Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Steady zone 2 commute this morning,again with no incidents or hiccups.

https://www.strava.com/activities/439533036

Stopped to take some pics before the a14 flyover going in to Fen Ditton and two bods(one on a bike another in a car)stopped to see if I was ok so thanks if you happen to be on here:thumbsup:.

So just some rubbish pics to finish although they do show up the new rear light arrangement nicely^_^:becool:;

IMG_20151126_070123288.jpg
IMG_20151126_070017836.jpg
IMG_20151126_070049422.jpg

For those who are interested the main light is this;

http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.com/exposure-lights/cycle-lights-2016/tracer

And the other two is this;

https://www.alpkit.com/products/tau

When funds allow will get two of the tau fronts and look at getting an Exposure Strada.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Weather forecast all week was saying today would be cloudy, but warm (for the time of year) little wind and no rain, ideal to use up one of the few days of leave I need to take before Christmas.

Alarm goes off at 4:30, out on the road by 05:15. First couple of hours saw hardly any traffic, at times I was going miles before seeing any sign of life, was pretty spooky, felt like I had the whole world to myself.

As it started to get light saw my first owl in quite a while, then a couple of miles later saw another one.

After about 60 miles it started raining, was not a happy bunny, was that light drizzle that just goes right through everything, luckily I had my sealskinz on so my feet stayed dry, but I had crappy gloves on that got wet through straight away. The BBC did get the bit about the temperature right though, so even though I was wet, I was still warm.

As I got towards the end of my ride I decided to pop into Sainsburys to pick up some bits - cake and sweets! and then I also popped into the chippy - for chips!

When I got home I realised I'd left my drinks bottle in the chippy - luckily it is just around the corner, so went back and got it. lady said I went off to quick and they couldn't catch me!

Excluding the return to the chippy did a tad over 102 miles. So the November imperial century was finally done, hopefully I won't leave December so late.

This ride saw me break last years mileage and was my 21st imperial century - so I've also smashed last years record of 14.

Needs a few cups of tea now

https://www.strava.com/activities/439631596

Weather forecast all week was saying today would be cloudy, but warm (for the time of year) little wind and no rain, ideal to use up one of the few days of leave I need to take before Christmas.

Alarm goes off at 4:30, out on the road by 05:15. First couple of hours saw hardly any traffic, at times I was going miles before seeing any sign of life, was pretty spooky, felt like I had the whole world to myself.

As it started to get light saw my first owl in quite a while, then a couple of miles later saw another one.

After about 60 miles it started raining, was not a happy bunny, was that light drizzle that just goes right through everything, luckily I had my sealskinz on so my feet stayed dry, but I had crappy gloves on that got wet through straight away. The BBC did get the bit about the temperature right though, so even though I was wet, I was still warm.

As I got towards the end of my ride I decided to pop into Sainsburys to pick up some bits - cake and sweets! and then I also popped into the chippy - for chips!

When I got home I realised I'd left my drinks bottle in the chippy - luckily it is just around the corner, so went back and got it. lady said I went off to quick and they couldn't catch me!

Excluding the return to the chippy did a tad over 102 miles. So the November imperial century was finally done, hopefully I won't leave December so late.

This ride saw me break last years mileage and was my 21st imperial century - so I've also smashed last years record of 14.

Needs a few cups of tea now

https://www.strava.com/activities/439631596
Good ride @Supersuperleeds
Make my effort - two imperial centuries look feeble, though it is more than last year's 1

Old jon

Guru
A proper round trip today, a bit of map gazing before leaving worked well. On the wall behind me as I type this is an Ordnance Survey 1.25 inch to the mile sheet centred on my postcode, a wonderful bit of kit, a 25 mile square of the West Riding on an A0 sheet, in a frame, on the wall. Anyway, 32.3 miles from the middle of the map, around my bit of Holbeck warm up maze and out to John O' Gaunt's. Roadworks by Thwaite Gate delayed me ( and a lot of others of course ) so much that in the first hour of riding I only covered 8 miles. Not usually that slow. Anyway, through Woodlesford, Swillington, Garforth and up its cliff ( puff, pant ), Micklefield, Lotherton Hall, Aberford, Barwick, Scholes and home. Not too dissimilar to previous rides in that area, but there are not a lot of alternate roads about.

Having not done a ride on Weds, did a slightly longer ride.

I wanted to do an endurance ride - zone 2 approx apart from hills, although going higher on hills.
Not sure I exactly kept to that, especially as the first 15 miles were rather rolling.

