Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.relive.cc/view/973531757

A ride to get a few bits today.

IMG_4277.JPG

A nice bright warm day in Romsey.

IMG_4279.JPG

Very nice.

IMG_4283.JPG

My old stomping ground.

IMG_4285.JPG

Free cider.

IMG_4286.JPG

Mummy black swan with the cygnets.

I've nearly got the old Boardman MX Comp working again, just need a new inner tube now.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sara P and I rode over to Upton where Margaret PR, Mrs 26 and Pete M were collecting. Keith W appeared on foot. He was just back from heart surgery. Sara had to head back as her husband was in mid heart surgery recovery. Crikey.

So four of us rode off over the bridge and into the lanes for Eckington and onto the northern flanks of Bredon Hill. The others were being kind as they waited for me. I was having a tough outing. Bricklehampton took us towards Jubilee Bridge over the Avon and Craycombe Farm tearooms where refreshments were taken.

We took to Hill Furze, the airfield and the ford before Pete called the run around Littleworth. My tough day was getting easier tho' as Kinnersley Bank didn't seem so hard. I managed a bit of speed as we approached Upton for our parting. Pete and I finished off my twiddling back through the standard lanes for home and Pete to get his lift. Certainly good therapy today. 56 smiles and the ankle seems to be holding up OK

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
The stiif(ish) north easterly wind made me decide to ride out to Tarleton this morning, via Burscough, intending to get the benefit of a decent tailwind on the way home. As I rode along though, I started thinking of alternatives and decided not to rely so much on the wind, ignoring it might actually help me get a bit fitter. Eventually I decided to head over to Newburgh and ride up Higher Lane through Dalton and up to the top of Ashurst Beacon, a challenging 2 mile or so ride that has a beer connoisseur like myself, with a body to prove it, gasping for breath.

I still headed through Burscough and followed the back lanes up to Newburgh. Turning right from the main road to Parbold, into Higher Lane can be quite tricky, you go down a sharp descent and have to negotiate a mini roundabout, and immediately as you enter Higher Lane there is a steep incline. As the main road is very busy, you almost always have to deal with following and oncoming traffic at the same time, so a steep descent, controlling your speed with your left hand while signalling with the right and hoping nothing is emerging from the right to make you stop, then trying to make sure you are in a low gear as you hit the sharp incline in Higher Lane. Anyway, all went well and I was heading up the hill without losing more than minimum momentum. I soon found myself struggling though and thought perhaps I was just having an off day, but even still I dropped to the 32 tooth cog much sooner than I normally would have done - I have done this on a 25 or 28 tooth cog before now, but not this morning.

I reached the Prince William pub at the top of the incline and stopped to clean my specs and catch my breath, then had a chat with another cyclist for a few moments before heading down the same way. At the bottom of Higher Lane, the situation is similar in the opposite direction as you turn left onto the main road, and as I dropped 2 or 3 gears to prepare for the climb away, I discovered the reason for things being tougher than normal as I rode up to the beacon; as I glanced down at my pedals I saw that I was riding on the large front ring - duh, divvy!! So perhaps I actually did better than I thought, I'll have to go back there soon to find out.....my lungs and thighs are already screaming for mercy at the mere thought.

Then I headed home via Lathom and Ormskirk where I just happened to bump into an old school mate I hadn't seen for ages as he walked his dog along the road, we had a chat for a while and I continued home.

Along the way, in Shirdley Hill, I took a couple of photos across a field full of yellow oil seed rape flowers towards Aughton where Christ Church, a landmark for miles around can be seen. The church looked like it was sat on a huge yellow blanket, it probably looks better in reality than in photos, but here they are anyway. Another 37 miles covered today, almost 1200 for the year so far.

CCindistanceonoilseed1.jpg

You can't see the church very well in this one, but it shows the general view from the road, hopefully the next one below zooms in enough to show it

CCindistanceonoilseed2.jpg

Gareth C

Veteran
What’s the best way to finish your training for 100 miles around London on the road bike next week? Answer: take your fat bike up into the mountains for some hike-a-bike!

