Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
First ever 100 miler for me today. Followed the Tweed all the way from my house to its source, with one small deviation to the Dawyk Botanic Gardens Cafe. Then down the Devils Beef Tub, where the appearance of a rescue helicopter suggested someone needed rescuing. (not me, but close!)
IMG_20170820_132953.jpg

Then down Greenhillstairs and between the A74(M) and the WCML down Beattock bank and another cafe stop in Moffat. Then up Moffatdale with a quick photo stop at the Grey Mare's Tail (It must have been quite wet last night).
IMG_20170820_153255.jpg

Then back down Yarrowdale to Selkirk and thence home. 105 miles @16.1 mph according to the bike computer, 103.5 miles according to Strava.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
24 mile round trip to Moulton, the other side of Newmarket to some friends for a lunchtime bar-b-que

IMG_2155.JPG

A hill! Most of my rides to be in the other direction, on the fen because there are so many car free routes to choose from. I rarely venture this way because of lousy drivers, which is a shame as the country is lovely with some decent climbs to play with.

IMG_2156.JPG

Looking back into town from the top.

IMG_2157.JPG

Destination reached- Moulton. The Packhorse Bridge. Despite such a wet summer, no stream running at the moment.

IMG_2158.JPG

After a rather more boozy lunch than was probably sensible, I headed back a slightly different way.
Between Moulton and Cheveley is quite a long steep hill. At the top (also the county boundary) I stopped to look down across much of Thetford Forest as far a Swaffham in Norfolk. Through the bins the wind farm at S. Pickenham was clearly visible- must be 35 miles away I reckon. Pity it's such a crap pic!

A really nice ride and the drivers mostly behaved themselves for a change. No doubt next time I'll be back on the fens- the pull of car-free routes always proves too strong.

13 rider

Guru
First ever 100 miler for me today. Followed the Tweed all the way from my house to its source, with one small deviation to the Dawyk Botanic Gardens Cafe. Then down the Devils Beef Tub, where the appearance of a rescue helicopter suggested someone needed rescuing. (not me, but close!)
View attachment 369074

Then down Greenhillstairs and between the A74(M) and the WCML down Beattock bank and another cafe stop in Moffat. Then up Moffatdale with a quick photo stop at the Grey Mare's Tail (It must have been quite wet last night). View attachment 369078

Then back down Yarrowdale to Selkirk and thence home. 105 miles @16.1 mph according to the bike computer, 103.5 miles according to Strava.
Well done :thumbsup:first Imperial century feels great . Did you watch the odometer go into 3 figures

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
View attachment 369074

Then down Greenhillstairs and between the A74(M) and the WCML down Beattock bank and another cafe stop in Moffat. Then up Moffatdale with a quick photo stop at the Grey Mare's Tail (It must have been quite wet last night). View attachment 369078

Well done on the 100 miler :bravo:
Thanks for the memories too. Devil's Beeftub, Grey Mare's Tail, Greenhillstairs etc. Very long time since I haunted those parts :thumbsup:

Reaching the village I was feeling good and decided I'd ad a little more on and took Lotherton Lane under the A1(M), climbing up to Lotherton Gates and then heading along the Tadcaster Road, heading for Saxton. Another nice bit of downhill here, all the way to the Crooked Billet pub, where I was passed (impeccably) by a group of about a dozen motorcyclists, presumably out for a blast before heading to Squires.

Left it was, along a near deserted Raw Lane for the long run into the village. Over the railway bridge, where a group of photographers was gathered (Flying Scotsman, again?) and down the other side, before stopping for a drink and a photo or two of my own:
View attachment 369005 View attachment 369006
I was just about to get back in the saddle when a couple of cyclists slowed alongside me - "morning, everything alright?". "yep, all good thanks" and they were off - always good to be asked though, as you never know...^_^

Anyway, down the road towards Church Fenton past the airport and onto Brackenhill Lane for a loop around the airfield. I pulled into to one of the gateways to let a guy in a Landy past and did toy with the idea of taking a photo of the bike in front of the gate, but there are signs up warning about the Official Secrets Act (presumably left over from when it was an RAF station), so I didn't bother - otherwise I might not be about to post this now :eek:

