Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A utilitarian ride this morning, with a couple of hits for the Trigpointing thread thrown in for good measure.

View attachment 349826
Sywell Church

View attachment 349827
Moulton Church

Once through Sywell & Moulton, I headed to Spring Hill to sort out my house insurance with NFU, where the lovely ladies made me a coffee whilst dibbling in the numbers, and value of bikes to be covered, on their PC.
After half an hour stop, I rode down Merry Tom Lane then past Chapel Brampton railway station.

View attachment 349824
I did the hill up, so I deserve the descent :becool:

Back home via the town centre where I had to pop into a garage to check out a few cars as mine will soon need replacing.
Nothing any good there though, so the hunt will go on!

View attachment 349825

Back home on 30 miles.Chilly at first, but improving by the hour on the way round. The sun burst out just as I arrived home

https://www.strava.com/activities/961421370

:smile:
Love that Canyon, very nice indeed.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A quick, actually very quick (for me) spin this morning as I had to go to shopping. 11.9 miles with an average of 17.6mph, not been that quick before!!
The joy was short lived however, as the next 3 hours were spent at Ikea....

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Club ride to Clavering lakes, Organised a nice route around the back of Standstead to get to Clavering Lakes nice quiet roads, the sun was shinning not a lot of wind, just the perfect day. 84 mile round trip with a fair bit of climbing, The guys did have to drag me back the last 15 miles i was suffering a bit, first ride for a week so really felt hard.
https://www.strava.com/activities/962726163#kudos

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out on the tandem and our ride today took us up the busway for one reason alone. Earlier in the week I'd seen ox eye daisies flowering, and up the busway verges are thick with them..... in the past few weeks they've mown the verges to about 5mm. Bastards!

On our way up to St Ives @Elybazza61 's club came the other way.
We stopped at the riverside tea rooms for a brew and enjoyed the view
IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

Out of St Ives, but not before having 'w4nker' shouted at me from a passing car, oh how utterly hard!

We went in to Houghton village, never been in. How pretty. We stopped at the mill for a photo
IMG_2717.JPG

Soon enough we were in Huntingdon, again at the side of the River Ouse

IMG_2720.JPG

In through Godmanchester and up to Offord Darcy. On the long 4% draggy hill we had 2 scalps, an overtake to be proud of....
IMG_2722.JPG

I'm certainly counting it as 2, even though the dog is small!

From Graveley we went to Hilton and up over to Elsworth. We usually do this road the other way round. We stopped in Elsworth for a shandy
IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

40 miles, slightly soured in the last mile from a silly close pass by a black Mercedes taxi with a private plate, when I shook my head he gave me the finger.
Private plate, Panther taxis in Cambridge.... it won't take me long to find him.

https://www.strava.com/activities/962815522

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I had a slightly longer than usual ride today as the girls mum actually bothered to spend time with them for once.
The ever mundane ride to Horwich was made more bearable by listening to my tunes and was incident free. It was much nicer going through Rivington and I discovered another trail which is always a bonus as it means fewer miles mixing it up with the weekend rally drivers. After Limbrick I jumped onto the Leeds&Scouserpool canal up to Wheelton where I'd planned a little adventure of lanes I'd not ridden in years. This time of year when everything is starting to grow green again meant they were stunning as were the views of the bigger landscape.
Heapey and White Coppice were passed through at snailpace or slower which aided in my enjoyment of the scenery. The hills were killing me though. Gasping for air so much on one climb that I had to stop as I thought I was going to puke my guts up....lovely.
20170429_111905.jpg

Screaming back down to Anglezark reservoir was immensely good fun although I doubt my brakes were happy about the abuse they suffered.
I took another adventure through the backstreets of Horwich and pleasantly surprised at how pretty some were. I even discovered Richmond Park! 30 years I've been living here and only today ventured into it.
Past Bob Smithies pub I turned left then fight again shortly after to try out a trail I'd seen on Google maps. Maybe next time I do that I'll fit the 38's instead of the 35's. T'was bumpy.
20170429_123922.jpg

The bike and I got home intact and happy but utterly utterly mega shattered.
I've since devoured 2 Angus burgers in full.
More days like this are what I need.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I was feeling a bit tired as Sara P and I rode over to Upton. Margaret couldn't make it but Pete M was ready and waiting. The Folk Festival was beginning and Morris dancers were everywhere we looked. June P said hello as she made her way to help her friends provide Tea and Cakes to the Festival goers.

It was decided that Pershore was the target but to go in the opposite direction to normal. That prompted me to suggest a bit of an explore through some lanes I have ridden but not often and not for a very long time. So I made a couple of mistakes in overshooting turnings and became a little lost but Hatfield eventually turned up where I had last left it. All good and fun too. We then admired stunning Bluebells in the woods at Deerfold and Caldewell. They were so stunning even Sara commented on them. Not long after we were ordering Tea and Scones in Pershore.

Our chat was wide ranging but eventually we headed out over the Avon and on to the Combertons. We regained the correct bank of the Avon at Eckington Bridge before looping through Defford. Familiar tarmac brought us back to Upton and Morris dancers all around. Sara shot off in her usual manner while Pete and I chatted a bit before I took my standard run back.

Despite being a bit tired it had been a fairly easy ride and quite enjoyable too. A bit of winging it on the navigational front is always good fun. Variety is the spice they say. 49 smiles today

pawl

Legendary Member
Out on the tandem and our ride today took us up the busway for one reason alone. Earlier in the week I'd seen ox eye daisies flowering, and up the busway verges are thick with them..... in the past few weeks they've mown the verges to about 5mm. Bastards!