I’ve never walked or biked in the Howgill Fells, but they’ve always been in my consciousness as some kind of Lakes-Dales hybrid where you tend not to find lots of people. Today was the day!

img_1550.jpg

Beginning of the protracted hike-a-bike
Parking up in Sedburgh, its not long before the hike-a-bike begins, as height is rapidly gained. The weather over this side of the country was supposed to be nicer, but there was still a strong, cold easterly making the going hard. I walked up the last section with a group of four walkers who were doing the Dales High Way, and had been battered by the wind all week on the fells.

img_1553.jpg

Height is gained rapidly
img_1555.jpg

The views are amazing
img_1566.jpg

Finally at the top of the Howgills on The Calf
On top at last, there was a promise of endless sweet singletrack descending Bowderdale. And there was. Some of it was a bit narrow, meaning extra care had to be taken to avoid clipping the pedals on the side. Some of it was a bit steep-sided, so the penalty for mistakes would be a tumble to the river. Amazing scenery, and after leaving the walkers behind on the top, not a soul in sight.

img_1576.jpg

Miles of singletrack stretching ahead down the valley
img_1578.jpg

Looking back to the descent
img_1582.jpg

Almost out of Bowderdale
All good things must come to an end, and eventually I arrived at Bowderdale village. Using the back roads and cycle track, I made my way around to Ravenstonedale, where Liz and I spend New Year this year – happy memories! I could even see Wildboar Fell, which we climbed in the snow on New Year’s Day!

img_1590.jpg

Strange clouds to the NE
img_1594.jpg

Views back to Ravenstonedale
img_1595.jpg

Roadie steepness on the way towards Adamthwaite
From Ravenstonedale the route takes the dead-end road towards Adamthwaite, taking the bridleway off towards Murthwaite. From here there is a succession of beautiful singletrack heading up then down all the way back to Sedburgh. img_1596.jpg img_1599.jpg

img_1604.jpg

I was up above that a few hours ago
img_1608.jpg

Beautiful woodland singletrack
A long, hard mountain route, but given how dry it has been, conditions were perfect.

https://www.relive.cc/view/973735090

screen-shot-2017-05-06-at-21-12-27.png

Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I'm rubbish at drawing, being only moderately accomplished at drawing curtains and straws, but I do admire those displaying talent with the crayons. Some of you may have noticed I've been carpet bombing the 'your cycle in front of wall pics' thread with various street art I find in London while out cycling.

This afternoon I planned to go hunting for more, and in particular more birds painted by graffiti artitst ATM who has painted various endangered and extinct UK birds across London. More info here:
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/mar/22/warning-signs-street-artist-atm-birds
I've already posted his Barn Owl in Acton in the above thread, link here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-cycle-in-front-of-a-wall-pics.201903/post-4641954
And his Chaffinch in Loughborough Junction
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-cycle-in-front-of-a-wall-pics.201903/post-4703649
There are a number of ATM's other birds around Acton that I did'nt know about on my previous visit, so first I head over there. There are apparently 2 in the grounds of Berrymede School in Acton, which I'm not going to be able to photograph during the week, so hope I can get over the weekend. I'm in luck. Firstly a Goldfinch
P1000751_zpsasludxtu.jpg

And within a hop, skip and a jump, there's a Jay, yay!
P1000755_zpsdkjx2nei.jpg

There's supposed to be a Grey Partridge on the Hardy Court tower block nearby. I cycle around puzzled unable to find it, before I realise what the hoardings are for... the entire tower block has been demolished to make way for swanky new flats. And with no obvious nearby pear trees for it to take cover in, it appears this partridge is no more, definitely not Ah-ha, but boo-hoo.

During my amble about the hoardings and rubble I do find these two right next to each other, I don't know if they are by ATM but I'm bird spootting today and these are birds, so they're defo in! I'm not actually a bird spotter but they look like a Gannet and Cormorant to me.
P1000737_zpspiaqlvzj.jpg

P1000740_zpsbzembzgk.jpg

One of the neighbouring blocks has this which was worthy of inclusion.
P1000743_zps8ods9hyp.jpg

I then need to head from West London over to East London for a few more birds. On the way I pass a large collection of those doing 'bird' at the 'scrubs, Wormwood Scrubs Prison.
P1000816_zpsnk4nzjkx.jpg

While weaving through the back streets of Hackney I come across this rat in New Goulston St.
P1000865_zpsg2av8hos.jpg

