Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy

Veteran
After walking the Dod with wife a nice 5 miles. Then a spot of lunch in the Garden. We ended up another 3 hours of Gardening. Anyway. Lit the BBQ and shot of on the Mountain bike for hour while the BBQ did its thing. Came back and fired burgers & sausages on while the Mrs did the salad

Attachments

• IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 35
Sun out shorts on and off towards Holmfirth, got there and thought lets tackle Holme moss, Doh. Luckily i caught my lungs as they fell out towards the floor. ^_^ Would you belief it when I got to the top and recovered, after a bar of chocky, went and tackled Snake Pass. Luckily the GF met me at Derwent reservoir and carried my broken knees and me home in the car.:okay:

View attachment 346572

View attachment 346573
A good ride, one that I used to do a lot, but then carried on, and back over The Strines, if I was still feeling okay (or into Sheffield, & up A61, if not!)
It's a fair old continuous climb, all the way from Clayton West/Scissett, all the way up to 'Sovereign Cross-Roads', isn't it?
Then another one, from leaving Holmfirth, practically all the way to the summit of HolmeMoss

Old jon

Guru
Quite a few days since I have ridden, it is amazing how real life intrudes on riding a bike. Oh well, just get on with it. Gears today, Wetherby as a turning point and the only details to settle are the roads to ride on.

A good start is taking the bike out of the door. Success!! Point in the direction of away and start pedalling. Visit the wasteland of Holbeck, and cross the canal to ride under the Dark Arches yet again. This eventually reaches Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road and the second crossing of the river. The long ride up the road to the Oakwood Clock is followed by the even longer drag up the A 58 to the Ring Road and the right turn onto Red Hall Lane, where thing ease off at last. Turn onto Thorner Lane and ride through the village, out up Church Hill and along the road to Bramham. In this direction, and with a tailwind, the road seems downhill for most of the way. A comforting illusion. Around the silly bit at the top of the village, down the hill and turn left for Clifford, where the parked cars outnumber the able bodied residents. Ruffling feathers here, but what the heck.

There are a large choice of roads, at least four, out of Clifford. I took Cinder Lane, which leads into the southern bit of Boston Spa, where I turned left and wended my way towards the Wattle Syke roundabout. There is the heck of an acreage of tarmac around there, and I escaped it riding towards Wetherby, really the next roundabout north. On what might be called a return route, I am usually boring, and there was no change today. The A 58, no sidetracks, just all the way back, passing the Clock at Oakwood again before the underbelly of Leeds centre and a jaunt through a tiny corner of Hunslet pointed me home. Oh, the numbers, 32.3 miles, 1200 feet defying Mr Newton and a 13.6mph average speed which is on the top side of good for this bloke. Great ride!

Even the map has the thumb up

10042017.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Despite some lurgy I set out on the first leg of my journey home. It wasn't a bad morning but it still wasn't warm. Any wind that blew was a cross wind which the hedges sheltered me from. I'm beginning to get the hang of the route now although bits of it are still to be fully committed to memory. I wonder whether to report the lane which bypasses Aspatria. It really is very badly damaged. Perhaps reporting might produce a fix. There are some nice village names on the route. Blennerhasset, Fletchertown and Hardcake come to mind. Hardcake must have a dreadful cafe :laugh: I'd sorted a more direct route from the outskirts of Carlisle into the station. That made things a lot easier. The station was drafty but I discovered the heated waiting room this time. That helped as did the coffee while I waited. The train delivered me on time in Birmingham where my home bound connection had been cancelled. That meant the next train was packed with folks. Good humour and the British stiff upper lip won the day. So I was dropped off with just the one mile downhill to home and some wifely cooked dinner. Nice. 34 smiles

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yesterday was the GHS Pocklington ride - 100 miles in 8 hours - which I rode with my 12 year-old and my club, Ravensthorpe CC.

For once the day was sunny, with the odd mishap but there were close to 100 club riders taking part. My worst was stopping to help someone and then ending up on a 12-mile detour with my child in the main group. I started tiring at the 10 mile to go point and he set off solo uphill, finishing about 4 minutes ahead of me in 7 hours 32 mins. A good day overall and he was apparently the youngest rider ever to finish in the time limit: https://www.strava.com/activities/935078796

Him (on R) not me - I was still on the detour:

17835059_10212880057259907_566069252969191848_o.jpg

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Haven't had a ride for a couple of weeks (spent 6 days away over last weekend walking half of the Cleveland Way).
So today, dawning nice and sunny (and having spent most of the equally sunny weekend gardening instead of riding!), I decided that the working week could wait until late morning and got my half century (metric) in for the month.
I have a mostly flat route on the Vale of Berkeley that I use for my metric half centuries when I am feeling lazy, and today I did this but in reverse. It is a good thing to do this now and then, as sometimes you notice things differently when approaching from a different angle.
Strava
[Edit]Relive

Oldbury on Severn church across the fields
Oldbury on Severn church.jpg

Tindale Monument at North Nibley from Damery
Tindale's monument.jpg

Little Avon River at Charfield Mill
Little Avon River at Charfield Mill.jpg

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Abandoned the wife and children in the holiday cottage and zipped 16 miles along the dikes and past tulip fields somewhere near Amsterdam. Gorgeous sunshine, amazing cycling infrastructure - I really had no idea how good the Dutch have it - and the smell of the blooms in the air. Perfect ride, although the perfect surfaces and pancake flat landscape made my mountain bike a ridiculous (and slightly tiring) choice of transport.

