Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual, was a ride I've been planning for quite a while. I'd mapped it out and realised that, for me anyway, quite a challenging route.
With some assistance from @Rickshaw Phil on the roads, as he's ridden some of them, I felt reassured as it's all a bit narrow!

I'd prepped the bike, and loaded everything I'd need for the day the evening before, set off in the car at 03:30 :ohmy:
Arriving 140 miles later at 07:30 in Abertridwr, where I wanted to park, the weather forecast was exactly wrong! It should have stopped raining by 07:00. Still, skin's waterproof, and I have decent gear to keep me dry!

With a mile of so to pedal to lake Vrynwy, and the stunning dam wall,

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

With the rain continuing to fall from the sky, I decided to do the 12 mile circuit of Vrynwy and see how it went. I wasn't going to drive all that way for a 12 mile ride though!!

IMG_2999.JPG

What the heck, I started of up the hills towards Bala via the Bwlch-y-Groes pass into the mists and rain.

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

It was officially pissing down by now, and blowing a hooley!

IMG_3013.JPG

At this point, I stopped for a breather :laugh:

With the rain slackening off a bit, I descended into Bala, and through the town. I did want to do a circuit of the lake, but the A494 to the west of the lake, is a narrow and busy road. Not conducive to riding, sadly, and the locals seemed to prefer waving at people they know rather than watching where they're going!! (my only close call of the day was in Bala.)

IMG_3027.JPG

Lake Bala is lovely though, if a bit choppy in the wind.

Having crossed over the hills to get there, I had to ride back over the Hirnant Pass to get back to Vrynwy.. At least the weather had cheered up!

I did ask a few passing folk for directions to, but they weren't local. The chap I finally found who knew the right road was extremely Welsh! He pronounced villages that I'd seen on the OS map in a totally different way that I would have :laugh:. Great to hear the proper pronunciations though..

The roads on the way back were, I think, even steeper than on the way there, and the rain had been replaced by a headwind. Just what's needed on Cat 3 and Cat 4 climbs.

IMG_3031.JPG

And the last bit of road visible isn't quite the top. I managed to ride all the way up, but did stop a couple of times to admire the view :whistle:
Jeez, but that was a toughie!!

The descent, however.. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! ^_^

With a few miles to do to get my metric century of the month, I took the longer way back round Lake Vrynwy and after a couple of exploratory sorties up side roads, to see where they went, I stopped for coffee and chocolate & beetroot cake at the cafe, my only proper stop of the ride.

Bala.png

An absolutely smashing ride, with the cr*p weather paling into insignificance once it cleared.

63 miles, 4,500 feet of 'up'.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1138459727

:smile:

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Hired a bike again yesterday to do the peninsula route from Marazion, around the coast through Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole, Paul, St Buryan, Sennen, St Just, up and down through the little villages along the north coast to St Ives and then across back to the south coast through delightful countryside where having taken a wrong turning I tried to find the route I wanted via the little white roads, luckily a lady farmer was on hand to send me the right way around the valley and back to where I knew. Very mixed weather, from showers to mist (I couldn't see the sea for a while :sad: ) to glorious sunshine. 50 miles.

Then a sneaky 12 miles this morning before I took the bike back. Up to the top of the hill out of Marazion for one last blast down then through Penzance and up to Newlyn where I took lots of pictures and realised that a quick sprint was needed to return the bike. With the wind behind me, a wonderful start to our last day in Cornwall. - After the 20 minute walk back to the apartment and whilst still sweaty I then had a lovely swim in the sea. Almost a triathlon!! Ha ha. Not.

(I do have photos but my phone seems to have stopped synchronising them to Photos, so I'll add from the phone later.)

