Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
An extra day off work before my holidays end so target was to get a banker 50 km ride in for Aug . Set off on my favourite route out to St Bernards Abbey . Up though Newtown Linford up Sharply hill and out to Beacon crossroads and left then right onto Charley Rd to Oaks in Charnwood and up the climb to the Abbey then the lovely descent of Swanimote rd and a nice flat run into Belton then up the single track lane that's is ncr6 to Shepshed and back onto Charley Rd and back to Beacon crossroads up the beacon the easy way and then the really fast descent onto Woodhouse after 2 weeks of slow descending in Cornwall on narrow twisty lanes is was great just to let the bike go on a nice straight descent .Woodhouse to Quorn and then followed my commuting route home Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and Home 32.3 miles in the bag so target met

Again two rides;

First some ride in that London:whistle:;

Was in the club team with Tony,Dave and John and if you saw four oldish blokes(sometimes one sometimes two as we did get split up over the climbs) in yellow,black and red Ely and District CC jerseys then that was us.

Was in the blue pin with a 27000 numbers for a 7:15 start so we left the hotel in Canary Wharf at around 5:15 to give plenty of time for a gentle run up to the Olympic park and got there just as the pens were opening so a bit of a chilly wait at the start.

Once off it was a steady roll out before getting in to a nice rhythm before the unfortunate accident were we ground to a halt;after the long wait off we went again and kept it steady and to the slowest riders pace until we got to the hills.

This is where we got split up with one member needing a 'comfort break' he said he'd catch us up we lost another between just before Newlands summit,we stopped there for a while but they didn't arrive and we tried to contact the others but couldn't seem to get through so we carried on until the descent of Leith hill were they said they were on Box Hill! They must have gone past while we were looping around the hub at Newlands:rolleyes:.So off we went and got to the top off Box Hill(not that difficult but an enjoyable climb whereas Leith seemed like a grind)but no sign but at the NT area but found them at the drink station just a bit later^_^.

Off we went again to he'd back in to that London again with a solid pace and the final spike at Wimbledon;got stopped again before the finish(presumably to stagger the finishers before the last push along the Mall all four in a line.

Really enjoyed it and want to do it again solo to see what I could do at my own rather than group pace;

https://www.strava.com/activities/660509850/segments/16176525403

As Strava was screwed up yesterday it seems to think I've ridden it before(think it multiple loaded);it also screwed up the ride back to the hotel so may delete and re-load that to see if it's better.

Today was a recovery ride to the Welney reserve with the better half although it was a harder one than I expected as she was cracking on a bit at times;still nice z1 ride to move the legs after yesterday though;

https://www.strava.com/activities/660779864

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A couple of spare hours on a day off (well, it is Yorkshire Day after all)? Must be time for a ride!

After yesterdays 20-odd miler I decided to see how far I could push it in the time available despite the threat of rain, so out and up to Scholes, passing a car being recovered from out of the field just past the Coronation Tree and on to Barwick, then the descent to Cock Beck and the climb up Cattle Lane and on to Aberford.
All good so far, so turned right and headed for Lotherton Hall, up that pesky hill (Lotherton Lane) then Copley lane and up to Saxton. No stopping here, straight through the village and up the hill joining the B1217 up past the battlefield site and into Towton and the A162.
Straight on through the showers and down the hill, taking the left into Stutton (Mill Lane - noticing the warning sign stating it will be closed for two days from 18/08) and back over Cock Beck. Then the climb through the village and up over the A64 and along Garnet Lane and eventually onto Toulston Lane into Bramham.
Past the poorly parked Polo and up the Windmill and down the other side, hitting a not too shabby 41.5mph, before entering Clifford. An extended loop round the village, almost making Boston Spa, before circling back and down the hill to Bramham and the climb up to the A1(M) bridge and Thorner Road.
The long way round to Thorner via Thorner Lane and Milner Lane, then Carr Lane out to Wetherby Road, finally setting a new PB.
A quick dash along the A58 and then up Coal Road and local roads towards home. On turning into our street I noticed I only needed two and a bit miles for a metric half century, so pressed on and added another long loop around Cross Gates and back to home.