KEEF

Veteran
IMG_1468.JPG
Burnopfield no sun

https://www.relive.cc/view/936835082

I was back a bit late to post this yesterday, but better late than never.

I rode the 30 ish miles to Calshot activities centre

IMG_4130.JPG

A nice evening for it.

IMG_4129.JPG

Water water everywhere.

IMG_4131.JPG

Some of the Saints Foundation riders, having a go at fixed wheel riding for the first time.
IMG_4135.JPG

All together now.

IMG_4138.JPG

View from above the banking.

I didn't ride, due to old injuries sustained during fixed wheel Velodrome riding in years gone by, meaning slowing down is an unpleasant experience. I did manage 1 lap, but I couldn't risk aggravating my knee, given I had to do 30 odd miles on the road home, in the dark, after the session. The rest of the guys enjoyed themselves though.

About 60 miles done, in total, a couple of hundred yards of them on the track :laugh:.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lovely ride yesterday, once school holiday babysitting had finished.
I eventually got out at about 15:15 to bag a local Trig point near Horton. The nearest I could get was a view across a field though.
IMG_1191.JPG

From there, I headed through to Salcey but didn't stop for long as it was still heaving.
I decided to drop onto the canal bank by Stoke Bruerne and head home off-road.

IMG_1195.png

Blisworth tunnel, the second longest UK canal tunnel starts here....

IMG_1198.JPG

And pops out 3,076 yards later... I've travelled through in a friends barge and it's quite spooky!!
As sort of expected, I had a visit from the p*ncture fairy, but was underway after 5 or 10 minutes for some uneventful miles back to Northampton.

IMG_1232.JPG

As I was on 38 miles nearing home, I added the extra couple around a track near the golf course to make it a 40 mile ride.
Not cold for most of the ride, but after Sunday, I was glad I'd worn leggings, and not my shorts, especially as the sun was getting low by the time I got home just before 19:00

https://www.strava.com/activities/936773038

:smile:

Buck

Guru
Home at a reasonable time tonight so decided to jump on the bike ahead of collecting the offspring from karate.

Had a little glitch with the Garmin (it had applied an update last week and seemed to have reset itself) so the ride didn't start until a short way in. Despite the sun shine the wind was blowing - the weather forecast seemed to have it right - it certainly felt like 40mph+ gusts!

I rode up Marsh Lane to the top of the village and was instantly questioning my judgement of going out but I decided I would just grin and bear it and make my non-aerodynamic body as aerodynamic as possible!!

Along the top Penistone Road and then right up Piper Wells (yes I'd decided to tackle the big hill rather than go the longer (and busier) way around!) Boy, that wind - at one point it was almost pushing me back down the hill and a gust of wind made a nervous wobble on the climb! At the top, winded but still moving I cracked onto the Haddingley drag and down the S bends turning left on Lower Maythorn Lane.

Certainly not a good day for the wind turbine (this was a casualty of the Christmas storms but still!!)

IMG_3882.JPG

Riding on and up past the windmills, the dry mud on the road from the farm vehicles made it feel like a cobbled road - the wind at my back helped propel me forward, sneaking in a couple of PBs along the way. Up the steep but short climb past the viewing platform then back towards home but this time into that nasty wind.

Not pleasant as the road is exposed all of the way but again, just hunkering down and keeping pedalling was the order of the day. This was the theme for the remaining couple of miles home.

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 18.46.35.png

12.4 miles 902 ft of climbing

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Whilst popping into town today, I bumped into my mate Dan who said he was thinking about going out for a ride later that morning. Birthday-present shopping done, change of bike, and we met up.
Historically we have done few rides together that haven't involved a pause at one or two pubs, and today wasn't ever going to be one of them.:whistle: We ended up wandering around the Shotley peninsular, stopping and having the odd pint, whilst enjoying the sun, the emerging greenery, and inadvertently adding another point to my half-century challenge total. ^_^

This at the rear of Erwarton Hall (Where Ann Boleyn's heart is reputed to have been buried in the nearby chruch) - I don't know if the beasts are Alpacas or Lamas.

1.JPG

And a selfie at Pin Mill. (Fourth pub.)

2.JPG

Top Bottom