Thursday

IMG_20170817_133515458.jpg
IMG_20170817_133351778.jpg
IMG_20170817_122929277.jpg

Friday

IMG_20170818_094655826.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Popped my nose out of the door this morning to see trees bent horizontal by the wind and a distinct chill in the air. Yep, it's still August...^_^

So knees warmers were added to the cycling attire for the first time in months and it was back out with only a vague idea of a route in mind. Which inevitably meant I found myself wending up Coal Road, stopping after just half a mile to put my windproof jacket on. :cold:
Huffing and puffing into the wind, I turned up Red Hall Lane, along the A58, then Whin Moor Lane, dropping down and spinning along to keep moving forward :dry:
and into Shadwell, where it was left (back into the wind) and up to Slaid Hill lights. From there it was along Wigton Lane where I decided that I was getting bored of spinning into a wind so blustery that it had nearly stopped me twice and I turned round and benefitted from a bit of a tail wind back to Wike Ridge Road.
Up on to Tarn Lane where the tail wind whizzed me along to Ling Lane, down the hill back onto the A58 and the speedy descent into Scarcroft and right onto Thorner Lane and the gentle descent before the climb up Hellwood (aka Scarcroft Hill), across the former railway line and onto Milner Lane for a swift scoot along to Rigton.

From there it was on to a surprisingly busy Compton Lane (I encountered three vehicles, which is virtually unheard of...:laugh: ), stopping for a couple of pics at the bench, looking down into the valley across Bardsey:
IMG_20170819_090059324_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170819_090213676_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170819_090227466_HDR.jpg

There had been a threat of rain in the air for most of the ride, and the leading edge of a shower caught up with me here, so it was on the bike and back on my way trying to stay in front of it.
I eventually reached Jewitt Lane and had a decision to made - down the hill back on to the A58 and then towards Wetherby or Boston Spa, meaning I'd likely get in a qualifying metric half but would have a lot of the route back into that wind, or up the hill for a shorter but less weather effected ride.
You won't be surprised to hear that I turned up the hill, past the piggeries and the ride across the top, nicely sheltered from the wind by the hedgerows - apart from a couple of interesting moments as I passed gates or gaps in the hedge and battled to avoid a change of direction :rolleyes:

Caught up with a horse and rider and slowed down to announce my presence (can't be too careful with horses) and was rewarded for my consideration with a really cheery thank you and the biggest smile of the day from the rider. ^_^

Up onto yet another Thorner Lane and back into the wind for a short stretch back onto Milner Lane, which I took all the way back into Thorner. Through the village and onto Carr Lane for the up, down and more up back to the A58, which was at least sheltered from the wind for the first half.
A quick(ish) blast along the A58 and then the climb on to Coal Road, which should have ben wind-assisted but which didn't feel like it.
Then it was local roads down to home, with a final wiggle round the block to round the mileage up

21.0 miles (33.8km) in 1h 36m at a slow average of 13.1mph and with 1,020ft climbed.

Well, with the headwind from hell to contend with, I'll take that. It was good to get out and blow the cobwebs of the week away and I just about stayed clear of the showers. Quite a few cyclists out and about despite the early hour and blustery wind, and with only one close passing muppet all day, that'll do for me.

And to end, a map:
19082017.JPG

A final note - with the news that Linton Bridge is finally set to re-open on Saturday 2nd September, after being closed since the Boxing Day floods of 2015, it will be good to open up a couple of variations of routes through Collingham, Linton and the area. Which will also mean I'll have a reason to go down the big hill on Jewitt Lane...:okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today's windy ride was from Keyworth in Notts. It was a 3 brothers tandem ride.
IMG_4406.JPG

We went south for a bit and then north into Nottingham. As we passed the City Ground there was a huge ROAR! I'd like to think it was for us, but it was around the time of the first goal.

As I don't really know where we've been I'll give you some pictures and a strava map.

Nearly 50 miles.
IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4431.JPG

IMG_4432.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1141400737

13 rider

Guru
View attachment 368811

We went south for a bit and then north into Nottingham. As we passed the City Ground there was a huge ROAR! I'd like to think it was for us, but it was around the time of the first goal.

As I don't really know where we've been I'll give you some pictures and a strava map.

