Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Up and out early today to beat the Sunday club runs on the planned route. Headed out to Hampton Court via Walton and Esher, ducking around the back of Sandown Park racecourse before crossing the Thames at Hampton where is was already starting to get busy and it wasn't even 8:30 yet. Needed an extra few miles so a usual circuit to Kingston Bridge then around Bushey Park before entering it at the North gate. Noted a heron at the lake, along with an impressive algal bloom covering a good 25% of the surface. Out the park and back home via Lower Sunbury, Chertsey, Staines and an extra bit to Thorpe. 34.7 miles done and a stupid fast (for me) 17.6mph, which I put down to the nearly flat route, only 377ft of climbing in total.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Today's return home.

It was time to go home. Mrs 26 decided she would catch the train so #2 daughter saddled up with Chris and myself to shepherd Mrs 26 to Charlbury. What a lovely spot Charlbury is. I headed onward navigating by feel as I had no map and the original plan was in the Sat Nav and I was off course. By good fortune I found the original route at Kingham so pottered onward to take a break and some lunch at Moreton-in-Marsh.

I was now in some familiar territory as I climbed past Batsford park. Not far and I took a different route at Chipping Campden to climb steeply away and across the top of the Saintbury climb. Soon I was on the standard run back from Broadway. I decided to go by the Combertons and at Birlingham I heard my name called. It was Dave C. I hadn't seen him for a while so we had a good catch up. Seems he is working for a slave driver of a boss. I took my usual way by Strensham and Upton for the river crossing. Legs were tiring a tad over the final few miles. No worries, it had been a lovely day in the saddle and Mrs 26 had the kettle on in a trice. 67 smiles

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride on the Thorn tandem, which was appropriate as we were off blackberry picking at our secret, prize patch.
IMG_4369.JPG

Jo packed 6 boxes, but only 4 lids! Never mind.
Had the police come for us we'd have been caught, red handed!

IMG_4371.JPG

We then had a little mooch through the new North Cambridge development

This is a primary school. Looks like a prison!
IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

They are spending squillions of £ on this development. It's going to take 20 years apparently.

Then we went by another of the Cambridge landmarks, the Schlumberger tent
IMG_4379.JPG

It'll be crumble for tea this week!

delb0y

Legendary Member
I set off today at about 5:20am, as soon as the light enabled it. .

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sets off at such times. Also really interesting reading your route as I have planned something very similar for a few weeks time when I have a bash at a 100 for the first time. Need to do an 80 first, but I've been keeping Skenfrith and the Severn Bridge in my pocket for prizes for when I get to that 100 level.

Club ride to Wokingham .
Went via Runnymead and through Windsor, White Waltham, past Dinton Pastures, turning back to our destination. When there it was very busy and not much place to sit, so went back to Billingbear Golf Course, which we had passed earlier. It was much better and we sat outside in pleasant location in glorious sunshine.

Return route was parallel just a bit further south on Drft road and through the park. Though not really windy. It was against the wind during return. Though we kept the speed up

48.8 miles @16.8 mph 975 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/1131330242

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Looked out of the back door window this morning. The weather was leaking down over the bit of Leeds I live in, so I resigned myself to having a dirty bike to clean later and pedalled away on the Ellis Briggs. A wander around the Holbeck Triangle, all sorts of things are lost there, convinced me to alter my intended route for the morning, and I headed for Office Lock and the canal towpath.

First to Headingley, via that climb from the bottom of Viaduct Road to the top of Cardigan Road. Then further up to cross the Ring Road at one of the West Parks there are. Only Leeds would provide two West Parks within a couple of miles of each other. On the same road. Having navigated the dichotomy, continue along the A 660 until Church Lane and turn right. I do chuckle at the nearness of Adel Church to Adel Dam, and wish the name included the ‘n’.

Anyway, continue straight on, aiming for the New Inn close to Eccup. This road has recently been resurfaced so the rattles and clangs and general big bad bouncieness ( err, OK but it is a word to me ) have been amplified a little too much. Especially on the descent to Weardly.

Through the village and turn right along the A 659, turning left at the end for Harewood Bridge and the crossing of the Wharfe. Carry on a while and take the right turn for Kirkby Overblow, even though the sign warned the road was closed. Just after crossing Keswick Beck there is the right turn for Netherby, and the road had freshly painted white lines. Let’s go that way! There is an upside to this road. Kearby Bank is still steep enough to beat me, and this time it still had another 130 yards of up left. A long walk. Turn right, towards and through Sicklinghall to banish all memory of that hill. Wetherby next. I had thought of this place and the repair work that is still going on, but figured a ride around the nether end of Wetherby after passing Netherby, nope, a collection of written ethers does little to enlarge the grin. Must do better. So, all the way back to Leeds along the A 58 with all the ups and downs the road provides the legs were feeling the ups a bit. Boot Hill, mostly traffic free and Wetherby Road to the Oakwood Clock followed by a wend around the less pretty bits Leeds tries not to show, through Hunslet which is even less pretty and 34 miles after leaving, the return to my front door. Oh! The leaky sky stopped, so a mostly dry ride. Smiles.