31.56 miles (50.79km) in 2h 13m at an average of 14.1mph with 1,719ft climbed. Really pleased with that, getting back up to speed now and enjoying the ride as well, despite the showery weather. After the last week it was good to get a 50km ride in.

Sorry no pics, as it was a bit damp and I didn't stop anywhere, but here is the map:
01082016.JPG

Quite a few cyclists out despite it being a working day, and almost zero nobber drivers, so whats not to love? :okay:

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
Well there was me feeling pretty pleased with myself for beating July of last year and doing 202.5 miles for the month. Then you get home and see all these people doing half of my monthly total in a DAY! For god sake! Oh well everyone has their personal targets and that was mine, perhaps one day I might do ride London.

Well todays ride as described well by @Donger was a good one. Plus better described lol as Im not so versed in the local sights. Don`t get me wrong I knew where I was ( being a delivery driver around these parts for over 30 years helps) having lived in South Glos and Bristol all my life and now Gloucestershire.
I couldn`t name the monument that he points out or some of the rises, but none of this detracts from the sights and views that we have on the edge of the Cotswolds.

At the start of the ride I counted 17 riders which is a pretty good tunout for the KCC in the summer as before the numbers have been as low as 4 in holiday season.

Well we split into 2 groups of FAST and the Inters and Chilled as the second group. (Always a recipe for disaster) The first group took off and as far as I`m aware they headed off towards Malvern. We on the other hand were heading south towards Slimbridge and Berkeley.

It was nice to see Duncan out on of the founder members of the club on only his second ride out after taking about a year out, plus Chris W would has been out with knee problems. I thought with that in mind it would be a relaxed pace instead of "mother duck and her ducklings" stretched out behind her trying to keep up as @Donger put it lol.

Unfortunatley @Donger was right, but neither me or him were going to push ourselfs on what is suposed to be a social ride and NOT a training ride. As I said before there is too much to see instead of just looking at the concrete because we are travelling too fast.

For god sake Ive done it again and deleted some arggghhh

Right try again.!

We headed towards the Elmore Loop but soon turned south towards Saul. It long this road that @Donger and I cant resist but to look right of the wall and see the majasty of the River Severn. A couples of years ago @Donger and I and Berney watched the Severn Bore from that spot watching people canoe and surf on the Bore, just a great sight to see and to be honest something to be put on anyones BUCKET LIST.

When we got to Saul junction we were held up by what seemed to be a flatila of narrow boats (which caused a bridge swing) one after the other holding up the road traffic. For some reason @gordyfinbar was the wrong side of the barrier? But we will not go into that. then it was through Frampton and on to the A38 where Iain made a bid for home as with a 2 week old boy who can blame him for wanting to get back.

As per usual whenever there is a head wind I try to get behind @Donger as he is a bit bigger than me and makes a nice wind shield lol. Dont worry he knows what I`m up to. He`s about 6` 5" and Im only 5` 4" lol.

Back to the ride, so it was down the A38 to Slimbridge and then through the lanes to Berkeley. It was whilst in the lanes that @Frazzle passed us . He was at the back of the Stroud Valley Vellos pellaton.
I waved and said hi as they all passed.

After going through Berkeley and Hil looking at the sights as I went (at one point Dave K and Duncan held back thinking I was struggling) as Ive only ever driven down thiis rode and never cycled. Its amazing how much you noticed that you havent seen before as you go passed in a blur in a motorised vehicle. Eventually we got back to the A38 where again 3 people made a dash for home. Which included Duncan and Chris W who was on his first ride back after having knee surgery and problems there after.

What was left of the group turned right and headed to Falfied and J14 of the M5. We went across the junction obviously! heading towards Charfield and a nasty hill leading up to Tortworth. It was here that the coffee stop was made. But somehow @gordyfinbar and Big Jim went straight the next hill and had to turn round to find everyone sat down having a drink lol.

I think fro here it was when @Donger told the rest of the group not to worry about us and we would make our way back at our own pace.

After reading @Donger s post I`m not going to describe the ride back . But just to say any ride with him is always enjoyable and Im thinking next year to try and get myself organised and do some audaxeswith him.

Well the ride for me was 43.8 miles and it was eye opening in several respects.
Next week will be my first ride with Stroud Valley Vellos and with @Frazzle inviting me I`m really looking foward to it. There is no @Donger next week as hes doing a audax.

