, made it back to Reeth and shot through, past the Dales Bike Centre and Cafe, across the Swale and on to Grinton. That joined up the dots on the map with my other rides, so I turned back and slogged my way back up the hill to Reeth, where I had parked my car by the village green. Only 17.7 miles for me today in my fourth Yorkshire Dales ride, but absolutely loved the scenery .... and, in a strange way, the adventure too. Enough talk . Now some pictures:
(1) Reeth village green (payment for parking by way of an honesty box):
View attachment 350936
(2) Last bit of civilisation for a while. The beautiful Arkengarthdale valley, most northerly of the Yorkshire Dales:
View attachment 350937
(3) The scene of my mechanical .... complete with audience of sheep. View attachment 350938
(4) My turning point, about 8 miles up the valley, and about 3 miles short of the Tan Hill Inn, (probably visible from just over the next brow):
View attachment 350939
(5) Gratuitous selfie, feeling chuffed after fixing the bike:
View attachment 350943
(6) The bridge over the Swale, Grinton:
View attachment 350944 Let's hope the chain holds out tomorrow. can do without any repeats. Last ride in the Dales for me in the morning, and I just can't decide whether to repeat something I loved first time out or to try somewhere new. Decisions, decisions. By 'eck it's grand round these parts.
Cheers, Donger.
A like for persevering and overcoming the obstacle!!

https://www.relive.cc/view/972287019

Somehow, the weather forecasters missed a force 8 storm today, had I had any idea how strong the winds were going to be I doubt I'd have gone up Portsdown hill:eek:. It was so windy I had to duck onto the frame and hope that the passing traffic worked out the strength of the gusts. The wind aside, a nice little ride out today all in all.

IMG_4271.JPG

They didn't dare lay the furniture out, outside today, so I sheltered in the cafe, indoors.

IMG_4272.JPG

I was just a bit relieved to get off of the hill, so I had a beer to calm my nerves.

IMG_4276.JPG

This picture makes it look calm, it was blowing an absolute hooley at this point, but fortunately
I only had 12 miles to get home.

That was a hell of a ride, somehow I got home in one piece, no thanks to the useless weather forecasters.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
*yesterday's ride*

A friend of mine challenged me to do the longest ride I've ever done, with him. Challenge accepted. 08:00 we left and hit the canals, the first stretch from Walsall all the way to Darlaston has been resurfaced and had horrible pebble dash stuff put over it which slowed us down a bit and made for a little fun coming down over bridges. After Darlaston, it was the usual stuff, potholed and covered with glass :rolleyes: It was like that all the way up to great bridge. We eventually got to Oldbury and had to decide which way to go, Birmingham or Wolverhampton. Wolverhampton it was. Got into Wolverhampton at a total of 16.8 miles, Didn't want to turn around until we got to 25 miles. Out of Wolverhampton and onto the Shropshire Union Mainline Canal. We hit 25 miles as we got near Brewood. Stopped as soon as his phone said 25 miles, Had lunch and headed back the same way we came. We got some "lovely" views on the way back, Some teenagers partaking in the smoking of weed, Somebody shooting up and Mercedes Taquisha Ganeesha the 3rd being created by some chavs under a bridge xx(:laugh:

A total of 50 miles for the day, the longest ride I've ever done. I got home, had a shower and slept from 18:00 until 07:00 this morning :laugh:
18319413_146883045850383_4841745252494760179_o.jpg

bridge.png

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
43 miles earlier this morning rode across to the Northampton end of the Brampton Valley line just out side Boughton

IMG_20170506_055313546.jpg

And of i went complete with my old faithful Marin Bear Valley mtb

IMG_20170506_055326619.jpg

First time i have done the whole route having walked a few miles of it

As you can see you pass quite close to the stretch of track that is used by the Museum

IMG_20170506_055915115_HDR.jpg

its not the best scenery along the way especially when its grey drizzly day

IMG_20170506_061235699.jpg

Path is passable just a bit pot holed in the 2 tunnels so lights on going through them

IMG_20170506_064207472.jpg

Even found this Bluebell wood just after the A14 underpass

IMG_20170506_063402713_HDR.jpg

A quick rest before the first tunnel

IMG_20170506_064412307.jpg

Loads of benches en route mostly dedicated to somebody

IMG_20170506_062520508.jpg

Quite a few moziac pictures along the way

IMG_20170506_062759181.jpg
IMG_20170506_063106137.jpg

Came back via roads taking in Hannington , Foxwell ,Orlingbury and home via the mad mile all at an average of 15 mph

Last edited:
Top Bottom