Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quick 20 miler up and down the sea front in North Wales. Another 11-12 miles later to see Rhyl Air Show (with family). Out on the 'tank' the old skool MTB with 2.4" tyres - at least pedestrians can hear me coming. Fitness is starting to come back, loads of PR's on Strava. My back wasn't a problem today, but my neck, just not used to it.

One of my 25 mile loops nothing unusual about it normally but this time I found myself in the middle of the local tri event which was a surprise.

As I eased out of my local roads, scratching my bum and listening to the birds in the trees, I turned left to head over the railway bridge and immediately noticed a serious looking chap heading the other way on his tri bars and doing a fair lick, followed by another and another, what the, I thought and then upon reaching the next junction realized there was a Marshall there and a sign, saying, race today. Heading up the road, all the serious crew were coming down the other way on an assortment of expensive looking carbon and the air was filled with the snick of Di2 changes, whirring aero wheels and the hollow clunk of the odd disc wheel: It was great to watch.

Then as I came around the next corner I realized I was catching the back markers and people at the side of the road began clapping me. I opened my mouth to say I wasn't part of it but then thought, nah, bugger it and took the applause. At the next rdbt I joined in the 2nd lappers and found myself in a crowd heading up Thurstaston hill and for the first time ever up that hill, passed people with ease, so obviously still with the back markers. The final rdbt had a bloke standing on it with a giant Kenny Everett hand pointing the way. He began to say something to me as I headed for the wrong exit but stopped as I yelled out, I'm not in it and that was it, peace descended on the rest of the ride. I must have been sucked up the hill though as I recorded my fastest time up it in five years and didn't even notice the extra effort I must have been putting in.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays imperial half, time dictated that this mornings ride would be a fair bit shorter.

So out of the door just before 8am and once again into the cycling groove that must run up Coal Road.
However, today I turned right onto Skeltons Lane, to se if I could get through the roadblocks to the village of Thorner, which is surrounded by a ring of minimum wage steel and traffic cones during the Leeds Festival. Anyway, I'm pleased to report that while he turned back a couple of cars in front of me, the security youth waved me straight through, for an almost closed roads experience through the village (locals are still being allowed access - I think they have to show their webbed feet or something) :laugh:

So, down the always fun descent of Sandhills :hyper: and into the village proper for a spin along Main Street and since I was testing my luck, up Church Hill and onto Bramham Road heading for Bramham Park and the festival itself. Straight through another checkpoint, where frankly the bloke in hi-viz couldn't have looked less interested, and down one of the festival entrances where I did contemplate taking a photo but there wasn't a great deal to see apart from bored looking security guards and lots of buses parked up waiting to take the festival-goers to Tesco at Seacroft when it opened at 10 to use the proper toilets and buy more ambient temperature beer.
Staying on the road and skirting the park, before plunging down into the mist still lingering in Wothersome dip, taking it steady due to the very damp road surface and then the lung-busting climb up the other side, to Checkpoint number 3 where there was quite a queue of cars and taxis being told that they couldn't go down the hill. I turned left along Thorner Lane, which was a fair bit busier than usual as it seemed to be the only road open to motor vehicles. The dip here was treacherous - I mentioned yesterday about the mud and gravel run off from fields after the midweek monsoon and I had to take this very carefully, which meant I was out of the seat for the whole climb back up the other side as I had precious little momentum to push me on.
Anyway, it eventually flattened out a bit although it's a steady ascent along for the next half mile or so before it finally levels out completely. I soon reached Milner Lane though and pedalled along the ridge enjoying the quiet until a manic taxi driver simply couldn't wait in passing place for us to cross and pushed through at one of the narrowest points. Still, I had just enough room to avoid him. :dry:
I then stopped for a couple of photos and a drink:
IMG_20170827_083101062_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170827_083120611_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170827_083149952_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170827_083205764_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and on my way, soon reaching the drop back down into Thorner and yet another checkpoint where I was waved through again, passing a good number of cyclists heading up the hill and clearly making the most of the lack of traffic.
Into the village and onto main Street, before turning onto Carr Lane for the lesser of the three climbs out of there, eventually reaching the midway summit, before dropping down through the S bends (more gravel everywhere! :eek:) and the steady climb up towards the A58 and through my final roadblock of the day, where the security guard didn't even look up from his book as I wheezed past.

From there it's a quickish spin down the A58, followed by a not quite so quick climb up Coal Road until it levels out and I could open the taps for the final time and keep the legs spinning onto local roads and down to home, with a final once around the block to round the mileage up.