On our way up to St Ives @Elybazza61 's club came the other way.
We stopped at the riverside tea rooms for a brew and enjoyed the view
View attachment 349916
View attachment 349917

Out of St Ives, but not before having 'w4nker' shouted at me from a passing car, oh how utterly hard!

We went in to Houghton village, never been in. How pretty. We stopped at the mill for a photo
View attachment 349918
Soon enough we were in Huntingdon, again at the side of the River Ouse

View attachment 349919

In through Godmanchester and up to Offord Darcy. On the long 4% draggy hill we had 2 scalps, an overtake to be proud of....
View attachment 349920

I'm certainly counting it as 2, even though the dog is small!

From Graveley we went to Hilton and up over to Elsworth. We usually do this road the other way round. We stopped in Elsworth for a shandy
View attachment 349921
View attachment 349922

40 miles, slightly soured in the last mile from a silly close pass by a black Mercedes taxi with a private plate, when I shook my head he gave me the finger.
Private plate, Panther taxis in Cambridge.... it won't take me long to find him.

https://www.strava.com/activities/962815522

Houghton Mill used to be a youth hostel.Must have been back in the fifties. Very basic hoste

gavgav

Guru
I'm up at the caravan for the Bank Holiday Weekend and once the morning showers had passed through I headed out on a ride with some new exploring included.

There was a strong southerly breeze blowing, which made it a hard ride down into Barmouth and along the seafront, before the slow weave across Barmouth bridge in between the tourists.

The trip up the Mawddach Trail was good, with the wind either helping me or at the side and it was my first trip up it that co-incided with high tide, which made it even more impressive than usual.

I paused at Dolgellau and had my lunch whilst watching the start of a cricket match.
IMG_0112.JPG

I then continued through the Town and turned onto the new territory. There was a right turn towards the hospital and the start of a steep long climb up Froneleu, which easily dwarfs the one up to Cregennan!

Looking back down to Dolgellau
IMG_0113.JPG

There were 4 gradient arrows and 800ft of climbing in about 1.5 miles. I seriously knew about it when I reached the turn off onto the lovely metalled mountain roads/paths along NCN Route 8, at Tabor.

There was more climbing as I wound my way over the top and the vast scenery towards Cader Idris was stunning.

Looking towards the pass I was heading for
IMG_0114.JPG

I descended a little way down to the crossing point over the main A487. I then began a climb up a proper mountain pass, towards Aberlleffeni, which was bottom granny gear all the way......well as far as I decided to go anyhow!! It defeated me after about 20 minutes, and I could see that it just continued up and up before it would then steeply drop to the village. I simply didn't have the legs to go any further up it and so decided to re-trace my steps back towards Dolgellau and enjoy the brilliant descent that was ahead of me.

Cader Idris
IMG_0115.JPG

It took me 35 minutes to climb up the hill, and 6 minutes to descend it. It was brilliant fun and I hit 30 to 34 mph in a number of places ^_^

My plan eventually is to work up the fitness to enable me to make it over to Aberlleffeni and then loop round to Tal-y-Lyn, Llyngwryl and Fairbourne. It will be a challenge that's for sure!

I arrived back at the cricket and the away team batsmen were dominating at 105 for 1 off 22 overs. The trip back along the Mawddach Trail was busy, loads of cyclists and walkers and the bridge was like a motorway! Some people are so rude as well, try moving out of my way, it's only a bike you know!!

Barmouth Bridge
IMG_0116.JPG

With the wind behind me it was a speedy trip back along the seafront and along the very busy coast road to Talybont, which was heaving with weekend traffic, but all very well behaved :okay:

40.1 miles with 2100 ft of climbing and it takes me to 220 miles for the month, my first +200 mile month in 2 years and one of my biggest ever.

Edit:- Photo's now uploaded due to better wifi signal

Last edited:
Up to Tadcaster, for the Tour de Yorkshire

Quite happy, for a 45 - 46 minute trip there - at a reasonably steady pace too
Home, under jct 31/M62, Whitwood Common, Hightown, Castleford, Lock Lane, Barnsdale Road, 'Mary Pannal' hill, Ridge Road, Peckfield Bar, 'Old Road to Hook Moor (A1, at Aberford)
Past Lotherton Hall, past Crooked Billet, up over Towton Battlefield, 'Tadcaster TurnPike' into the town

http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4529614.html

This comment, shared by Adrian (one of runners in same Club) to my FaceBook page, cheered me up!

Tootled to Tad on the R3 to watch the TDY set off then struggled to hang on to Thackeray's back wheel for most of the way back

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Today the Glasgow Belles rode to the Campsies, well, the bottom of them ^_^
A round trip of 36 miles from town, along Kelvingrove park, the canal path, and a disused railway path.
It was mostly freezing with bursts of Scottish drizzle.
A great time was had by all, also we got spotted by @Edwardoka!

A view from the meeting point, Bell's bridge:
IMG_20170429_093434239.jpg looking towards the landmark crane and the Squinty Bridge
IMG_20170429_093512665.jpg BBC headquarters and the Glasgow Science centre. The path along side leads to Balloch, on the Shores of Loch Lomond.
A view of the Crow road, a regular climb for roadies: one day the Belles will ride up there: actually some already have, not me though, hehe.
IMG_20170429_130310714.jpg this is only half of the hill, the bottom is further down on the right of the picture!
Last, some Belles having fun on the railway path.
IMG_20170429_140328111.jpg

Top Bottom