Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
VZW3MPZl.jpg

v7LqZ6rl.jpg

kUys8ecl.jpg

j7wDeM1l.jpg

Got flashed and waved down as I rode towards this, everybody up and walking :okay:

QY8gwz2h.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Day off work so after a mornings gardening . I love a nice tidy garden but hate the work involved !!! I'm no gardener really . So in need of a ride to keep the run going currently 79 days of consecutive cycling days . Set it with a target of one Veloviewer square 17 miles from home .Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington and up Humble lane and under the A46 instead of my normal route up the Wreake valley I went straight on to East Goscote then Rearsby across the A607 where the terrain becomes more rolling . Up and out of Gaddesby and onto Great Dalby and then the lumpy B6047 to Melton Mowbray to get my Veloviewer square. Reach the plateau where the old airfield site and can really feel the wind and realise it's a headwind home .On the edge of Melton went left at Kirby lane through Eye Kettleby and onto the A607 for half a mile then turn to Asfordby . Return up the Wreake valley into the normal headwind . Hoby ,Thrussington ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake and the nice descent of Humble lane into Cossington and retrace my outward route back home . 36.8 miles in the bag in glorious conditions if a tad windy

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
3 rides today, a couple of utility rides into Egham & Staines, then pushed myself into going out after lunch to get a few extra miles in so I stay on track for the Strava distance challenge. Once I got going it was fine, and a nice route out through Virginia Water into Chobham and back saw the RT-58 tick over 3000 miles since I bought it on a whim whilst bedbound in 2015, IIRC it was a thread on here with a discount code or something. Got a lot more comfortable since the addition of a new setback seatpost courtesy of @Drago of this parish, and has notched in a good few miles since then.
467.5 miles done of 777 mile target.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two rides today. Firstly a bit of utility riding as I headed into town to have my eyes checked..... yup, they're still there. Then a ride back via the Quarry where lots of work was going on to dismantle all the marquees after the Flower Show at the weekend. 7.5 miles at about 12.5 mph average.

After lunch I headed off for something a bit more fun - a ride over the Long Mynd. I headed south through Condover (the bridge is still closed), Ryton and Longnor. Another rider overtook here but I caught him again a mile or so up the road and we chatted until our paths split as I was turning off to Leebotwood and climbing up into the hills through Woolstaston and High Park. This is a fair slog, climbing over 1000 feet in about 3 miles. I overtook a guy on a mountain bike while crossing Wild Moor, who then got in front again while I was taking photos so I had a chat with him too while we finished the climb to the summit.

There were great views from Pole Bank today as the overnight rain had cleared the air nicely. Moving on I was headed for the gliding club where there was lots of activity with gliders being winched up every few minutes and also in the adjacent field where the hang-gliding club were making the most of the good breeze.

After a pause to watch what was going on I carried on along the Starboard Way, the permissive bridleway round the edge of the airfield (the main route across the Long Mynd is an ancient road called the Portway but it goes straight through the middle of the airfield so isn't safe when flying is taking place).

After rejoining the Portway for a short while I turned off into the Forestry Commission land then descended to Hamperley and turned north heading for home. Got a fly in my eye about a mile from Little Stretton (that smarted a bit), then had the wind helping and rode through Church Stretton and All Stretton at a nice quick pace.

I extended the ride by going through Acton Burnell, then again later on by going over Lyth Hill.

Quite a few other cyclists out today and all the motorists I encountered were quite polite. A good ride.

39.6 miles at 12.3 mph average. Not bad for a hilly ride on a heavy bike.

DSC0004944.jpg

From the morning ride: lots of dismantling going on in The Quarry.

DSC0004945.jpg

Woolstaston.

DSC0004946.jpg

Pausing for a drink before the climb ramps up.

DSC0004948.jpg

Ponies at Shooting Box.

DSC0004949.jpg

Toposcope and trig point at Pole Bank.

DSC0004951.jpg

The patch of trees closest is the site of Pole Cottage and in the distance is the gliding club and the Forestry Commission plantation I'm heading for.

DSC0004956.jpg

Glider and paraglider carefully sharing their airspace.

DSC0004957.jpg

The Midland Gliding Club premises and as you see from the wind sock, it was a little breezy today.

DSC0004960.jpg

Recreating an arty shot I tried a while ago. The heather in full bloom helps it.

DSC0004969.jpg

Back down to reality at Church Stretton and about to head towards home.

gavgav

Guru
Out after work in the warm sunshine, but very strong wind from the West/South West as per normal!

Headed over to Dad's via Hook a Gate, Annscroft and Exfords Green. A couple of unwanted annoyances, on the stretch between Exfords Green and Stapleton, firstly a knobber driver came blasting towards me, down the narrow uphill (for me) section and had no intention of slowing down, forcing me into the verge :thumbsdown: and then a wasp flew down inside my shirt, just as a car came the other way on another narrow section! Luckily I managed to use one hand to get it out without being stung and avoided falling off or running into the car :eek:. Was glad to get off the bike at Dad's for a half hour chat.

The route back home was through Ryton, Berriewood, where a Hooray Henry in a Chelsea Tractor, with personalised plates, decided to give me a fast and very close pass on the long straight section, and Betton.

16.3 miles at 13.4 mph avg, which I was happy with considering the headwind that seemed to be there in whatever direction I travelled!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Not often I have a ride to describe as utter crap, but tonight was that night.,
After a few miles I went over the A428 bridge to Bourn. As I stood on the pedals the chain slipped on the chainring. My left knee locked out with weight going through it. It bloody hurt.
5 minutes later it happened again, same knee too! For the rest of the ride around the Gransdens I just ambled, unclipping my left leg from time to time to move my knee about.
I turned up into the Hardwick road and my chain came off completely, wedged between frame and chainring. I hope nobody heard my more than gratuitous swearing!
As I came round this bend I was overtaken by a lad. Once I'd got my chain back on I continued up the road. After a 1/4 of a mile I came across an empty and unbroken cider bottle 3' into the road on my side. There had been no cars since the lad went through... either he left it there or he couldn't be arsed to pick it up. I did.

My chain continued to skip,and grind for a bit.
IMG_4385.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1135344732

Once home I ordered some new chain Rings! The chain and cassette are quite new.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
After a few miles I went over the A428 bridge to Bourn. As I stood on the pedals the chain slipped on the chainring. My left knee locked out with weight going through it. It bloody hurt.
5 minutes later it happened again, same knee too! For the rest of the ride around the Gransdens I just ambled, unclipping my left leg from time to time to move my knee about.
I turned up into the Hardwick road and my chain came off completely, wedged between frame and chainring. I hope nobody heard my more than gratuitous swearing!
As I came round this bend I was overtaken by a lad. Once I'd got my chain back on I continued up the road. After a 1/4 of a mile I came across an empty and unbroken cider bottle 3' into the road on my side. There had been no cars since the lad went through... either he left it there or he couldn't be arsed to pick it up. I did.

View attachment 368236

Ow. Hope it didn't hurt to much. :ohmy:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Ow. Hope it didn't hurt to much. :ohmy:

Thank you. I cycled in to work this morning with a bit of a niggle, but I might just survive!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....

View attachment 368236

Liked for getting out, as opposed to the issues experienced..

SHort and fastish route today (and flat too)

Through Laleham Shepperton, Lower Sunburyto Hampton, the main road was busy so side road to Bushy Park, a quick up and down there, and back via Hampton Hill and Feltham

Managed to cut off the end of the ride so these are in two bits

Total 23.72 miles @ 18.1 mph
No climbing to speak of

Good workout, speed as good as I can manage in normal traffic
https://www.strava.com/activities/1136264479
and small endpart
https://www.strava.com/activities/1136264497

Old jon

Guru
Leeds is doing well for bright mornings just recently, and today was similar. Time was a little short and I sort of worked out a route to fit. Twenty miles is what I aimed for and I rode, according to Garmin, about 70 yards more than that. A good guess I think.

The fixed this morning, I tend to alternate the two bikes or I might just forget what each one is like. I still occasionally try to freewheel on this one, but only in the first hundred yards. A wander through Holbeck starts things off well, and along Water Lane to escape. Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road and bridge and past the bus station snarl-up to Regent Street. The clock at Oakwood is next, and I resisted the temptation to turn left followed by right after Canal Gardens to visit the other West Park Ring Road that Leeds boasts . . . The hill to Slaid Hill is just too much for these legs on the fixed. So, Boot Hill to the Boot pub and along Whin Moor Lane to Shadwell.

