Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bike selected; CGR

A brief journey today, but LOTS of history encountered

I hope that some of you enjoyed them, perhaps endured them, maybe even learnt something of the area? (if you know it)
If one person benefited from reading them, then the typing, & photo-taking was worthwhile

Sorry, but that's the end of my ride-reports for now, as I was on a rostered 'long weekend' (off; Saturday - Tuesday), so it's back to work tomorrow, but on the hated/revlied 'late-turn':evil:

Next days-off are 'Bank Holiday Monday & Tuesday' (not sure if SWMBO has plans yet???, or I'll be allowed out)

Last edited:
Hmmm, in 1963 a ( very much older ) club member pointed out the cottages and told me their name.
I never managed to take my guitar out there for the lessons from the best . . .
Sadly, Jerry Reed is dead, but even Chet Atkins was in awe of him
Co-incidentally........................

(Brian Setzer, thankfully isn't!)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
On my own today and still wanting to rack up some miles so I headed out with the Raleigh to go right around the Wrekin.

It's still quite warm out but windier so isn't as muggy feeling. That wind helped to start with as I headed to Condover, Acton Burnell and Cressage at a nice fast pace. There wasn't too much traffic on the roads and I only seemed to meet nice polite drivers - a contrast to yesterday.

From Cressage I rode through Eaton Constantine before taking a right turn and aiming for the climb up Spout Lane to Little Wenlock. I had a slight navigational mishap here where, thinking I remembered the way, I didn't bother to check the map and managed to miss one of the junctions. Fortunately I didn't go far before realising the error.

The climb up Spout Lane is fairly long and quite steep an a couple of places so was a case of dropping down the gears and winding my way up to the top where there are some decent views across to the South Shropshire hills.

Next was what would have been a great descent if only the road surface was half decent. Although I did my best to pick a good line the bike and I got thoroughly rattled about on the way down.

While stopped for a drink I decided to change my route on the way back and head through the little village of Donnington (not to be confused with the nearby and much larger Donnington, Telford), which is situated on a ridge so I had some great views for a short while.

Next up was Wroxeter (a good few visitors at Viroconium) before I headed for what used to be my commuting route through Upton Forge, Atcham and Condover on my way home.

Edit to add: I had my only bad overtake of the trip just a mile from home when one lorry gave me lots of room but the one immediately behind didn't and started pulling back in when he was only halfway past me. First lorry got a wave of thanks. Second lorry got another kind of wave.

Just over 37 miles at 14mph average. Cleaning the bike afterwards I found a bent outer plate on the chain which is a little annoying. Not sure how it happened but I'll have to go and fix it as I don't fancy it breaking unexpectedly.

DSC0004982.jpg

Near Acton Burnell I get a glimpse of where I'm headed.

DSC0004983.jpg

Drink stop on Spout Lane.

DSC0004984.jpg

Pub in Little Wenlock. Never tried this one but I've heard good things about the place.

DSC0004987.jpg

View from the top of the climb. If the photo was a bit better you'd be able to pick out from left to right; Clee Hill, Wenlock Edge, The Lawley, Caer Caradoc and the Long Mynd.......

DSC0004986.jpg

.....and looking to the right, The Wrekin.

DSC0004990.jpg

Near to Donnington, the lane follows a ridge giving some great views for a while.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as per...

Mrs Pete requested a lift to Oxford Water Eaton Park and Ride to meet her sister so they could have a day out at the seaside. I was not needed for the fun, just a lift to Oxford at 06:00, and then pick her up at 20:00.
As I'd be dropping her off at 07:30 ish, I reckoned the traffic would be a bit nasty for my drive back to Northampton.
Obvious answer, to me at least, was to take the bike, pay £2 for the 'Park & Ride' for the day, and get some miles in until the traffic died down ^_^

I decided to stick, mainly, to the cycle lanes around the city, then some of the Thames Path (until the closed bit anyway), and ended up rediscovering places I'd forgotten about since I lived there about 45 years ago!

IMG_3129.JPG

A bridge..

IMG_3130.JPG

Another bridge..

FullSizeRender.jpg

An old building with steps..

IMG_3134.JPG

Another old building with steps..