My next ride will be Wednesday with Eastgate with @Frazzle as usual and with my new helmet (which I will pick up tomorrow).

Attachments

• Giro_H_Atmos-II_BrightRedBlack_34.jpg
    Giro_H_Atmos-II_BrightRedBlack_34.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 56

Brandane

Legendary Member
Arran today. (Strava). I am proud to be Scottish all the time, but when I see Arran on a nice day like today, I am especially so. The sights, the sounds, the smells, and just the wild undeveloped nature of the place. Long may it remain like that. I caught the 9.45 ferry for the 1 hour crossing, so was on the road for about 11.00. The clockwise route, which I prefer, starts with a climb as soon as you leave the ferry port. It's only about 4 miles to Lamlash:

WP_20160801_11_13_01_Pro_zpsnlj5snxx.jpg

WP_20160801_11_12_34_Pro_zpsjcrc2eph.jpg

The southern half of Arran is very much a roller coaster of climbs and descents, which is one reason why I prefer to get it done on fresh legs. Things level out a bit on the west coast, and today I had some assistance from a southerly breeze. The half way point is Blackwaterfoot, where I stopped for a breather and something to eat:

WP_20160801_13_04_00_Pro_zpsu6e87bfl.jpg

The ride from Blackwaterfoot to Lochranza up the west coast is also flattish, but then comes a long climb over to the east side of the island. It's not too steep but it is quite long. From Sannox back to Brodick is a straightforward flat ride down the east coast. I was in Brodick in good time for the ferry at 4.20.. Total mileage on the island, 56.
Goodbye Arran; but I hope to return soon. The ferry port at Ardrossan is only 12 miles from home, so I don't know why I don't go more often...

WP_20160801_17_14_32_Pro_zpsa9ykogae.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'd headed out yesterday with the intention of getting my metric 50 in nice and early, but after only 5 miles I had to bail as the legs weren't playing ball. A day laid up and on the meds left me feeling tired this morning, but I wanted to get out to see how the legs felt. No rain forecast, so shorts and short sleeved jersey, and I pedalled of into Thorpe nice and steady. I think I ended up doing 3 'laps' around the village, just to get my mind straight and in a happy place that the legs were good. With no particular ride in mind, I headed up to Windsor Great Park at a steady 14mph average. Across the park and heading out towards Cheapside via Dukes Lane, legs feeling good, that's when the rain started. And I got rather wet, but skins waterproff, so onwards up Watersplash Lane and New Mile Road where I took a rare pause for a pic.
2 Aug 2016 Ascot Racecourse.jpg

That would be Ascot Racecourse in the distance. Going to watch the Red Bull Air Race here on 14th, hopefully it's a bit drier...
Picked up one of my usual routes from Ascot only in reverse, getting lost through Sunninghill as the High Street is closed for gas works. It stopped raining when I reached Sunningdale, and started getting very humid. The last few miles through Windlesham and Lyne went quickly, and I managed a bit of time on the big ring so must have been feeling better. Last 2 miles home saw me get soaked again.
34.7 miles completed, nice to get the metric half in for the month nice and early.

Back to the A10 grind today with a nice south westerly to ride against:bicycle:.

Legs ok after Sundays ride although left knee was a bit sore but eased off once I got going.

Nice ride until Waterbeach when I got a rear puncture;sealant didn't stop it so bunged a tube in.New rear tyre too so the IRC's have gone down further in my book now:angry:;think there wasn't enough sealant in to stop the leak although it was a big slash probably from a bit of glass.

Still back on ok and then called in to the Espresso Library for a coffee :cuppa:and to use the track pump they have to top up the air.

https://www.strava.com/activities/662788946

Still 7,000kms up for the year now so back on track with the 12,000 goal:smile:.

Old jon

Guru
I was woken up at growl o’ clock by a sore ankle and by the time I was ready to pedal away it was still sore. Thirty one and a quarter miles later it is less sore. Cycling, a half cure for sore ankles.

