Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Putting the hammer down, top speed 71.1kph (!)

IMG_8247.JPG
IMG_8248.PNG
IMG_8249.PNG

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've got some catching up to do to stay on my 17 miles/day target this month as I lost a couple of days hiking. The plan last night was an early start and get a quick 30 odd miles in. Waking up after 0800 put paid to that idea, so instead got the Brompton out and pedalled to town to pick up a new set of kitchen scales with my lad. Home via the towpath to Egham. Visit from the P fairy at Egham train station, quick pump up with the Brompton pump held it for 20 yards or so, but it was clear the air was going out just as fast as it was going in. Ho hum, walked the mile home and pulled the front wheel off on arrival. Whatever it was had gone, and left a decent hole to repair. All done now, and hoping to get out tonight whilst SWMBO is watching the top quality Saturday night TV....

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
It's cloudy, it's blowy, it's cool but dressed appropriately, 20 miles Pboro out to Whittlesey and slightly beyond then back. No great pace, just fast enough to feel like it should do some good.
One massive heron, one reed bunting and plenty of waterfowl along the Nene, not many people out but did see two group rides.
All good, back to beans on toast and a lovely cuppa.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Last night we had a new instructor for circuits who was trying to prove himself and then lots of really hard leg stuff in yoga, so I woke up this morning feeling a bit delicate!
I've had my Cube for 5 years and one day, Mrs Dave was doing other stuff, so no tandem ride, that meant that me and the Cube went out for a little birthday celebration.

The wind was coming from the NE so I followed last Saturdays ride up the busway to St Ives. Lots of yellowhammer and skylark about. At Fen Drayton lakes I saw swallow and house martin and then my star birds of the day, 3 common terns flying above me , squawking noisily.

Around the lakes there are gazillions of Common Sallow growing, and as I'm sure you're aware they seed like buggery! Last week I noticed that they'd seeded between the tracks , and were duly being pruned by the speeding busses.
The Busway bonsai
IMG_2808.JPG

In through and out the other side of St Ives, no tandem partner, no stopping!
Here is the church tower in the distance
IMG_2810.JPG

Along through Huntingdon then over the river to Godmanchester. Up the Ouse valley and at Offord Darcy I turned up the hill toward Graveley. From here I altered last weeks route and headed to Croxton and a stop at Waresley garden centre.
IMG_2812.JPG

I had my tea and cake, then headed toward Gamlingay. My legs were knackered and they stayed this way for the rest of the ride. All I could do was fantasise about food. For some reason I was craving a ham and mayonnaise toastie, then jelly sweets. I had neither! 10 miles to get home and no shops until a mile before home, no point stopping then!

My little, aching legs finally delivered my home after 50 cloudy miles.
Of course, being a knob end the last 10 of those was back into a headwind!

https://www.strava.com/activities/973276060

gavgav

Guru
Completed my half century challenge ride for May, with a 50k this morning, in wind, drizzle and gloom (more like November than May!) and my first entry on the new bike.

Took the cycle paths up to Sundorne and then along the tarmacced section of the old canal path and out on the road to Uffington and Upton Magna. It was hard going into the stiff breeze for the first 15 miles of the ride and this was particularly evident on the section to Withington, Walcot and Longdon on Tern.

I was glad to turn out of the wind on the lanes to Rodington and Roden and this continued to Poynton and Bings Heath. The climb up Ebury Hill was easier on the new bike, which surprised me with the smaller gear range, but the lightness of the bike is making all the difference.

The climb up East Haughmond was quicker as well, but obviously not quick enough for an idiot in a van marked up with "Wide Load" all over it, who must have passed me doing about 70 to 80mph. Gave me loads of room, but he was on the wrong side of the lane, as he went over the brow of the hill and if ever anything was coming the other way he would have wiped them out at that speed. Crazy idiot :wacko:.

From Upton Magna again, I took the Pelham Rd to Berwick Wharf, along the straight to Atcham, over the bridge, where I had views of the bridesmaids having their photos taken at a wedding at the Mytton and Mermaid hotel and looking very pretty :wub:

The steep climbs up Chilton Lane were fine, standing on the pedals meant I ascended them quicker than I've done on the Hybrid and the descent was great fun ^_^.

Finished the ride by heading through Betton and then home.

32.7 miles and averaged 13.1mph, happy with that. Just need someone to turn the wind off now!

gaz71

Über Member
Went out for a ride with my mate today.As we hadnt planned a route we ended up going to Richmond Park,id forgotten how steep one of the hills was there.Made it to the top without walking my bike up there so i was quietly chuffed with myself for that,but quite a few people where struggling up it so that made me feel better.On the way down i hit my fasted ever speed - 30.9mph,i thought i was going to have to change my shorts when i realised i was going that quick! Loads of cyclists there today,plenty from the London Dynamos club gathered at a cafe there.all together 22 miles more towards my revised target of 4000 miles for the year.