Nearly 50 miles.
View attachment 368812
View attachment 368813
View attachment 368814
View attachment 368815
View attachment 368816
View attachment 368817
View attachment 368818
View attachment 368819
View attachment 368820

Some nice local roads to me. I bet the downhill out of Saxibly to Asfordby was fun on a tandem

delb0y

Legendary Member
Today I planned the next stage in my progress towards my first ever 100. The plan was to leave Gloucester, head north, and take the lanes up the west side of the Malverns, cut across the top of them (after they'd levelled out) and take the lanes down towards Upton on Severn where I would deliver my sister's birthday presents. From there it would be cross-country all the way home, and it would add up to 80 miles - a nice flat and easy 80 miles...

I set off at 6:15. There was a beautiful sunrise.

36502170292_afdb8cfccc_z.jpg

The first part of the plan worked perfectly. I'm always amazed at what a beautiful country we live in and this was perfect olde English villages and countryside. The Garmin was brilliant. I love those moments when you're riding down a tiny ("Not suitable for Heavy Vehicles") lane and then the Garmin sends you down somewhere even narrower.

I passed the M50 (I think):

36671574895_59f5f12474_z.jpg

and soon spied the Malverns around which I would be circling:

36275611200_fbbaa3b501_z.jpg

36625411656_e581ba48e4_z.jpg

And then, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by hedges the Garmin advised me to take a right turn. But where? Just then a lady and a dog appeared, seemingly from nowhere, but actually from a narrow footpath. I enquired as to whether the path was suitable for a bike? "Oh yes, just go through the gate and you'll love it..."

Sure enough, the path opened up into a marvellous mile or so of descending track through beautiful apple orchards. Absolutely lovely few minutes riding.

36671576405_ba6b6b48b1_z.jpg

36502174272_b22990a435_z.jpg

However, by this time I was starting to realise that my plan for a flat ride had gone somewhat askew. There's a lot of uphill in them there Malverns, even the foothills (turned out to be 5452 feet of climbing).

Alas, that wonderful first half of the ride then went horribly wrong. As is its way, the Garmin suddenly decided that it had done enough work and simply stopped directing me. I know: I should have taken a map. But coming down from the Malverns I lost my way and ended up cycling to the outskirts of Worcester before turning round and working my way back down the east side of the Malverns:

36671575125_667c9900aa_z.jpg

Got to Upton on Severn Marina an hour later than planned, got bitten by a geese, and only had a quick stop before heading into a vicious headwind all the way home.

36625408826_565cb3530b_z.jpg

The ride turned out to be 90 miles instead of 80, about 7.5 hours riding time, and the longest ride I've done in my life. Nice to think that at age 54 I'm doing my longest ride ever, despite a life-time of riding. I reckon I'm ready for that hundred now. But it won't be for a few weeks as (a) I've got gigs next weekend and (b) my knee was hurting all the way home so I reckon it needs a rest.

Cheers
Derek

Popped my nose out of the door this morning to see trees bent horizontal by the wind and a distinct chill in the air. Yep, it's still August...^_^

So knees warmers were added to the cycling attire for the first time in months and it was back out with only a vague idea of a route in mind
I thought that, before I set off to the ParkRun this morning
It was bit breezy, at Pontefract RaceCourse, enough to try & find the biggest guy who was near my pace, for a bit of shelter on the stretch near the Grandstand
Who'd have thought you'd have to draft in a ParkRun!!!:laugh:

Once home, & breakfasted, I got changed
Decided on more clothes than leg-warmers, so a pair of thermal bib-tights, a Giordana jacket, completed with a skull cap. under the helmet
Heading down Birkwood Hill, on the CGR, was the usual strong wind scenario; hard to push anything higher than a 50 x 17
Heck!, even the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal had waves, at 'Stanley Ferry'!!