A map. A similar ride was done last month, Hmm.

14082017.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
An enjoyable wander by the Kelvin and the Clyde with Freewheel North
temporary_file1267355404.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Been lazy or busy lately, hadn't really done much on the bike for a month barring two gym visits while on holiday. I was going to commute today and talked myself out of it...i feel jet lagged and have only slept 3 hours each night for the last couple days. But, finish work, get sorted and out for 19 miles this evening, pushed along a bit (no great speed compared to the old days but felt good)

Let's hope for a good night's sleep tonight.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Yesterday's ride.
29 miles in a straight line following the rivers Tweed and Ettrick as far as the end of the public road.

IMG_20170813_151851.jpg

No mobile phone reception. Nine miles to the nearest shop, ten to the nearest pub. Over twenty miles to the nearest public transport. Nothing but hills, trees, and sheep.
The last eight miles is a dead end which even the Google streetview car hasn't ventured up. The road was rebuilt a couple of years ago with grants from the timber transport fund after the surface had been destroyed by timber lorries. The new surface is billiard table smooth, it's downhill and there's usually a tailwind. :hyper:

Apart from that, the following video contains no close passes or any other sort of cycling incident.

View: https://vimeo.com/229604041

64 miles in all at 17.0 mph.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Yesterday's ride.
29 miles in a straight line following the rivers Tweed and Ettrick as far as the end of the public road.

No mobile phone reception. Nine miles to the nearest shop, ten to the nearest pub. Over twenty miles to the nearest public transport. Nothing but hills, trees, and sheep.

The old days eh, before all this technology nonsense.....if only....

rugby bloke

Veteran
A bit of late report from Sunday. The morning dawned bright with blue sky, so it was certainly a bike day. With no fixed plan, beyond not cycling more than 50 miles and definitely including a stop for cake I headed off eastwards, following the Nene to Grendon and then turning right and climbing up through Wollaston.

At this point I noticed a couple of things - there were loads of roadies out, most of them quicker than me and there were lots of old minis - it must be old mini day at Santa Pod. I followed the road to Santa Pod with the old minis for company and then turned right to Hinwick. The road is now sporting lots of white paint around the numerous pot holes - in fact it would have been quicker to mark the bits of road that did not need attention. Hopefully a decent resurfacing job will transform this into the excellent climb it should be.

By now my mind is made up - I'm going to tackle a ride I grew to hate when I was forcing myself to ride long distances when I was unfit and using a crap old mtb. So its a left turn at Harrold and we are off - Odell, over the river to Felmerston, Chellington, Turvey, Newton Blossomville and Emberton. 15 miles later what have we learnt - well, its lumpy as it ever was, but with more fitness and a better bike its considerably less painful then I remember. I might even be back.

Coffee and cake is taken at the garden centre at Sherington. Very nice, would recommend to anyone looking for a place to stop. Back on the road, through Filgrave and Tyringham and onto the Stoke Goldington Road. Never my favorite leg - lumpy, narrow with lots of fast cars. Coming out of Stoke Goldington I spot a gaggle of mtb riders, presumably heading for Salcey. I'm just about on their tail when I'm over taken by a large tractor and a couple of cars. The tractor is then stuck behind the mtb riders so I cruise along behind the cars and have a breather.

Things open up after the Salcey turn and I head for home and then I come across the inevitable idiot who spoils every ride. As I approach a cyclist coming the other way, the cock in the Audi Q7 behind the cyclist decides to over take him just as I'm passing. The gap he decides to squeeze through is pretty narrow and the closing speed is comfortably north of 70 mph ... Breath deeply and move on.

A final sprint past Area 52 to Denton, up to Brayfield and home. Just over 40 miles ridden.
upload_2017-8-15_13-29-29.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

A short and steady ride for me today, 42 miles over to the Newton Regis Garden Store. Now whilst it was short and steady it contained a little bit of climbing and was hard work in places. I was planning a simple out and back ride but couldn't resist a little bit of exploring, on the way back I rode into Polesworth and at the crossroads turned left, then turned right by the bridge onto Sandy Way lane, the continued onto DordonHall Lane and turned right onto Spon Lane to cross the A5 at the next roundabout down from where I crossed the road on the way out. This brought me out on Boot Hill, a climb I remember from club rides in the 1980's, continued through Baddesley Ensor, then right onto the Coleshill road and then left onto Green lane to join the route I used on the way out, A pleasantly warm bright and breezy morning, good for a bike ride, the breeze was making me work in places but wasn't slowing me down much.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16902450

Top Bottom