Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
54 miles the journey, Hatton Locks the destination. My usual Thursday loop with a twist, I did the ride on my fixed, the first time I've used the fixed on this route since the spring and the first ride on the Flyer since I put the short cranks and little gear on it, 165 cranks and a sixty four and a half inch gear gives me twenty mph max on the flat and thirty- thirty five comfortably on a descent, over that it starts to get too spinny. I was having fun until about twenty miles from home when I ran out of legs, I'm still recovering from last weeks man flu, nose still blocked, tinnitus and a slight cough, so perhaps todays ride was a bit too much too soon, the last six miles across Coventry was hard, by the time I got onto Beake avenue I just wanted to get off the bike. But it was a lovely day for a bike ride, bright sunny, fresh with a cold stiff breeze, great fun riding out with a tail wind, but it made me work on the way back. So after hardy riding for the last couple of weeks it was nice to get out and put some miles on, I past 4000 miles for the year today after seeming to hover just under it for several weeks.

Well done Dave. A great effort 4000 miles. Excellent.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 12 Perpignan

I had a plan to complete the main traverse route which was too much for Richard. His plan was to take the flat and shorter route into Perpignan. I’d be taking on a lot of miles and just a bit of climbing. So I headed back up the river through the Gorges de St-Georges to climb out of the gorge. The climb was long and steady and sometimes rather slow. The German group I’d chatted with a few days ago came past and we exchanged cheery hellos. My usual tactic when climbing long climbs is to enjoy the flora and fauna as I progress. I was passing large clumps of autumn crocus, something I usually see in gardens at home as an unusual plant. Here it grows wild. It wasn’t the first time I’d spotted it on this trip but it seemed I’d found a hot spot for it.

Eventually I reached the summit of the Col de Jau where I spoke with a Frenchman who was training to ride a local circuit of 80 km and 2400 meters of ascent. I didn’t say anything about what I’d been achieving, just gave him a lot of encouragement. “Bravo”. The Col de Jau marked a climatic change in the landscape. I’d ridden from the temperate zone into the drier mediterranean zone. The flora told me so. I dropped off Jau towards Prades but took a higher route to avoid the busy National. Eventually I crossed it with only a short section to ride. Canigou is the mountain which dominates the view now and my route would take me up onto its flanks. The climb was on a fairly steady gradient but I was flagging a bit so when a likely café appeared I made an effort to carry my bike down several flights of steps only to find it closed and so have to carry the bike back up. So I stopped for a picnic using my emergency rations.

I was watching my height gain from time to time on the Sat Nav so I was a tad surprised when the descent appeared and I lost 250 feet. That was to get me across a ravine and I then had to regain that height before I could get higher. Such is climbing I suppose. At the top of the Col de Palomeres the Mediterranean lay ahead. It was an easy climb to the Col de Xatard with cork oaks having been harvested of bark showing along the way. Now I dropped down into the vineyards with one vineyard in full harvest mode. I found myself on a superb cycle path until I ran into school coming out time and the path full of mums. Not long now and I was at the hotel. Richard had beaten me to it despite his detour to the Gorge de Galamus, a gorge I remember well from a GV Tour. 81 miles and over 10000 feet of climbing again.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Out on the MTB yesterday riding along some South Gloucestershire Bridleways passing thru' Ram Hill, Frampton Cottrell, Latteridge, Chipping Sodbury & Codrington.

IMG_2010.JPG

TeeShot

Veteran
image.jpeg
A birthday ride for me today. Been out enjoying the lanes of Cheshire with two friends. Bright and breezy would describe the weather. A 43 mile loop from Redesmere via Artists Lane, Prestbury, Sutton and Jodrell Bank. Three cafes, three blokes and a combined age of 200+ and I was the junior member at a mere 60!!!
As tradition dictated, cake was eaten by all present

Katherine

Guru
What a lovely autumnal evening's ride down the East Lancs Road path to Haydock yesterday. It was the first time on my own for quite a while so I particularly enjoyed the solitude as well as the blue sky and the stunning sunset, the way everything glowed and caught the light, the long shadows of the trees and clouds on the stubble fields, the sun glinting through the trees, the clean lines of the freshly ploughed fields, new apples on the tree at my turn round point at Haydock. Crunchy leaves, red and purple berries and fallen apples were on the path at various points. Less enjoyable was my stiff neck, the busy traffic at junctions and the cross winds that slowed me down on the way home without actually helping me on the way out.

Three views of the same spot,
IMG_20161005_170400029_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161005_170257512.jpg

IMG_20161005_170317543.jpg

This is my turn round point, a busy motorway junction yet a picturesque apple tree and countryside too :
IMG_20161005_172835967_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161005_172849922.jpg

IMG_20161005_172928822.jpg

I've photographed this tree stump before and it always catches my eye, despite the fact that it's so close to the road and on a corner of a crossing point but I loved the way it glowed in the sun this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20161005_174522064.jpg
    IMG_20161005_174522064.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 76
Free morning for a ride. HOwever just after the previour ride felt like I was coming down with a cold.
It has been one of those that nquite comes, however feeling tired (sleepy) this morning, so giving ride a miss. Might make up with a short one this afternoon.

Anyway got Surrey bike show at Guildford tomorrow, will be going to that with a mind on n+1
No rest here at home either, noisy workmen in

Mrs M

Guru
View attachment 146817 A birthday ride for me today. Been out enjoying the lanes of Cheshire with two friends. Bright and breezy would describe the weather. A 43 mile loop from Redesmere via Artists Lane, Prestbury, Sutton and Jodrell Bank. Three cafes, three blokes and a combined age of 200+ and I was the junior member at a mere 60!!!
As tradition dictated, cake was eaten by all present
Belated happy birthday :birthday:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
2nd (and last) ride of our North Wales holiday (my legs won't be sorry to be back to much-flatter-Gloucestershire!).

Today's target was effectively to do a circuit of Snowdon. Avoiding the A-roads as much as we could added a bit more up, and my first short walk came as we ascended a small road out of Llanrug that was parellel to and south of the A4086 heading towards Llanberis. There was an arrowed bit (my legs don't like arrows...) that I managed, and got a nice cheery wave and a grin from the lady in the car behind who had patiently waited while I struggled to the top. But it wasnt the top - a flattish bit of road lulled me into a false sense of security and then there was another &*$£"$ bit with an arrow on it. Too soon after the last struggle.

Anyway, OH was waiting at the top so we had the first refuelling stop, with a view up the valley with sunbeams coming through the clouds (I only had my phone camera with me, which doesn't cope with that kind of lighting very well).

upload_2016-10-7_16-39-18.png

upload_2016-10-7_16-39-45.png

Then on along the little windy road, and eventually down into Llanberis. Would have been an even nicer bit if the council hadn't gritted the road relatively recently (but that rant should be in a different thread). I was a bit dubious about getting up Llanberis Pass, but although it went on a bit the gradient was never too steep. We had a headwind, but MrS is getting very good at going at my speed and letting me draft him - which must try his patience as he could get up the pass in half the time it takes me!

So next refuelling (and photo) stop at Pen y Pass.
upload_2016-10-7_16-42-19.png

Then the first real reward of the day - downhill to the Pen y Gwryd junction (almost having to pedal downhill into the wind at one point), then turning right down the road into Nantgwynant. This was lovely, with views of Snowdon and the hills beyond Beddgelert that, driving in the car, I don't usually have time to appreciate, so we didn't rush it. We were eventually aiming for a proper cafe stop in Beddgelert, but there is a little yellow road off to the left near the place where the Watkin path up Snowdon leaves the road.

This involved another couple of bits with arrows, but I managed these as the road only went up in installments, with enough flattish bits for a bit of a breather between the steep bits. Reward time again, as the road was mostly gently down through woodland and fields, with views of the surrounding mountains. But once again it would have been so much more enjoyable without the recent &&%$££$ gritting! But the grit did make us appreciate the lovely, beautifully smooth surface of the A4085 when we eventually joined it to go into Beddgelert.

upload_2016-10-7_16-48-49.png

The last leg started up the valley to Rhyd Ddu. This climbs, but very gently, and was only a struggle because my legs were tired. We turned left in Rhyd Ddu to go over the pass to Nantlle - the last col of the day.

upload_2016-10-7_16-51-5.png

Then the third reward - this time the long, mostly gentle, descent did NOT have loose gravel on it! :wahhey:Then a bit of meandering through the villages at the foot of the hills to get back to our holiday cottage. A good end to the week, and I gave myself a virtual pat on the back for getting up Llanberis Pass.

https://www.strava.com/activities/737200910

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
What a lovely autumnal evening's ride down the East Lancs Road path to Haydock yesterday......
[.
If you don't mind me asking, what type of bar bag is that, Katherine? Mine is too big for my number one bike as it gets in the way of the gear cables. I've been looking for something a little bit smaller and yours looks just about right.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Today was the day for my October metric half, and for a change I had some company. One of my work colleagues had overheard of my intentions and so it was set that we'd meet on Chobham, and I'd plot us a route out to Newlands Corner which had been on my 'to do' list for ages. Pace wasn't an issue, said colleague is a rather well built and very fit chap, so off we went at 18mph ish on the flat, fast for me but being in a pair made it seem easier. Out of Chobham we headed towards Maybury before Burpham and up Trodds Lane to the café. Pleased I got up that in one hit, never even used the lowest gear which I was pleased with, my companion put me to shame and went up it on the big ring....
After a nice coffee and rather nice cake from the café (take note @CarlP ;)), it was back the way we came, going down the hill to West Clandon where I reached the giddy heights of 39.6mph, exciting enough for me thank you very much. The route back to Chobham took in Ripley and Pyrford, some of the Ride London 100 route albeit in reverse, before a rather rough A road run.
Great ride out, and certainly one to repeat. Need a better route out though, I managed to put us on the A320 for a couple of miles which whilst we covered it quickly, had more traffic than I'd have liked for an enjoyable ride.
44.6 miles all told, at a decent average of 15.6mph given the hills.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Day 13 Mediterranean

Today was an extra (and last) day as one had been planned to enable logistical issues to be sorted out. In the event the logistics had proved to be much simpler so I took the opportunity to ride to St Cyprien Plage for a dip in the Med. The ride was fairly uneventful although traffic at the coast could have been lighter and I could have done without the horrid head wind which had sprung up. Nevertheless I got a lovely swim in the sea. My second dip in the Med this year which must be a recent record. 29 miles with very little in the way of uphill. The wind replaced the climbing tho’.

So the Stats from my Pyrenean Adventure you might ask (or maybe not). Well 689 miles and over 101,000 feet of climbing. But mostly some wonderful roads, views, food and encounters along the way. What's not to like?

Katherine

Guru
If you don't mind me asking, what type of bar bag is that, Katherine? Mine is too big for my number one bike as it gets in the way of the gear cables. I've been looking for something a little bit smaller and yours looks just about right.

Btr Bicycle Handlebar Bike Bag
£ 9.99
I got it via Halfords web exclusive from BTR Direct ( not available as click and collect) a few weeks ago because my old one was worn out. It took a lot of research to find it but it's just the right size for the bits and pieces that I like to carry around with me, but a bit more fiddly to take on and off at cafe stops than my old one. I thought the flat top would be useful to see a mobile phone or some route directions but due to the shape of the stem it tilts away from me however much I tighten the straps.

Top Bottom