Osprey

Guru
Its sunny but very windy. Decided on a favourite loop but run clockwise than my normal anti clockwise. It puts a totally different perspective on the ride with different views and climbs. Slightly flatter route today with only one Strava cat 4 climb but still an enjoyable 35 miles with 1750 ft of climbing. I think the winter miles have improved by fitness making these nicer weather rides more enjoyable.

upload_2017-5-6_16-35-17.png
IMG_0537[1].JPG

Bracelet Bay, Mumbles.

IMG_0541[1].JPG

Caswell Bay

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After this mornings Brompton saga, I popped out for a quick spin later afternoon having completed all tasks set for me (the washing machine is set to challenge me after dinner apparently....). Quick spin up to Windsor Great Park and back, the A30 was very busy, didn't realise why until I was near home. M3 shut again to do some more work on the new Woodlands Bridge which is nice as it opens up another route option out Windlesham way once it's done. 21 sunny, windy miles puts me back on target for the month.

Big Andy

Über Member
Club ride for me this morning. Im a fairly ew member and had to work hard to keep up but really enjoyed the ride. https://www.relive.cc/view/973343103

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My fifth and final ride in the Yorkshire Dales today. At the holiday home we have been staying in, one whole wall of the dining room is taken up with a wonderfully detailed, giant Ordnance Survey map of the area around Leyburn. I have been fascinated by it almost to the point of developing a crick in my neck, and it has been an extremely useful aide to route planning this week.
118 Holiday cottage Wonderwall.JPG

Today, after much consideration of my "Wonderwall", I decided to drive out to Carperby, where I had previously spotted somewhere I could park at the side of the road. The plan was to head out Westwards on lanes I hadn't yet ridden, and to avoid the main A684. Apart from that, nothing certain. Would probably head into Hawes though. Started off at about 07:50 along a gently rolling almost traffic-free lane, still suffering from a cold, but enjoying the riding anyway. I discovered while cycling past field upon field of sheep that loud sneezes can cause stampedes. It's the Shrek effect. Sheep just scarper at the sight and sound of me. Rode through the attractive little village of Askrigg:
119 Askrigg.JPG

... and past more glorious Wensleydale scenery, with the sun trying to come out:
120 Wensleydale scene.JPG

Made great progress and before I knew it, I was level with the village of Hawes, with a decision to make. I decided to press on to take a peek at the bottom of the Buttertubs Pass (or "Cote de Bu-terr-tube-z") as they insisted on pronouncing it in the 2015 Tour de France. Still plenty of TdF memorabilia left around here .... the odd yellow bike hung up on a wall here, and polka dots painted on a house there ... etc. I came across a signpost for "Muker (via Buttertubs)" and I just couldn't resist it. Forget that broken chain only yesterday. Forget that horrible head cold. Forget that it is pretty damn parky this morning and it's getting like a wind tunnel round here. Go for it! So spoke the little devil on my right shoulder. The other fella on my left shoulder wasn't saying a word to contradict him, so I went for it.
Wonder of wonders, this 20 stone, 56 year old only went and got up to the top, even with a head cold and against a howling head wind!:dance:Glory be!
121 Buttertubs Pass.JPG

And by 'eck was the view ever worth it!
122.JPG

Mind you, I'd taken a couple of tactical drinks stops on the way up, as the 17% bits before the cattle grid were causing me to do involuntary wheelies and really sapping the legs. At the steepest part, a wiry little Yorkshireman on a bike slowly overtook me and exchanged pleasantries before appearing to attempt a track stand ahead of me that turned out to be the world's slowest ever turn of a crank! I was sure he was about to go over sideways, but he somehow kept it together. Seeing that, I decided discretion was the better part of valour, and pulled over to clear my chest and get a grip on my breathing. When I pulled away again, I was able to spin my way up that bit relatively smoothly, zig-zagging my way across the whole width of the road as there was no traffic about. Even so, the other guy was now out of sight over the horizon. Turned around after admiring the view from the top, and went back the same way I came. Descended back down like a meteorite and loved it.
Spotted this lovely sheltered little streamside cottage at Sedbusk on the way:
123 Cottage at Sedbusk.JPG

By the time I got back to the car, I'd done exactly 24 miles. Wish I'd had time for 24 more. That's my last ride round here for now, but I'm certain we'll be back for more and I for one just can't wait. This really is "God's own county" as Geoff Boycott puts it .... (though come to think of it, he could be talking about himself). I have now done 111 miles of cycling around here in 5 early morning rides, trying not to duplicate any parts of previous rides as far as possible. Here on my "Flatnav" are the bits I've done. (The pink lines). I can personally recommend every single bit of it to you, though the real highlights were Grinton Moor, Buttertubs and Arkengarthdale..
124 Yorkshire Dales 2017 (Ride Map).JPG

