Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
The forecast today wasn't at all promising, but in the end it was a fantastic day....hello Mr Blue Sky!:sun:.After Hawkvegas, I headed for Little Langdale via the Drunken Duck and Colwith, with a few minor climbs to warm up on before the biggie...Wrynose:training:-just a man and his will to survive:sweat:. After the likes of the Bealach Na Ba , Winnats and The Struggle, it didn't feel too painful, though it does save one of the,er, best bits till last. Such is the way of all things. Good luck to anyone doing the Fred Whitton next week and having to tackle Hardknott followed by the Big W after 100 odd miles. However today I was heading down Dunnerdale via Cockley Beck and after taking in the views it was time to whizz downhill in the sunshine. What goes up must come down!:reading:Dunnerdale is a lovely scenic quiet valley and gives you a new perspective on old favourites like the Coniston Fells and Harter Fell.
I stopped for a swift one at the Newfield Inn, Seathwaite (cheers:cheers:);after all after Wrynose I'd earned it. Kiln Bank took me back towards the A593 a few miles south of Torver, with a few chevrons to despatch on the way. , then I turned off towards Woodland and Subberthwaite Common. This is a steady climb with a few 16% or thereabouts sections,which is longer than Kiln Bank but less intense. A left turn took me towards Water Yeat and the foot of Coniston Water via a lot of gates (to keep our woolly friends from straying). The road up the east side of Coniston Water is always a pleasure to ride in either direction, especially on a sunny day-by now the sun was starting to break through the clouds again.. Who knows, maybe it might even warm up a bit every now and then. Oh yes, then another climb past Brantwood to meet the B road from Coniston to Hawkshead . Good thing I packed extra Jaffa cake bars:hungry:. Just a short sprint down the road past Knipe Fold,and after passing the Drunken Duck earlier in the afternoon, I wasn't about to pass it again. After a quick Catnap, I had an easy few miles home via Wray Castle, and the Windermere lakeside path. A few more gentle undulations;), but I'd done the hard part..... Bikeyaa!:dance:

Last edited:
I hadn't quite done enough cycling this past weekend, so in order to make amends, and get this month's imperial ton completed, simultaneously, I added this, yesterday.

https://www.relive.cc/view/966624942

120 odd miles, with over 5000 ft of climbing should do it.

IMG_4140.JPG

We went past here.

IMG_4147.JPG

Up here.

IMG_4145.JPG

And down here.

IMG_4035.JPG

53/39 chainset is perfect for going up hill a lot.

My phone didn't have any room for new pictures, so I used old photos of the same route, but other than that, the hail storm on the return leg, and one p*ncture, 9 ( mostly new to me ) riders, got their maiden 100 mile ride completed.
:bicycle::thumbsup:.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Feeling tired and achey and accomplished. Another century ride today, this time with the club. What a difference riding with a group makes. Bit windy and dark clouds with some spitty rain this morning. Lunch at the Winsford garden centre where I had Staffordshire oat cakes for the first time.. Rather good. Then a lovely sunny afternoon. The ride finished at the pub, where the first half pint of Wainwright's did not touch the sides, so I was bought another pint! 100 miles around Cheshire is certainly not flat but the ups were rewarded with lovely downs. Lovely countryside, pretty villages with lots of new views to appreciate.

Great effort @Katherine. Cheshire is surprisingly lumpy in places. In any case, 100 miles of any terrain is a real achievement

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Looking like it'll be a nice ride today :smile:

20170502_091755.jpg

Which it was!
Warm sunshine and little wind meant I had a ride which for the most part was done in short sleeves.
As I enjoyed Saturday's ride so much, I did it again but left out the Horwich back streets this time. I was running out of steam by the time I was on the return leg through Rivingtons lanes.
I was a bit slower today probably due to the new anti depressants but it meant I could enjoy the scenery more and as I made a few extra rest stops, the phone's camera was used more.
20170502_093023.jpg 20170502_103251.jpg 20170502_104054.jpg 20170502_104311.jpg 20170502_111714.jpg

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Unlucky. Those are all my local climbs. Joel Lane (the one to the top of Werneth Low) is a tough one but Longhurst Lane is really nice except the final kicker isn't it?

