Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last week I set off for Otley but baled out at Alwoodley Gates due to a pig of a headwind and went elsewhere.
Today, with a headwind, I set off for Otley again...:rolleyes:
34.2 miles (55.04km) in a steady 2h 34m at an average of 13.3mph with 1,755ft climbed.

Not as quick as I'd hoped, but with that headwind on the way out and a couple of long climbs on the way back to nibble away at the average speed, I'll take that given my lack of bike time lately. Plus it's this months entry in the Half Century Challenge banked - all in, a good do! :okay:

I like Otley, but not ridden there for a while
Sadly, my last visit was for the 2015 Tour de Yorkshire, when I was on East Chevin to watch them

"Sigh!!", I still miss Dunnies
Miscellania. Dunnies. Menu.jpg Dunnies blg.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Up at the caravan for the weekend and finally got the bike up here again with me, after a mixture of illness and weather has prevented me riding up here since April!

Woke to heavy rain and so abandoned the idea of an early start, watching the athletics for a bit and heading out at 11:30, with light drizzle still falling.

It was very windy, but a nice tailwind as I braved the streams of holiday traffic on the main road down to Barmouth and then dropped down to the seafront, before crossing the Estuary via the old bridge.

It was very busy with walkers, cyclists and errant dogs, on the Mawddach Trail and about 12:15 it started to absolutely hammer down with rain again, meaning I was thoroughly wet and the trail resembled a muddy lake at times.

I paused for lunch at Penmaenpool and it finally stopped raining as I set off again for Dolgellau. I crossed the bridge over the main road and poked my nose out at the top of the bank, to find major roadworks, which I was half way along and so had no idea of which direction the traffic was on green light. This meant no option other than to walk the bike along the path up to the end of the works.

I then branched off onto the cycle path and then lanes past Cymer Abbey, in the direction of Coed y Brenin. The sun started to come out and this dried me off quite nicely.

Instead of going completely into the forest, via the tracks, I explored some new territory on tarmacced roads around the Afon Wen. I took a right turn and began climbing and climbing and even steeper climbing, going up 700 ft in 2 miles. How on earth this section doesn't get a gradient arrow on the map is beyond me and I was well and truly pooped when it started to flatten out at Dol y Clochydd.

The scenery around the edge of the forest was simply stunning though.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

At Dollrwynog I turned right and then again, to come down the other side of the river, with a nice long descent towards Llanfachreth. There was some more steep climbing then, up to Glasdir Isaf, where some small waterfalls provided a nice point to stop for an Eccles Cake.

IMG_0205.JPG

The descent from there, all the way down to Dolgellau was simply exhilarating, for a good 3 or 4 miles. I cruised at between 20 and 30 mph for most of it, topping off at 39.5 mph into the wind on the steep straight bit down to the town ^_^

Cader Idris in cloud
IMG_0207.JPG

I crossed the main bridge and did a loop of the Town centre, before joining the Mawddach Trail again, back to Barmouth. It was harder work now, into the strong headwind and was still very wet under wheel.

Arrrived back in Barmouth and it was absolutely heaving with tourists, a number of whom had no road sense along the seafront!

Re traced my steps along the main road and arrived back at the van, with the bike a complete muddy mess, which necessitated a wash with the hosepipe.

44.1 miles at 10.8mph avg, with 2663 ft of climbing, also passing the 1000 mile mark for 2017.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
https://www.strava.com/activities/1130420863/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1502572970

I smashed out a massive one today.

View attachment 367764
Christmas dinner:hungry:

View attachment 367765

A very nice avocado and salmon on toasted sour dough with 2 perfectly poached eggs, at LMNH on Old street.:hungry:

172 odd miles, my longest ever ( solo ) ride. A lovely route as well.

Poached eggs look nice, not sure of the rest of it.

And a gentleman, even a left-handed one, leaves his knife on the plate with the blade facing inwards.

Reactions: gbb
Not sure what to do today:scratch:

1. a 'level 1' ride with Wakefield Triathlon Club (just a steady potter, overseeing/sheparding/guiding the newcomers/nervous riders)

2. a 'level 3' ride with a few of the faster members of WTC, but I'm not sure I'm up to that, at the moment, as I'm not as fit as I should be
(have ridden them before, & easily kept up, even dropping a couple on the hills)

3. a solo ride by myself, at my own pace/own route (as I have one, that I was going to use as a 'level 2' WTC ride, leading them)

If I do the 3rd choice, I can include in it, a viewing of 60103, as it passes under my given route once more

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out early on my mountain bike this morning. Even though it was early there were a few too many dog walkers about to go fast.

Once at Wimpole I made some friends..

The Longhorns were making babies
IMG_4348.JPG

The Soay sheep in the shade
IMG_4354.JPG

And the shire horses up for some company
IMG_4362.JPG

IMG_4364.JPG

IMG_4363.JPG

Even the trees were looking good...