Put the Yorkshire Dales on your bucket lists, everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
For a pleasant change, I had enough time today for a decent ride. Although as I sat on the back step having my breakfast I realised that the relative warmth of the last few days has deserted us again, so it was back inside to swap the bib shorts and short sleeved top for bib tights and a long sleeved top. :cold:

So out and determined to get in a qualifying ride for the half century challenge and to at least add a bit of variety to the route. And continuing the spirit of variety, I was out on the Pro Carbon for the first time in a while, even if it wasn't the bike nearest the door!
So, up Coal Road (again) into a blustery wind and wondering why I'd changed into warmer cycling attire, but left my fingerless mitts on...

Anyway, Red Hall Lane and the A58 followed as did Whin Moor Lane and Gatelands Lane into Shadwell, before the climb up to Slaid Hill lights. Right here onto Wike Ridge Lane, getting overtaken by a Lamborghini Aventador before taking another right onto Tarn Lane and the ride into the wind along the top before the descent down Ling Lane, and the A58 (again) before turning onto Thorner Lane for the drop then climb up Scarcroft Hill and onto Milner Lane.
Straight along the ridge into a head wind that seemed to be adjusting to whatever direction I was travelling in, through East Rigton and Rigton Green and onto Bramham Lane (nicely deserted again today) and up onto the other Thorner Lane.
Now, for a change, it was a left down through the dip and up the other side, before riding onto Thorner Road and the gentle descent to Bramham, before another right, down the hill and up the other side and onto Aberford Road and the Toulston Lane back out into the countryside.
From there it was Garnett Lane across the A659, then the A64 bridge and the descent down into Stutton, going straight through the village and over Cock Beck and out to the A162. right up the hill getting yet another exemplary pass from a Sainsburys truck, and through Towton, before peeling right onto the B1217 and up to the battlefield site, where I stopped for a drink and a couple of pics:
IMG_20170506_101534339_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20170506_101605260_BURST000_COVER1.jpg
IMG_20170506_101826721.jpg
IMG_20170506_101851009_HDR.jpg

Back on the bike I carried on along the road, taking the left fork down the hill into Saxton, through the village and out on Cold Hill Lane past the cricket ground, eventually dropping down onto Copley Lane for the gentle ascent up to Lotherton Gates.
Here I decided on a whim to carry on past Hook Moor wind farm and under the A1(M), before taking a right into Aberford and getting battered by the head wind all the way into the village. Down the hill and Aberford was gridlocked! If you know the village you'll appreciate that the last time this happened was probably before the A1 was diverted away from there in the 1960s. :laugh:
Not only was traffic on the Main (only) Street at a standstill in both directions, but so was traffic coming down Lotherton Lane and people were out of their cars trying to find out what was afoot.
Fortunately I had plenty of room to filter past the queuing vehicles and soon reached the source of the hold up - a truck was picking up a skip and was at a 45 degree angle right across the road, with the driver appearing to be making heavy weather of things.
So off the bike, onto the pavement and around the obstruction and back in the saddle and on my way ^_^
From there it was left onto Cattle Lane and the familiar lumpiness to Cock Beck, enlivened by a text book pass from a number 64 bus :thumbsup:and a horrendously close pass from an old dear in a blue C1 / 107 / Aygo (who got so close I don't think she even realised I was there) :thumbsdown:, which at least gave me an adrenaline boost for the climb up to Barwick, through the village and on to Scholes.
Down the hill, with a lovely tailwind, and across Cock Beck for the final time on this ride, before adding a loop through the Manstons to bump the mileage up a bit, then on via Church Lane over the brand spanking new speed cushions and local roads up to home.

32.55 miles (52.38km) in 2h 21m at an average of 13.8mph, with 1,748ft climbed. Despite the chillier weather and that head wind it was good to get out for a decent ride, and with that one exception all the drivers were playing the game today. Fewer cyclists out than recently, but Saturday can be a funny day and there were still enough to let me know I'm not alone out there ;)

And to end, a map:
06052017.JPG

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Wanted to check out another canal route on the Cube CX yesterday, this one heading down from Stockport area down to Bollington.

Pretty uneventful on roads I had done before until I passed through Bramhall and onto a rough road near the dog kennels.

ScdkTMZl.jpg

9bI8EGgl.jpg

Then through a very busy Poynton where I got caught in a major school run.