I do Gorsey Brow every now and then as it's only a couple of miles from me. One tip though...only do it on a dry, warm day. The steepest bit (and we're talking 25%) needs you to get out of the saddle. If it's damp you'll spin and it becomes a real struggle. One final tip for Gorsey Brow.....if you come from Charlesworth (as you were planning on doing) cycle past the turn off to GB for a bit, then turn around to get a run at the left turn. It starts v steep so a bit of momentum will help
All this talk of Gorsey Brow got me wondering where this fearful climb was. I know the road, have been down a couple times and don't remember it being anything impressive. Guess I know where I will be heading next time the opportunity arises......
You know I'm no great shakes as a climber right? Well I've done hill repeats on Gorsey Brow so it's not that hard. It's steep at the bottom but you're fresh...then there is a decent stretch of 10% where you can spin it up. The only hard bit is the very top where it's 25%. You'll have no problem

With the above posts still rattling around in my head this morning I decided to capitalise on the great weather, a bit of spare time and headed off to ride in the sunshine and bag some hills. After delivering my youngest lad to school by bicycle I then continued the ride, starting with an ascent of the west face of Hartshead Pike climbing up Lily Lanes which peaks at 12% gradient just by the old church. I skirted around the side of the actual summit then dropped back towards Ashton on Mossley Rd. My speed down here hit 40+ mph without much effort and this happened a few times during the ride, it really was a good day for going fast. From Ashton I climbed Crescent Rd towards Dukinfield and Hyde. There are easier ways into Hyde but it is a worthwhile urban climb if you are looking for a little workout while enroute.
In Hyde I made straight for Joel Lane. It's a hill I have done many times and holds no fear for me and today was no different, a pleasant climb with the sun shining, birds singing and drivers being considerate. Coming down the other side is much more fun though as Cowlishaw Rd has bits of 15% gradient with twists and turns to match :hyper:

From Compstall it was now just a simple matter of covering the miles up the Glossop Rd towards Charlesworth and Broadbottom to get to Gorsey Brow. The Glossop Rd has a bit of a reputation as a rat run but today the trip along here was pleasant and the few motorists that did pass me did so with due consideration. The views of the Etherow Valley as I rode along this stretch were quite spectacular in the sunshine and in my mind I was whisked away to some Italian hillside.
After a quick descent to the valley floor to cross the Etherow I was soon turning into Gorsey Brow and ignoring the advice of @nickyboy to pass the road and turn back I started the climb. I have to admit that I had skim-read the description of the climb and after the initial steep section was despatched I was comfortably climbing the easier bit wondering what all the fuss was about when the road began to steepen again. Boy did it get steep! On the lower sections I had kept a couple of gears in reserve but now it was time to flick the levers and press them into action. I was in no risk of grinding to a halt but I can imagine that for someone hitting that at the end of a long day and with no knowledge of how long it goes on for it would be very tempting to give in and stop.
Anyway, after the final small/easy climb over Mottram cutting I arrived back home with a pleasant 24 hilly miles under my belt having squeezed the ride in between my parenting duties and the long list of chores I am now grinding through.

I would rather be back out on my bike! :bicycle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
With the above posts still rattling around in my head this morning I decided to capitalise on the great weather, a bit of spare time and headed off to ride in the sunshine and bag some hills. After delivering my youngest lad to school by bicycle I then continued the ride, starting with an ascent of the west face of Hartshead Pike climbing up Lily Lanes which peaks at 12% gradient just by the old church. I skirted around the side of the actual summit then dropped back towards Ashton on Mossley Rd. My speed down here hit 40+ mph without much effort and this happened a few times during the ride, it really was a good day for going fast. From Ashton I climbed Crescent Rd towards Dukinfield and Hyde. There are easier ways into Hyde but it is a worthwhile urban climb if you are looking for a little workout while enroute.
In Hyde I made straight for Joel Lane. It's a hill I have done many times and holds no fear for me and today was no different, a pleasant climb with the sun shining, birds singing and drivers being considerate. Coming down the other side is much more fun though as Cowlishaw Rd has bits of 15% gradient with twists and turns to match :hyper:

From Compstall it was now just a simple matter of covering the miles up the Glossop Rd towards Charlesworth and Broadbottom to get to Gorsey Brow. The Glossop Rd has a bit of a reputation as a rat run but today the trip along here was pleasant and the few motorists that did pass me did so with due consideration. The views of the Etherow Valley as I rode along this stretch were quite spectacular in the sunshine and in my mind I was whisked away to some Italian hillside.
After a quick descent to the valley floor to cross the Etherow I was soon turning into Gorsey Brow and ignoring the advice of @nickyboy to pass the road and turn back I started the climb. I have to admit that I had skim-read the description of the climb and after the initial steep section was despatched I was comfortably climbing the easier bit wondering what all the fuss was about when the road began to steepen again. Boy did it get steep! On the lower sections I had kept a couple of gears in reserve but now it was time to flick the levers and press them into action. I was in no risk of grinding to a halt but I can imagine that for someone hitting that at the end of a long day and with no knowledge of how long it goes on for it would be very tempting to give in and stop.
Anyway, after the final small/easy climb over Mottram cutting I arrived back home with a pleasant 24 hilly miles under my belt having squeezed the ride in between my parenting duties and the long list of chores I am now grinding through.