IMG_4356.JPG

And the obligatory bike pic

IMG_4358.JPG

A great 19 miles to start the day off!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1130866911

Attachments

• IMG_4366.JPG
    IMG_4366.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 66

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Brilliant day for a wonder. Perfect weather. I came across a cycle and footpath that i didn't know existed in Machynlleth. It incorporated the Millenium bridge that apparently cost 2 million pounds to construct. It doesn't actually go anywhere. A bit of a waste of money, that no one sees unless they use the cycle path. Still its there, and it looks nice :laugh:. This particular cycle pafh is only about a mile long. I will have to investigate others in the area i think.

A total of 25 miles done today. I really enjoyed it. There were a few dark clouds, and i did think it was going to pour down with rain, but thankfully they all cleared away.

Attachments

• 20170813_120017.jpg
    20170813_120017.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170813_120659.jpg
    20170813_120659.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20170813_121022.jpg
    20170813_121022.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20170813_120451.jpg
    20170813_120451.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20170813_121513.jpg
    20170813_121513.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20170813_125833.jpg
    20170813_125833.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 60

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Set off this morning with no particular route in mind, and ended up riding the usual roads but in a slightly different order. Still, it gets me out of the house doesn't it? ^_^

Local roads to start and out onto Barwick Road for the dip down to Cock Beck and the climb up to Scholes on the other side. No PBs set today but todays ride wasn't about that. Left in Scholes at the Coronation Tree and the rise up along Main Street, the dip past the church and the climb up and along towards the former railway bridge, where the driver of a red MX-5 looked at me, stopped at the give way until I was a bit nearer and then launched themselves in front of me. They clearly knew what they done as they swerved onto the wrong side of the road as they accelerated away - getting out of the way after the damage had so nearly been done.
Fortunately my spidey senses and awesome bike handling skills ;) avoided what could have been a nasty off.
I nearly caught up with them at the A64 junction, where a quiet word might have been in order, but they got a gap in traffic and were off...

Anyway, a quick scoot along the A64 and onto Thorner Lane and then the descent of Sandhills into Thorner itself - slightly checked by a headwind that was blowing in a different direction to the forecast :wacko:
Through the village as the church bells rang out and then the climb up Milner Lane onto the ridge and along to East Rigton and more familiar territory along Bramham Lane, which was oddly wet and muddy so the bike is filthy, again. Dodged a farmer on a quad who didn't feel any need to slow down as we crossed on the single track lane :eek: and up Jewitt Lane onto another Thorner Lane where I stopped for a quick photo and drink at what must be one of the last fields locally that hasn't been harvested yet
:
IMG_20170813_093246565_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20170813_093404747.jpg

Back in the saddle and onto Milner Lane where I retraced my earlier route back into Thorner, where the bells were ringing again. This time I turned onto Carr Lane and climbed the hill, got my breath back on the slight drop and then climbed again to the A58, now into a headwind again. Clearly the wind was moving around to keep me honest...
A quick scoot along the A58 and at the junction with Coal Road a prize plum in an Audi had stopped blocking the turning completely. He moved enough to let me squeeze through and then overtook me 100 yards later climbing the hill. :dry:
Anyway, I was soon at the top for a wind assisted (finally!) blat along Coal Road before dropping onto local roads down to home, with a final loop around the block to push the mileage on.

16.1 miles (25.9km) in 1h 09m at an average of 13.9mph with 790ft climbed. Marginally quicker than yesterday, but still work to do. Mind you, one driver aside it was a good ride in nice weather. If only we could have a weekend with no headwinds, eh? Lots of cyclists out, most of them friendly, so all is good.

And now, the map:
13082017.JPG

Not sure what to do today:scratch:
1. a 'level 1' ride with Wakefield Triathlon Club (just a steady potter, overseeing/sheparding/guiding the newcomers/nervous riders)
2. a 'level 3' ride with a few of the faster members of WTC, but I'm not sure I'm up to that, at the moment, as I'm not as fit as I should be
(have ridden them before, & easily kept up, even dropping a couple on the hills)
3. a solo ride by myself, at my own pace/own route (as I have one, that I was going to use as a 'level 2' WTC ride, leading them)

If I do the 3rd choice, I can include in it, a viewing of 60103, as it passes under my given route once more

I chose.............................................. Number 3
The bike of choice, with it being a nice, dry, fairly warm day; the Gran Fondo (complete with shorts!! - but a long-sleeve Club jersey)

Out through Castleford, via Barnsdale Road (A656), up 'Mary Pannall', over the cross-roads of Back Newton Lane, & LongDike Lane, where it turns into 'Ridge Road'
A reasonable pace, along there, past Ledston Luck business park, & straight over 'Peckfield Bar' (where the A63 'Selby TurnPike', intersects at a roundabout)

As I approached 'Ridge Bridge', a trio were walking away, I swung over to speak to them, sadly I'd just missed it, & could just about hear it in the distance, & still smell the smoke
Bugger!!!!! (blame those sets of traffic-lights in Castleford)

A right turn then, onto Church Lane, to take me into Micklefield, & a turn onto the 'GNR'
Micklefield. 13.JPG