I do not often turn right onto Main Street here, maybe all the shiny slidey tarmac decoration puts me off. A bit like studs on faces, can be a little daunting, but why does Shadwell need so many? One of life’s little mysteries I suppose. Up the rise, across the A 58 and along Carr Lane to Thorner. Google Earth tells me there is a Station Lane there also. Hmm, I can ( just ) remember the railway station at Wetherby, but at Thorner? A tiny little village?

Sandhills blessed me with a cooling breeze that did not impede forward motion much, and Skeltons Lane, followed by Red Hall Lane placed the breeze in a helpful direction. Back to the A 58 and the driver of a Range Rover thingy stopped and waved me across the junction. Very kind, but I was turning left. A totally uneventful pedal the rest of the way across Leeds, not much traffic, kind traffic lights and still fair weather. Brilliant ride again.

A map to celebrate Wednesday

16082017.jpg

gavgav

Guru

View attachment 368236

A like for perseverance!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Back from Hunstanton, bloody knackered.

Monday Ride out to Hunstanton

Left the house at 06:30. Told our lass I should be there about 3pm. She was driving with number two son. Out bound leg was to go north of Rutland Water and bag a couple of squares on the way. One of them south of Cottesmore had either a bridleway through a field or a quick scoot down a driveway to a farm. Decided to do the farm one but when I got there the drive was blocked off with security fencing and a new loose stone car park next to it. Looked like the place was being converted into posh housing. Anyway cheeky bugger that I am I asked the builders if I could ride through the car park and back - squared bagged. ^_^

After that it was over to Great Casterton to get across the A1 and through Stamford where I got flagged down by a car looking for shops, pointed him towards the town centre.

I went through Peterborough and like all built up areas it had some very nice areas and some right dives but I was very impressed with the cycle route along the River Nene and into Whittlesey. Some of it could do with a bit of fresh tarmac but it was well signposted and completely traffic free.

After that I was well and truly in the Fens and with the wind behind me it was by far the best part of the ride, through March and then Elm and into stacks of tiny villages.

Two things that caught my attention:

(1) the lack of signage, the rivers didn't have them, a lot of the villages didn't have them and apart from near Stamford I didn't see any county signs.
(2) The area south of Kings Lynn must have some German history - I saw a couple of farms that looked like they were owned by Germany companies and there were the odd villages with German in their name (that might just be coincidence and relate to something else)

Finally got to Kings Lynn around the 95 mile. Found a Tesco express and grabbed a meal deal and rode another 5 or 6 miles to Castle Rising where I sat on a bench and scoffed it. I went through Sandringham, that place is fantastic, well kept roads and loads of trees made it really nice to ride through. I then had another 13 or so miles through fantastic tiny lanes. I stopped at Old Hunstanton to take the obligatory bike with the sea in the picture picture:

WP_20170814_13_53_46_Pro.jpg

I couldn't get hold of our lass so I decided to ride around Hunstanton and immediately spotted the her in the car.

Spent yesterday in the place and rode back today.

Ride Back to Leicester
The ride home was very hard work with the wind pretty much against me. I had a big breakfast before I set off which was very late for me at just gone 9am.

I had a cafe stop planned for around the 75 mile mark but decided to ditch it and knock 4 miles off the route I must admit by this time I was fed up of the wind. Anyway just after this I came to a road closed sign and the diversion added 5 miles to the route. :sad:

By the time I got to Uppingham I needed to replenish the drinks so stopped at a garage and got 2 litres of water, a can of coke and a bottle of lucozade. All of it drink by the time I got home. The coke made me feel better straight away which was a good job as I was about to tackle Knob Hill, which I had been dreading since I planned the route. Got up it fine but then crawled into and out of Hallaton

Got home not long after 5, the average speed 1mph slower than Monday.

Just shy of 119 miles for the out leg and 121 miles for the home leg and as posted on Monday one of my goals of cycling to the coast ticked off. :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1136767874

https://www.strava.com/activities/1136779892

Last edited:
Top Bottom