Post chaos, I then hit a lovely leafy quiet section where the ride was just sublime....when I resisted taking pics that is!

znnIsVEl.jpg

D0Lf7MKl.jpg

SG8ZUrql.jpg

Eventually reaching the canal at Bailey's Trading Post cafe, I realised I had no card, and no money with me, and the guy just looked at me when I asked him if they took contactless....so onwards I went!

wd8OO2Ml.jpg

The canal path was rough but nothing the CX couldn't handle. I'm still trying to find a skillset for handling the constant bumps on the wrists, and occasional slippy slidey terrain, but still find it fun, and it's great seeing parts of the countryside I would normally pass by.

iH2BSJ1l.jpg

5 miles later I got to Bollington, the waterside cafe there was still open so I hesitatingly asked if contactless was a 'thing' there, to which the owner just stared at me and said "of course we do" :/

So bacon barm, salad and a pot of tea was had...

O1Wrm9Ql.jpg

The route back was not so picturesque... essentially Macclesfield=busy roads + wind; road to Alderley Edge=busy but a nice 38mph downhill bit; Alderley Edge=4x4 traffic; Wilmslow=4x4 traffic; the rest= traffic + wind.

Longest ride for quite some time, and enjoyed it, another nice ride on the Cube.

https://www.strava.com/activities/972283015

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
My fifth and final ride in the Yorkshire Dales today. At the holiday home we have been staying in, one whole wall of the dining room is taken up with a wonderfully detailed, giant Ordnance Survey map of the area around Leyburn. I have been fascinated by it almost to the point of developing a crick in my neck, and it has been an extremely useful aide to route planning this week.
View attachment 351095
Today, after much consideration of my "Wonderwall", I decided to drive out to Carperby, where I had previously spotted somewhere I could park at the side of the road. The plan was to head out Westwards on lanes I hadn't yet ridden, and to avoid the main A684. Apart from that, nothing certain. Would probably head into Hawes though. Started off at about 07:50 along a gently rolling almost traffic-free lane, still suffering from a cold, but enjoying the riding anyway. I discovered while cycling past field upon field of sheep that loud sneezes can cause stampedes. It's the Shrek effect. Sheep just scarper at the sight and sound of me. Rode through the attractive little village of Askrigg:
View attachment 351096
... and past more glorious Wensleydale scenery, with the sun trying to come out:
View attachment 351097
Made great progress and before I knew it, I was level with the village of Hawes, with a decision to make. I decided to press on to take a peek at the bottom of the Buttertubs Pass (or "Cote de Bu-terr-tube-z") as they insisted on pronouncing it in the 2015 Tour de France. Still plenty of TdF memorabilia left around here .... the odd yellow bike hung up on a wall here, and polka dots painted on a house there ... etc. I came across a signpost for "Muker (via Buttertubs)" and I just couldn't resist it. Forget that broken chain only yesterday. Forget that horrible head cold. Forget that it is pretty damn parky this morning and it's getting like a wind tunnel round here. Go for it! So spoke the little devil on my right shoulder. The other fella on my left shoulder wasn't saying a word to contradict him, so I went for it.
Wonder of wonders, this 20 stone, 56 year old only went and got up to the top, even with a head cold and against a howling head wind!:dance:Glory be!
View attachment 351098
And by 'eck was the view ever worth it!
View attachment 351099
Mind you, I'd taken a couple of tactical drinks stops on the way up, as the 17% bits before the cattle grid were causing me to do involuntary wheelies and really sapping the legs. At the steepest part, a wiry little Yorkshireman on a bike slowly overtook me and exchanged pleasantries before appearing to attempt a track stand ahead of me that turned out to be the world's slowest ever turn of a crank! I was sure he was about to go over sideways, but he somehow kept it together. Seeing that, I decided discretion was the better part of valour, and pulled over to clear my chest and get a grip on my breathing. When I pulled away again, I was able to spin my way up that bit relatively smoothly, zig-zagging my way across the whole width of the road as there was no traffic about. Even so, the other guy was now out of sight over the horizon. Turned around after admiring the view from the top, and went back the same way I came. Descended back down like a meteorite and loved it.
Spotted this lovely sheltered little streamside cottage at Sedbusk on the way:
View attachment 351100
By the time I got back to the car, I'd done exactly 24 miles. Wish I'd had time for 24 more. That's my last ride round here for now, but I'm certain we'll be back for more and I for one just can't wait. This really is "God's own county" as Geoff Boycott puts it .... (though come to think of it, he could be talking about himself). I have now done 111 miles of cycling around here in 5 early morning rides, trying not to duplicate any parts of previous rides as far as possible. Here on my "Flatnav" are the bits I've done. (The pink lines). I can personally recommend every single bit of it to you, though the real highlights were Grinton Moor, Buttertubs and Arkengarthdale..
View attachment 351101
Put the Yorkshire Dales on your bucket lists, everyone. Cheers, Donger.
Some more stunning photos @Donger , great scenes

Top Bottom