14.27 miles (22.9km) in 1h 4m at an average of 13.4mph with 705ft climbed, although it always feels like more on that circuit.

Good to get out for an hour and get some miles in before other commitments and with the weather set fair for tomorrow, it might just be three days on the trot...and I've just notice that this ride has put me through 1,600 miles so far this year, which isn't a great deal compared to many but I'm quite happy about given the rubbish start to the year I had.
Nice to enjoy a near closed road experience on some local roads too - with tonight being the last of the festival it won't be anything like that tomorrow as the great unwashed head home, so I'll have to think about another route.

And to end, a map:
27082017.JPG

D

Deleted member 1258

Lickey Hills the destination, 66 miles the journey. A lovely day for a bike ride, warm sunny with just a gentle breeze. An ideal day for the longest ride this year and my first visit to the Lickey Hills for two years. Also, my lumpiest ride this year. A more or less straight out and back route taking me out through Balsall Common, Temple Balsall, Earlswood and Wythall. then across to Barnt Green and onto the Licky Hills Country park. On the way back I varied it a bit, roadworks on the A441 so I turned left and right through Lea End, then when I got to Earlswood I picked up one of my regular routes home taking me up Umberslade Road and Tithe Barn Lane onto Broad Lane to Nuthurst and across the A3400 and the Old Warwick Road and onto Chessettes Wood, then past Baddesley Clinton House and into Balsall Common to ride into Coventry through Tile Hill and across the city home. A lovely morning out cycling only slightly spoiled by a minor belly upset.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/17222007

Two good rides over the week-end plus a couple of commutes.

First on Friday was a ride with the better half from Cambridge to Ely via Wicken Fen.

Got the train to the newish Cambridge North Station and then headed out via Ditton meadows to Lode and then White and Burwell fens to Wicken and the usual route back via the river.

Glorious day and a nice easy test ride for the Planet X;

https://www.strava.com/activities/1151188724

IMG_0907.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg
IMG_0905.jpg
IMG_0904.jpg

No cafe stop but when back in Ely we went to the Samovar tea rooms for coffee, food and some actual tea and cake.

Only a pic of Russian and Polish coffee;

IMG_0908.jpg

Saturday was two commutes to and from work;

https://www.strava.com/activities/1152323302

https://www.strava.com/activities/1153484842

And then today was the club ride with only four of us as there was some TT's on and other peeps being away.

Still a good ride out although a bit less pace than usual;

https://www.strava.com/activities/1154633726

Cracking day here in the Netherlands so it was the ideal day to do a ride I've been planning to do for a couple of months. A loop out to and over the Zeelandbrug then returning via Goes and Bergen op Zoom. Had to wait for a reasonably calm day to do this as a lot of the route could be hard going with any sort of unfavourable wind.

Really enjoyable ride, in fact probably one of the best I've done over here.

Zeelandbrug

A nice restored molen at Kruiningen

Ride here

https://www.strava.com/activities/1154642064

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_1226.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1082.jpg
A 6.40am start this morning for a social ride from near Tadcaster North Yorkshire to Hornsea on the East Coast. Lovely weather, great friends and 121 miles, the longest ride I've ever done.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
One of my 25 mile loops nothing unusual about it normally but this time I found myself in the middle of the local tri event which was a surprise.

As I eased out of my local roads, scratching my bum and listening to the birds in the trees, I turned left to head over the railway bridge and immediately noticed a serious looking chap heading the other way on his tri bars and doing a fair lick, followed by another and another, what the, I thought and then upon reaching the next junction realized there was a Marshall there and a sign, saying, race today. Heading up the road, all the serious crew were coming down the other way on an assortment of expensive looking carbon and the air was filled with the snick of Di2 changes, whirring aero wheels and the hollow clunk of the odd disc wheel: It was great to watch.

Then as I came around the next corner I realized I was catching the back markers and people at the side of the road began clapping me. I opened my mouth to say I wasn't part of it but then thought, nah, bugger it and took the applause. At the next rdbt I joined in the 2nd lappers and found myself in a crowd heading up Thurstaston hill and for the first time ever up that hill, passed people with ease, so obviously still with the back markers. The final rdbt had a bloke standing on it with a giant Kenny Everett hand pointing the way. He began to say something to me as I headed for the wrong exit but stopped as I yelled out, I'm not in it and that was it, peace descended on the rest of the ride. I must have been sucked up the hill though as I recorded my fastest time up it in five years and didn't even notice the extra effort I must have been putting in.