You may have heard the phrase city folk are never further than 6 feet away from a rat, fear not, its not that bad....more like 10-15 feet apparently, cringe.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/feb/13/urban-myths-6ft-from-a-rat
That rat looks to me like it must have been done by the same person who did the Shoreditch Hedgehog I've papped before, see here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-cycle-in-front-of-a-wall-pics.201903/post-4692676
Just across from this on Goulston St there was this on some shutters
P1000868_zpsnsbh1xq7.jpg

Photo limit reached to be continued....

booze and cake

probably out cycling
.....continued....
I'm then off down Hanbury St, a real hotbed of street art,...hang on this style looks familiar....not by ATM but another bird!
P1000871_zpskb5qtabn.jpg

Further along Hanbury St there's this:
P1000874_zpsenfk1xot.jpg

Look closely at the left of the pic, above the passing family, notice the 3D faces?
P1000878_zpsuvojz0qo.jpg

I had no idea at the time but since getting home and doing a bit of googling, it seems like they are by French artist Gregos.
http://www.hookedblog.co.uk/2015/12/sky-high-with-french-artist-gregos.html
The night traffic scene above must be by the same person who did this one in Crofton Park in south east London I've done before:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-cycle-in-front-of-a-wall-pics.201903/post-4627513
These two are also on Hanbury St:
P1000879_zpsjy5ra8si.jpg

P1000887_zps5vi6b70s.jpg

I'm then looking for an ATM Bitten bird in some arches off Pott Street in Bethnal Green. According to the RSPB it was declared extinct in the UK and was re-introduced around 1911. Concerns were raised about a possible 2nd extinction in the 1950's, which saw the start of a conservation programme that drove a slow recovery. Being a Bittern in Blighty is clearly not easy, so I'm feeling for the little critters, especially on its own in all weathers, in Hackney! I find it....but there's been a back alley Hackney massacre. The poor thing has been beheaded, or rather its entire body painted over in black, for no obvious reason. Its the other side of the wall, closer inspection confirms just the head remains, arghh boo! Thats the risk of having works of art in public I guess, the bloody public go and ruin it, grumble grumble...
P1000899_zpsqcaf1nrb.jpg

Making my way down an alley to the main road I see some good black cab graffiti, its behind a high locked gate, so I can't get a pic with my bike against it, but peering through the railings I get a better look.
P1000902_zpsf4w7fjlp.jpg

I'm then heading to my final ATM bird of the day near Whitechapel, the now extinct in the UK, pre-water shed friendly swearword, the Great Bustard. I hope the paint version did better than the real thing and is still visible. It is, faith in Hackney restored!
P1000906_zpsxjeymksd.jpg

What a fine looking bird, I don't think this is actual size^_^ ...but I wish it was, looks like it would give a few Strava warriors a run for their money.

I know of two other ATM birds in Turnpike Lane and Walthamstow which I don't have time to visit today, but I'll hopefully find them next week. Heading homeward I photograph my final bit of graffiti for the day on Vallance Rd, by the junction with Pedley St.
P1000896_zps1bmoruk7.jpg

A great afternoon about town, 40 miles of non-council issue colour brightening up the neighbourhood. I came home hungry, but in a nod towards my day bird spotting and doing my bit for conservation, I won't be having chicken tonight^_^

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
After doing my first century last September, I never expected to be doing another one so quickly but one pf our club members organised a social century ride for the bank holiday and I decided to join. There were 9 of us and I was looked after, never on the front and kept sheltered in the group. It was one of the incentives for getting the new lighter bike, I woudn't have been able to keep up on the Dawes. What a great day.
It was a lovely route around Cheshire with some new roads as well as some previously ridden ones. We went to the garden centre at Church Minshaull where I had my first taste of some delicious Staffordshire Oatcakes. We went over Warburton Bridge and out through Lymm, Grappenhall, Appleton Thorn, Arley Green, Lostock Gralam, Lach Dennis, Davenham, Whitegate, Winsford, Church Minshull, Coppenhall, Middlewich, Cranage, Swettenham, Marton, Over Peover, Marthall, Mobberley, Ashley, Dunham, over Warburton Bridge again and back through Glazebrook and Culcheth, Leigh, and the ride finished at The Bull in Astley where I accidently downed my half of Wainright in one go before I'd even sat down but then I was bought another pint so that was alright. It was a good boost to ride the last 4 miles home making my total for the day, 108 miles!