I also rode past 39 Banbury Road, where my bedsit used to be. Probably condemned by now, as the back half of a double garage isn't likely to be considered to be 'proper' any more. Still, £7 a month wasn't bad :laugh:

20 miles. Reasonable weather, and a trip down memory lane.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1145965012

:smile:

Wanted a ride with hills but not big ones

Came up with a new route, and went via Walton bridge, Esher and Oxshott, doubling back to Stoke d'Abernon past Yehudi Menuhin School, Fetcham and Effingham, Ripley, send and Knaphill, the home via Chobham and Staines.

The terrain was lots of rolling hills, not high hills

Managed to keep up a really good speed, especially considering there was traffic and delays between Esher and Oxshott, with tree lopping going on.

Really enjoyed the route and feel a touch tired at the end.

48.6 miles at 17 mph
1486 feet climbed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1147819586

Went out at tea time for a bit despite not really wanting to; 14 mile loop via Downham, Way Head, Coveney and Ely.

I wasn't the only one with a similar idea in mind as I encountered 18 cyclists on my way round - the most I've ever seen in one ride. Also saw two joggers. Shared the road a bit with a chap on a hybrid, chatting as we went. Turned out he'd recently had a knee replacement and his physio had recommended gentle cycling as a way of building strength in the joint.

Spotted an apple tree growing at random in a bit of hedgerow. Popped a few apples in my top bar bag. Will see what they're like, might be worth a return trip as the tree is loaded. Looks like they might be "Discovery" or something of that ilk. Wonder if the tree has grown from a core someone threw away...

Seems like it's an exceptional year for hedgerow fruits in general. Seen so many blackberries to the point that the road is stained purple in places, and there're loads of hips, haws, bullaces and sloes. @Elybazza61 - if you still need any blackberries and sloes, might I suggest it would be well worth your while to have a bimble down there...

Ride was hard work at times as the legs weren't really co-operating, but in the end it felt good to get out. Ended up being a lovely sunny evening too. Have done 40 miles on the bike this week so feeling rather pleased with myself.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've just got back from a little two-day ride. I had planned on Tuesday to go out for a long day ride following the direction of the wind - so westwards - and get a train home, but then decided I could go a bit further and stay overnight before coming back today. There is a youth hostel in Cirencester, I live near Cambridge, and that makes about 120 miles so that became my plan.
Unfortunately the first 50 miles of the outward ride are the least interesting, mostly flat and through a string of semi-suburban villages across Bedfordshire, and were enlivened only by a puncture near Ampthill where a large staple pierced two clean holes in my tube a centimetre apart.
20170822 Cirencester ride (1) puncture.JPG

The Milton Keynes conurbation didn't appeal, so I skirted south through the Woburn estate and some surprisingly hilly lanes through the Brickhills (Little and Great), then across to Bicester, and things got more scenic after this. I decided I needed to increase my pace somewhat, so took the A4095 to Witney, which was the most trafficky road of the two days. It was now looking very Cotswold-y, and I stopped in daftly-pretty Burford, which is full of well-heeled folk in vast fat cars. The B4425 to Cirencester is a lovely road, and I briefly paused at Bibury, which even at 6pm under grey skies had its share of Japanese tourists who come for its connection with Emperor Hirohito, and no doubt because it is so darned pretty.
Bibury with bike
20170822 Cirencester ride (9) Bibury.JPG

I got to Cirencester at 7 and found the hostel. I had done 122 miles, but towards the end I was just slogging to do the distance more than enjoying the scenery. There's a place for that, but maybe today (a bit) less would have been more.

Today, day 2 of the ride, I had a pre-booked train ticket from Oxford to London at 3.40pm, so that gave me half a day's riding to get there from Cirencester, and I went south first towards the Wiltshire Downs south of Swindon, to revisit some of the lovely routes I discovered while working there last year. Both days were overcast but warm and muggy, and today even more so than yesterday.
The first part, to Wootton Bassett, was flat, and I stopped at a café to complete my breakfast after a rather meagre affair earlier on. I then climbed to Broad Hinton, and Hackpen Hill with its white horse (probably 19th century), and was then right on the top of the downs.
20170823 Cirencester ride (6) Hackpen Hill.JPG

