Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
20170811_145227.jpg
View attachment 367612 Well a bright sunny day for a pilgrimage - so I set off in search of a pint of Adnams bitter at Southwold. My legs didn't feel too bad after yesterday (Maybe something to do with not having a trailer full of camping gear in tow today)
A lovely ride through some fine Suffolk countryside and quaint villages and hamlets. On arrival in Southwold the smell of Adnams mash was divine. A short exploration down to the harbour and then back to the town for a pint (well ok it was 2 pints! ) and a bite to eat.
On my way back to the campsite I decided to take a shortcut that cut about 1/2 a mile off the journey......it took me about half an hour!
Now back at the campsite relaxing before I pack up and head home in the morning. The weather forecast suggests I will be riding into the wind all the way - so it will be a slow ride, even by my standards.
By the way, if anyone is looking for a nice campsite in these here parts I can thoroughly recommend this one Three Rivers at Geldeston. It has an area to launch rowing boats, canoes etc. and is very spacious. Fairly basic facilities - but a bargain at £8 a night. It is within staggering distance of 2 very good pubs and as an added bonus I was visited in my tent last night by hedgehog.
View attachment 367612

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
20170811_121104.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I set off today at about 5:20am, as soon as the light enabled it. Possibly a little before if I'm honest, but the terms of my permit required me to be back early afternoon and I wanted to make the most of it. It was soon obvious something wasn't quite right. On the initial 10 mile run to Newent, where in good conditions like this morning's I'd expect to average 14 mph, I was struggling to get to 12½. My plann was to head out to Abergavenny on the challenging B4521, and as Abergavenny appeared to offer plenty of bail options I decided to carry on and see how it went.

The view westwards near Lea at about 6:30:

Aug11a.JPG

I took the B4521 very steadily, using an absurdly low gear on the climbs, and in the event it wasn't bad at all. I rode through Skenfrith a couple of months ago on an extremely hot day, with the river full of people cooling off. Today there were no bathers but an egret was taking advantage of the quietness.

The impressive profile of the Skirrid, which marks the final approach to Abergavenny, was drawing rapidly closer. There wasn't a good photo opportunity until it was almost too late. Here's my effort, though the distinctive shape is largely lost:

Aug11b.JPG

There followed a joyful descent towards Abergavenny, down the by-pass and along the old A40 towards Usk. A brief stop on Chain Bridge, looking down the River Usk:

Aug11c.JPG

The ex-skip bike is still doing fine, 16 centuries now.

The final major challenge of the day was the big climb on the Usk-Chepstow road, which I hadn't done for many years. I was still feeling OK, and again I took it very steadily. After the big bend half a mile from the top there's been some extensive tree-felling which has opened up the view, but it will take a while to heal:

Aug11d.JPG

At this time the weather seemed to be closing in rapidly and soon it started to rain. But it quickly fizzled out, at least until after I was home, and my bike remained clean.

At the top there was a little more climbing to do to cut over to the Trelleck road, well worth doing for the most exhilarating run into Chepstow. I'm not normally a fan of fast descents, but this is a good one. Then over the old Severn Bridge, where I narrowly failed to sneak into someone else's Strava photo, and an wind-assisted run back up to Gloucester. I finished on 108.21 miles at a very modest speed, but Strava was reasonably impressed with my efforts and awarded me an average power output over 100, something which I rarely achieve. I may be going down with a cold, but I don't think I've done any harm. Frequently the days when you deal with a bit of adversity end up being the best.

The granter of cycling permits had a good day too, so it's all smiles this evening.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Out early this morning, intending to do a quick, flat 30 miles to stay on track. The first part was quick and flat, then I realised it would be 10 miles too short, so I ended up with 33.5 miles in the bag and nearly 300m of climbing to boot which slowed me down a bit. Almost fell over after arriving home when SWMBO suggested we cycle into town to get a few its and bobs, so another 4 miles before lunch. Ticking along nicely, 353 miles of 777 done so far..

