Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Beautiful day here on the South coast. Took my new Ridgeback Tourer out for its first real spin now everything is fitted, tightened and checked by the excellent guys at my LBS ( Lockes of Sandwich ) before my month in Europe in July. Everything works a treat, though the saddle will need to be swapped with my road bike.

Allergy sufferers beware

View attachment 87738

but fab coffee at Goats that dance cafe.

Good to be back out there in the warm sun.

View attachment 87739
Blimey it must be warm if your bike has seen the light of day again :ohmy: :tongue:

13 rider

Guru
Three part ride again today .First part a few solo miles as I was up early before meeting mates for group ride. Nice and sunny start so shorts and short sleeved top bit chilly to start but was just right later.So from Anstey to Thurcaston,Rothley, Cossington,Sileby and Quorn and on to meeting point in Mountsorrel .part two. 5 of us again me Andy,Steve newbie @Teddsie and a more experience work mate Ian . So route decided after being accused of trying to Kill @Teddsie last week I thought I try again a throw a good climb in the mix to see if I could do it this week. So off we set and soon split into fast group of three and me and @Teddsie at the back first junction and the fast group go the wrong way so much for everyone knowing the way. Regrouped in Swithland and turned back towards Cropston but this meant an unplanned climb .Off round the back of Bradgate park and out to Beacon crossroads and swung left and then left on to Charley road and on to Oaks in Charnwood and on to the climb .To @Teddsie credit he got up in one go ( I need to find a bigger hill) after a nice rest at the top it was downhill and right on the bottom back onto Charley rd retracing are steps .At beacon crossroads Steve headed straight on due to time pressure the rest of us carried on on the lovely fast road back past the golf course and on to Cropston ,Rothley and back to Mountsorrel .Got back to meeting to find my water bottle still on the bench where I'd left it an hour and half ago .21 miles done @Teddsie longest ride :bravo:.I can report @Teddsie is still alive (just) well done mate. Part three so 36 miles done I decided to push on a get a 50 miler in.On towards Quorn and turned to Wood house eaves stopped at the church for a quick snack and watched some runners finishing the half marathon we had crossed several times .I thought I looked tired. So on up the Beacon hill ( reminder don't attempt beacon hill after 40 miles) very slow grind to the top but made up ,on over the crossroads to Copt Oak and towards Markfield swung a left onto Priory lane and down Pollybotts to Newtown Linford and home .50.25 miles done in lovely sunshine . At home now feet up cup of coffee and cake legs feeling tired .

Last edited:
This is yesterday's and today's rides.

Yesterday I took the 'new' trike mechanic with me. He had managed to fix my trike on Saturday but I still thought it wise to have him with me. My gear changing issues had all been down to a grub screw not being done up tight enough in the external gear changer, but I still wanted someone with me. I can't get the low and really didn't fancy spending 2 hours spinning very slowly home again.

And with the roads rather quiet, I was able to get some pictures of the more scenic roads I ride during the week but are generally took busy for me to risk getting the camera out and taking a picture. Somewhere around Delamere a white mini overtook me really wide and really safely, but sadly managed to ping a stone which ricocheted off a tree and hit my glasses. It has scratched them really badly and I now need new - problematic for someone who has been confined to home for the last 6 months and can't sit in a chair!

IMG_3237.JPG

A rather scenic dip and climb in the road, or should I say 'what I have already done' given it is in my rear view mirror. I do like it but the surface leaves a lot to be desired and it is a long bottom gear grind. My OH played the usual game of hill repeats whilst I simply settled for doing the hill once. Towards the top we spotted a sheep with its head stuck in a fence. We stopped to assist and soon it was on its way again. :okay:

IMG_3244.JPG

Another of the climbs and another of the rear view mirror views, but this time I was able to find somewhere to stop and get a photo...

IMG_3245.JPG

... of my OH do his hill repeats and of the climb. Somewhere around here I caught my OH chatting up a female horse rider :ohmy:. Her horse had not responded well to him and his bike, so he was worried about the trike. Strangely the horse managed the trike much better, and I offered to allow the horse to be introduced to it as well. It is a road I do quite a bit at the moment, so any horse that knows me is one better.