These hills were steep, but the toughest climb was out of Ogbourne St George, on the Aldbourne road. The riding and the scenery here were the highlight of the trip. After a quick coffee at Lambourn I topped the downs again going north and flew down into the Vale of White Horse at Childrey. I approached Oxford through Netherton and Cumnor, on quiet roads that are near the Thames although you never see it, and was in Oxford by 2.30 with an hour to spare. I'd done 67 miles to here, and enjoyed it more than yesterday, probably a combination of the scenery and the more relaxed pace, knowing I didn't have another 50 miles to go!
Oxford - St Aldgates. I picknicked on a bench here as bikes were barred from the nearby meadow.
20170823 Cirencester ride (8) Oxford.JPG

My train took the new route from Oxford into Marylebone. Having quite a while to kill before my next booked train, I did what any cyclist would do in this part of London, ie. a full circuit of Regents Park, then wandered down Baker Street to the Mall, along the Embankment cycle path to Tower Hill, and finally back to Liverpool Street station and home. What with my tour of London and getting to my door, the total mileage today was 80.
The Regents Park perimeter road passes London Zoo, where you can see the giraffe house through the railings
20170823 Cirencester ride (10) London Zoo.JPG

My route
upload_2017-8-24_0-3-0.png

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been on a walking holiday in North Wales for the past few days, so limited options for riding, but snuck the MTB on just in case. Got away with it as the kids wanted their bikes to hoon around the campsite:smile:
Walked up Snowdon on Tuesday, the river etc at Beddgelert Wednesday morning, SWMBO + kids did Sygun copper mine after lunch so that was my brownie points earned, and me & my lad set up for the yellow route around Beddgelert Forest. Not a long ride, but an officially hilly ride at 768ft in 6.3 miles. Fair play to my lad, he didn't give upon any of the climbs. The downhills were a bit hairy with a loose slate surface but we arrived back at the van suitably covered in mud having played who can ride through the most puddles....
No photo's, but here's a Relive thingy.
https://www.relive.cc/view/1149777942

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Having done seven consecutive days of commuting, I was going to have the weekend off the bikes. However, yesterday I changed the cassette on the Spa Elan from an 11-28 to a 12-25 and decided to give it a quick test ride to see if it was more to my tastes despite the stiff breeze. The end result was a really enjoyable 50 mile meandering run out to Claydon and back when I'd only expected to do 20 or less. https://www.strava.com/activities/1141722678
View attachment 369111
Today I went to Silverstone where two different race meetings were being held - one on the National Circuit (BRSCC) and one on the International Circuit (750MC). A last minute decision was made to put the Giant flatbar in the boot of the car so I could quickly get from one area to the other and watch the best races from each meeting. Only 10 miles in total but a good choice.

Sorry for the weird interjection, but I recognise that bench! It looks very similar to one in Walworth Community Garden I've photographed before, seen here:
iTqam7j.jpg

This was by someone called Arthur de Mowbray, and I've tracked down a couple of his other works too. This excellent dragon bench made from a fallen tree in Burgess Park
ryWvtyw.jpg

Nmxj2pP.jpg

He also did this roof, made in the shape of a goose wing, at the Cross Bones graveyard, a final resting place for 'Winchester Geese' medieval sex workers licensed by the bishop of Winchester to work the brothels of the liberty of the clink, which lay outside the law of the City of London.
QrqZo8P.jpg

The site has no running water, so all the plants on site are watered using water collected from the roof, and collected in style too
LXCe228.jpg

And finally he also did the Nunhead Fox
cQj4YJs.jpg

Apologies for thread hijack but thought some people may find that interesting, as you were:whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
Wanted a ride with hills but not big ones

Came up with a new route, and went via Walton bridge, Esher and Oxshott, doubling back to Stoke d'Abernon past Yehudi Menuhin School, Fetcham and Effingham, Ripley, send and Knaphill, the home via Chobham and Staines.

The terrain was lots of rolling hills, not high hills

Managed to keep up a really good speed, especially considering there was traffic and delays between Esher and Oxshott, with tree lopping going on.

Really enjoyed the route and feel a touch tired at the end.

48.6 miles at 17 mph
1486 feet climbed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1147819586

Used to ride those roads a lot, over 47 years ago, brought back some good memories.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Today's outing was just a wee tester to see how things are. I decided to take the lanesy route down to Longdon Marsh. Then around by The Rampings went well. My computer wasn't working so I noted the time on the summit just after The Mythe. My riding felt brisk but within myself. It took an hour to Guarlford which gave me my average ride speed. Not a bad effort it seems. Now I must fix that computer. 35 smiles.