My route was through Ascot, skirting to the south around Bracknell (I used to work there 1992-2005, to be avoided)

I skirted Crowthorne too , reaching Finchampstead and nearly missing my turn.
At this point turned north through Barkham and Sindleshaw toward Twyford. There turned east through Waltham St Lawrence and through Windsor home again,

Weather was variable. There was a little wind but not too much, but variable amounts of drizzle and light rain. it eased and was not a problem

A nice ride mostly avoiding towns, though one or two busier roads.

48.33 miles @ 16.3 mph with 1572 feet climbed
Please with that speed as it was not a hard ride, though maybe worked a bit too hard for it to be an endurance ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/440199205

On Strava I was in zone 2 or 1 68% of time so not so bad as I thought

Last edited:
I really enjoyed my ride on the way home from work tonight.Nice mild calm weather with the added bonus of cycling past a nice long traffic jam heading towards Kingston.
That always makes me smile, Passing the traffic towards Kingston, then it's even sweeter, if you crack on towards Putney, and the traffic is nose to tail.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Well I finally got out on my first Manchester ride. @ColinJ very kindly offered to show me a few sights in his neck of the woods, so met up in Todmorden.

xbR6QBhl.jpg

Forecast was a bit grim for later in the day so we set off heading through Hebden Bridge (which I've heard of...somehow) and Mytholmroyd before hitting the first climb. Near the top the wind got a little outrageous, so we diverted off the main road just after Cragg Vale. The view was fantastic.

sGBKnj4l.jpg

BwKMzegl.jpg

oPIk5c5l.jpg

GIQu8XXl.jpg

Hilly climbs was followed by step descents, and on new roads I was taking the downs almost as slowly as I was climbing!

Another climb up Luddenden Foot, avoiding a rather irate driver (irate for goodness knows what reason other than we hadn't thrown ourselves and our bikes into the nearest ditch for him) for another photo op

gsfnveul.jpg

Then thru Midgley for another climb, at this point the weather started turning from reasonable sunshine to light rain. In the distance, dark clouds were a loomin'.

77UtkKwl.jpg

Photo of a photo being taken of a photo being taken...

M8sO9Evl.jpg

A few more skittish descents, this time in light rain, and back through Hebden Bridge (still hadn't figured out how I knew this place) where @ColinJ went full evil and looped us back to a monstrous hill that I shall call "Mount Sonofabitch" (although its technical name is Heptonstall Road). The rain lashed down as I huffed and puffed my way up the 1 mile, 10% average gradient, having to stop 3 times for a quick breather while Colin effortlessly span his way ahead of me.

Then the rain got heavier, and for the last 100 yards I was treated to cobbles! And mad bus drivers doing Colin McRae impressions!

Almost at the top I was greeted with the beautiful oasis that was a cafe.

pAQlsgGl.jpg

A cold shivering Nomad sat eating his chip butty and drank his tea, but in truth it didn't concern me too much as Colin was great company, even though it was clear from the last climb that he was secretly trying to kill me.

I also had a theory that I maybe read about Hebden Bridge due to some war, perhaps the war of the roses?

(^^ I've looked, it has no history with wars, floral or otherwise).

After the pitstop, and being reassured it was all downhill from here, we carried on up the rest of the climb (there was some left apparently) and then had to stop as Colin was suffering from a slack bottom.

hh9QfZZl.jpg

Then followed quite a few sketchy descents, and some unannounced climbs before a final photo op of some more stunning scenery.

F9IJxpwl.jpg

Finally making our way back down to Todmorden where we parted ways and I spent 20 minutes loading the car back up for the ride home.

Despite not having ridden too much recently, having the backend of my manflu, and clearly being out of my depth with these hills, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and must give massive thanks to @ColinJ for all the local tales he passed on, being great company, and being very, VERY patient!

I also found out it was the second biggest ascent in a single ride, after Velothon Wales - and that was only 150 metres more over an extra 60 miles!

I still don't know where I know Hebden Bridge from.

https://www.strava.com/activities/440284946

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A few more skittish descents, this time in light rain, and back through Hebden Bridge (still hadn't figured out how I knew this place) where @ColinJ went full evil and looped us back to a monstrous hill that I shall call "Mount Sonofabitch" (although its technical name is Heptonstall Road). The rain lashed down as I huffed and puffed my way up the 1 mile, 10% average gradient, having to stop 3 times for a quick breather while Colin effortlessly span his way ahead of me.

Then the rain got heavier, and for the last 100 yards I was treated to cobbles! And mad bus drivers doing Colin McRae impressions!

Almost at the top I was greeted with the beautiful oasis that was a cafe.

pAQlsgGl.jpg

A cold shivering Nomad sat eating his chip butty and drank his tea, but in truth it didn't concern me too much as Colin was great company, even though it was clear from the last climb that he was secretly trying to kill me.
Muhaha! :okay:

Thanks for the company @Nomadski - without you I might not have bothered riding today with that forecast of wind and rain, In fact, we didn't get the rain until the end of the ride so it didn't spoil it. It was nice to meet you and I hope you come along on other rides in the years to come now you are in NW England.

I am impressed by how well your phone takes pictures in variable light conditions. The pictures I took weren't up to much because I was getting buffeted by the wind while taking them and they were all blurred. You seem to have got the locations right which must be a combination of a GPS tracklog and geotagging the pictures, because I am sure you would not be able to remember every twist and turn of our route!

The reason we were getting chilled outside the cafe was because neither of us had a lock with us and we did not want to leave our bikes unguarded. They would probably have been safe, but how convenient would it have been for a bike thief to jump on a bike and just freewheel down a mile of road at 10% - no way for us to catch him/her other than to hop on the other bike and set off in pursuit!

The Slack Bottom comment was a joke! The unobservant among you may not have noticed the sign behind me ... :whistle:

Damon - I suggested that your iffy brakes might be due to greasy wheel rims ... I hosed my bike down when I got home and my rims were filthy! Baby wipes might be a good thing to clean the rims with. In fact, I'll go and try that on my bike now and will report back shortly ...

YIKES! :eek: This picture is how many baby wipes it took to get the rims clean even after hosing the wheels down ...

Baby wipes after cleaning dirty wheel rims.jpg

Yes - I think that cleaning your wheel rims WOULD improve your braking!

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another day off today and the first ride in a week, thanks to work...:dry:

The forecast was dry, but grey and overcast to start with but promised rain of biblical proportions from mid-morning onwards, so I roughly planned to be out for no more than a couple of hours.
Literally half a mile from home and going through traffic calming chicanes I had the pleasure of a private hire driver getting uneccisarily close and revving his engine such was his determination to get past despite there being no room for him. He then forced his way through with a too close pass and sped off. I caught up with him a few hundred yards on where he was all over the road trying to find his fare...
Out towards Thorner but I was only on Coal Road when the chain came off (again, changing up the the big ring at the front). Stopped, put back on, checked, all seemed OK, so on my way.:scratch:
Down the hill to Thorner, up Milner Lane and then took the road towards Collingham (Bramham Lane, which becomes Jewitt Lane). regular readers might recall me saying I was going to avoid this route due to the mud on the road - well I decided to ignore my own advice and there was even more mud on the road than usual.
Honestly it was ridiculous and I will definitely be avoiding it now until the spring...
From Collingham to Linton, then Wetherby and the bridge over the A1 towards Walton, where the chain came off again...:dry:
Again, no apparent problem and easily popped back on, but it was vexing me by this point.
Took the turning down to Thorp Arch where I enjoyed a buffeting headwind for much of the run down to the village, then over the river and up into Boston Spa where I had another close pass where there clearly wasn't room due to parked cars. The chain was getting a bit noisy at this point, presumably due to the amount of mud and other rubbish thrown up and my persistence with dry lube - I clearly need to switch to wet now.
The quick route to Clifford, then down to Bramham and the Col de Town Hill, before looping back towards Thorner (the headwind was back and making itself a nuisance), then the long climb out of the village, along Skeltons Lane (a very unexpected PB here, I found out later) and round to home.

25.07 miles in 1hr 47m at an average of 14.0 mph with 964ft climbed, which isn't bad considering the headwind and number of hills on the return leg. All good fun too, and great to be back out on the bike. I just need to get 9 miles in before Tuesday to give me 200 miles for the month.:okay:
27112015.jpg

Cleaned the bike as it was beyond filthy and after giving the front mech another once over, took the bike to the shop for them to have a look at.
They phoned just before 5 to say it's ready, but the lad who called wasn't sure what they'd done. Mind you with a charge of £6 to pay when I collect it tomorrow it can't be so much! :laugh:

PS - the forecast mid-morning rain actually arrived at about 4pm...:rain:

Top Bottom