It was followed out of the village, with me wondering what it was like, when it was exactly that, & not bypassed..................
The road surface is atrocious, as the junction with Wakefield Road (Garforth - Lotherton - Towton - Tadcaster) is reached at Hook Moor

Continuing on the 'GNR', into Aberford, I stopped to take roughly the same photo as @NorthernDave

The clock was wrong, as it was 10:25, by my watch
Aberford. Gascoigne AlmsHouses. Lodge. 2.JPG Aberford. Gascoigne AlmsHouses. 5.JPG Aberford. Gascoigne AlmsHouses. 6.JPG

A brief descent into the village, then a right turn onto Lotherton Lane, getting caught up in a gaggle of MTB-ers, I got past them under the A1, & rode away from them up the hill (taking care to stay in the saddle, & push a reasonable gear; 39 x 17)
Leftwards, at the end towards 'The Crooked Billet', having first passed the North Yorkshire, & 'District Of Selby' signs

On passing the 'Billet', & thelovely Lead Chapel (didn't stop this time), it was an uphill right, onto Dam Lane, towards Saxton, where there's a few Apple trees growing alongside the road
One was picked for later
DSCF3616.JPG

The Greyhound was passed, a quite old Pub, that was famous for not having cellars (until the mid 80's)
- see 'My Picture Of The Day' thread -

With the trip out of the village, in the south-west corner, onto Coldhill Lane, heading towards Garlic Flats
In the picture, the road to the right, goes back to Lotherton Hall, & Aberford
To the left, it heads to Sherburn-in-Elmet
DSCF3623.JPG

A slight tailwind allowed me to big-ring it, from the corner with Coldhill Pond, all the way, through the 'rolling section', under the railway bridge, as far as the junction with Church Hill, & KirkGate

Turned right, towards Newthorpe, & http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/index.asp
A call was decided, as I've not been for a while, & it looked fairly busy
The stage was being dismantled, after their annual 'Rock & Bike Show'
There was a plethora of 'Satans Slaves' around, with members from the English chapters, & German too, going by the patches
Had a brief chat with a couple

Once tea was consumed, it was back over the 'new' A1, under the 'old' A1, & turn onto New Road, with the descent to Ledsham, entering the village opposite http://thechequersinn.com/history/

Through this lovely little village, to meet back up with Back Newton Lane, which was crossed earlier in the ride
A drop into Ledston, to cut out the horrendous 'corrugated' road-surface, on the downhill part of 'Mary Pannall' (a HGV has probably braked, on a hot day, as something turned into a farm, & the trailer has quite literally 'corrugated' the tarmac with axle-tramp, I presume)

A short run back into Castleford, via Barnsdale Road again, with the usual mayhem, when circumnavigating the roundabout by Bridge Street/Wheldon Road

Home through the town-centre, & Hightown, then past Voysey Row, at Whitwood Common
One more obstacle being the M62 roundabout at jct 31, this being a 'dog-bone; with roundabouts to either side of the elevated m-way..... & I want the centre lane all the way round^_^
Good sprint training...........................

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
I set out early this morning with a target of 50 miles. All down hill to the Cheshire Plain and then the back lanes to Knutsford for a quick coffee stop at Waitrose. A short dash along the High St brought me to the entrance to Tatton Park which was busy with cyclists and dog walkers.

Only a couple of hundred yards into the park and I spotted the deer that roam around so a photo had to be taken. I'd only just put my phone away when I spotted a Penny Farthing coming towards me so another photo was taken. Out the back entrance of Tatton Park and through the lanes towards Chelford where I hoped to see some of the traction engines at Astle Park Steam rally. They are usually set up near the entrance so you can stop to take a few photos but this year they had moved them out of view of the main road.

A few more miles towards Marton passing Jodrell Bank and a second coffee stop and toilet break was taken. From here across country towards Bosley before heading back through Macclesfield and home. An extremely pleasant ride in perfect conditions.

IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 20.35.52.png

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Friday's Ride

Saddlebags packed Mrs 26 and I headed for the run over to the Cotswolds. We took the route by the school for Tewkesbury where traffic was horrendous. Dodging our way through we arrived in the safety of the lanes for Tredington. Thence we crossed for Woolstone to begin the foothills. Lumpy up and down took us to Greet and on for the cafe at Hailes Abbey. A lovely light lunch fortified us for the stiff climb up Soudely Hill.

Now we were in relatively new territory. Giuting Power was a lovely village although Naunton was a little disappointing. It was quite hard going up and down and up again so when we looped to the Slaughters we paused to admire the villages and the river. Bourton-on-the-Water was thronged with tourists so we sped through. Dropping into the Sherborne and Windrush valley lead us to Burford where Mrs 26 required a cafe stop. 2 cream teas disappeared fairly quickly.

Now we routed to the north of the Windrush staying well away from the fast traffic on the A40. Witney arrived and after a couple of wrong turns we were set straight by a helpful lady. Daughter #2 greeted us with a lovely hug and a pot of tea. Super ride today with a super daughter to visit. Can't beat it. 68 smiles

Top Bottom