Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Back from Hunstanton, bloody knackered.

Monday Ride out to Hunstanton

Left the house at 06:30. Told our lass I should be there about 3pm. She was driving with number two son. Out bound leg was to go north of Rutland Water and bag a couple of squares on the way. One of them south of Cottesmore had either a bridleway through a field or a quick scoot down a driveway to a farm. Decided to do the farm one but when I got there the drive was blocked off with security fencing and a new loose stone car park next to it. Looked like the place was being converted into posh housing. Anyway cheeky bugger that I am I asked the builders if I could ride through the car park and back - squared bagged. ^_^

After that it was over to Great Casterton to get across the A1 and through Stamford where I got flagged down by a car looking for shops, pointed him towards the town centre.

I went through Peterborough and like all built up areas it had some very nice areas and some right dives but I was very impressed with the cycle route along the River Nene and into Whittlesey. Some of it could do with a bit of fresh tarmac but it was well signposted and completely traffic free.

After that I was well and truly in the Fens and with the wind behind me it was by far the best part of the ride, through March and then Elm and into stacks of tiny villages.

Two things that caught my attention:

(1) the lack of signage, the rivers didn't have them, a lot of the villages didn't have them and apart from near Stamford I didn't see any county signs.
(2) The area south of Kings Lynn must have some German history - I saw a couple of farms that looked like they were owned by Germany companies and there were the odd villages with German in their name (that might just be coincidence and relate to something else)

Finally got to Kings Lynn around the 95 mile. Found a Tesco express and grabbed a meal deal and rode another 5 or 6 miles to Castle Rising where I sat on a bench and scoffed it. I went through Sandringham, that place is fantastic, well kept roads and loads of trees made it really nice to ride through. I then had another 13 or so miles through fantastic tiny lanes. I stopped at Old Hunstanton to take the obligatory bike with the sea in the picture picture:

View attachment 368323

I couldn't get hold of our lass so I decided to ride around Hunstanton and immediately spotted the her in the car.

Spent yesterday in the place and rode back today.

Ride Back to Leicester
The ride home was very hard work with the wind pretty much against me. I had a big breakfast before I set off which was very late for me at just gone 9am.

I had a cafe stop planned for around the 75 mile mark but decided to ditch it and knock 4 miles off the route I must admit by this time I was fed up of the wind. Anyway just after this I came to a road closed sign and the diversion added 5 miles to the route. :sad:

By the time I got to Uppingham I needed to replenish the drinks so stopped at a garage and got 2 litres of water, a can of coke and a bottle of lucozade. All of it drink by the time I got home. The coke made me feel better straight away which was a good job as I was about to tackle Knob Hill, which I had been dreading since I planned the route. Got up it fine but then crawled into and out of Hallaton

Got home not long after 5, the average speed 1mph slower than Monday.

Just shy of 119 miles for the out leg and 121 miles for the home leg and as posted on Monday one of my goals of cycling to the coast ticked off. :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1136767874

https://www.strava.com/activities/1136779892

Place names are probably from Anglo-Saxon.

Back from Hunstanton, bloody knackered.

Monday Ride out to Hunstanton

Left the house at 06:30. Told our lass I should be there about 3pm. She was driving with number two son. Out bound leg was to go north of Rutland Water and bag a couple of squares on the way. One of them south of Cottesmore had either a bridleway through a field or a quick scoot down a driveway to a farm. Decided to do the farm one but when I got there the drive was blocked off with security fencing and a new loose stone car park next to it. Looked like the place was being converted into posh housing. Anyway cheeky bugger that I am I asked the builders if I could ride through the car park and back - squared bagged. ^_^

After that it was over to Great Casterton to get across the A1 and through Stamford where I got flagged down by a car looking for shops, pointed him towards the town centre.

I went through Peterborough and like all built up areas it had some very nice areas and some right dives but I was very impressed with the cycle route along the River Nene and into Whittlesey. Some of it could do with a bit of fresh tarmac but it was well signposted and completely traffic free.

After that I was well and truly in the Fens and with the wind behind me it was by far the best part of the ride, through March and then Elm and into stacks of tiny villages.

Two things that caught my attention:

(1) the lack of signage, the rivers didn't have them, a lot of the villages didn't have them and apart from near Stamford I didn't see any county signs.
(2) The area south of Kings Lynn must have some German history - I saw a couple of farms that looked like they were owned by Germany companies and there were the odd villages with German in their name (that might just be coincidence and relate to something else)

Finally got to Kings Lynn around the 95 mile. Found a Tesco express and grabbed a meal deal and rode another 5 or 6 miles to Castle Rising where I sat on a bench and scoffed it. I went through Sandringham, that place is fantastic, well kept roads and loads of trees made it really nice to ride through. I then had another 13 or so miles through fantastic tiny lanes. I stopped at Old Hunstanton to take the obligatory bike with the sea in the picture picture:

View attachment 368323

I couldn't get hold of our lass so I decided to ride around Hunstanton and immediately spotted the her in the car.