104.5mi Distance 6:44:07 Moving Time 1,784ft Elevation Avg Max Speed 15.5mi/h 32.7mi/h Elapsed Time 8:21:29

Katherine

Guru
Please can anyone tell me how to add a picture of the map of my ride without adding the link to Strava.

Gareth C

Veteran
I came across a signpost for "Muker (via Buttertubs)" and I just couldn't resist it.
Wonder of wonders, this 20 stone, 56 year old only went and got up to the top, even with a head cold and against a howling head wind!:dance:Glory be!

Nice work on getting up Buttertubs - next time, down to Swaledale - the descent is "interesting".

See from 3m00s to the right hand bend at 3m25s. After that, fast to the bottom!

Put the Yorkshire Dales on your bucket lists, everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Shhh - don't tell everyone! Seriously though, it's not bad up here, is it?

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday's ride sorry for the lateness it was a long day on the bike yesterday . 1st weekend of the month so time for a Imperial century ride ,another ride in the company of @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman . @tallliman had again plotted the route of 110 m out to Lincoln via Boston to take advantage of the prevailing tailwind but we all knew the forecast was different and we were going to suffer headwinds in the fens:banghead: did we think of not doing it ? Of course not how bad could it be .
I had decided to make the ride my first 200km ride so out the door at 0620 into drizzle did consider going back for more clothes but thought I will be alright so just a gillet short sleeves and arm warmers . A few local miles out to Loughborough to the start of the route near @tallliman house with 13 miles in the bag . Followed the route to the meeting point at Cossington a couple of loops of the village and I think I've got enough miles in . @tallliman was waiting at the meeting point , @Supersuperleeds soon rolled in with enough miles for his 200 km in . After a chat about headwinds and borough hill which @Supersuperleeds was dreading we were off .Out on the rolling terrain to Twyford then comes borough hill on which @Supersuperleeds though it would be good to attack @tallliman left us to play ,hill climbing order restored as I crested first :becool:. The biggest climb of the day out of the way . Out round Oakham an on towards Stamford under the A1 on the first stop at a garden centre at Thetford were breakfast and sausage baps were consumed :hungry: . Off towards Spalding and the scenery getting a bit flat now and the headwind having an effect now as the speed slowly decreases with us taking turns in the front some of us more than others:tongue: .Finally got to Boston were our route followed the cycle route straight though the town centre which had a fun fair in place so very sorry progress scooting round all the pedestrians but soon found the river side route traffic free marked 50km to Lincoln . Within a few miles @Supersuperleeds passed 100m to give him an Eddington number of 100 :notworthy:. I passed the 100 mark a few miles later . To our surprise the river side route that was nicely sheltered ended on put us back on the roads . We were on a dead straight fenland road for about 6 miles into a headwind :surrender:. Thankfully the route reconnected with the Riverside path and after ignoring the GPS route we followed the Riverside route which turned into a bit of cross country cycling but made it for a quick coffee stop at Bardney some lovely cakes . Check of train times and we could have a nice steady run to Lincoln . Back on the Riverside path and 1 mike from Lincoln I past 200km for the first time . Lincoln train station reached and relaxed journey back which gives a nice time to chat about the ride and we all agree it's been tough but the company got us though it . After another 8 miles home from the station I'm back home at 0745 a very long day
Main ride 125 miles in 8.41.14 slow average of 14.4 mph but today was about distance not speed . I must remember to take more clothes I was only just warm enough all day :cold: so still in the Imperial challenge ^_^ good day in good company

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Three Ride to Lincoln - Part 2.

After the successful ride to Lincoln organised by @tallliman last month (I think it was last month) he organised another one for yesterday. The route was pretty much 100 miles from meeting point to finish, so with it going to be the ride that took my Eddington number to the magic 100 I decided I was going to do a 200km. @13 rider had also decided he was going to do his first 200km.

The forecast was for it to be dry but an easterly wind, which with the first 70 miles being pretty much toward the east meant it was going to be a hard day (for the other two it was more like 80 miles of headwind)

I was up at 5am and out the door by 5:45 to do 30 miles to the meeting point for 8am. I got there at around 7:50 and @13 rider and @tallliman were already waiting. Quick hello and off into the wind. @tallliman had decided that since we were going riding in the flatlands we needed to do a hill before so his route took us straight over Burrough Hill, now I'd been down it on Friday and I was not looking forward to going up it 40 miles into a double metric!

Anyway, we are pootling along and chatting and before I know it we are over the hill and thinking about the flats and headwind to come and it was hard work.

Had a cracking cafe stop at Waterside Garden Centre north of Market Deeping which was recommended by a friend of @tallliman who we happened to bump into. Highly recommend it if you are out that way. Reasonably priced and the staff were really friendly.

After the cafe stop we had the hardest 30 miles of the ride as we rode up to Boston. By the time we got there I was on 97 miles and was feeling pretty tired. We then headed north on the Water Rail Way which is 33 miles to Lincoln with the vast majority off road running alongside the River Witham. This was the best part of the day as we no longer had a headwind to contend with and with being off road was more relaxed.

A final stop was had at the heritage centre in Bardney and then the final 10 miles into Lincoln were we jumped on the train and headed back home.

132 miles for me, @ 13 rider 125 miles and @tallliman 110 miles. 5 months in a row we have all done imperial centuries.

With the 13 miles from the station back home I tipped 145 miles for the day and didn't get home until 8pm. By far the longest days riding for me and at just over 14mph was my second slowest imperial

Thanks for @tallliman for the route and thanks to him and @13 rider for the usual excellent company. Next time please can we have a westerly wind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/973982133

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yesterday's ride so for the lateness it was a long day on the bike yesterday . 1st weekend of the month so time for a Imperial century ride ,another ride in the company of @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman . @tallliman had again plotted the route of 110 m out to Lincoln via Boston to take advantage of the prevailing tailwind but we all knew the forecast was different and we were going to suffer headwinds in the fens:banghead: did we think of not doing it ? Of course not how bad could it be .
I had decided to make the ride my first 200km ride so out the door at 0620 into drizzle did consider going back for more clothes but thought I will be alright so just a gillet short sleeves and arm warmers . A few local miles out to Loughborough to the start of the route near @tallliman house with 13 miles in the bag . Followed the route to the meeting point at Cossington a couple of loops of the village and I think I've got enough miles in . @tallliman was waiting at the meeting point , @Supersuperleeds soon rolled in with enough miles for his 200 km in . After a chat about headwinds and borough hill which @Supersuperleeds was dreading we were off .Out on the rolling terrain to Twyford then comes borough hill on which @Supersuperleeds though it would be good to attack @tallliman left us to play ,hill climbing order restored as I crested first :becool:. The biggest climb of the day out of the way . Out round Oakham an on towards Stamford under the A1 on the first stop at a garden centre at Thetford were breakfast and sausage baps were consumed :hungry: . Off towards Spalding and the scenery getting a bit flat now and the headwind having an effect now as the speed slowly decreases with us taking turns in the front some of us more than others:tongue: .Finally got to Boston were our route followed the cycle route straight though the town centre which had a fun fair in place so very sorry progress scooting round all the pedestrians but soon found the river side route traffic free marked 50km to Lincoln . Within a few miles @Supersuperleeds passed 100m to give him an Eddington number of 100 :notworthy:. I passed the 100 mark a few miles later . To our surprise the river side route that was nicely sheltered ended on put us back on the roads . We were on a dead straight fenland road for about 6 miles into a headwind :surrender:. Thankfully the route reconnected with the Riverside path and after ignoring the GPS route we followed the Riverside route which turned into a bit of cross country cycling but made it for a quick coffee stop at Bardney some lovely cakes . Check of train times and we could have a nice steady run to Lincoln . Back on the Riverside path and 1 mike from Lincoln I past 200km for the first time . Lincoln train station reached and relaxed journey back which gives a nice time to chat about the ride and we all agree it's been tough but the company got us though it . After another 8 miles home from the station I'm back home at 0745 a very long day
Main ride 125 miles in 8.41.14 slow average of 14.4 mph but today was about distance not speed . I must remember to take more clothes I was only just warm enough all day :cold: so still in the Imperial challenge ^_^ good day in good company

I'd totally blanked the fun fair and I got to the sign first on Burrough Hill :tongue:

Top Bottom