I would rather be back out on my bike! :bicycle:

Well done @I like Skol . You should have said, I would have popped out with my cow bell to cheer you up the steep bit of Gorsey Brow

You're next task......Apple Street/Cock Brow. Also very local and actually harder than Gorsey Brow or Cowlishaw Lane.

https://goo.gl/maps/x1aCowYjE212

Having said that I've managed it so I'm sure you'll have no problem

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Also very local and actually harder than Gorsey Brow or Cowlishaw Lane.

https://goo.gl/maps/x1aCowYjE212

Having said that I've managed it so I'm sure you'll have no problem
I recognise the street view without having to look up the location, it's the back road up Werneth Low from the Hattersley side. Have ridden it a number of times over the years and wouldn't have thought it was steeper than the steep bit of Gorsey Brow?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yorkshire Dales, day 2: Feeling a bit rough this morning, both with a cold, and a little bit saddle sore, so left home a bit later than yesterday at 07:15 and decided not to go too far. Taking @Pale Rider 's advice, I headed for Coverdale today. I must say he was spot on. It was well worth doing it, but it is very up and down. My bike was complaining a bit on the climbs ... sounded like bottom bracket, but no lateral movement in the cranks, and only creaked when in the granny ring. A new one on me. (???) So with rider and bike both seemingly crocked, (the brakes are also becoming a bit squealy), I headed off out of Leyburn for a 22.4 mile lumpy loop.
After a quiet and pleasant amble South via Harmby, Spennithorne and East Witton, I turned towards Coverdale and instantly the lanes were completely traffic free.
Crossed the River Ure by this wonderful old bridge:
DSCF4458.JPG

soon followed by a bridge over the River Cover (telling me I was on the right road). As I hung a right at East Witton, a smoky old Landrover passed me giving a good four foot clearance, but I still felt a warm blast of diesel fumes firing out of its sideways pointing exhaust pipe with enough force to part the hairs on my legs! Something about East Witton looked incredibly familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Perhaps a little like Hutton le Hole, or maybe it reminded me of somewhere in the Cotswolds? Anyone know if it has featured in any TV dramas?
DSCF4460.JPG

At the top end of the village green, the roads converge and become a single track lane, and there is a signpost saying you are entering the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Like yesterday in Wensleydale, it instantly became Bunny Central. Thousands of rabbits everywhere. Some flung themselves suicidally in front of me, scampering for bolt holes in the hedges or stone walls, and sending the dust flying on the road surface. You could actually hear their little paws scrambling. By the time I got the camera out, the last little white scuts were just disappearing down holes. Just too fast for me.
DSCF4463.JPG

There were lambs everywhere, too, but they all scarpered at the site of a giant on a bike, too.
Picked up the River Cover:
DSCF4462.JPG

... and followed an undulating road above the South bank past Caldbergh and into West Scrafton:
DSCF4468.JPG

The road then plunged steeply down to a bridge over the river, before climbing a tad less steeply (thankfully) back up above the opposite bank. I took a left turn and carried on through Gammersgill as far as Horsehouse before turning around.
DSCF4470.JPG

Here I took my one and only selfie. Once again, characteristically though inexplicably stern looking.
DSCF4471.JPG

Thought I'd air the Cyclechat kit at least once on this trip. After overdressing and overheating yesterday, today I made the classic mistake of looking out of only one window to determine the weather before deciding which kit to wear. It was gloriously sunny and blue out of that window. Unfortunately it was cold and almost foggy everywhere else ... including where I was heading. Still, it warmed up a bit, and I generated my own heat, so shorts and short-sleeved top worked OK.
Enjoyed the descent into Wensley from "Middleham Low Moor" (which was quite high enough for me, thank you) and dragged my weary frame back in to Leyburn. Don't know if I'll be well enough for a ride tomorrow (might have a day off), but once again I loved the cycling around here.
Cheers, Donger.

gavgav

Guru
Yorkshire Dales, day 2: Feeling a bit rough this morning, both with a cold, and a little bit saddle sore, so left home a bit later than yesterday at 07:15 and decided not to go too far. Taking @Pale Rider 's advice, I headed for Coverdale today. I must say he was spot on. It was well worth doing it, but it is very up and down. My bike was complaining a bit on the climbs ... sounded like bottom bracket, but no lateral movement in the cranks, and only creaked when in the granny ring. A new one on me. (???) So with rider and bike both seemingly crocked, (the brakes are also becoming a bit squealy), I headed off out of Leyburn for a 22.4 mile lumpy loop.
After a quiet and pleasant amble South via Harmby, Spennithorne and East Witton, I turned towards Coverdale and instantly the lanes were completely traffic free.
View attachment 350492
soon followed by a bridge over the River Cover (telling me I was on the right road). As I hung a right at East Witton, a smoky old Landrover passed me giving a good four foot clearance, but I still felt a warm blast of diesel fumes firing out of its sideways pointing exhaust pipe with enough force to part the hairs on my legs! Something about East Witton looked incredibly familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Perhaps a little like Hutton le Hole, or maybe it reminded me of somewhere in the Cotswolds? Anyone know if it has featured in any TV dramas?
View attachment 350493
At the top end of the village green, the roads converge and become a single track lane, and there is a signpost saying you are entering the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Like yesterday in Wensleydale, it instantly became Bunny Central. Thousands of rabbits everywhere. Some flung themselves suicidally in front of me, scampering for bolt holes in the hedges or stone walls, and sending the dust flying on the road surface. You could actually hear their little paws scrambling. By the time I got the camera out, the last little white scuts were just disappearing down holes. Just too fast for me.
View attachment 350495
There were lambs everywhere, too, but they all scarpered at the site of a giant on a bike, too.
View attachment 350494
... and followed an undulating road above the South bank past Caldbergh and into West Scrafton:
View attachment 350496
The road then plunged steeply down to a bridge over the river, before climbing a tad less steeply (thankfully) back up above the opposite bank. I took a left turn and carried on through Gammersgill as far as Horsehouse before turning around.
View attachment 350497
Here I took my one and only selfie. Once again, characteristically though inexplicably stern looking.
View attachment 350498
Thought I'd air the Cyclechat kit at least once on this trip. After overdressing and overheating yesterday, today I made the classic mistake of looking out of only one window to determine the weather before deciding which kit to wear. It was gloriously sunny and blue out of that window. Unfortunately it was cold and almost foggy everywhere else ... including where I was heading. Still, it warmed up a bit, and I generated my own heat, so shorts and short-sleeved top worked OK.
Enjoyed the descent into Wensley from "Middleham Low Moor" (which was quite high enough for me, thank you) and dragged my weary frame back in to Leyburn. Don't know if I'll be well enough for a ride tomorrow (might have a day off), but once again I loved the cycling around here.
Cheers, Donger.
These ruddy colds do seem to have the knack of appearing when we go on holiday don't they! Hoping you feel better later in the week. Fair play for getting out in spite of it :okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I recognise the street view without having to look up the location, it's the back road up Werneth Low from the Hattersley side. Have ridden it a number of times over the years and wouldn't have thought it was steeper than the steep bit of Gorsey Brow?

You may be right. I think it's that rippled concrete surface with all the potholes and drainage channels across Cock Brow that makes it a struggle

I think those two are the hardest to maintain forward momentum on that are local to us. Cowlishaw Lane is also really hard (more than 20%) in places too

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
View attachment 350492
View attachment 350493
View attachment 350495
View attachment 350494
View attachment 350496
View attachment 350497
View attachment 350498
Cheers, Donger.

Glad you're enjoying the great cycling up here in Yorkshire @Donger

East Witton has featured in All Creatures Great and Small - maybe that's where you've seen it? It's also where Richard Whiteley is buried, apparently.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
My first ride out on my 19 year old Rockhopper for 15 months this evening. I seem to have outgrown my trusty mountain bike, especially as there are not many options for off road cycling round here, and I now use my hybrid or road bike all the time. However, I am doing some observing at a Bikeability training session later this week and need a bike. I can't use the road bike because I would have to walk round on cleats all day, and my hybrid's brakes broke the other day so that is in for repair, and I might not get it back in time. I thought of buying a pub bike but my sensible self told my impulsive self that my Rockhopper could save me a few quid. Just to make sure it is okay to use, I decided to take it for a spin along Southport Coast Road and into the nature reserve between Ainsdale and Freshfield for a ride.

It was working well and I found myself powering along steadily, quite enjoying the off road bits which seem a novelty after so long avoiding them. My Mapmyride app told me I did just over 15 miles at an average speed of 13.4 mph, which isn't bad considering the weight and design of the bike.

Took a few photos along the way.

20170502_192521.jpg

20170502_192527.jpg

20170502_193011.jpg

20170502_193902.jpg

My 19 year old mountain bike - still in good shape but I can't believe I used to commute 16 miles each way on this a few years ago.
20170502_193927.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My ride yesterday was a trip to Wallingford to the bank instead of going to Didcot. I stopped of at Rides On Air bike shop for a coffee and a half price Bakewell tart and had a sniff round the lovely new bikes. It was a FAB morning, no wind, bright and sunny riding through the country lanes around here and..... AND they have started to repair some of the bloody awful potholes. A 19.25 mile loop.
IMG_5189.JPG

A crochet bike for the @Hill Wimp & @hopless500

IMG_5193.JPG

A typical gaff in Brighwell cum Sotwell.

IMG_5197.JPG

A village hall in Brightwell.

Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom