Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
With a couple of hours to kill (once the unforecast rain had stopped) it was out again on the new bike.
Thing is, where to go...I went east yesterday and didn't fancy going over the same roads again so soon, anything around Bramham Park was out due to the quagmire on the roads, and Otley was probably a bit far in the time I had.
I found myself heading up Coal Rd, then Red Hall lane, the A58 and onto Whin Moor Lane towards Shadwell. This is an unexpectedly rural route and I've often thought that I should stop for a photo so today I did:
IMG_20160904_095610067.jpg

You wouldn't think you were only 4 miles as the crow flies from the beating financial heart of the capital of the north would you?
Back on my way and into Shadwell, at the last minute deciding to turn left and head up to Slaid Hill.
Right at the lights and straight on down the hill on Wike Ridge Lane.
It's a funny route this, despite being right in the middle of my sphere of cycling I very rarely ride it - no immediate reason why came to mind as it's a nice route, fairly well surfaced (as long as you keep an eye out for the grates in the middle of the carriageway...), with nice scenery and not too much traffic. Anyway, I was riding it today and enjoying it as it rose and fell through the countryside along the ridge, with the big descent into East Keswick as the eventual reward. As every cyclist knows, what goes down must come up and the Cat 5 climb back out of East Keswick certainly rammed that point home, although setting a new PB (taking 35 seconds off my previous time :okay: ) made it all worthwhile.
A final descent down to the A659 rounded off a rarely ridden route with a grin.
The ride along the A659 reminded me why I don't ride this route too often...even at 10am on a Sunday morning it was a busy narrow rat run, poorly surfaced and not enjoyable at all and I was glad to get down the hill into Collingham and pull into a layby for a drink.
The short section next on the A58 wasn't much better, so I abandoned plans to loop around via Wetherby and up to Wattle Syke roundabout and decided to tackle the climb up Jewitt Lane instead. The sooner Linton bridge re-opens, allowing access to Wetherby from the other direction the better.
Another Cat 5 climb, the ascent up Jewitt Lane is officially only 0.8 of a mile but it feels like longer, so I was chuffed to see another PB when I downloaded my ride (31 secs faster) showing the benefits of the new bike.
Right onto Compton Lane and the run along the ridge, with views down over the valley and for miles across into Wharfedale and beyond
IMG_20160904_104046432.jpg

From there it's a good run down towards Rigton Green, but just before getting there I hooked back onto Bramham Lane for a run up to Thorner Lane on the single track road, which was deserted again.
Right at the end onto Holme Farm Lane and the run up to the junction, where I headed left along the ridge on Milner Lane towards Thorner.
Down the hill and the short climb into Thorner, before the usual ride along Main Street and the long climb up Sandhills / Van Zyl Hill to Skeltons Lane, then Coal Rd and onto local roads for the run down to home, with a final loop around the block to push the mileage on.

20.20 miles (32.5km) in 1h 26m at an average of 14.0 mph, with 1,112ft climbed. I'll take that given the amount of climbing I added in today, along with the damp roads meaning that I wasn't giving it the full beans on the descents. Quite a few cyclists out this morning, even allowing for the choice of route.

04092016.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Today was the CycleChat Market Bosworth ride, so firstly a big thank you to @13 rider for:

1) Organising it, 2) Avoiding gravel 3) Knowing his right from his left.

Was my second forum ride and the following rode (in no particular order) @13 rider @tallliman @guitarpete247 @cyberknight @Lilliburlero @broady and someone's mate who I apologise now, I can't remember his name or who brought him. (I am a complete muppet when it comes to peoples names)

Meeting time was 9:30 in market Bosworth, so I set off nice and early to get some miles in before the start so I could hopefully get September's imperial century done today. I set of at 6:20 and it was a bit breezy but I made good time and got to Market Bosworth about 9:20 with 48 miles done and 6 people were already waiting (I think).

Everyone turned up promptly (8 of us in total) and we set off to do I think about 25 miles to the cafe stop. @13 rider had warned us there was one hill on the route, when we got there I hit it a bit hard and was bloody knackered at the top, but don't think the others noticed :laugh:

Fantastic cafe stop, lovely latte and bacon roll for me before we headed back to Market Bosworth. Shortly after the cafe stop @guitarpete247 turned off to head home and not long after that so did @cyberknight @Lilliburlero and I've narrowed it down, their mate (pretty sure he was a mate of @Lilliburlero :whistle:) That left four of us for the last few miles to Market Bosworth.