IMG_3248.JPG

And he is enjoying himself way too much...
After here, the climb is almost over (there is nothing more to climb literally) and the view yesterday was really good with the Jodrell Bank telescope showing up really well. The view of the Pennines was great as well because the sky was clear from the torrential rain we had had around 5am yesterday morning. The evidence was on every climb and in every dip and on one or two occasions across the road entirely!

IMG_3255.JPG

Then not a lot happened.

IMG_3259.JPG

Going down...

IMG_3262.JPG

Going back up...

https://www.strava.com/activities/297418521 20.5 miles with an average of 8.2mph. Oh did I mention it was windy? It was windy... very windy.. and my OH tried unsuccessfully to use me as a wind shield and has established that you can't use a trike as a wind shield so he is now sulking! :whistle:

Today's Ride.
Having thrown my OH out at around 7:30am with his road bike and told him to be out all day (he failed, he was home for 12:30pm having done 105km! :eek:), I had the morning to myself and normally on a Monday I extent the ride by 2.5 miles and ensure it has plenty more climbing... and so I did today. Just before leaving I took the decision to apply the battle paint (factor 30). It was a wise move. It was a very sunny morning, and almost without a cloud in the sky until after 10am.

IMG_3263.JPG

I have been watching this copper beech tree and wanting to get a picture of it for a while. Today the roads were desserted and I got the opportunity to get a picture of it. I just like the colour it adds to a mundane corner.

IMG_3265.JPG

I do believe that this is a False oxlip (Primula veris x vulgaris), anyhow, I just liked it and it was the right height...

IMG_3270.JPG

The top of the climbing and there is literally nowhere left to go. It also shows me that we have been having the best of the weather. The Pennines are looking a tad murky!

https://www.strava.com/activities/297958161 22.6 miles with an average of 8.3mph and a respectable amount of climbing (strava has nabbed over 300 foot again!)... 1300 feet of climbing. Not bad for the Cheshire plains!

And apparently I have now done 500 miles on my trike!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
2 Part ride for me today.
1st part was the obligatory Home to Hospital, with the Cringleford loop added as I was a tad early. I got to the layby, outside the hospital and had just got off my bike when Hubster rolls up with the car and a pair of trainers for me. 6.9 miles in 27 mins and change, which is pretty swift for me.
Lovely day and I was kind of regretting my softshell jacket thing, over my tee-shirt.

From there we drove to Wymondham and walked a client's dog for an hour. In just my tee shirt and it was fine. Once the pup was dropped off, bikes out of the back of the car, cycling shoes back on and I made the decision to put my softshell back on as it was just a little breezy. We went:
Wreningham-Hethel-Ketteringham-Wym.jpg

It was a good ride. We took forever to get out of our client's road but once on the Norwich Road we whizzed down to the double roundabouts at Waitrose and then up on on the cyclepath along Harts Farm Road. We then headed past where the station is and up our old road, keeping straight on and onto Silfield Street. We rode though Silfield, Wreningham and on to Hethel and past the Lotus factory and test track (all quiet today) and headed right towards East Carleton but turned left at the village.
We were heading then to Ketteringham, through there and then back on Spinks Lane to our Client's house. Crossing the railway line in road shoes was interesting but it took only a moment. We had walked all the way up and back down Spinks Lane when walking Molly the dog.
Half way around I stopped and took my jacket off and regretted it about 20 seconds later when the sun (always trying to be funny) went behind a cloud and stayed there. I knew that if I stopped and put it back on that the sun would come out again. The sun did come out again but I hadn't put my jacket back on.
14.61 miles in 1:08;12.
Over 20 miles today in all. Hopefully out tomorrow if the weather holds. Hubster is up for it so I'm not going to pass up the opportunity of a ride with this week's iffy forecast.

Attachments

• Wreningham-Hethel-Ketteringham-Wym.jpg
    Wreningham-Hethel-Ketteringham-Wym.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 93

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Being the mercenary that I am it was work for me this morning which meant just a couple of hours spare this afternoon for a quick blast around the tourist mecca that is the New Forest on a bank holiday Monday.

So trying to steer clear of the busy roads it was out via Colbury to Beaulieu before heading across the forest on some nice new tarmac to the outskirts of Brockenhurst & on up to Rhinefield Ornamental Drive. Crossing the busy A35 was looking the better bet than cycling along it so it was up & down Bolderwood Hill again as per Saturdays ride before taking the back roads through Minstead, Bartley, Winsor & Calmore to home for a pleasant 35 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/297996261/

001.JPG

It was a high tide on the tidal River Beaulieu this afternoon.

004.JPG

As always, a warm welcome awaits when I get home from a ride..... or is it an "are you going to feed me now" look!

BrynCP

Über Member
Completed my fourth metric century today, 62.8 miles. Set off to do 50 miles but decided to extend at 40 when I still had some energy left, but the last 15 miles were hard.

Went south over the Humber Bridge and around the back of a deserted Humberside Airport. Back north over the Humber Bridge and then out west to Swanland and back to Hull via Brantingham Dale.

62.8 miles, 3hr 56 minutes moving (4:08 elapsed - re-applying sun cream!), 2736ft elevation.

upload_2015-5-4_16-57-26.png

700334519?size=290x290.png

A short 36 miler in East Lothian. Bloomin windy this morning.

Attachments

• 700334519?size=290x290.png
    700334519?size=290x290.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 70

MikeW-71

Veteran
Had a short 10 miles today, nice and easy for recovery after yesterday. Surprisingly I felt quite strong, though the climbing legs aren't back yet.

Then a thorough wash for the best bike, which is out of action now until I go get some new cleats and brake pads. When this bike gets replaced, the new one will have disc brakes.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Todays 117Km - not as tiring as last Sundays but thought I'd give Blaze Hill and Pym's chair a go....anyway
Northenden - Wilmslow - Alderly Edge - Over Alderley - Prestbury - Bollington - Up Blaze Hill, the one inbetween and finally Pym's Chair - Along the Goyt Valley - Cat and Fiddle -Langley - OakgroveGawsworth - Marton - Swettenham - Goostrey - Jodrell Bank - Chelford - Got a bit lost! - Alderley Edge - Wilmslow - Northenden
Strangely the last 60Km was a lot easier than the 40Km in the peak district...strange that.. Here's the view from Pym's Chair....
pyms chair.jpg

And a radio telescope....
J bank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

theloafer

Legendary Member
took my rocks to Barny ( Barnard castle) today a long my usual route ...there were loads of cyclists out ^_^ all enjoying the sun ..though the wind was a tad chilly..leggings on the whole ride but in ss top.. (was a mobile advert for cyclechat):okay:..I almost tried the ford today but I bottled it...:whistle:

WP_20150504_001.jpg

then on to Whorlton then a 3 mile detour to barny for coffee and food :hungry: bacon and egg bap
WP_20150421_003.jpg

and I think I had a short nap as I sat in the :sun:....:laugh: back out past the Bowes museum
WP_20150504_005.jpg

on to Caldwell - Eppleby wind at my back ^_^ but had to slow down just in case :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
WP_20150504_006.jpg

down to Piercebridge ...up past Walworth castle
walworth castle.JPG

and then some how I ended up in Archers ice cream shop again (the garmins fault):whistle: so thought as I am here why not...:tongue:
black forest gateau flavour mmmmmmmmmm the girl there asked I was trying to go through all there flavours :tongue::tongue::tongue:
WP_20150504_007.jpg

an other great day the old legs feel fine got 43 miles done so happy with that build up slowly with my rocks ^_^...
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/752909526

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@SatNavSaysStraightOn I love that 1st mirror photo, really reminds of some of David Hockney's works that I love because they remind me of cycling:
hockney2_zpsrtekv930.jpg
david-hockney-landscape-tunnel2_zpsncidimrv.jpg
I've been trying to regain my hill legs and drop some midriff ballast after a winter of hill dodging and only cycling in London. So it was out with the geared bike. On Saturday I opted for a trip out to Brasted along the long drag that is Layhams Rd, muscles I'd not used in months were twanged into life. Not feeling fresh enough to do Beddlestead lane I opted out of that, then sped down along Pilgrims Way and up round the always draining (for my 85kgs) Star Hill, along Grays Rd to the A233 which is busy but I love as its a fast thrash from Biggin Hill Airport back into central London. 52 miles and the jelly legs told me I'm heading in the right direction.
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4546255
Today I did a memory refresher to restore the neural pathways of my back route to Box Hill, which I'd not done in ages. Lovely day for it Managed to get crapped on by a roosting bird around Headley but somehow just splatted on my right shoe and sock so not causing too much of a gross-out. A quick rummage in the undergrowth for some suitable leaves to wipe away the cadbury's cream egg style white swirl with a tinge of cowpat green (sorry too much detail:whistle:).

Seemingly the whole world decided to go to Box Hill today, the first ramp was chocca with cars and bikes and I ambled up at sedate bank holiday pace along with everyone else.
Quick flapjack and rest break at the top where my legs were out tree-trunked by this impressive specimen
P1020060%20Large_zpspptg5okk.jpg
Then speedy run all the way back to town. 48 miles today.
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4575964
Ah the joys of summer, roll on next weekend.

Attachments

• david-hockney-landscape-tunnel2_zpsncidimrv.jpg
    david-hockney-landscape-tunnel2_zpsncidimrv.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 323
  • hockney2_zpsrtekv930.jpg
    hockney2_zpsrtekv930.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 55
  • P1020060%20Large_zpspptg5okk.jpg
    P1020060%20Large_zpspptg5okk.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well, that didn't go to plan.:sad:

My aim today was to get the imperial century in for May and possibly to do a bit more and reach another milestone.;) All started well, I was up and about on time and out of the house just after 7, doing an orbit of Shrewsbury on the lanes to the east, the north and then breaking away to the west. I headed out through Condover and up to Upton Magna initially, then skirted the edge of Haughmond Hill and continued through Astley, Hadnall, Walford Heath. It's ages since I last rode some of these lanes and I'd forgotten what a pleasant area it is. The panoramic view from near Merrington was brilliant - shame my photos don't look anything like as good as it was in real life.:rolleyes:

Moving on I was onto more familiar roads on the route to Melverley. Having added 15 miles with my change of route so far I added a couple more by going up to Kinnerley rather than the direct route to Melverley.

I was riding against the wind by now which was a bit blustery but not as bad a as last time I headed for Montgomery which is where I was aiming for next. Halfway House, Westbury and Worthen came and went. I had my second break of the morning at Brockton before pressing on again.

By the time I reached Montgomery thye back of my left knee was starting to ache. This has happened on the last three long rides at about this mileage (50ish) but has been okay when I easeed off a bit. I took a break for lunch here, then pressed on to find that the knee didn't really want to play today. I got to Bishop's Castle and was seriously considering abandoning the ride, but surprisingly after the climb over the hill into town it seemed to be easing so I carried on.

It had lulled me into a false sense of security though and by the time I got to Lydbury North I was struggling. At a place called Five Turnings I stopped to assess the situation: Although I really wanted to carry on and finish my planned route, realistically it was a non-starter. I could shorten the ride and head for home but that would still mean straining the knee further and having the disappointment of not hitting the century. Having no mobile signal I decided to try and make it to Craven Arms and call for help from there. This was a pretty slow and ponderous ride but eventually I got there and my brother was able to come out and pick me up. Thanks Doug!:thumbsup:

Not the way I wanted to finish the ride but I've managed to clock up 75.2 miles at 13mph average, so not a complete disaster and the metric century for the month is sorted. I think a few days off the bike would be an idea and the imperial century will have to wait.

DSC0002206.jpg

Setting out into lovely conditions.

DSC0002210.jpg

Arch over the road at Ebury Hill

DSC0002211.jpg

Blossom at Astley.

DSC0002212.jpg

Hadnall and the Salopian Brewery's new premises

DSC0002217.jpg

Stop for elevenses at Brockton. When out riding I tend to eat Hobbit style:laugh: (Frequently that is).

DSC0002218.jpg

Great scenery on the way to Montgomery.

DSC0002224.jpg

The centre of Montgomery.

DSC0002225.jpg

Bishop's Castle and the point where I should have ended the ride.

DSC0002226.jpg

Not a great photo due to a change in conditions, but; the famous Arbour Tree in Aston on Clun

DSC0002228.jpg
Ride abandoned, rescue called for. Time to grab a hot chocolate and a flapjack from the Discovery Centre in Craven Arms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom