Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trying to increase mileage, normally do a quick (well, slow actually) 8 mile route before work most days, but had a bit time this morning so went on one of those "see where it takes me" rides. Ended up doing 22 miles through some lovely Northumbrian countryside, well pleased with myself, but alas no photos, sorry....will try harder next time :-)

https://www.strava.com/activities/292414914/

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Just 7 miles this morning in brilliant sunshine, if a little cool. Only a short ride cos I just wanted to reacquaint myself with how the Sherpa feels fully loaded.

Bimbled from Hayfield down to New Mills along t'main road then back via Thornsett. Couldn't resist giving Sitch Lane a go. I cycle it regularly but never before with all this weight. Result! No problems. Lowest gear o' course.

Now, she's back in the garage, waiting for Friday and the small matter of driving down to Lands End. See here: www.farnotfast.blogspot.co.uk

WP_20150426_001.jpg

Life is good. I hope as many of you as possible are out enjoying this beautiful weather today. I'm taking my lovable, limpy lab out for a walk this aft.
Smile!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride posted today as usual...

A shortish ride around the local lanes and Pitsford Reservoir in pleasant, but breezy, weather. Nice enough for shorts, but I donned a light fleece top to keep the chill off my torso.

DSC_0894.JPG

One of the streams that feeds the res, and the first nettle stings of the season to get this photo :laugh:

DSC_0896.JPG

One of the well tended gardens in Ecton, just down the road from the Worlds End.

22 miles, taking me to 109 for te week (and I might get the chance to pop out later once I've taken Granddaughter to the park for a few hours this afternoon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/292331354

:smile:

21 and a bit miles, in order to complete a couple of Strava challenges (Specialized spring classics challenge, and April MTS)

That's 1225 Km's in 40 days (I got it with 16 days to spare) and 1250 Km's in a month (I got it with 4 days to spare).

https://www.strava.com/activities/292736284

I saw a lot of people doing something called 'running' apparently:ohmy:

image.jpg

Southampton 10K run and half marathon.:thumbsup:. Not my bag, but fair play to them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yesterday was my attempt to break my record of 220 miles for the longest distance I have ridden. It was the Oasts & Coasts 300KM Audax in Kent.
It meant an early start at 4.30am as it was a 15 mile cycle to the start in Meopham. It was raining when I got up and after munching on brekkie it abated somewhat to fine drizzle by the time I had left. Meeting up with @Trickedem & @frank9755 the first part of the route was some Kent lanes I know all too very well, including backing up on myself from my route in to the start. It wasn't cold, far from it, but there was a heavy mist and sometimes drizzle to contend with. Zip up the windcheater, unzip the windcheater and repeat. By the time we had got to the Ashdown Forest the mist came down really heavy and the climb to the summit not helped by heavier rain which made for very interesting descent into Uckfield for the first control. By the time myself and Tim got to Battle at 70 miles in, the rain and mist had disappeared and whilst having brekkie we could see the sun coming out. Things were looking up
10368935_10153337250302578_3041457151063504591_o.jpg

From Battle we turned east and with the fantastic tailwind was pushed along the marshes at a fantastic rate of knots. We were averaging a 19/20mph average over a 30 mile stretch without even trying. Times like these don't come along often but when they do, you make the most of it. it's bloody fantastic and more then makes up for the not so nice weather on the first leg of the ride. It's what makes riding a bike so enjoyable.
11009394_10153339395832578_3288462997591519818_o.jpg

But there's always a sting in the tail and that sting is the climb of Capel Le Ferne and up and around Dover Castle. Boy oh Boy they were tough, made even tougher by now having 120 miles in my legs.

Dover Castle - You can see by the flag at how windy it was up there.
10399430_10152947634605958_801786461309022543_n.jpg

From Dover it was nice to give the legs a rest as we descended to sea level and followed the coast northwards. The seaside towns all passing buy in a blur. Walmer, Deal and Sandwich. Through Minster to Burchington turning west into the headwind cycling along the seawall all the way to Reculver. A horrid headwind making for tough going.

11047877_10152947634755958_5623159345616528109_n.jpg

On to Herne Bay where a control at Mackaris Ice Cream Parlour meant glorious milkshakes and sticky cake type things all round. And so to the last leg home. From Whitstable to Hollingbourne. A route I know only to well from doing it so many times on the SMRbtH. But this did mean traversing Seasalter and the Graveny Marshes. A road so hideously boring and dull. I think having had to ride it so often and usually with a soul destroying headwind. So it was a case of head down and just get to the junction for Faversham and from Faversham to Hollingbourne a really nice 15 miles of rolling Kent lanes making for some really nice cycling. By now it was getting dark and by the time we hit the Hollingbourne Info control it was full on darkness. Thank gawd for Tim's dynamo lighting which had more lumens then a WWII searchlight. A godsend in the country lanes with all the potential pothole hazards.
It didn't take long to get to the last info control, local knowledge being a wonderful thing meaning there was no hanging about. By this time raindrops started to fall and slowly got heavier. Of course with rain comes grit sticking to tyres, grit sticking to tyres meant one thing.. a puncture. 10 miles from the end...how very annoying. We were lucky to find a little shelter to be able to change the tube out of the rain. I couldn't find the cause of the puncture so had to hope that the tube held for the rest of the ride. And it did. We got back to the Meopham control at 10.15pm. 15 minutes later then I envisaged due to that damn puncture. Plenty of food was on offer and I tried my very best to eat every cheese roll that was placed on the table.

45 minutes later I was back out on the road to ride the 15 miles home. The rain had stopped and it was still quite mild. So didn't rush and just took it easy through the country lanes. Some for the 3rd time today. I got home just a little after 12 midnight. A long day indeed.

So.. 217 miles for the day. I wanted to top 220 as that was my previous longest ride record. But you know what? I had such a brilliant time that I really wasn't bothered about beating it. I just pootled home knowing I had just ridden one of the very best cycling routes I have ever done.

It's the Oasts and Coasts Audax. I will be signing up again next year and so should you.

11182721_10152949266030958_6329930754067360803_o.jpg

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday was my attempt to break my record of 220 miles for the longest distance I have ridden. It was the Oasts & Coasts 200KM Audax in Kent.
It meant an early start at 4.30am as it was a 15 mile cycle to the start in Meopham. It was raining when I got up and after munching on brekkie it abated somewhat to fine drizzle by the time I had left. Meeting up with @Trickedem & @frank9755 the first part of the route was some Kent lanes I know all too very well, including backing up on myself from my route in to the start. It wasn't cold, far from it, but there was a heavy mist and sometimes drizzle to contend with. Zip up the windcheater, unzip the windcheater and repeat. By the time we had got to the Ashdown Forest the mist came down really heavy and the climb to the summit not helped by heavier rain which made for very interesting descent into Uckfield for the first control. By the time myself and Tim got to Battle at 70 miles in, the rain and mist had disappeared and whilst having brekkie we could see the sun coming out. Things were looking up
View attachment 86886

From Battle we turned east and with the fantastic tailwind was pushed along the marshes at a fantastic rate of knots. We were averaging a 19/20mph average over a 30 mile stretch without even trying. Times like these don't come along often but when they do, you make the most of it. it's bloody fantastic and more then makes up for the not so nice weather on the first leg of the ride. It's what makes riding a bike so enjoyable.
View attachment 86889

But there's always a sting in the tail and that sting is the climb of Capel Le Fur and up and around Dover Castle. Boy oh Boy they were tough, made even tougher by now having 120 miles in my legs.

Dover Castle - You can see by the flag at how windy it was up there.
View attachment 86887

From Dover it was nice to give the legs a rest as we descended to sea level and followed the coast northwards. The seaside towns all passing buy in a blur. Walmer, Deal and Sandwich. Through Minster to Burchington turning west into the headwind cycling along the seawall all the way to Reculver. A horrid headwind making for tough going.

View attachment 86888

On to Herne Bay where a control at Mackaris Ice Cream Parlour meant glorious milkshakes and sticky cake type things all round. And so to the last leg home. From Whitstable to Hollingbourne. A route I know only to well from doing it so many times on the SMRbtH. But this did mean traversing Seasalter and the Graveny Marshes. A road so hideously boring and dull. I think having had to ride so often and usually with a soul destroying headwind. So it was a case of head down and just get to the junction for Faversham and from Faversham to Hollingbourne a really nice 15 miles of rolling Kent lanes making for some really nice cycling. By now it was getting dark and by the time we hit the Hollingbourne Info control it was full on darkness. Thank gawd for Tim's dynamo lighting which had more lumens then a WWII searchlight. A godsend in the country lanes with all the potential pothole hazards.
It didn't take long to get to the last info control, local knowledge being a wonderful thing meaning there was no hanging about. By this time raindrops started to fall and slowly got heavier. Of course with rain comes grit sticking to tyres, grit sticking to tyres meant one thing.. a puncture. 10 miles from the end...how very annoying. We were lucky to find a little shelter to be able to change the tube out of the rain. I couldn't find the cause of the puncture so had to hope that the tube held for the rest of the ride. And it did. We got back to the Meopham control at 10.15pm. 15 minutes later then I envisaged due to that damn puncture. Plenty of food was on offer and I tried my very best to eat every cheese roll that was placed on the table.

45 minutes later I was back out on the road to ride the 15 miles home. The rain had stopped and it was still quite mild. So didn't rush and just took it easy through the country lanes. Some for the 3rd time today. I got home just a little after 12 midnight. A long day indeed.

So.. 217 miles for the day. I wanted to top 220 as that was my previous longest ride record. But you know what? I had such a brilliant time that I really wasn't bothered about beating it. I just pootled home knowing I had just ridden one of the very best cycling routes I have ever done.

It's the Oasts and Coasts Audax. I will be signing up again next year and so should you.

View attachment 86891

Cracking ride!!! Chapeau..

:okay:

13 rider

Guru
Ride of three parts today .group ride planned start at 9.15 .up early so out at 8.15 set off for a few miles and hills before meeting up.so out through Newtown Linford and up sharply hill into Swithland and on through Rothley to meeting point. Group growing in numbers normal two mates Andy and Steve and newbie Jason (@Teddsie) and another Phil .bit of a mixed ability group.so route planned with a couple of stops to regroup .Down Swithland lane to Rothley Station and through Cropston .I stuck at the back with Jay as the quicker guys shot off. Right in Cropston and over the reservoir where we picked the group back up. On passed the entrance to Bradgate park where with passed a fellow work mate and biker but today he was out running quick wave :hello: as we were travelling in opposite directs . On pass the golf course and the slow uphill drag to the crossroads .Jay took a quick breather here (he's not used to hills) .on towards beacon where me and the other Phil swopped roles he stayed with Jay so I had a quick blast on and up beacon hill.Got to the top then went back down to check on Jay .he was halfway up spun round and rode to the top with him
(well done Jay :wahhey:) down the quick descent through Wood house Eaves and into Quorn .cross the river into Barrow and on to Sileby and back to Mountsorrel .first Steve dropped of at home then Jay (14miles done 11.8 mph) .Then retraced the route back to Rothley were Andy turned for home then in Cropston the other Phil turned for home so part three a few more miles so retraced route back towards the golf course but turned back to Newtown Linford and back down sharpley hill through Newtown and back home . 36 miles done at 12.8 mph. Lovely ride in lovely weather that nicely warmed up as we were out . Loads of bikers out today

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive been under the weather all weekend, lethargic, slightly iffy stomach....just not on it at all. Wife asks if I'm going out today..I reluctantly think no, its not wise while I feel like this, them change my mind and go for a steady few miles.
Despite not pushing hard, still surpringly managed 19.5 miles at 14.7 mph average...which tbh, I'm quite happy with..and feel better having got out there.
Plus, wind (well strong breeze) from the north...I'm riding east/west so never really got any help with a tailwind.
Nothing outstanding, bit very pleased.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having already missed out on ColinJ's forum ride last week I didn't want to pull out of another one so despite the very unappealing forecast got myself and the knockabout bike out for @nickyboy's ride to Llandudno yesterday.

Having looked at the proposed route when it was announced it occured to me that if I rode from home and joined at the Eureka Cafe lunch stop (northwest of Chester) the mileage would be quite similar to starting with the main group. It would also fulfil an ambition to ride from home to Chester (and would mean a less early start as I wouldn't have to rush to get myself and bike to Manchester Piccadilly for 9am :whistle:)

My route started on familiar roads up to Ellesmere before heading up the A528 then onto the lanes through Holly Bush, Worthenbury, Shocklach, and up to Farndon. From here I turned west then north through Rossett, Pulford, Belgrave and Eccleston which brought me into Chester by a quieter and more picturesque way.

The trip to Chester was pretty straightforward apart from a couple of missed junctions which added distance I hadn't intended. The south-westerly wind helped more than hindering, so I was able to move along briskly if not fast and the couple of showers I passed through weren't bad enough to consider putting on waterproofs. There were stops for flapjack at Ellesmere and at Farndon plus quite a few more for checking the map.

I'd made good time to Chester but then it all went a bit wrong as I tried to negotiate my way on the quiet route I'd planned to the Eureka Cafe. I'd printed out a cycling map of Chester beforethe ride so had something to refer to but even so found it confusing as the map isn't entirely clear about where the paths connect and the signage ranges from excellent to absent.:wacko:

I found my way in the end, getting on to the greenway, and off at the right place in Blacon, heading for Saughall. This had all taken much more time than expected and I was now worried I'd be late at the cafe and holding everyone else up. A sudden deluge while riding through Saughall didn't help the mood and finding the main street closed due to resurfacing (and a rotten, lumpy job they were making of it:thumbsdown:) was the icing on the cake.:rolleyes:

The cafe (60.4 miles) was reached to find the few people who were due to start there but not the main body of the ride which we later found had been held up by @Cubist's crash.

The chance was taken to chat and eat then the other riders eventually started to arrive substantially later than intended.

We realised that it was unlikely that we'd make it to Fish Tram Chips before closing time (our target for the end of the ride) so a group of us including @Crackle, @rich p, @pubrunner, @mike3121 and @Origamist set out (others had already made a start)

Using the knockabout bike and having already done 60 miles I was a little worried about keeping up so was pleased to find the legs still feeling pretty good and that the pace of the group was comfortable. None of us had a GPS programmed with the route so we were winging it a bit however the signage for route 5 was fairly good, although we'd have missed one junction if I hadn't remembered it from the ride notes.

As we were joining the main roads again a group of cyclists appeared from our right - these being the rest of the group who'd obviously taken a more direct way to catch up. We tagged on to the group and were on our way down the A548 which as was stated in the ride notes isn't particularly scenic but does take us the right way.

Not much to say about this section other than the traffic behaved and we had the first signs of fatigue as a couple of riders dropped back. By the time we got to the turn for Talacre we were missing a few people. Here Nick was getting a little frustrated that he was the only one with a working GPS and ended up having to lead to make sure we headed the right way on the paths. Now we were off the main road the riding was great. It was possible to chat a bit more and enjoy riding through the dunes...... and the rain.:laugh:

Somewhere along here @I like Skol picked up a puncture and stopped to fix it saying he'd catch up when we stopped at the cafe in Rhyl.

At Prestatyn the path turned towards the sea and along the front. There is a really wide smooth promenade as part of the sea defences which made for good riding and would have been even better had it not been wet and cold. The sand needed a bit of care though. Best not to ride through it if possible - my front wheel washed out on one patch and I'm not quite sure how I kept it upright.

At Rhyl we lost a couple more riders, found the cafe was closed and had to take a detour because the sand across the path was too deep to ride.

The coastal path is generally about as flat as anyone could wish but on the next section there are a couple of hills which are short and sharp. The knockabout bike is nicely low geared but not everyone elses is so there was some pushing involved. By the time we got to the last of these I was definitely running out of energy so it was nice to drop into Llandudno at last.

The cloud bank was finally moving away by this point so we saw Llandudno promenade in a nice evening sunshine. The place has been smartened up quite a bit since I was last here (a few years ago now) and seems very appealing. I will come back and visit again.

Getting up the final climb to the tramway station, the chippy had stayed open an hour later than normal especially for us. I can't express how much that was appreciated and the fact the food was really good just finished the ride nicely.

While waiting to be served there was a crash and I turned to see @mike3121 lying on his back with the bike waving in the air. All that way and he suffered a crash on the last hill. (There was an impressive bit of grazing but I understand no serious injury)

A great day out despite what the weather threw at us (to give an idea of how cold it went in the afternoon, there was a fresh dusting of snow on the hills just inland ).

106.9 miles for the day at 12.7 mph average. ^_^

DSC0002171.jpg

A good display of blossom while leaving Shrewsbury

DSC0002173.jpg

Taking a break by The Mere at Ellesmere.

DSC0002175.jpg

Looking towards Wales from somewhere near Shocklach. The showers are starting to gather.

DSC0002182.jpg

Getting wet in Chester..........

DSC0002187.jpg

.........but it didn't last long. The knockabout bike by Grosvenor Bridge.

DSC0002188.jpg

Well met at Eureka. @mike3121 and @pubrunner

DSC0002192.jpg

Escaping into the dunes after a long stretch on the A road.

DSC0002193.jpg

Lovely weather on the prom at Prestatyn.:rain::cold::whistle:

DSC0002196.jpg
Well surfaced coastal path and our goal is in sight :okay: (even if it is a long way off still).

DSC0002197.jpg

Again, a thankyou to Fish Tram Chips for staying open late to feed us.:hungry: Very nice it was too.

Last edited:

BrynCP

Über Member
Out to the coast today; unfortunately my "back road" route is closed for bridge repairs so I decided to go my old route, via the main 'B' road. It's been a while since I went that way but it's fairly pleasant, a constant stream of traffic but never have any problems until the caravans being towed come out (some drivers tend to forget they have the caravan when they pull back in). Sun out all the time, but the temperature sure dropped in the shade.

Not sure where my energy came from today, but I really pushed hard speed wise and completed the 43.4 mile loop in just over 2.5 hours, an average moving speed of 17.1mph. It would have been higher if not for the heavy traffic when I got back into Hull.

That takes this weeks total mileage up to 155 miles / 9hr 20 minutes of cycling. Week ahead looks wet and windy.

Top Bottom