Hopefully you waved to my brother Pete. He was there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quick 20 miler up and down the sea front in North Wales. Another 11-12 miles later to see Rhyl Air Show (with family). Out on the 'tank' the old skool MTB with 2.4" tyres - at least pedestrians can hear me coming. Fitness is starting to come back, loads of PR's on Strava. My back wasn't a problem today, but my neck, just not used to it.

Just back. 32 miles today and 100 for the last 8 days which is the most I've done since breaking my back.

Parked the bikes on the beach and had a big bottle of Hoegaarden over a couple of hours whilst we watched the air show. The ride back was at walking pace due to the numbers on the prom
20170827_173725.jpg
IMG-20170827-WA0001.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another trip out with my brother today. After he mentioned a few days ago about wanting to challenge himself and ride up the Long Mynd I made sure he didn't bottle out of it (what are brothers for? :evil:).

It's all very familiar roads through Condover, Ryton, Longnor and Leebotwood then we headed up what is probably the easiest climb onto the top via Woolstaston and High Park. There wasn't much traffic about and we made sure that we took it easy to save the legs for climbing.

After a drink stop near Leebotwood Church we started on the climb proper. I needed to prompt Doug a couple of times not to go at it too fast as you climb over 1000' in about 3 miles so we made sedate progress up the hill.

Even with the very low gears Doug has, he needed a pause for breath just after the steepest bit but I'm chuffed to say that was the only stop until after the cattle grid at the top. Well done Doug!:bravo:

After another breather we carried on across Wild Moor. There were loads of people up here today and we took a different path to usual as the direct route to shooting box was rather crowded. There were quite a few people up at Pole Bank too.

We didn't stop long at the summit and made our way off the hills down the Burway. This has recently been surface dressed but is as lumpy as ever under the chippings and it made for an interesting descent of the 20% gradient.

Back down in the valley we got some speed up through All Stretton which encouraged Doug to want to keep it up. That surprised me as I thought he'd be too tired after the earlier climbing. The light wind seemed to be behind us and I know the gradient is mostly in our favour the rest of the way back so we were able to press on pretty well. We had another go at Doug getting in my slipstream after Condover and maintained a steady 17 mph as far as the A49.

We had a bit of a treat on the way back when the Red Arrows flew across in formation just in front of us. They were due at the Shrewsbury Steam Rally and from the direction they were going were probably on the way there.

29.1 miles this trip at 11.1 mph average. Very pleased with that.:okay: I do wonder what Doug could manage if we put him on something a bit sportier.

DSC0004997.jpg

A quick pit stop near Leebotwood before the proper climbing starts.

DSC0004999.jpg

Taking a breather just after the steepest bit of the climb. I've just told Doug how much more climbing there is.:whistle:

DSC0005000.jpg

Action shot as we plod up the climb.

DSC0005001.jpg

The view from the top of this climb.

DSC0005004.jpg

The reason I'm not usually pictured in my own reports.

DSC0005006.jpg

A few people at the toposcope at Pole Bank. Plenty more milling around out of shot.

DSC0005008.jpg

On our way down the Burway. The view from near the top looking towards Church Stretton.

DSC0005009.jpg

Back down in the valley. Last drink stop before tackling the 10 miles to home.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The view from the campsite last night looked like this
IMG_4482.JPG

The car in the pic was being used by the lazy Trollop of an owner for the 200 yard journey to the loo and shower.

Out this morning in the direction of Lowestoft. Never been before. There were some nice lanes before we started to hit the urban sights, and then the seafront
IMG_4485.JPG

After we left the millpond seafront we met up with a lovely lady who directed us all the way through town and out the other side, bless her cotton socks!

Our next port of call was Somerleyton. We went and had a nose at the big house
IMG_4486.JPG

Not too shabby. I googled to see who owns it, he looks just like Hugh Grant.

We found ourselves at a pub that Mrs Dave uses when she works up this end, but being her she wasn't aware of where we were until she saw said pub!
IMG_4491.JPG

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG

The water caravans chugged up and down the river Waveney whilst we ate
IMG_4495.JPG

Health food!

We set off again, but the road was far too busy. Off to the lanes again, much better!

Then the navigation went wrong! Down a deep, sandy, flinty farm track with a dead end. We had to double back to the road. It was bearable, but then we had an even worse stretch of A road before Gillingham and Beccles.

We decided to go back to Southwold. Big mistake! It was heaving. But we had an ice cream before we departed
IMG_4498.JPG

Back to Wrentham, just over 50 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1154882164

Top Bottom