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Last week I set off for Otley but baled out at Alwoodley Gates due to a pig of a headwind and went elsewhere.
Today, with a headwind, I set off for Otley again...:rolleyes:

So, up Coal Road and glad I'd put my arm warmers on, then more familiar territory of Red Hall Lane, the A58 and Whin Moor Lane, where the forecast headwind was definitely making itself felt. Fortunately I was soon sheltered behind the hedges and into Shadwell and the up, down and more ups to Slaid Hill lights.
A quick wiggle and onto Wigton Lane, again into the wind but I just dropped the gears and span it out, eventually dropping down to Alwoodley Gates again and as the lights were green, straight across the A61 and onto Alwoodley Lane, which is mainly up from here which at least sheltered me from the worst of the wind.
Eventually arrived a King Lane and turned right, dropping down past Five Lane Ends and resisting the temptation to head via Eccup and down the hill, carried on to Golden Acre Park and the climb up Arthington Lane and then King Lane for the drop down onto the A660 - but before the downhill, I was treated to 3 consecutive closes passes (BMW, BMW, Audi...who'd have thought it..?) :rolleyes:
Anyway, down the hill and round the roundabout and the steady climb up through Bramhope. Now Otley Road is the site of West Yorkshire Police's close pass initiative, although you'd never have guessed it this morning. Star performer though was a muppet in a French registered Merc Vito van who I could hear braking / revving his engine behind me as I took primary past a traffic island and then got so close I could have reached through the open window and put his wipers on...:dry:
Still, it took my mind off pedalling up the hill! Through the lights at the Dyneley Arms and on down the long descent into Otley, although the wind checked my speed a bit. Through Otley, over the river and into Wharfemeadows Park for a couple of photos and a flapjack bar:
IMG_20170812_090720066.jpg
IMG_20170812_091232282_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170812_091246502_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and time for the first serious climb of the day, up Farnley Lane - I've not had a lot of bike time lately and I wasn't expecting much but I seemed to be up the worst of it quite quickly today and managed to set a PB! Not sure how, but I'll take that! :laugh:
Then the reward for all that climbing, the descent back down the other side on Farnley Park hitting 44.3mph, which is (EDIT) my new fastest speed ^_^

Heavy braking for the corner at the bottom of the hill, then over the bridge across the River Washburn and the always enjoyable run along the valley bottom to the A658 where I had to wait for a minute or two for a gap in traffic. No option here but to get pedalling for the dash over the River Wharf and then right onto the much quieter A659 for the run along the other side of the river back into Otley.
Just entering Otley I got a close pass - not from a motorist, but by a mixed peleton from Ilkley CC. Fortunately I'd seen them approaching from behind when I checked over my shoulder, but not one of them announced their presence with so much as a 'morning' before passing at speed within inches of my elbow.
Poor road craft and bad manners that...:dry:
Anyway, a wiggle through Otley and up Gay Lane before the climbing started, first up Leeds Road and then up the A660.
It really didn't feel like I was getting any benefit from what should have been a decent tail wind, so it was another spin it out and keep going, :bicycle:eventually reaching the top, round the S bends and through the lights, before the steady descent back through Bramhope, with drivers being much better behaved this time.
After all that down, it was time for some up as I climbed up King Lane, then retraced my outbound route all the way back to Slaid Hill lights.
Along from there into Shadwell, staying on Main Street for the descent right through the village (the road surface is terrible in places) before the short climb up to the A58 and a quick dash along there to Coal Road, and another climb up to the top and then it nicely levels off for a final spin, before dropping down onto local roads to home.

34.2 miles (55.04km) in a steady 2h 34m at an average of 13.3mph with 1,755ft climbed.

Not as quick as I'd hoped, but with that headwind on the way out and a couple of long climbs on the way back to nibble away at the average speed, I'll take that given my lack of bike time lately. Plus it's this months entry in the Half Century Challenge banked - all in, a good do! :okay:

And finally, a map:
12082017.JPG

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Those that read this thread will know we've bought a new tandem in the last few weeks. You may also know that the rear wheel fell apart last Saturday. It was returned to us on Thursday, so that evening we rode 23 miles.

Today we left home fairly late with the intention of going to Saffron Walden. Once out the stronger than forecast NW wind brought a change of plan. We still went over Chapel Hill, but in Barrington we turned right toward Orwell, and on to Wimpole. We stopped for a brew and a cake. There were 2 cool Frog & Ridgeback bikes there too

IMG_4333.JPG

Up Old Wimpole hill and a dash along the A1198 and a left turn toward the maggot farm. The unusual wind direction gave us a fragrance free passage!

We then took a left toward Gamlingay. At the bottom of the hill Jo said that she needed to stop as her bits needed a rest from the saddle, I said I'd stop at the church. There was a wedding on. She loves a wedding! We waited for the bride
IMG_4334.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

Aaaah!

Off we set, not stopping at Waresley GC!

Between Caxton and Bourn a farmer dumped his Landrover in the middle of the road at the top of the hill, no hazard lights.... I carried on through, and then had to wait for the monster to get by
IMG_4345.JPG

Not long after here I could hear noises from the rear end of the bike...... they progressively got worse.
We stopped, and the spokes were as slack as a whores handbag! The wheel was out of true.

So, a 37 mile ride. Good job we didn't head to Saffron Walden, that's a round trip of about 55 miles!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1129718358

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Me and my regular riding chum had a ride from Sunderland up the Tyne Valley to Prudhoe in Northumberland today.

We took our usual route to Gateshead past Sunderland/Washington's air museum, then Folingsby Lane, Heworth, and towards the Tyne past Gateshead stadium.

For a change, we stuck to the south side of the Tyne, taking the NCN path known as Keelman's Way.

It takes a bit of following, not least because there are a couple of alternative routes around the MetroCentre.

Most of the path is well-made, cinder or hardpack, and it undulates nicely past Wylam golf course, meaning there's some fun to be had if there's not many other users around.

Once at Wylam station we took a part road route through West Wylam to get further west towards Prudhoe.

Departing from the riverside around here puts you straight into steep climbing territory, but it's only for a couple of miles.

The reason for going to Prudhoe was to have a nose in a couple of bike shops there, Giant 'Newcastle', and a higher end shop opposite.

The higher end shop has the more interesting stuff, including a handful of Colnagos with SRAM Red electronic gears - one of them marked up at £8,995.

At this point some significant rain began to fall on our parade.

A few miles along a nasty A road took us to Dan's Farm Shop just outside Wylam for bait and shelter.

It chucked it down as we were eating, but had eased a bit by the time we left.

Any thoughts of a different route home were put aside due to the weather, plus a possible southern loop back via Washington would involve significant climbing through the likes of Crawcrook and Winlaton.

The poor weather did mean we had Keelman's largely to ourselves, enabling brisk progress at the cost of wet feet due to splashing through puddles at speed.

The rain all but stopped for the last few miles, which at least meant my cheapo Berghaus plastic jacket was dry by the time we got home.

About 57 miles at around 12.5mph, not a bad speed given that a lot of the route is shared paths.

I would have taken a pic or two, but the camera battery was flat so I had to make do with one pic of a grubby ebike in my back yard.

A link to the Giant shop is hardly worth posting, but here's the site for the posh place opposite: http://cycle-art.co.uk/

P1000459.JPG

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Metric Century-a-Month Challenge time again. Cue one 100km audax out of Tewkesbury with my clubmate Rich W. I had my trusty "flatnav" map holder on the bars today instead of a bag, and with the weather forecast a bit patchy, that meant carrying a rain top in my rear pocket instead of a camera. So no pictures today, which is a shame.

We basically did a big clockwise loop out of Tewkesbury, over the Malverns at British Camp, where I cut Rich loose to enjoy himself while I winched myself slowly up a beast of a hill. Was particularly pleased to be able to disguise the state I was in by rolling on over the crest without stopping for a rest this time. After that it was round through rural Herefordshire and Worcestershire to Pershore via the outskirts of Worcester ... before turning back for Tewkesbury. Lovely scenery, some great quiet roads and brilliant company today. 101.3km (62.9 miles) ridden. That's 32 consecutive months with a metric century. 32 months ago I'd never have believed that. They still wipe me out, mind you. Nice to grab a cold pint in the beer garden of the Royal Hop Pole at the end. My personal highlight, however, was seeing a little herd of reindeer at the half way control at the Mayfly café at Wichenford! .... Aww! ... I want one.

I'm off for a long hot soak in the bath now. Cheers, everyone.
Donger.

Top Bottom