Despite that I was soon back in Ulleskelf and then back to Church Fenton to complete to airfield loop and headed into the village to be greeted by "Road Closed Ahead" signs. Well, any diversion was either going to be on roads I don't know, or send me back the way I'd just come so I decided to press on and see what the score was.
The road was definitely closed, near the (also closed) White Horse pub with works across the full width of the road and I waited a moment while someone in a camper van who'd also ignored the signs did a nine point turn to head back out of the village.
Me? I just hopped off the bike and pushed it 50 yards past the closure on the footpath :okay: Sometimes you've just got to love being on a bike haven't you? ;)

View attachment 369010 View attachment 369011 View attachment 369012

Copley Lane for the steady ascend to Lotherton Gates passing a sizeable peleton almost all in club kit heading the other way (MCC? orange and black kit?), where I could have simply retraced my earlier route home but decided to press on under the A1(M) towards Garforth.

^_^

Not far off my ride

You didn't try the Apples, at the roadside, on Dam Lane ('Billet' - Saxton)

I saw the orange/black group, on Raw Lane, as I headed towards Ulleskelf

Agreed, the road-closure in Church Fenton, a very brief pavement excursion

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Not far off my ride

You didn't try the Apples, at the roadside, on Dam Lane ('Billet' - Saxton)

I saw the orange/black group, on Raw Lane, as I headed towards Ulleskelf

Agreed, the road-closure in Church Fenton, a very brief pavement excursion

We might have crossed paths - small world.

Looks like the orange and black cyclists were these guys: http://marshescyclingclub.co.uk/gallery/

I didn't try the apples, although I nearly tried a pear when stopped at Linda's Bench...

IMG_20170820_104537423.jpg

I didn't see any partridges today...:laugh:

Last edited:
We might have crossed paths - small world.

Looks like the orange and black cyclists were these guys: http://marshescyclingclub.co.uk/gallery/

I didn't try the apples, although I nearly tried a pear when stopped at Linda's Bench...

View attachment 369091

I didn't see any partridges today...:laugh:

Could have been those guys?
I had one last week

20728104_10212416106270006_1094012548341077929_n.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Twas the CC Market Bosworth ride today organised by @13 rider

In attendance @guitarpete247 @Lilliburlero @cyberknight @Hugh Manatee @graham bowers and obviously myself and @13 rider

The plan was to meet at Market Bosworth Country Park for a 35ish mile circular route at 9am and set off at 9:10. I left the house at 6:10 in order to get 35 miles in before the meet so after the cc ride I would only need to do another 30 to get an imperial in.

Was a bit chilly, but dry and calm and as soon as the sun started to rise it started to warm up. I headed out to the edge of Nuneaton to bag some squares before turning north to Market Bosworth. I quickly realised I was going to be very early so did a loop through Shenton and Upton to add extra miles and by the time I got to the meet at around 8:45 I'd done 41 miles and @13 rider was waiting. By 9am everyone had turned up except @Hugh Manatee so we waited until 9:10 and with no sight of him we set off.

By the time we got to Newton Burgoland @guitarpete247 had to bail :sad:

18ish miles of glorious back roads between Market Bosworth and Twycross were the cafe stop was and as we are getting served @Hugh Manatee walks up and introduces himself, I think the cyclechat tops a couple of us were wearing gave us away :whistle:

Another 18ish miles of other back roads and we are back at the country park were @13 rider sister and her husband are waiting with coffee and cake for us all (thanks sis and hubby :notworthy:)

Times ticking on and @Hugh Manatee and @cyberknight had to get home, so after a second cup of coffee (and cake :hungry:) the four of us remaining set off for Measham, so two of us (@13 rider and myself) could go bag an awkward square and two of us could go home (you can work out who they are :tongue:) We split at Measham.

Awkward square bagged and heading back home we bump back into the other two going in the opposite direction :laugh:

@13 rider and myself split at Ratby and I eventually get home on just short of 115 miles.