Anyway, the wind was a bit blustery, so I pointed the bike a bit south and east, starting off through Hunslet via the Holbeck stumble. Up the hill to John O’ Gaunts and turn left for Woodlesford and left again for Swillington. All this was helped by the wind, it did feel good. Round the north side of Garforth and head off to Lotherton Gates. Turn left there and ride the lumpy little road into Aberford. Once in Aberford I turned right and continued north. Just before leaving the village I saw a red kite hovering in all his sun speckled splendour, not much higher than a house roof. Never seen one so close before, but I kept riding, on to Bramham crossroads and a sandwich stop. It is a very long time since I have ridden that stretch of the A 64 from Bramham crossroads to the Fox and Grapes and it will be a long time before I do it again. The surface is terrible, the wind was straight in my face. Yuck. I was glad to turn onto Potterton Lane.

Followed that into Barwick, turned right and over the crest to Scholes and back on the A 64 to Thorner Lane, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes followed and a quick whoop and a whizz down Boot Hill and ride past Oakwood Clock, to arrive home just as the showers started. I like that.

I do get to draw some odd shapes on maps,

03082016.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
4 today. Julian H., Peter T., Mrs 26 and me. it would be a bit of a change today for most. Shipley Gardens is a stop we haven't visited for some while. The plan was to take the climb to Acton Green and on over to Burley Gate. There was a bit of a wind blowing and Mrs 26 hid behind me. Around by Westhide we had some shelter and as we began the run south the hedges were very helpful. Just a bit more headwind as we crossed the Wye and climbed to Shipley Gardens. It's a wonderful spot run by an elderly couple. We sat in the homebuilt conservatory where the swimming pool has been converted to a wildlife pond and the peacocks try to help themselves to cake.

We headed south along the Wye to cross at Hoarwithy. Mrs 26 wanted to potter on at her own pace so we three took to the lane for Brockhampton and the thatched church. We took a look around before taking to the little used lane under the ridge of the Marcles for Woolhope. Then we headed for Canwood and the lovely climb to the ridge at Woolhope Cockshoot. Then we took the less technical descent with a variation on the usual way to Putley Green. Should we pause for refreshments at Trumpet? That idea went down well so we did.

Familiar ground meant a fairly standard run by Munsley and Coddington. At Cradley Jules headed off home while Peter and I rounded back by Longley Green. Peter peeled off in Leigh Sinton where he lives while I was soon home for more refreshments. It had taken a bit longer than I'd expected on this ride but all declared it to have been a good one. Peter had been in unknown territory for most of the ride. I aim to please :smile: 75 scenic miles today :thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Time for a big ride but not the one I'd hoped to do yet again. The forecast was for it to be dry but quite windy today so my original plan went out of the window quite quick as I'd have had a very long stint into a strong headwind at the start, then the back up plan was abandoned too after last nights update of the forecast showed gusts into the mid 30s were expected.:sad: So much for getting an Imperial Century in while I'm off work.

Plan C was to do a metric century and the obvious way was to head south then have the wind helping me home. I didn't want to go to Ludlow again having done that several times recently so opted to head for Craven Arms and follow NCN route 44 towards Bishop's Castle and Montgomery before heading north again.

The moment I set off I could feel a few spots of drizzle but it's supposed to be dry today so I knew it wouldn't last. The wind wasn't too bad and didn't seem to be slowing me down much at the start but I could feel the benefit on the climb up to Cantlop.

After passing through Acton Burnell I could see there were dark clouds over the Long Mynd and there were curtains of rain ahead of and behind me. I only got a couple more miles before running into it and needing to break out the waterproofs. So much for the forecast.:rolleyes:

Although it wasn't particularly warm out, I was quite hot in my rain gear so was very glad when the shower blew through just before the climb up Folly Bank. Here I spotted a rider ahead and put a bit of effort in but they got away from me with ease.

Dropping down the other side of the hill into Cardington the next shower rolled in and the waterproofs had to come out again untilI got to Wall. After this it drizzled on and off while I climbed over Wenlock Edge and onto new roads to me as far as Craven Arms. As I was making slow progress anyway I thought I might as well make a sightseeing diversion so braved the A49 for a short way to see Stokesay Castle. They must have known I was coming as there was scaffolding up.:rolleyes:

Moving on I retraced my steps back into Craven Arms and in the absence of signage followed the route for NCN44 from my map. Hmmmm, not sure this is right. Looks like a footpath to me. I ended up where I needed to be though and headed onwards and upwards. I think the route planner must be a fan of hills as the signed roads take you the hilliest possible way to Bishop's Castle. The weather kindly gave me another drenching on this bit so that I wouldn't get too overheated. How thoughtful.:whistle:

There were even more hills to follow then I dropped down into the valley on my way to Montgomery where i was due to turn northwards. The wind was really picking up now but fortunately was behind me and helping. I covered the 12 miles to Westbury in a little over 35 minutes.:hyper: then was a little slower thereafter but still fairly brisk. The metric century was in the bag without needing to add any extra distance at the end but I decided to do that anyway.;)

70.9 miles for the day at 12.9 mph moving average. That flatters me quite a bit with the first two thirds of the ride being so hilly, wet and windy.

DSC0003691.jpg

Near Leebotwood. It's raining on me while the Long Mynd is bathed in sunshine.

DSC0003693.jpg

A pause in harvesting on the approach to the climb over Wenlock Edge.

DSC0003697.jpg

DSC0003699.jpg

A couple of shots of Stokesay Castle.

DSC0003700.jpg

Trying to get away from Craven Arms but the level crossing has other ideas.

DSC0003704.jpg

Near the summit of Oakeley Mynd. Getting wet again.

DSC0003709.jpg

The Dragon in Montgomery. Some other cyclists have the right idea.;)

DSC0003710.jpg

A pause for a drink at Edge near Pontesbury as yet another shower rolls up the valley.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Cool - you've got a souvenir of the Melton to Bawdsey road on your helmet ^_^

Anyhow, today was an unplanned 50 miler. As it was quite breezy here I'd only planned to be out for a couple of hours in the afternoon, but I seemed to have borrowed somebody else's legs so kept gong out on one of my favourite routes to Coddenham before heading back into Ipswich and then adding extra diversions on the the rest of the return ride when I realised I could get the 50 miles in - and possibly a metric 100 with an extra loop into and around Felixstowe.

Unfortunately the 100k went out the window when I got a wasp sting in my right leg followed a mile later by a spoke in the rear wheel snapping as a was accelerating up a small slope having given was to an oncoming car. I didn't realise how loud snapping spokes were and for the last part of the ride it sounded like I was riding a cricket with the chirping noise of the tyre on the frame every revolution.

https://www.strava.com/activities/663229486

Katherine

Guru
Oops, I over did it today. Exercise induced nausea. Starting to feel slightly better now.

I rode around the far West Cornish coast again but decided to add an inland loop as well because 45 miles didn't seem enough when there's only 5 and half weeks to go before I do the Manchester 100, forgetting that the hills actually count as more miles.

3454 feet elevation and 56.2 miles total!!

I also had a stupid chain jam when I tried to change down to the bottom ring putting too much strain on it as I came round a corner from Zennor, to a hill that was steeper than I was ready for. I was so cross with myself because I usually turn back down a hill when trying to change down on very steep hills when I've found myself in too high a gear. I had to freewheel back down to the cafe by which time it was raining, but I couldn't free it and there was no signal to ask anyone for advice, so I decided to turn the bike upside down and have another go. Success. Feeling wet and fed up, I went inside for a coffee and cake that I didn't need. ( Having already enjoyed a lovely cafe stop neat Sennen Cove) ( has anyone else ever tried to dry their shorts under the hand dryer whilst still wearing them? Luckily no one came in to see me practicing touching my toes LOL!!) Then further along the coast towards St Ives I stopped for an ice cream that I didn't need either. So too much cycling and too much cake and ice cream equals feeling sick. Meh.

Apart from those two rookie mistakes and apart from getting wet lots of times as the winds brought showers and sunshine alternating through the day, I did mostly have a good day!
The ancient rocky scenery along both coasts as well as the inland hedgerows of wild flowers including lilacs, old roses, and honeysuckle, mossy stone walls, pretty villages and cottages, fields and farms..... made it all worth it. This has been the first holiday when I've cycled around here and I've seen so much more than I've seen from walking, driving and the open top bus rides.
I had been considering a sneaky early morning ride before I return the bike at 9. Not surprisingly, I've changed my mind. So that's it until next year!

Top Bottom