For those last few miles we started overtaking loads of cyclists who were all numbered up and looked like they had been bathing in a muddy field. We slowed and started talking to them, there was 199 of them in total doing 220 miles in one day from Manchester to London for a Alzheimers charity and the weather was pretty bad for them when they come through the Peak District. Much kudos to them all.

When we got back to Market Bosworth, @broady headed home and myself @13 rider and @tallliman headed towards Anstey were @13 rider peeled off, a couple of miles later myself and @tallliman went our separate ways and I did a further 10 miles home through Abbey Park and up The GCW.

Fractionally over 111 miles for the ride, cracking company, cracking roads, cracking cafe stop and we saw some of the bikes from the vintage rally, look at that brake!

View attachment 142549

This is @tallliman admiring the same bike:
View attachment 142551

and @13 rider admiring some more vintage bikes:

View attachment 142552

https://www.strava.com/activities/700230732

I'd forgotten about this, I rode through Market Bosworth on my way back dinner time., glad everybody had a good ride, which cafe did you use?

13 rider

Guru
Today was the Leicester /South Derbyshire meet up ride . Out at 0830 heading the 14 miles to start point at Market Bosworth . Being the good organiser I am I was first to arrive . Everyone soon arrived in good time so a quick chat as introductions were made as most of us had not met before.
IMG_20160904_093137406.jpg

Left to right @broady , @cyberknight , @tallliman[/USER] ,@guitarpete247 ,@Supersuperleeds ,@Lilliburlero and Paul @Lilliburlero mate all ready to roll.
We set of circling Market Bosworth under my direction which was quite good for the first part . Though the villages of Cadeby ,Shenton ,Dadlington, Stoke Golding ,Atterton ,Witherley,Pinwall,Warton and Austrey .Just before Norton hill we stopped for a quick rest and decide wether to do the hill as @guitarpete247 was struggling with the pace but to his credit he took it on. So up Norton hill were I hit it hard but soon got passed by @Supersuperleeds who may have blown up as I passed him and modesty prevent me from saying who reached the top first ^_^.Off to Orton on the hill where @guitarpete247 took a littleshort cut and we went through the village and caught Pete just before the cafe. @Lilliburlero managed to finally get his bacon roll:okay: It had been overcast all day but as we sat at the café it definitely turned chillier .So refueled we set off again at the next junction @guitarpete247 turned for home .I think he found its bit hard but did really well to hang on and I hope he still enjoyed it . At the next junction the south Derby crew turned for there homes . Leaving me @Supersuperleeds ,@tallliman and @broady to complete the circle. So through Newton Burgoland ,Odestone were we started overtaking riders with race numbers on feeling great until we discovered there in the middle of a 220 mile ride :eek:. In to Cartlon where we came across the vintage rally of bikes so quick stop to admire the old bikes . Back to the start point where @broady headed a different way home so heading back to Anstey into the wind @Supersuperleeds went on the front first then I took my turn who turned into a 5 mile effort:eek:. Back home with a metric century in the bag and the other 2 headed home . Lovely ride I great company and everyone seemed to enjoy it and only one wrong direction given which for me is quite good :okay:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Newton Regis the destination, 58 miles the journey. I got up and looked at the grey sky and the wind blowing the trees horizontal and abandoned my planed ride to Rosliston and instead headed towards Newton Regis with a short ride on my mind. I used my usual ride back but in reverse on the way out, so I headed out through Ansley then turned right to go down Purley chase, through Mancetter and on to Witherley where I turned left and right to go though Pinwall then right to skirt Polesworth and onto Newton Regis. On the way back I skirted Polesworth then when I got to the crossroads instead of going straight on to home I turned left and followed the signs to Twycross then turned right onto the A444 for a couple of miles the left and right and through Congerstone to Barton In The Beans and onto Market Bosworth, I then turned towards Shenton and picked up a regular route home through Atterton, Mancetter and up Purley Chase, not as nice climbing it on the way back as flying down it on the way out. A slow hard ride but still an enjoyable morning out on the bike.

Sunday Newton Regis Meander.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Newton Regis the destination, 58 miles the journey. I got up and looked at the grey sky and the wind blowing the trees horizontal and abandoned my planed ride to Rosliston and instead headed towards Newton Regis with a short ride on my mind. I used my usual ride back but in reverse on the way out, so I headed out through Ansley then turned right to go down Purley chase, through Mancetter and on to Witherley where I turned left and right to go though Pinwall then right to skirt Polesworth and onto Newton Regis. On the way back I skirted Polesworth then when I got to the crossroads instead of going straight on to home I turned left and followed the signs to Twycross then turned right onto the A444 for a couple of miles the left and right and through Congerstone to Barton In The Beans and onto Market Bosworth, I then turned towards Shenton and picked up a regular route home through Atterton, Mancetter and up Purley Chase, not as nice climbing it on the way back as flying down it on the way out. A slow hard ride but still an enjoyable morning out on the bike.

View attachment 142583
We were on the same roads we went through Atterton ,Witherley and Pinwall then Warton ,Austrey then cafe at Twycross .

D

Deleted member 1258

We were on the same roads we went through Atterton ,Witherley and Pinwall then Warton ,Austrey then cafe at Twycross .

yes at different times, and you were probably going a bit quicker than I was. I don't know the cafe at Twycross, which one is it?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
This is the first full day of my latest stay in the French Alps, South of Annecy. The week I had been planning for all year. This was where my training trips into Wales to take on Llangynidr Mountain, The Bwllch and The Rhigos should hopefully start to pay off. What's more, this is my third trip here in the last four years. If I'm going to keep Mrs Donger sweet, it'll have to be the last trip here for a few years, so I reckoned it could be my last chance to take on the remaining local cols that are convenient to ride from Doussard. So last chance saloon, basically. Better not fail.
Started off from Doussard (pictured) the moment the sun came up:
214 Doussard.JPG
Headed off for my first "col" of the week, the Col de Tamie, which cuts the corner by letting you get directly from Faverges to Albertville (all be it up-and-over) instead of continuing to the end of the valley at Ugine and hanging a right up the next valley. First came a few miles along the amazing cycle path from Annecy (pictured, with the first direct sunlight of the day just hitting the crests):
215 Morning Sun.JPG

Got to Faverges in double quick time (after telling the missus to "smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"). Here you can see the Chateau de Faverges at the head of the valley I was to climb:
216 Chateau de Faverges.JPG

Managed the whole 10km climb without stopping (which in my logic system allows me to claim that I beat it). Actually one of the gentler climbs I have done in the Alps, and it would make an excellent introduction to anyone new to big climbs (by British standards).
218 Col de Tamie.JPG
After posing for a bit of showboating, I continued onwards, hanging a left towards the "Fort de Tamie" as soon as I realised that there was even more climbing to be done. Climbed up through the woods to the entrance to the mountain-top fort, making a total climb of just about 440 metres over 11km, averaging a comfortable 4%, although steeper in places, though never much more than 6%.
219 Fort de Tamie.JPG

I was tempted to head out over the top and down a km or two to take a look at the hairpins of the "Collet de Tamie" as featured in stage 19 of this year's Tour de France, but decided to turn back as I'd promised to be back by 10:00am. Turns out I stopped less than half a km from the most fantastic vue over Albertville, with a snow-capped Mont Blanc for a backdrop. Thankfully I got to see that when I came back later with Mrs D in the car. On the way back down I was able to take pictures of some of the views I had passed on the way up. This was the Abbaye de Tamie: (Note the road signs showing cyclists the current altitude, the average gradient over the next km and the distance to the col. These signs appear every km on all the major climbs):
220 Abbaye de Tamie.JPG

Got a nice view of Frontenex on the way down:
221 View of Frontenex.JPG

Then the familiar sight of the Chateau de Faverges .... only this time from above. I got buzzed by a speed camera and told to slow down just past this point! :blush:
222 Down into Faverges.JPG

Pulled over for a moment to get a photo in the middle of Faverges, and got a cheery "Bonjour" from these two cyclists:
223 Cyclists in Faverges.JPG

Shot off fast down the cycle path (once I had at last refound it) and took advantage of a nice following wind to speed back to Doussard at 21-22mph all the way. While I'd had the path all to myself at 07:00 in the morning, it was now full of cyclists coming the other way .... English, French, Dutch, German .... all nationalities. Annecy and its lake seem to be busier than I have ever seen them before. Maybe it's the heatwave and the fact that it is still the weekend. Made it back for breakfast at exactly 10:00 as I'd promised (Phew!):sweat:
Anyway, will be up and out early again tomorrow to take on the Col du Marais (out to Faverges again, then take a left. The Col du Marais connects up with the Col de la Croix Fry, which then leads on to the Col des Aravis and the Col de la Colombiere, some of the staple climbs of the TdF). It should take just about the same time as today's ride.
More from me later in the week. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
yes at different times, and you were probably going a bit quicker than I was. I don't know the cafe at Twycross, which one is it?
It's called sweat treats on the internet but sign above the door says Jensons ( I think ) it's on the main A444 in the place that sells posh sheds ( summer houses) it has a little board on the road otherwise you would not know it's there

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After watching the ToB on the telly I nipped out on the boys cyclocross bike.
Just exiting the village I remembered to turn my garmin on....
Onto the field tracks. They were firm. My bingo wings were wobbling about like a couple of jellies!
At one point I was pushing along a phlock of pheasants for a good while until they saw clear sky, then they were off.
Over the A1198 and past the Red House. I went a slightly different way to last time, avoiding the maggot farm.
I found my way to another bridle way and passed a couple of horses and riders. They were very pleasant, and so were the riders.
Into Longstowe, a couple of miles on road, then back on the bumpy stuff through Bourn.
From here it's a nice quiet ride along concrete farm road and track to Caldecote, then I went the off road way back to Hardwick
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Once back in Hardwick I carried on until I reached Long Road.... At the base of the hill!

Up I went and along to home. 18 miles and a bit. A nice change!

https://www.strava.com/activities/700473526

D

Deleted member 1258

It's called sweat treats on the internet but sign above the door says Jensons ( I think ) it's on the main A444 in the place that sells posh sheds ( summer houses) it has a little board on the road otherwise you would not know it's there

I'll have to have a look next time I'm out that way

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
This weekend hasn't gone quite to plan with yesterday being rather a washout and me ending up in the doghouse a little because I wanted to get my challenge ride in but was expected to help out at a car boot sale this morning.:shy:

We came to a compromise where I was allowed to get my ride in but went to help out setting up the stall first. It was an early start so I was still free to set off by 7am. I didn't spend much time in the ride planning so it was the knockabout bike which was easiest to get out at short notice and I headed for a tried and tested route via Melverley to Oswestry then across to Ellesmere and Wem.

I took a different way on new-to-me roads round Oswestry, negotiated muddy lanes on the way to and just after Ellesmere and made good time to Wem where I didn't stop (apart from grabbing a photo o two) as has become usual on this route.

It felt like I had a good tailwind from Wem through Shawbury to Roden and I was cruising at quite a good pace (about 16-18mph). The Met Office disagrees with me though and reckons it was a cross wind so maybe this bike isn't as slow as I thought on the right roads.

Because I was making good time here I decided to extend my intended metric century (already in the bag by Roden) into an imperial one. I also took the opportunity to vary the route again, heading to Walcot and along Bluebell Lane. When I got near The Wrekin there were loads of other cyclists around in groups which made me wonder if there was an event on.

At Cressage the route becomes rather more undulating so I was slower. I made a point of electing a lower gear than I usually would to save the legs for the later climbs, which worked pretty well and I had no trouble winding my way up to the highest point of the ride at Folly Bank. I let a car past at the summit which I then caught up on the descent and kept pace with them right to the bottom of the hill.:hyper: The rest of the ride was pretty straightforward with just being held up by a tractor to report.

Seen on route today: 2 buzzards with kills, 3 supercars (a McLaren, a Ferrari and a BMW Z1), 2 hitchhikers (wasps - one in helmet and 1 in collar - no stings fortunately), lots of cyclists.:okay:

101.7 miles at 13.5 mph moving average (8 hours 30 minutes with the stops). Pleased with that.

DSC0003806.jpg

At Hook-a-Gate early on in the ride. Too early for the pub yet.

DSC0003807.jpg

Less pretty but keeps a lot of people in work. The Muller dairy at Minsterley. Don't know if it's still the case but this plant used to mainly produce own brand desserts for supermarkets.

DSC0003810.jpg

A jump to later in the ride. Just a few people at The Mere in Ellesmere.

DSC0003811.jpg

A peaceful scene on the Shropshire Union Canal at Hampton Bank near Welshampton.

DSC0003812.jpg

Elevenses stop on the way to Wem. Only two cars passed me while on this road, which was quite pleasant.^_^

DSC0003813.jpg

Wem. I like the house with the very rounded bay front.

DSC0003816.jpg

Moving on again, I took a different route after Roden which brought me quite close to The Wrekin.

DSC0003820.jpg

Cardington.

DSC0003823.jpg

And to finish, a favourite spot to pause for a drink, near the summit of the Folly Bank climb.

iandg

Legendary Member
This weekend hasn't gone quite to plan with yesterday being rather a washout and me ending up in the doghouse a little because I wanted to get my challenge ride in but was expected to help out at a car boot sale this morning.:shy:

We came to a compromise where I was allowed to get my ride in but went to help out setting up the stall first. It was an early start so I was still free to set off by 7am. I didn't spend much time in the ride planning so it was the knockabout bike which was easiest to get out at short notice and I headed for a tried and tested route via Melverley to Oswestry then across to Ellesmere and Wem.

I took a different way on new-to-me roads round Oswestry, negotiated muddy lanes on the way to and just after Ellesmere and made good time to Wem where I didn't stop (apart from grabbing a photo o two) as has become usual on this route.

It felt like I had a good tailwind from Wem through Shawbury to Roden and I was cruising at quite a good pace (about 16-18mph). The Met Office disagrees with me though and reckons it was a cross wind so maybe this bike isn't as slow as I thought on the right roads.

Because I was making good time here I decided to extend my intended metric century (already in the bag by Roden) into an imperial one. I also took the opportunity to vary the route again, heading to Walcot and along Bluebell Lane. When I got near The Wrekin there were loads of other cyclists around in groups which made me wonder if there was an event on.

At Cressage the route becomes rather more undulating so I was slower. I made a point of electing a lower gear than I usually would to save the legs for the later climbs, which worked pretty well and I had no trouble winding my way up to the highest point of the ride at Folly Bank. I let a car past at the summit which I then caught up on the descent and kept pace with them right to the bottom of the hill.:hyper: The rest of the ride was pretty straightforward with just being held up by a tractor to report.

Seen on route today: 2 buzzards with kills, 3 supercars (a McLaren, a Ferrari and a BMW Z1), 2 hitchhikers (wasps - one in helmet and 1 in collar - no stings fortunately), lots of cyclists.:okay:

101.7 miles at 13.5 mph moving average (8 hours 30 minutes with the stops). Pleased with that.

View attachment 142628
At Hook-a-Gate early on in the ride. Too early for the pub yet.

View attachment 142629
Less pretty but keeps a lot of people in work. The Muller dairy at Minsterley. Don't know if it's still the case but this plant used to mainly produce own brand desserts for supermarkets.

View attachment 142631

A jump to later in the ride. Just a few people at The Mere in Ellesmere.

View attachment 142632
A peaceful scene on the Shropshire Union Canal at Hampton Bank near Welshampton.

View attachment 142633
Elevenses stop on the way to Wem. Only two cars passed me while on this road, which was quite pleasant.^_^

View attachment 142634
Wem. I like the house with the very rounded bay front.

View attachment 142635
Moving on again, I took a different route after Roden which brought me quite close to The Wrekin.

View attachment 142636
Cardington.

View attachment 142637
And to finish, a favourite spot to pause for a drink, near the summit of the Folly Bank climb.
Old haunts, great memories - thanks for sharing :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7...-4A6E-8CEB-17FBFD096A39?hl=en-GB&v=1473010661

69 miles as a route reccy for next week's Skyride Local.

image.jpeg

Cake and Coffee at Annie's.

image.jpeg

Very nice place.

image.jpeg

The fields are looking a bit 'Autumnal'.

image.jpeg

That cloud parked itself exactly over the gap in the hedge. It's probably aliens.

A bit of a 'mare regarding the published route / Garmin gpx. file being a bit wrong, but that's what reccy rides are for.

A nice route, without the routing gremlins.

:bicycle::thumbsup:. Bring on next week:wahhey:.

Top Bottom