Thankfully, after turning off Ferry Lane, onto Aberford Road, it turned into a tailwind, most of the way, up through Stanley, past Moorhouse, & over the junction with the M62 (jct 30)
Dropping down towards Rothwell Sports Centre allowed a bit of speed to be gained, only to be checked by the overly-cautious Fiesta driver at the roundabout
Riding through Woodlesford, past Coopers (of Oulton, the Ford main-dealer) was a bit of a workout, as I had a rather large Tractor, with an artic sized trailer (via a 5th wheel 'dolly-trailer') behind me
I didn't want to hold him up, but I wasn't stopping

Thankfully he overtook, as we headed towards the railway bridge

As I crossed the Canal, & river (Aire), it was a left turn onto Bullerthorpe Lane, & the long steady climb, towards Colton, and Selby Road
I did, however, decide to short-cut. & took the 'Carriage Drive' through the Woods, to Temple Newsam
Sorry for the odd focus, it seems to have locked onto the bridge

DSCF3632.JPG DSCF3633.JPG

Once down in the Estate itself, & by the 'cascade' brought back memories of racing Cyclo-Cross in that part of the grounds in the early 1990s, when you could ride through running water
We went through here (the far side is now fenced off, & overgrown)
I'm sure that the old picture of a buddy, & me, was taken on that bridge (or very close by)
DSCF3635.JPG DSCF3637.JPG Cycling. 1990s. Cyclo-Cross. 1994 Jonathon Noble Memorial.jpg

Once up the top of the grounds, following the ParkRun route, my reason for visiting was reached, as it was the St Gemmas Hospice Car-Show there:okay:
(open linky bit, for some photos)

I rode home, via the normal north lodge entrance, towards Whitkirk
There used to be a miniature railway in the top corner, near the gate-lodges, not sure how many years since it was removed though
Maybe it'll be in here?
http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=583

I rode out that way, with the express intention of looking at the Templar crosses on various houses, near the junction with Selby Road, as a friend/collegue had asked about me about the Knights Templars (as they're associated with a site near where I live; NewLands Hall)

DSCF3655.JPG DSCF3656.JPG DSCF3662.JPG

The ride home, was with an intermittent wind direction, and some rain, along Selby Road, to the trading estate, at the top of Bullerthorpe Lane, then a reverse of the route back home (barring the little one-way section of Aberford Road, in Oulton)

Three remaining days-off, so definitely another ride out tomorrow
Where to??, I have no idea, yet:unsure:

A final note - with the news that Linton Bridge is finally set to re-open on Saturday 2nd September, after being closed since the Boxing Day floods of 2015, it will be good to open up a couple of variations of routes through Collingham, Linton and the area. Which will also mean I'll have a reason to go down the big hill on Jewitt Lane...:okay:
I'll have to ride up & have a look at that one day

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nowt but commuting miles the last couple of days (nights). I suppose of note the Boardman CX Team has just ticked over 7000 miles (7026 as of arriving at work tonight), and aside from new chains it's had only a cassette, replacement BB and rear brake pads, so can't complain given some of the weather it's been through.
So far this month, 585 miles done of the 777 required for the Strava distance challenge. It's looking like I may actually make it....

13 rider

Guru
I can't remember which one that was. There was a potholed road into a cheese place, Long Clawson... Cropwell Bishop (near Hickling) where we had 42mph? Big cross winds though.
It's was the one before the garden centre at Asfordby . But yeah the drop into the Vale of Belvoir at Long Clawson would have been a blast and it was properly windy today

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
View attachment 368811

Nearly 50 miles.
View attachment 368812
View attachment 368813
View attachment 368814
View attachment 368815
View attachment 368816
View attachment 368817
View attachment 368818
View attachment 368819
View attachment 368820

You were very close to Nice Pie cafe which is a favourite stop of a few of us Leicestershire cc'ers

gavgav

Guru
Been feeling very lethargic and tired for the past few days and so made myself get out on the bike for a short ride, this morning, before playing cricket this afternoon.

Nice and Sunny for a change, but still a keen breeze from the SW, which meant hard work at times on this route.

Headed out to Betton Abbots, then the lumpy section through Chilton and down to Atcham. Crossed the bridge and then flew up Atcham straight (well for me anyway!!) with the wind behind me, before turning up Pelham Road to Upton Magna. One of the local farmers has dragged half of his field along most of this road and so it's a muddy mess!

It was into the wind from there onwards, into Uffington, along the old canal path, Sundorne Rd and then down the cycle paths to Reabrook, along the old railway track and through Sutton Farm to home.

14.8 miles at 13.0 mph and feel much much better for having got out, which shows how good cycling is for us :okay:

Top Bottom