I know @Lilliburlero bagged another imperial century (I think this was his second of the week :bravo:) and @13 rider and @graham bowers both bagged metric centuries, but to be honest the mileage doesn't matter, it was just a cracking CC ride so a big :bravo:to everyone that rode.

@ianrauk there might be a couple more imperial riders for the 2018 challenge :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1143145523
Great ride,nice to meet you all again.
Shoulder really sore by the time I got home, couldn't raise arm above shoulder height:sad:.
I think the surrounding muscles are compensating for other weakness.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having done seven consecutive days of commuting, I was going to have the weekend off the bikes. However, yesterday I changed the cassette on the Spa Elan from an 11-28 to a 12-25 and decided to give it a quick test ride to see if it was more to my tastes despite the stiff breeze. The end result was a really enjoyable 50 mile meandering run out to Claydon and back when I'd only expected to do 20 or less. https://www.strava.com/activities/1141722678
Claydon Bench 1.jpg

Today I went to Silverstone where two different race meetings were being held - one on the National Circuit (BRSCC) and one on the International Circuit (750MC). A last minute decision was made to put the Giant flatbar in the boot of the car so I could quickly get from one area to the other and watch the best races from each meeting. Only 10 miles in total but a good choice.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10 miles this afternoon, quite hot and humid, as will tomorrow be for the eclipse(94% totality in my neck of the woods), I rode after a Government survey marker, but found it had been removed when the area was made into a park.
82F, 28C
Winds E5
Relative humidity 72%
Barometer 30.02, 1017.7mb
BBQ Ribs, eggplant, and corn, as well as a potato, forecast for evening meal.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
10 miles this afternoon, quite hot and humid, as will tomorrow be for the eclipse(94% totality in my neck of the woods), I rode after a Government survey marker, but found it had been removed when the area was made into a park.
82F, 28C
Winds E5
Relative humidity 72%
Barometer 30.02, 1017.7mb
BBQ Ribs, eggplant, and corn, as well as a potato, forecast for evening meal.
Will there be an eclipse up your end today then?

Old jon

Guru
No more silly ideas, just go for a ride on the fixed in reasonably flat countryside. Which is not too easy to find around here, so I just went out and rode the bike with the usual starting slalom around lesser known bits of Holbeck. Most of Holbeck is lesser known, really. Peter O’ Toole apparently took the credit for inventing Hunsbeck cricket in days long gone, but the poor of every parish have always used the batting team’s legs as wickets . . .

Stop rambling.

So, riding on and leaving dubious games on the south side of the river the meandering climb up to the Oakwood Clock is as entertaining as ever. All sorts of commercial premises scattered randomly around, and their customers were a little dispersed as well. After the Clock a swift pedal past the unused park gates and Roundhay School brings you to the start of Boot Hill and some serious effort on the fixed to ride up this one. The really unfair bit of this climb is the uphill roundabout almost at the end of it, and of course, you have to ride around it. Anyway, Red Hall Lane is a little further along the A 58, Skeltons Lane and Thorner Lane and you are in that village. I chose yet another lane, that of Milner, to leave Thorner. The sharp little hill to the junction with another Thorner Lane, well, maybe the legs had warmed up. It felt reasonable this morning. Along the road a bit, turn right on Holme Farm Lane and watch it transmogrify into yet another Thorner Lane, on the way to Bramham. If that don’t confuse the tourists, we have lost.

From Bramham, head south on Paradise Way, to the accompaniment of the traffic noise on the rather busy A 1(M), trundle around the roundabout and take the turn for Aberford. It all now becomes predictable, through the village to Cock Beck and turn right.

Barwick in Elmet was quiet this morning, as was Scholes and even the A 64 was almost empty, the couple of hundred yards along to the first Thorner Lane of the day only had two vehicles on it. Once Skeltons Lane is reached again, turn left and retrace my tyre tracks in the opposite direction to the morning’s ride and still on quiet roads to complete 31.3 miles for the ride by the time I returned to my front door. Another enjoyable morning.
A map. Less than impressive, but a map.

21082017.jpg

Top Bottom