Update - broken wire so cut, joined and soldered. Computer is now a goer :thumbsup:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Sorry for the weird interjection, but I recognise that bench! It looks very similar to one in Walworth Community Garden I've photographed before, seen here:
View attachment 369854
This was by someone called Arthur de Mowbray...
<Snip>
Apologies for thread hijack but thought some people may find that interesting, as you were:whistle:

And sorrry from me for going off topic as well, but I think the bench in Claydon may be a copy of or inspired by your Arthur de Mowbray as it is a memorial bench for someone killed in an accident at Felixstowe Dock (pic from the other side taken on a previous ride)

Claydon Bench.jpg

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
My ride from Tuesday was a bit of an explore. It started, as usual along the canal where I experienced this rather tricky situation.

1.jpg

And then up that hill, which I walked a fair bit. This is the point at which I stopped, just short of a previous best.

2.jpg

At the top of the hill I encountered these ladies, strolling along, getting farther and farther apart. There was originally plenty of room to go past, as it was I needed to warn them I was there, and they hadn't heard me coming.

3.jpg

The last time I rode up here there were roadworks near here. Fortunately I was again able to get through.

4.JPG

Ashridge House, an executive education establishment. I should really have stopped here, had a snack and drink and taken photos. Somehow I'd become obsessed with carrying on.

5.JPG

I know people say they like going down hills, I don't. I especially didn't enjoy this hill, which I knew had a sharp bend at the bottom.

6.JPG

Through Nettleden

7.JPG

The story of my life, aside from walking up hills. The second guy even paused alongside me to say something, and then almost freewheeled away. As I said, I don't like hills.

10.JPG

20.7 miles max 21 avg 7.7 mph. Year to date, 284 miles, Target 500 miles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
More miles with my brother today. We didn't have a lot of time, needing to be back by midday so the route I'd had in mind will have to wait for another occasion. Doug suggested riding what used to be my extended commute so we did that instead.

Setting out on clean and shiny bikes (my good deed yesterday :smile:) we were heading into town along the cyclepaths. Having done this route countless times over the last 3 years I was pleased to take a detour when Doug suggested it and we went into Longden Coleham, over the English Bridge and along the riverside then the old canal path to Uffington, which was very pleasant.

At Uffington there was a bit of a flood across the road where water was fountaining up through a manhole. We rode on and only when getting a whiff of drains and seeing bits of paper floating in the water did we realise we were riding through raw sewage.xx( We had mudguards, the three cyclists coming the other way didn't so I hope they understood my shouted warning.

Reaching Wroxeter we had a drink stop then moved one again heading for Cressage where we had our one bad overtake of the ride. The guy gave us loads of room which was nice but doing it on a blind corner on a fast road rather spoiled it.

It's a bit of climb out of Cressage which I think Doug tried to do a bit too fast. He had a determined look about him from this point of the ride and once the road levelled out he pressed on at a good speed to Cound Moor.

By Acton Burnell I could see that he was flagging a lttle bit however to my surprise he chose the longer way back and wanted to press on and set a good average speed for the ride. After our next drink stop Doug wanted me to lead and set the pace (so he could tuck into my slipstream). I wasn't sure about it, not wanting him to overdo it but he insisted so we made the most of the gradient and wind being in our favour and pressed on. Doug did really well but was quite shattered by the end.

31.5 miles at 13 mph average. I think he can justifiably be pleased with that.:thumbsup: The bikes had another wash when we got back

We were concentrating on the ride so I only grabbed a few snaps:

DSC0004992.jpg

By the William Clement memorial near Greyfriars Bridge.

DSC0004993.jpg

Speaks for itself.

DSC0004996.jpg

Last drink stop near Great Ryton.

Another 8 mile round trip in glorious sunshine via Downham Common and Black Bank to Littleport to pick up some milk and groceries from the Co-op.

Saw five cyclists out and about, including one lovely chap on a banana yellow tourer with panniers front and rear who was locking up his bike in the Co-op car park at the same time I was unlocking mine to go home. We had a nice wee chat about the pleasures and benefits of cycling. Hope he's enjoying his holiday, he's got the perfect weather for it.

Top Bottom