Spent yesterday in the place and rode back today.

Ride Back to Leicester
The ride home was very hard work with the wind pretty much against me. I had a big breakfast before I set off which was very late for me at just gone 9am.

I had a cafe stop planned for around the 75 mile mark but decided to ditch it and knock 4 miles off the route I must admit by this time I was fed up of the wind. Anyway just after this I came to a road closed sign and the diversion added 5 miles to the route. :sad:

By the time I got to Uppingham I needed to replenish the drinks so stopped at a garage and got 2 litres of water, a can of coke and a bottle of lucozade. All of it drink by the time I got home. The coke made me feel better straight away which was a good job as I was about to tackle Knob Hill, which I had been dreading since I planned the route. Got up it fine but then crawled into and out of Hallaton

Got home not long after 5, the average speed 1mph slower than Monday.

Just shy of 119 miles for the out leg and 121 miles for the home leg and as posted on Monday one of my goals of cycling to the coast ticked off. :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1136767874

https://www.strava.com/activities/1136779892
Well done @Supersuperleeds Really good ride

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Back on the commute today, with an extra 4 miles added first thing on a quick trip to Sainsburys. Total today 27.5 miles, so far this month 496 miles. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get the next 280 miles in to reach the target before the end of the month, might have to sneak a bike in the van to Wales....

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met Margaret PR and Jules H at Powick. I had a plan but the others weren't so keen. So we rode through to Knightwick where they headed off for the Mayfly. I fancied something a bit more challenging so I stuck to the original plan to climb to Clifton-on-Teme and then head for the climb at Kyre Park. On the summit I wondered. How about a spontaneous change and head for Pembridge? So I did. It would be further but I was up for some challenge today. On by Laysters took me across the busy A49 to Yarpole. From there it wasn't far to Eardisland where I stopped for some lunch. I chatted with my lady host and to two locals who arrived on bikes. Lovely village is Eardisland on the River Arrow.

I looped to Pembridge where my far point was. From there I took some new lanes for Weobley and the stiff 17% climb over to Burghill. I think my map is getting on a bit as there were roads here that aren't on the map. Well I'm sticking to that story. I didn't go off course really just a bit confused. The church is always a good landmark so it wasn't long before I crossed that fast and busy A49 for Moreton-on-Lugg. Now I didn't need the map as I was very familiar with these lanes. So at Bartestree I wondered again. What if I took in some climbs in the Marcle Hills and return from Much Marcle? Well that would ensure the full 100 miles I reckoned. I let my front wheel decide. It lead me on to the Canwood climb in the Marcles. 80 miles in the legs - this could be interesting. Well it wasn't that bad and it was nice to be riding in the Marcles rather than the less scenic alternative. After Woolhope I climbed up onto the Marcle Ridge where the cloudscape and views were superb. I dropped to Much Marcle where I stopped for some orange squash and a bottle top up at the Pub. Now I put the pace up to take the fairly standard run back by Bromsberrow and the Castlemorton lanes. I felt strong and rode briskly at up to and over "evens". Only helped a tiny bit by some wind blowing in the helpful direction for once. Great ride today with a couple of spontaneous changes of plan that gave me my first imperial century this year. 107 big smiles

galaxy

Veteran
I met Margaret PR and Jules H at Powick. I had a plan but the others weren't so keen. So we rode through to Knightwick where they headed off for the Mayfly. I fancied something a bit more challenging so I stuck to the original plan to climb to Clifton-on-Teme and then head for the climb at Kyre Park. On the summit I wondered. How about a spontaneous change and head for Pembridge? So I did. It would be further but I was up for some challenge today. On by Laysters took me across the busy A49 to Yarpole. From there it wasn't far to Eardisland where I stopped for some lunch. I chatted with my lady host and to two locals who arrived on bikes. Lovely village is Eardisland on the River Arrow.

I looped to Pembridge where my far point was. From there I took some new lanes for Weobley and the stiff 17% climb over to Burghill. I think my map is getting on a bit as there were roads here that aren't on the map. Well I'm sticking to that story. I didn't go off course really just a bit confused. The church is always a good landmark so it wasn't long before I crossed that fast and busy A49 for Moreton-on-Lugg. Now I didn't need the map as I was very familiar with these lanes. So at Bartestree I wondered again. What if I took in some climbs in the Marcle Hills and return from Much Marcle? Well that would ensure the full 100 miles I reckoned. I let my front wheel decide. It lead me on to the Canwood climb in the Marcles. 80 miles in the legs - this could be interesting. Well it wasn't that bad and it was nice to be riding in the Marcles rather than the less scenic alternative. After Woolhope I climbed up onto the Marcle Ridge where the cloudscape and views were superb. I dropped to Much Marcle where I stopped for some orange squash and a bottle top up at the Pub. Now I put the pace up to take the fairly standard run back by Bromsberrow and the Castlemorton lanes. I felt strong and rode briskly at up to and over "evens". Only helped a tiny bit by some wind blowing in the helpful direction for once. Great ride today with a couple of spontaneous changes of plan that gave me my first imperial century this year. 107 big smiles
Turn right in Leysters down the Hundred and you pass my house . Pop in and have a brew.

galaxy

Veteran
Your welcome message me in advance ill give you my addy.

pjd57

Veteran
Pleasant run to Balloch ( Loch Lomond). 21 miles along the canal and cycle path, which runs right through a big field full of cows.
IMG_20170817_132733883_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

It's another 21 home as well. The cows don't seem too bothered by the bikes

Back in the saddle today after a little bit of a hiatus - a total of 11 miles clocked up running assorted errands as the car decided to cook its clutch yesterday.

Was certainly interesting coming back from the co-op with a large backpack full of comestibles whilst cycling into a vicious headwind. Ah well, I certainly earnt one of the pair of creme brulees that I picked up for 47p on yellow sticker. :hungry:

It's been exactly a year since I started cycling. :dance: Back then, three miles and I was so totally out for the count... For the rest of the day... :heat:

Saw a chap in full get-up on a MTB out cycling with his two daughters - the girls prolly around 8 and 4 years of age. Looked like they were having fun. :smile:

Original had intentions of doing some hills, but a slight chance or rain later, cut down the ride a bit.

This is with variations one of my frequent loops

Through Chertsey and Chobham, up the A319 and the Red Road to Frimley, turn left on the mostly downhill to Deepcut and beyond, left when the road more or less runs out and through Pirbright and Knaphill and passing Fairoaks.

Diverted via Addlestone, the rain was coming, sheltered in a shop front for about 10 minutes, it got pretty heavy. Dashed home when it eased a bit.

Cleaned the bike this afternoon (needed it).

36.2 miles @ 17.5 mph
942 feet climbed

Pleased that speed still good. It did not seem so hard today. ((Or maybe I am getting used to riding at this pace)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1139572411

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Silly idea day today. Let’s climb more hills, the grey cell decided. So we did, the passenger grey cell and I. Better decisions have been made.

The trip through Holbeck to reach Office Lock, and the ride along the towpath to Viaduct Road provide an opportunity to look at the lack of progress on that bit of Leed’s Flood Defences along Water Lane. I am a layman, so I should not venture opinions on stuff I know nowt of. Maybe.

Cardigan Road, Headingley, West Park Ring Road then Otley Old Road to prolong the climbing all the way to the water tower. A brief stretch of downhill then up again in sight of the airport and further on to the A 658, turn right and Wheee!! down Pool Bank. Cross river number two, the Wharfe, and take the next left. For a change, do not cross Leathley Bridge, carry straight on to go through the village itself, and still straight on a while until Cinder Lane, the road to Lindley, appears. Turn left onto that. It crosses the Washburn River, should that be one or two of its tributaries? Anyway, it then climbs steeply to Farnley. Heaving lungs and bottom gear. At Farnley School, turn right. Left goes to Otley and the average way back home and I rashly wanted more than average. The B 6451 winds generally northwards and upwards until the descent to Lindley Wood Reservoir, after which, see the video, it climbs again. Steeply.

What passes for my memory says the next turn is to the right, at Bland Hill. This takes you to Beckwithshaw, and I turned the wrong way. Realised after a bit, returned on my tracks into the village and turned right which some time later took me to North Rigton. Earlier, before I had turned a pedal, I had intended to head for Leeds here but take the left to Kirkby Overblow. My legs said no, the A 61 home would be fine, no need of the extra ten miles or so or the climbing involved either. I did detour along Street Lane to the park gates, a little less traffic and a friendlier to bikes way through the mess of Sheepscar to reach the river at Crown Point Bridge. Ride up a different Leathley Road and the A 653 to home. Forty two point six miles and 3000 + feet of climbing. No wonder I feel black lacquered! All that up stuff lowered my average speed by about a mile an hour, it varies anyway but not by that much. And today it does not matter, a cracking ride!

The map. Which should have contour lines for tired . . .

18082017.jpg

jayonabike